PDA

View Full Version : FTL by NYE 2019!

Crystawni
January 14th, 2019, 08:38 PM
*shuffles a few beanbags around the room*

Oh, hi! :o Come on in! There are nibblies to the left and liquid refreshments to the right. Help yourself!

Okay, on with the thread! Soooooo, who's heading to FTL (Finger Tip Length) this year with me? I'm stretching the timeline to the very end of the year for this one as I could use all the days I can! :p I'm at classic now (~42"), and may or may not make it to FTL (~47") by the end of the year, depending on average growth rate and trims. In any case, I'd love some company as I get into the leggy part of the journey, which is most probably the last leg on the quest for length for me.

*flops into beanbag, knees at my ears, glad that the hair is up and not trapping me oh so awkwardly in this crackling crumply dumpling*

:grin:

JRC
January 14th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Your hair is looking really healthy, Crystawni. You don't have too far to go for your goal length, so you may well get there by the end of the year. I would really like to join you, as I have less than two inches to get to fingertip-length. My hair doesn't grow much at all, but since it used to be fingertip-length, or possibly slightly longer, I know it can get there, and it really ought to manage two inches sometime this year.

Crystawni
January 14th, 2019, 09:56 PM
Thanks, JRC, and welcome aboard! I hope the next two or so inches travel easily and well for you!

JRC
January 14th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Thank you, Crystawni. It's great to be almost back to my normal length, after a "trim" from mid-thigh to waist, and that was four years ago. It's been worth the wait, though. With the rate that my daughter's hair grows, I'm almost worried that her hip-lenghth hair will overtake mine soon. I think mine used to grow really quickly too, when I was in my mid to late teens. At least it's finally getting there again now. I hope you get a growth spurt this year.

Reyn127
January 14th, 2019, 10:48 PM
I'll join you! I have a few inches to reach FTL, so I bet I can get there in about a year. Yay!

Crystawni
January 14th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Yeah, that's quite the trim, and journey, JRC! And I swear the growth feels so much slower at this length (it's too far away from my eyes to properly notice the markers compared to the upper body). As for even measuring, I'm struggling with that, too.

Yay, Reyn! Welcome and happy growing! It's good to have you here.

zashin66
January 15th, 2019, 01:32 AM
I'm looking for fingertip length right now. Perhaps I could bring in my arm chair to a corner of the room and settle back with a good book. I promise to be very quiet and not disturb the dog. (I work nights and might be up and around at of hours you see)

Crystawni
January 15th, 2019, 02:07 AM
Hehehe, your night is my day (okay, evening right now...), zashin! Welcome! I hope you have a comfy stay :puppy: (I think the dog likes you)!

zashin66
January 15th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Hehehe, your night is my day (okay, evening right now...), zashin! Welcome! I hope you have a comfy stay :puppy: (I think the dog likes you)!

Thank you for the warm welcome:o

kikuhoshi
January 16th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Know what? I'll join, at least as a lurker. My hair's grown quite a bit over the last few weeks, from TBL at the start of December to about an inch or so from classic now, and this is my slow season. Don't think I'll officially make it to FTL until next year, but it'll be fun to see if I can. :)

sophia_
January 16th, 2019, 05:33 PM
This might be do-able, I have just under 6 inches to go, if I trim less than an inch I might reach it.

Crystawni
January 16th, 2019, 06:34 PM
It will be interesting to see how we go! I'm more for enjoying the journey, which means I regularly trim for looks and hair happiness instead of going long at all costs, but that means this year to FTL will be down to the wire. Wherever we end up, it will be a looooooong year full of new (and old for those been there, done that) things our hair will throw at us. :p Welcome, kikuhoshi and sophia!

zashin66
January 16th, 2019, 10:29 PM
(quietly lurking)

Crystawni
January 16th, 2019, 10:32 PM
Hi, Zashin!

oops.

Hi, Zashin! :whistle: How's it hanging? :grin:

zashin66
January 17th, 2019, 01:44 AM
Hi, Zashin!

oops.

Hi, Zashin! :whistle: How's it hanging? :grin:

shhhhhh!!. I'm lurking..... Gonna jump out and scare Chromis when she comes by... On the countthread

Crystawni
January 17th, 2019, 01:52 AM
:oops: *hides behind hair* :couch:

erm, smiley dude, I said hair, not chair...

:eye:

Luna Starsetta
January 17th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Walks in taking a look around...It looks like i fit here better than the classic by christmas thread. If i go by Cyrstawni's siggy then i'm at palm stretched and classic while wet and combed straight. i think this is attainable by the end of the year! dream length if i get to it!!

Crystawni
January 17th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Yay and welcome to where dreams become reality, Luna Starsetta! Your journey sounds like it will be much like mine! So settle on in--we're here for the long haul!

Luna Starsetta
January 17th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Yay and welcome to where dreams become reality, Luna Starsetta! Your journey sounds like it will be much like mine! So settle on in--we're here for the long haul!

Pleased to be here and meet your acquaintance. I am planning no trims only S/D in the middle of the year or when needed!

kikuhoshi
January 20th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Joined as a joke/wish, but I may actually make it: I measured my hair yesterday, and it's at wrist length. I have small hands & short fingers, so maybe 5 inches to go? Kinda funny, but I guess I didn't realize how long my hair actually is.

Beeboo123
January 21st, 2019, 02:07 AM
I wish i could get there, but i’m planning for quite a few trims this year. Still, i’ll try!

Crystawni
January 23rd, 2019, 02:43 AM
Welcome, Beeboo! It's great to see you posting again! As for actually getting to FTL this year, I'm all for having fun with the lengths and snips we'll be up for, so we'll see, hey.

kikuhoshi, I envy your small hands at this time! I did measure mine (longish palm and fingers), and I have less to go via my hand from "somewhere classicish" on my palm to middle-fingertip than what I worked out with my hand held down (which is awkward to get a decent number for), so FTL may even sneak up on me. :shrug:

kikuhoshi
January 23rd, 2019, 08:46 AM
(Snip) kikuhoshi, I envy your small hands at this time! I did measure mine (longish palm and fingers), and I have less to go via my hand from "somewhere classicish" on my palm to middle-fingertip than what I worked out with my hand held down (which is awkward to get a decent number for), so FTL may even sneak up on me. :shrug:

Finally, they're good for something. My years of "oh, I like these gloves - aaaand they're too big," shall not be in vain! haha And yes, trying to get FTL is so awkward. I ended up having my child measure out my current hair length and FTL by using a bit of twine. Teamwork! :D

AmaryllisRed
January 23rd, 2019, 09:38 AM
Following this thread... debating... I am anticipating classic this summer and could quite possibly reach fingertip by the end of the year. (Short fingers for the win!)
But my goal is supposed to be classic and then maintain.
Buuut you've got beanbags and refreshments...

This is a hard decision!

Luna Starsetta
January 23rd, 2019, 09:53 AM
Following this thread... debating... I am anticipating classic this summer and could quite possibly reach fingertip by the end of the year. (Short fingers for the win!)

This is a hard decision!

my advice would be get to classic and judge the ends if they seem to be in good shape i would say go for it! but in the end its totally up to you!!!

Starrydandelion
January 23rd, 2019, 10:31 AM
I have no idea where my silly hair is willing to take me this year, but I wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck with reaching FTL! :flowers:

AmaryllisRed
January 23rd, 2019, 11:42 AM
my advice would be get to classic and judge the ends if they seem to be in good shape i would say go for it! but in the end its totally up to you!!!

I think that's what I'm going to do.
It's already been over two years since my last cut... my ends seem to be in good shape but my hemline is pretty uneven and getting worse, thanks to layers I had put in back in 2016 and then the overachiever hairs growing faster than others.
We'll see where it goes. I won't cut before summer at the earliest anyway.

Reyn127
January 23rd, 2019, 01:15 PM
So I just measured, and it looks like I have about 5 inches until I reach fingertip. Considering I get about 6 1/4 inches of growth per year, I should definitely get there, given I don’t go too nuts with trims....

Crystawni
January 23rd, 2019, 09:00 PM
Finally, they're good for something. My years of "oh, I like these gloves - aaaand they're too big," shall not be in vain! haha And yes, trying to get FTL is so awkward. I ended up having my child measure out my current hair length and FTL by using a bit of twine. Teamwork! :D

Taking a leaf out of your book, I enlisted the hubster for a re-measure, and whaddaya know? FTL is 116.5cm on me (117cm is 46"), not 120cm (47"+) like I previously had. So, in one swift stretch of the tape, I've already knocked an inch off the trek, with about 4" to go. :lol:

This is a hard decision!

Just plonk yourself down, already. :p We'd love to have you join us! Whatever happens, happens. But the more we have in the swishy butt-zone, the better! :cool:

I have no idea where my silly hair is willing to take me this year, but I wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck with reaching FTL! :flowers:

Heeeeey, Starry! What's that? Silly hair? Butt, butt, butt! It's glorious! Are you going to come on in, or just stand there shadowing the doorway?

So I just measured, and it looks like I have about 5 inches until I reach fingertip. Considering I get about 6 1/4 inches of growth per year, I should definitely get there, given I don’t go too nuts with trims....

We can play a game of pass-the-scissors. Once one of us have trimmed, we give the scissors up to whoever is next. Then we wait our turn again. Or we can try to hide them under the beanbags, but I get the feeling we may end up with a sea of beans floating around if those things get their jabby on. Oh, and WELCOME!

Anyone need ice in their drinks, or is it just me melting over here? I heard there's been a bit of snow and brrrrr stuff going on in the (way up) north. That'd make freshly-washed, air-drying hair a bit ccccold, hey? A bit of a change from the humid back-and-lap-blanket mine becomes at this time of year.

AmaryllisRed
January 23rd, 2019, 10:34 PM
Hey, you've convinced me to stay!
No scissors for me, though!
It is freezing here. The hair blanket is quite nice. :)

I need to get someone to help me measure how far FTL is. It's so hard to do on your own!

Crystawni
January 24th, 2019, 12:44 AM
Yay! Now can you fan some of that brrrrness thisaway? Just think of the motion as heating your muscles to keep warm. :p

Okee dokee on the scissors no-go. *loops a red label onto the shiny snippers and writes ANT* (AmaryllisRed No Touchy)

As for measuring FTL on your lonesome, it's like Yoda yoga. Try you must. Muscle cramp you will. I can't imagine how we'll go if we're heading further south! Tape the measuring tape to our stiffened, outstretched fingers of one hand while holding the starter bit against our foreheads with the other, stand on the very end of the tape for tautness, and find something to stab at the thighs and tape to mark the next milestones? I'd need a longer tape measure. And something to mark with. I wonder if the dog can be trained to use a marker? :puppy:

Working from the ground up sounds like a better option. :wethree:

Starrydandelion
January 24th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Crystawni, can I unofficially join? Lurker join? :p

Reyn127
January 24th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Lol! I actually tape my measuring tape to my forehead, put the measuring tape over my head, and usually try to grip it between my knees or something. That leaves both hands free to try and find my ends and lay them against the tape. I do have a 2m long tape, so it’s on the floor when I’m standing, which I’m sure makes it easier to use at these lengths than a standard one.
Though I’ve definitely been measuring my hair less often after getting past tailbone or so last year....

zashin66
January 24th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Well I waited and Chromis never came by. It was one of other moderators..... So I'll probably make FTL, Hello everyone. :puppykisses: Got a bad cold. Need to plop on a bean bag chair and garner sympathy points until I warm up and heal up. Sigh..... I hate it when my throat is too sore to swallow well.

Crystawni
January 24th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Of course, Starry! *makes a comfy lurker zone spot over in a corner near the refreshments* :couch:

Reyn: knees! Good thinking. I've been more lax as well as less caught up in accuracy for measuring since TBL too (although I've had a frozen shoulder that wasn't helping at all). The longer it's getting, the more awkward it's getting to measure (I'm running out of hand flex!). And since I trimmed the layers out, my hemline is a bit thick and wide to pin against the tape with my thumbnail like I've always done. I can see a trip to the haberdashery in the near future for that longer tape.

zashin, the window over there has a view to the tropics and may help to warm you up. It's a bit drenched today, though, with flooding rivers falling from the sky, but the green palms and mango trees may give you a get-better vibe. *drags beanbag chair with zashin and the pupdog that's snuggled in to the window* Ice? Would you like to suck on some ice? There's a honey and lemon drink here, too, to help that throat.

https://i.imgur.com/S7gicJQ.jpg

AmaryllisRed
January 24th, 2019, 08:15 PM
That looks beautiful!

Crystawni
January 25th, 2019, 11:13 PM
Ta! That's been my view out the back of the sky crying for the past few days (I cropped the 6' fenceline below, so the trees are quite lofty).

zashin66
January 27th, 2019, 03:30 AM
zashin, the window over there has a view to the tropics and may help to warm you up. It's a bit drenched today, though, with flooding rivers falling from the sky, but the green palms and mango trees may give you a get-better vibe. *drags beanbag chair with zashin and the pupdog that's snuggled in to the window* Ice? Would you like to suck on some ice? There's a honey and lemon drink here, too, to help that throat.

https://i.imgur.com/S7gicJQ.jpg

Shure do appreciate the company.....*leans back in beanbag chair and stretches*. *turns head for coughing spell*. That honey and lemon did the trick thank you Crystawni. I'm feeling much better after my nap. *Pets puppy dog a bit*. What a beautiful background to relax with. Guess that rain keeps you so green.

*lazily shares funny story*

I grew up in the Arizona Sonoran Desert. Anything green there you can be sure was something that had been carefully cultivated. You never walked on the lawn of some else's house etc. All kinds of etiquette regarding this due to the dry climate. Then I moved to Texas in DFW area with much more rain. One day someone told me to drive out to their house. So I did. But I had to call them from my car to ask where to park because there was only grass. They spoke to me like I was a crazy person for asking. They said just park on the grass and it took some convincing for me to do that. In Arizona, parking on the grass could get you sued for destruction of property because parking on the grass meant killing the lawn. Even just driving over it could take weeks to heal up the mess left. But in Texas DFW area it was no problem. Definitely a culture shock from desert thinking to everything grows thinking.

*Stretches again*. Thank you for the good company. :wink::flower:

Luna Starsetta
January 28th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Oh how I love reading this thread and being in it. Such a beautiful view i have a half decent one myself but still very snowy here. going down to 10* soon. cuddles with the fiance are the best right now. Also no scissors for me either i'm going for classic by my wedding in july and FTL by the end of the year! i have a new job so i may not be as active as i used to be. but at least i will check in with measurements the next one being on the 1st by the fiance. excited and hoping for .5 of growth... maybe more i wouldn't mind... Gets some hot tea and gingerly sits down trying not to spill any. How is everyone doing?

AmaryllisRed
January 28th, 2019, 01:40 PM
It's so cold here. And I hate being cold. I'm over winter and we've got two more months of it yet.

I'm trying not to measure or take any length shots until June but that doesn't mean I'm not constantly checking the mirror to see how it's going. I'm so weak.

I'm really solidly mid-butt. I tipped my head back in the shower and it was mid-thigh and it felt AWESOME so I definitely don't think I'm stopping anytime soon.

Luna Starsetta
January 28th, 2019, 04:45 PM
AmaryllisRed: I have to say it's fun to pretend I most definitely have been found guilty of tipping my head back in the shower to see where the hair touches. Oh how much I wish it would get there now!!! lol. But over time.

I may update less due to a new job. However i'll be sure to check in a few times a month or so. probably around the 1st (measuring day) and the 20th (length picture check) of each month. Happy growing all.:thumbsup:

Crystawni
January 28th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Snoooooooow. Oh how I'd love some of that to roll in right now. Just for a minute or two. :cool:

zashin, I've lived all over the place from the driest state on the driest continent (desert, bushfires, and dust storms), to just north of the wettest towns we have (over 4000 ml/160" per year average), and can sooooo relate! Even in Az, it's a mash of temps and ways to live. My cousins grew up in Flagstaff, and snow was the norm for winter.

Amaryllis, I'm not a fan of the cold, either, but living in perpetual summer can get soooooo boring. And green. So much green. I miss the colours of the seasons. But cold to the bone? Nope. Nup. Brrrrrrrrrr. Hot chocolate? We need hot chocolate! *scampers to make a batch*

As for length, I'm not even bothered? I don't know why, either. I'll be doing my usual monthly length recording in a few days, but am kinda happy with where I'm at and am not racing for more. It will get there when it gets there, I guess. It may be due to my texture, though, as I'm visually around TBL when my hair gets its boing on, so it doesn't seem like it's growing at all most days. Ignorance is bliss. :grin:

Luna, congrats with your new job, and good luck with it!

*holds mugs of steaming yum*

Anyone for a cuppa?

AmaryllisRed
January 28th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Mmmm, I love hot chocolate!

Reyn127
January 29th, 2019, 11:40 AM
*raises hand* if it's hot chocolate, sign me up!! I can never get enough ;)

Luna Starsetta
January 30th, 2019, 09:16 AM
i'll take some before i start and thank you crystawni!

AmaryllisRed
January 30th, 2019, 09:30 AM
I woke with such a headache. What am I going to do with this mop that won't hurt?

Crystawni
January 30th, 2019, 09:12 PM
*sips on cyber hot chocky* Mmmmm, chocolate!

I woke with such a headache. What am I going to do with this mop that won't hurt?

Cut off your head! Fixed. :silly: I often find a gentle head massage helps to start, and nape-ish hairdos (mine are actually made at ear height, but bulk downwards) done with my most agreeable hairtoy (Jeter 4 pronger or Quattro 4 prong button fork), spinpins (maaaaaaybe--they sometimes dig in) or soft scrunchie. And as I've posted waaaaaaaaaaaay later in the day for you, this is all moot. How did you go?

My ends have been snarky at me lately, even after clarifying, trimming and all that. So I've reverted to ROO with grape seed oil as my puddle of choice, and after the first wash, all was good in the land of buttstuff. Second wash down now after a few days, and my hair is drying. Hoping those ends are still in the happy zone! They certainly get a bit more finicky at this length for me, and I'm so glad we've got the arsenal of longhair knowledge and experience at our fingertips here.

AmaryllisRed
January 30th, 2019, 09:25 PM
I wore Madora braids most of the day (good weight distribution) and when I got tired of it I reverted to a low nautilus with a jeterfork!

I hope your ends are still happy!
Mine recovered from the Maple Syrup Incident but I snipped off about 30 splits this morning. I think I'm going to have to be more mindful about wearing it up-- and not just braids!

Crystawni
January 30th, 2019, 09:42 PM
Ooooh, Madora braids are so swish! I've only attempted and accomplished French braids (Dutchies confuzzle my fingers) once fairly recently as my hair loves to web and tangle, even by the time the braid is at around neck length. I miss the look of them, though. And yup, weight distribution is key. Funny where you ended up, though! :rolling:

I've used maple syrup as a honey substitute in my SMT a few years back. It was... different. :p Glad it worked out for you. Boo for the splits. I still find quite a few (if I bother looking for the microscopic bloody things) even though my ends are tucked up behind my buns (hair buns!) most of the time.

ETA: Ends are great still! Yay! *pats happy little travellers*

Reyn127
January 31st, 2019, 12:34 AM
Oh my goodness you guys, am I not the only one who is getting headaches from updos lately?? My hair has to be up for work, and my head has been hurting so badly from snug/high updos these past few weeks.... I haven’t even been wearing my hair very tight, it’s just so heavy. I’ve been trying to pin braids up and around my head, but that doesn’t always do it, either.

Ylva
January 31st, 2019, 04:31 AM
My ends have been snarky at me lately, even after clarifying, trimming and all that. So I've reverted to ROO with grape seed oil as my puddle of choice, and after the first wash, all was good in the land of buttstuff. Second wash down now after a few days, and my hair is drying. Hoping those ends are still in the happy zone! They certainly get a bit more finicky at this length for me, and I'm so glad we've got the arsenal of longhair knowledge and experience at our fingertips here.

Sorry for intruding. I just wanted to thank you for this, it further reminded me that I definitely should park my hair around TBL to get rid of the last damaged bits before continuing onwards. I think it'll save me a lot of brainpower to explore the butt-zone with healthier ends; the end-troubles are plentiful enough as they are without old chemical damage.

Crystawni
January 31st, 2019, 05:26 AM
Naw, Ylva, happy to have you drop by! You're welcome any time! It sounds like your journey will be a buttload of fun in any case. :p Getting rid of old damage is what I'd do, too, before heading further south, especially as it also offers you safety in numbers (I've been trimming to thicken my hem for a few years).

Reyn, I can't even do high buns anymore. When I try, they last maybe an hour at most? My scalp has forgotten how to behave with all that hair piled up there. It only wants stuff on the down low. So, to get that higher do, I sometimes do a French twist, and bun the tail up high. That seems to confuzzle my follicles enough for them to behave, and the smaller bun is easier to pin (the twist eats quite a bit of length). Bonus is, it doesn't look half bad, either (I always leave face framers out for softness).

AmaryllisRed
January 31st, 2019, 08:21 AM
I don't usually get headaches from my hair. I get headaches from a lack of caffeine (darn cold snap) but different hairstyles exacerbate it.
What helps are styles like the Madora, root braids (ideally with the ends bunned up), and low buns with forks. And the more spread out I can make the bun, the better. Big and flat rather than tall and poofy.

Crystawni
January 31st, 2019, 07:33 PM
It's pinch and a punch day in the land south of the equator and ahead of time, so I did attempted some measuring of the tresses, and hubs came up to me with his head tilted, and offered to help. :rolling: Yes, I got a bit twisted trying to wrangle the ends to stretch against the tape..! Anyway, we both actually came up with the same number :bigeyes:, which is 108.5cm/42 5/8". I'm pretty stoked with that, as I'd trimmed last month but am 1cm longer than last month's pre-trim length (which means growth of 1.5cm or more as I'd been fiddling with the hemline shape). So, now I'm roughly (ruffly? :puppy:) 3 3/8" from FTL. :cool: And here's me saying I'm not bothered by length... :rollin:

JRC
February 1st, 2019, 02:51 AM
That's really great news, Crystawni. I've always wondered whether hair grows quicker in warmer climates, especially when mine has so many dormant times, yet my friend in Florida seems to gain so many inches, in the space of a few months. You're sure to make your goal, and probably much sooner than you were expecting.

If you've got any heat to spare where you are at the moment, please send some in my direction! We've only had a tiny bit of snow this year, but it's just too cold, and spring is months away still.

Crystawni
February 1st, 2019, 03:22 AM
Thanks, JRC! Are you still ahead of your daughter's growth? *fingers crossed* I really reckon you'll be outreached by hair sooner than me. My growth is about average, but I swear it seems so much slower at times although my chart says otherwise, showing fairly regular increments between one and two centimetres regardless of where I've been relocated to the past few years. Mayhaps mine's still got British blood dictating what it does? :p (The only genetics I know is my mum's side, and there were a fair few generations living in Nottingham before heading to Western Australia in 1929.)

*fans some of this hot, muggy yuckness northaways* I'm happy to share! :wink:

JRC
February 1st, 2019, 05:01 AM
Thank you for the warm weather floating this way, Crystawni! It was so cold on Wednesday night, that the lids froze shut on our recycling bins. My daughter's hair certainly hasn't caught up with mine yet - hers is past hip, and heading for BCL. I can see that it's growing though, and it's so much thicker than mine. I keep telling her that she should make the most of it, at her age (18 next month), in case it slows down when she gets older, as mine has. I hadn't thought about genetics and geographical location. We have Irish on my Mum's side, and Canadian genes on my Dad's side. I definately have his fine / thin hair. My younger daughter has baby fine hair, too.

It's interesting to hear that you had family in Nottingham, as we almost considered moving there last year (long story about a very short relationship, which is thankfully over now!). My Step-Brother and Step-Sister have lived in Australia for over 20 years, and I don't think they'd want to move back here now. My Step-Sister tried, for a few months, but then she changed her mind, and went back to Australia.

Crystawni
February 1st, 2019, 11:17 PM
It's a small world, isn't it. Hubs' family are from southern Wales (his dad) and southern Manchester (his mum, and two older sisters), and there's such back and forth across the world. Not for hubs and I since we've been together, though (oh, heck, that's going to be 30 years in August :bigeyes:). Hopefully one day. If it's cold enough to freeze shut recycling bins, I'd be in awe, seriously. It's not something I've experienced.

JRC
February 2nd, 2019, 03:29 AM
It certainly seems like a small world sometimes. If you and your husband ever do want to visit the UK, definately do this in July or August - any other time would just be too much of a shock, with our temperatures here. I'm guessing that even your coldest winter would seem warm to us, though. My Dad visited Australia a few years ago, for his 70th Birthday and said that the snakes, spiders and aligators terrified him. That's one problem with warmer climates, there are often creatures around. Even here, I get bitten by little bugs every summer, when we go to the park. Fortunately, my daughters never do, but I always forget to use insect repellent, and end up with my legs getting bitten through my clothes.

It's great that you will be celebrating your 30th Wedding Anniversary in August. It sounds like a long time, but I'm sure it doesn't feel like it at all.

I got my daughter to help check whether my hair has grown, and it look like it has managed about half a centimetre. That means 1.5 inches to fingertip, and 4 inches to its previous length. It sounds as though we all might get to our goal, by the end of the year.

Zesty
February 2nd, 2019, 03:12 PM
I'll join. :) I'm planning a one inch trim but I should still safely be there by the end of the year. I might be there significantly sooner stretched. I measured FTL at around 45" and husband measured my hair stretched at 44.25" at the end of December. :bigeyes: When did that happen?

Anyway, it takes a while for my hair to look like it's properly at a milestone at these lengths, my ends are tapered and always bendy from a bun, and it feels a bit like cheating to judge it by its wash day length when it's only like that for an hour or two. :p Longhair problems...

Crystawni
February 2nd, 2019, 08:54 PM
JRC, my hubs used to visit there over Christmas during his childhood, and loves to tell me tales of sledding and snow drift dives (with snow banked at the door above his little head). And the only snow I've seen has been here in the Snowy Mountains (we get the Antarctic chill-factor in winter down south), and over in NZ (t'was May, and winter was starting to settle high in the mountains), but I'd love to experience more than making just a few little snow balls that I hurled at my sister. :p Where I live now at the top of Aus, our winter is warmer than summer in the south at times, though. It really would be a heck of a shock!

Oh, and hubs and I got together 30 years ago (and actually met midyear), but won't celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary until 2021. Time has flown!

Yay for some growth! You're soooo close and well and truly in the finger range! I bow to your previous experience at these lengths! :bowtome:

Zesty! 'bout time you showed up! Come on in! :grin: So, really, you're just about there? I... wow, your hair never ceases to amaze me. And yeah, I'm hearing you on look vs length. I think that's why I'm heading to FTL--so it constantly looks between TBL and classic when down and getting its coil or bun waves on.

sophia_
February 3rd, 2019, 09:48 AM
I'm over three inches past classic and my hair still doesn't reach the tip of my thumb, lol. At least knee will be a short journey once I hit fingertip...

Zesty
February 3rd, 2019, 10:25 AM
Crystawni, I decided to grow on for much the same reason. I want it to look CL+ all the time! (Though I can't justify my consideration of knee that way, can I? :lala: )

Reyn127
February 3rd, 2019, 12:50 PM
Sophia_ don’t worry, I’m basically in the same boat. Two inches+ past classic, and still five inches to go until I reach fingertip. Oh, well, that’s what this thread is for!

What is everyone’s goal length here, by the way? I know we’re trying to reach FTL, but do you all have a bigger overall goal for your hair? I think I’m gonna go for upper calf :bigeyes:

AmaryllisRed
February 3rd, 2019, 01:52 PM
I guess my goal is FTL?
Really I'm just growing until dealing with my hair is harder than getting a haircut. And a haircut seems like a huge pain in the butt so...

sophia_
February 3rd, 2019, 02:58 PM
Sophia_ don’t worry, I’m basically in the same boat. Two inches+ past classic, and still five inches to go until I reach fingertip. Oh, well, that’s what this thread is for!

What is everyone’s goal length here, by the way? I know we’re trying to reach FTL, but do you all have a bigger overall goal for your hair? I think I’m gonna go for upper calf :bigeyes:

Long arms club! My goal is knee, but I'd really like to go past that if I can, now that it's closer than I thought. I'll probably keep growing and cut back to knee every so often (but until then I can only dream, lol).

CindyOfTheOaks
February 3rd, 2019, 07:16 PM
I'll give this a go if I may join in.
I'm a bit past classic with some of my hair.
...but I'll have to be in the long arms club too...and long fingers.

AmaryllisRed
February 3rd, 2019, 07:17 PM
Long arms here... but short fingers!
FTL means pinky, right? ;)

Crystawni
February 3rd, 2019, 08:15 PM
Amaryllis, you crack me up!

Because I'm curious, I just measured my arm from shoulder to, lemme see...

*raises middle finger*

and got ~30.5". So at least I know how much length is needed from shoulder. :ponder:

From top wrist "bracelet" to

*raises middle finger again* :p

it's ~7.5".

And that wiggly finger that keeps popping up? It's ~3.25".

So there we have some pretty useless stats to ignore. :bigtongue: Ooooh, but that means I'm around finger-bottom (base, what do we call this?) length right now, so am past palm and in the finger zone!

*wiggles all the fingers excitedly*

Yes, I'm a dolt.

Great to see you here, Cindy!

sophia, I think I'll stop at or around FTL which is around mid-thigh on me. "Think" being the operative word. My hair may have other ideas.

AmaryllisRed
February 3rd, 2019, 08:26 PM
I'm almost at wrist...
From wrist to pinky-tip is 5" and from wrist to middle-finger-tip is 7".
Yeah I'm going for PTL. :)

Crystawni
February 3rd, 2019, 09:31 PM
Well, if you're going for PTL, I'm calling FBL! Who's with me? :eyebrows:

And now I'm going to squeeze that into my siggy because every little bit counts... :silly:

Luna Starsetta
February 3rd, 2019, 09:39 PM
I am currently proud that I grew 1 inch in 1 month. So I'm only an inch away from my classic goal! :Joy: next goal is obviously FTL and I'm really debating knee! But do I dare say I can get there I would love to see my hair at mid calf but... Gee I don't even know if it's possible.... Sigh... But for now I'm hoping I can eventually grow out my old hair dye.. But in time with my soon to be hubby taking over my S/D sessions.

Crystawni
February 3rd, 2019, 10:31 PM
An inch in a month! And ever closer to classic! WTG, Luna Starsetta! With that growth, I haz an envy!

JRC
February 4th, 2019, 09:26 AM
It's great to see all the growth happening here. The additional goals sound great, too! I'm almost at PTL -1cm to go. I'm currently level with the middle joint of my middle finger. Being short really helps, but I also seem to have proportionately long arms, as some of us here seem to. It seems that my older daughter's fingertip-length is above mid-thigh, whereas mine is just below, and she is 2 inches taller than I am.

Crystawni, it sounds like your husband was in a very snowy place, when he was younger. We don't usually get much, so even building a snowman is unlikely. We get more icy, slushy mess! 28 years of marriage is certainly impressive, and before you know it, it will soon be your 30th Wedding Anniversary. Thank you for your kind words about my previous hair length. Most of it was pre- and post-natal growth, as I had been stuck at hip-length for years, then suddenly, the baby hormones made my hair grow again. Unfortunately, being much older with my second baby, I didn't have any growth at all (my fringe at the time didn't need trimming for over a year), and then the dreaded hairdresser decided I should have waist-length hair, so it's been a long, slow 4 years, to get this far again.

Reyn127
February 4th, 2019, 10:29 PM
Lol, creating new milestones, are we? Why not, I feel like there are less after you get past classic length! I totally hadn't thought of FTL as having MULTIPLE fingers to pick from, I just automatically assumed it was the middle finger. Hehe, if I measure by my pinky length it knocks off over an inch!

And, nice, Luna Starsetta, that's some awesome growth!

Luna Starsetta
February 5th, 2019, 09:22 PM
An inch in a month! And ever closer to classic! WTG, Luna Starsetta! With that growth, I haz an envy!

Thank you! *giggles to self* I think it has to deal with the overall heath of my hair improving. I'm gonna continue to measure on the 1st of the month...
Reyn127 thank you!

AmaryllisRed
February 5th, 2019, 09:25 PM
I'm only about an inch from classic... today. For some reason, my hair was super straight today and acting really long. I don't expect it to last.

Luna Starsetta
February 5th, 2019, 09:33 PM
I'm only about an inch from classic... today. For some reason, my hair was super straight today and acting really long. I don't expect it to last.

Congrats anyway I measure everything stretched!

Crystawni
February 5th, 2019, 09:43 PM
You guys are powering along! :hifive: <<all fingers!!! Oh, that could get hairy, fast!

JRC, the hubs was lucky with the snow a couple of years, there! The area was in the hilly countryside around a little place called Marple Bridge in NW England (an idea of what it's like in pic 9 (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/gallery/snow-in-stockport-8537863), along with other snowy pics from area).

Zesty
February 9th, 2019, 04:15 PM
O wash day hair, how you taunt me...

https://i.imgur.com/U68nRUSl.jpg

Anyone else care to share a progress pic? :popcorn:

Dark40
February 9th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Hi Crystawni! Just lurking around. I'm wishing everyone happy growing, and hoping that you all reach FTL at the end of this year. I'm currently now at WL+, and I've just measured my hair 3 days ago, and it reaches 2 or 3 inches away from HL! I know I won't make it to FTL this year but I am going for it someday soon.

Luna Starsetta
February 9th, 2019, 05:23 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/hXHkbNjg/hair-1-20-19.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hXHkbNjg)

I am going to take a picture on the 20th of this month too.
Pssst -kinda happy I'm still making time to post whilst having work! :)

AmaryllisRed
February 9th, 2019, 05:27 PM
No length shots from me since I've sworn them off until summer! Although if I get to classic before then (likely), I'll go ahead and take one to mark the occasion.

You're looking so close, zesty!

JRC
February 10th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Thank you for the link to the snow picture, Crystawni. Thankfully, we don't get anything like that much snow here, and it's finally getting a bit warmer now, so spring must be on the way - at least, I hope!

Zesty, you look really close to fingertip now, it can't be long before you get there.

I'm not sure about posting a picture, as the last one I took, in October, my ends were so thin. Fairytail ends would not be the term I would use, more like invisibility cloak ends. Hopefully the thickness will travel down eventually, but that seems to be at around mid-back length, so it's got a long way to catch up.

It's great to hear of all the progress everybody is making.

Luna Starsetta
February 10th, 2019, 04:01 PM
I'm due for a nice long good S/D session done by the DH on the 16th of this month. Neverous and excited it will be his first time I think hell do well. He knows how precious my hair is to me. Its like my baby.

Crystawni
February 11th, 2019, 06:47 PM
That's like a bent finger away, Zesty!! So close! I waited until my hair was at its kinda straightest to show the length, but meh. It wants to crinkle, wave and even round out, and will never lay flat and straight enough to get the real length, so these craptastic pics are the best I can do at the moment. Definitely base of finger length when stretched, even maybe thumb length.

https://i.imgur.com/SvuCXZK.jpg

Zesty
February 11th, 2019, 06:56 PM
That looks like thumb length to me, Crystawni!

I had impostor syndrome hard when I got to classic, I'm sure it'll take me forever to admit that I'm at FTL (whenever I get there). :p It just doesn't feel real when you start above APL and finally get to these lengths, I guess.

Crystawni
February 11th, 2019, 07:21 PM
:thumbsup: <<<well, whaddaya know, it's actually a length marker!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, Zesty. It's only when I see pics of my hair that the length soaks in a little. Kinda. Not really. I still feel like it's a lot shorter and I shouldn't be here; I don't even feel like it's classic yet--maybe BCL? But pics tell me otherwise. I just have to get my head on board. :silly:

Luna Starsetta, I meant to mention before how I love your hair! The shape, volume and how it looks at home with length!

Luna Starsetta
February 11th, 2019, 08:15 PM
:thumbsup: <<<well, whaddaya know, it's actually a length marker!

Luna Starsetta, I meant to mention before how I love your hair! The shape, volume and how it looks at home with length!

Thank you so much I naturally have a v shape hemline. My volume comes in I think due to plopping 20 min as part of my drying method I air dry after while flipping the top from side to side till it settles. I am very pleased with my routine currently I haven't changed it in a year now. Thank you so much for the compliments!!!

Luna Starsetta
February 19th, 2019, 01:51 PM
just checking in how is everyone doing? I tend to get more talkative as i get close to a goal and less talkative when i feel like its not anywhere near close. does anyone else do anything similar to this when growing?

AmaryllisRed
February 19th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Just hanging in there... trying to wear my hair up all the time since it seems to grow best that way.
Trying not to think about it too much.:)

Zesty
February 19th, 2019, 02:28 PM
In the past I've gone bonkers getting close to a milestone, but I guess anything past classic is just bonus length over my original goal? Right now I'm focusing on new styles rather than length checking. (Coronet braid!)

Luna Starsetta
February 20th, 2019, 03:07 PM
That's awesome to hear guys!
Update pics
https://i.postimg.cc/hXHkbNjg/hair-1-20-19.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hXHkbNjg)https://i.postimg.cc/MX1Q1f2h/20190220-163809.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MX1Q1f2h)
Growing where my thumbs are is classic and the fingertips are there just to get another marker!

Crystawni
March 2nd, 2019, 12:29 AM
*skids in*

Luna, your hair is growing beautifully!

*plonks into beanbag*

Oh, and guys! Guys!! My hair GREW!

:bigeyes:

A whole centimetre since last month.

:knuckle:

I haven't tried a coronet braid yet... Do I need to be someone of high-ranking for that? :wethree:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2019, 01:43 AM
*skids in*

*plonks into beanbag*

I haven't tried a coronet braid yet... Do I need to be someone of high-ranking for that? :wethree:

Go on, go on, TRY IT!!! You know you want to! :p

Crystawni
March 2nd, 2019, 01:48 AM
Well, like you SL, at least I'll have all the little sparklies ready to go thanks to my inbuilt hair bling! *flips wrist in a royalesk wave that looks more like a drowning octopus*

Sarahlabyrinth
March 2nd, 2019, 03:06 AM
Waiting, waiting.... :popcorn: :p

sophia_
March 2nd, 2019, 08:38 AM
Well, my hair's now officially one outstretched cat from floor length :disco:

AmaryllisRed
March 2nd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Well, my hair's now officially one outstretched cat from floor length :disco:

Hehehe that's a new one!

Luna Starsetta
March 2nd, 2019, 11:04 AM
Okay so.. Um I re measured and I got ANOTHER FULL INCH OF GROWTG.....which puts me at CLaSSiC Stretched! So so so happy! I have to go online and edit my siggy!

Luna Starsetta
March 8th, 2019, 10:31 PM
*skids in*

*plonks into beanbag*

i must of skipped right over this on my phone but thank you so much! and congrats on the growth!!!! :cheese:

Reyn127
March 9th, 2019, 01:14 AM
Yayyyy, Luna Starsetta! I feel like classic length is a big goal, congrats!

And I’ve already gotten back to the length I was when I trimmed in the beginning of the year! Except it’s more like 30 hairs at the very end than the 2 or so it was before. Classic length seemed to hit me so fast, and now here I am already getting solidly past it!

Crystawni
March 9th, 2019, 02:06 AM
Luna, congrats again on classic! It goes to show inching along isn't so slow sometimes!

Reyn, WTG! Here you are with thicker ends, and here I am debating whether to re-layer mine... :ponder: (ETA: deed is done :wannabe:)

sophia, :rollin: :kitten:

Reyn127
March 10th, 2019, 05:37 PM
Haha Crystawni, I'm considering bluntening (is that a word?) my hemline even further sometime, later this year! We'll see though, about the advice I get for based on that.

BUT, guess what! I didn't expect this at all (probably because I haven't thought about it for some reason), but I was just playing with my hair and realized that I am ALMOST at pinky-finger-tip-length!!! (Everything counts right?) I was actually kind of shocked, I thought I was only around mid-palm but it turns out I'm way past that when my hair is measured next to my hand, not based off a picture where it's curling around my butt....

But yeah! I only have about half an inch until I've reached the TIP of my first finger!!! And then only an inch or so past that for my middle finger!

AmaryllisRed
March 10th, 2019, 05:54 PM
That's great, Reyn127!

I feel like my hair is so much shorter than everyone here.
Maybe you all will reach FTL by like August and I'll get there just under the wire like December 31.
Or maybe I've put hilariously unreasonable expectations on my hair this year.
Either way, we'll all have fun, right? :)

Crystawni
March 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Wow, Reyn, sneaky hair is sneaky! You're sooooo close, you can even feel it! :rolling:

I'm really happy I trimmed the bottom layers back in, as it lessens the harshness of the skunk stripe of pigmented hair I had, and instead feathers and frames it. So much for me going for safety in numbers for the hemline. :lol:

Pic shown elsewhere, but this is what I ended up with:

https://i.imgur.com/dJbEJQx.jpg

Amaryllis, right!! Mine still hangs around classic, and seems waaaaaaaay off to me. But you're spot on with the estimate for me at least, as my spreadsheet estimates August 6th for FTL if I don't trim in the meantime. Me not trim? Yeaaaaaaaup, I'll be here a while yet, flaking out in the beanbag.

Luna Starsetta
March 10th, 2019, 08:05 PM
Yayyyy, Luna Starsetta! I feel like classic length is a big goal, congrats!

And I’ve already gotten back to the length I was when I trimmed in the beginning of the year! Except it’s more like 30 hairs at the very end than the 2 or so it was before. Classic length seemed to hit me so fast, and now here I am already getting solidly past it!

That is an amazing acheivment as well! And awesome with the ticker hemline. I myself haven't worried to much about the thickness of my hair. I have a lot of taper and I don't really mind it.

Luna Starsetta
March 13th, 2019, 10:33 PM
So looking at this thread might have stopped me from scheduling a mid year trim. I'll just S/D when needed infrequently. Right now I'm gonna ignore it and just measure on the 1st and let it grow.......(maybe, if it does need it I'll trim)

JRC
March 26th, 2019, 01:15 PM
It's really good to see how everybody is growing closer to fingertip-length. After no growth for a couple of months, I seem to have crept past the tip of my smallest finger, and I'm now at the top of my middle finger. This means just one inch to go, until official fingertip-length. It looks as though I ought to make it before the end of the year, My daughter is really catching up, as she's at BCL already, and she has really thick hair, with a really good hemline. I don't think she'll quite make it into this thread, but nothing would surprise me!

AmaryllisRed
March 28th, 2019, 10:59 PM
That's great progress, JRC!

Here's a photo from tonight before washing. I never would have thought I'd have hair this long! It's so fun [she says, as it sits in a towel on her head while she puts off the NOT fun but inevitable post-wash detangling].

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36252&d=1553835232

Ignore the weird bathroom lighting.

JRC
March 29th, 2019, 03:26 AM
Thank you, AmaryllisRed. Your hair is growing really well, and the colour is lovely. I hope the post-wash detangling went well, it's one of those awful tasks that just has to be done. I used to just have a huge tangle of hair around my shoulders after washing it, when my hair was slightly longer, and not so thin, and it would miraculously "grow", as I combed the tangles out. I think it was caused by a combination of not using conditioner, and washing my hair upside-down. Fortunately, with better care, it seems to tangle less now.

lapushka
March 29th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Here's a photo from tonight before washing. I never would have thought I'd have hair this long! It's so fun [she says, as it sits in a towel on her head while she puts off the NOT fun but inevitable post-wash detangling].

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36252&d=1553835232

What... wait. Did you color your hair? :)

Did I miss that somewhere? :o

It was a more red/brown hue, wasn't it?

AmaryllisRed
March 29th, 2019, 08:43 AM
What... wait. Did you color your hair? :)

Did I miss that somewhere? :o

It was a more red/brown hue, wasn't it?

That's the weird bathroom lighting I was referring to. ;)

lapushka
March 29th, 2019, 09:29 AM
That's the weird bathroom lighting I was referring to. ;)

Oooh I see. OMG that is so odd! :D

Reyn127
March 29th, 2019, 08:35 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36255&d=1553879971

So apparently I am terrible at measuring milestones on myself.... because I am much closer to FTL than I thought at the beginning of the year. Judging from pictures (like this one, taken 2 weeks ago), it seems like I really have less than an inch to go!

The picture looks a little weird because I grabbed the longest parts of my hair over to one side closer to my hand. Normally it’s V- shaped- ish.

JRC
March 30th, 2019, 04:12 AM
You'll be there in no time at all, Reyn, that's really good news. I have to pull part of my hair to the side, too, to see how far it has to grow, so it must be almost there.

Luna Starsetta
March 30th, 2019, 04:09 PM

Little tip I find works wonders - use a wide tooth comb or a brush if your short on time to detangle your hair in the shower with conditioner in I find the least amount of breakage that way and its pretty much tangle free since I brush my hair while getting out the conditioner. I squeeze out the access water and boom out of the shower no detangeling left to do!

AmaryllisRed
March 30th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Little tip I find works wonders - use a wide tooth comb or a brush if your short on time to detangle your hair in the shower with conditioner in I find the least amount of breakage that way and its pretty much tangle free since I brush my hair while getting out the conditioner. I squeeze out the access water and boom out of the shower no detangeling left to do!

Hmmmm.
That might work?
I do finger-detangle (finagle?) the length when I condition, but most of the tangles when I get out are up near the top of my head.
I will try this tonight and report back.
:goes directly to bathroom to put a comb in the shower because she will NOT remember later:

ETA: This might work well for my daughter, too. She's a curly and it's hard to detangle her hair if there isn't conditioner in it.

Luna Starsetta
March 31st, 2019, 02:23 PM
Hmmmm.
That might work?
I do finger-detangle (finagle?) the length when I condition, but most of the tangles when I get out are up near the top of my head.
I will try this tonight and report back.
:goes directly to bathroom to put a comb in the shower because she will NOT remember later:

ETA: This might work well for my daughter, too. She's a curly and it's hard to detangle her hair if there isn't conditioner in it.

Do let me know if my method works for you and your daughter! I would be very happy hear the result! I'm off to wash my hair today. And do a little protine treatment as well. Can't wait to hear from you again!

Zesty
March 31st, 2019, 02:38 PM
Reyn, it really looks to me as though you could be there if you hadn't pulled the longest part of your hair diagonally. Either way, you're super close. :)

I am marveling at the fact that the + in my Classic+ is like... real. The ends are visibly past classic. They are not super thick but they are getting close to FTL. It's so weird. :crazyq:

https://i.imgur.com/0NpCiOFl.jpg

Anyway, I am trying to resist spamming length pictures in general (as I have been wont to do) but it's so amazing and exciting to me that it's still growing. Plus my hair was in a braid so my ends aren't as wonky so you can kind of see the length. I measured my fingers to try to figure the distance and unstretched it appears that I have about 1.5" to go. Possibly just 1" stretched. So... FTL by my birthday (August 19)? Maybe, universe? :eyebrows:

AmaryllisRed
March 31st, 2019, 02:57 PM
Do let me know if my method works for you and your daughter! I would be very happy hear the result! I'm off to wash my hair today. And do a little protine treatment as well. Can't wait to hear from you again!

I didn't use it for my daughter yet but I did for myself and WOW what a difference! I was a little nervous about changing anything because generally I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. But I was getting kind of annoyed with the combing out after washing, so I did go ahead and comb it all out in the shower after conditioning. And you're right-- it was super easy to comb through in the shower and then when I got out it barely had any tangles at all!
Thank you for the suggestion. It worked great.

Reyn, it really looks to me as though you could be there if you hadn't pulled the longest part of your hair diagonally. Either way, you're super close. :)

I am marveling at the fact that the + in my Classic+ is like... real. The ends are visibly past classic. They are not super thick but they are getting close to FTL. It's so weird. :crazyq:

Anyway, I am trying to resist spamming length pictures in general (as I have been wont to do) but it's so amazing and exciting to me that it's still growing. Plus my hair was in a braid so my ends aren't as wonky so you can kind of see the length. I measured my fingers to try to figure the distance and unstretched it appears that I have about 1.5" to go. Possibly just 1" stretched. So... FTL by my birthday (August 19)? Maybe, universe? :eyebrows:

It really is well past classic! It looks good!
Also yay for August birthdays! (9th here. :) )

Luna Starsetta
March 31st, 2019, 03:36 PM
I didn't use it for my daughter yet but I did for myself and WOW what a difference! I was a little nervous about changing anything because generally I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. But I was getting kind of annoyed with the combing out after washing, so I did go ahead and comb it all out in the shower after conditioning. And you're right-- it was super easy to comb through in the shower and then when I got out it barely had any tangles at all!
Thank you for the suggestion. It worked great.

It really is well past classic! It looks good!
Also yay for August birthdays! (9th here. :) )

Oh yay! I'm so glad it worked well for you! That is awesome to hear!

Also another August birthday here too (14th:hifive:

And Zesty that is most defiantly CL+ congrats of the visibly of it not far left till FTL too that is awesome progress!

Crystawni
April 1st, 2019, 06:42 PM
Zesty, I love seeing your hair! It's growing so well, and is definitely in the thigh zone! I think when weighed down with running water, mine is about the same length, but certainly doesn't look like that normally.

Amaryllis, yours is looking to be at least wrist length now?

Reyn, these lengths are soooooo hard to ascertain! Hands and hair, and tumbling below the bumpy bits... :justy: But you can actually see you really are close to FTL!

JRC, you seem to be at about the same length as Reyn! I bet your fingers are getting itchy, the two of you!

I did my monthly measurement yesterday, and have gained another centimetre (I think--it's a PITA to measure on my own at the moment). So, if I don't trim, my chart has me hitting FTL around mid-August, so just in time to celebrate with all of you having birthdays around then! :cheer: I think I'll be in denial when I do hit FTL, though, as even now my hair bounces up to TBL still.

AmaryllisRed
April 1st, 2019, 07:14 PM
Yep, I'd say I'm solidly at wrist. :)
Yay for more to celebrate in August... let's all have cake!

Luna Starsetta
April 1st, 2019, 08:14 PM
It looks like I'm now 40.5" I've gained a half inch so a slow in growth but still growth so no complaints here!

Reyn127
April 2nd, 2019, 11:03 AM
Zesty, I bet you’ll reach fingertip by August, that should be plenty of time. How exciting! Your ends are being so well behaved, also.

Crystawni, I have been having the hardest time with measurements lately! Either my old measurements that I wrote down really quick a few years ago end up not being accurate, or the ones I try to take now being kind of all over the place...

zashin66
April 3rd, 2019, 09:58 PM
I slid in with a fingertip length and am now one inch beyond that..... I've been visiting lala land for a while

AmaryllisRed
April 4th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Congrats, zashin!

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 08:47 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36255&d=1553879971

So apparently I am terrible at measuring milestones on myself.... because I am much closer to FTL than I thought at the beginning of the year. Judging from pictures (like this one, taken 2 weeks ago), it seems like I really have less than an inch to go!

The picture looks a little weird because I grabbed the longest parts of my hair over to one side closer to my hand. Normally it’s V- shaped- ish.

You are *so* close! :)

lapushka
April 4th, 2019, 08:48 AM
I slid in with a fingertip length and am now one inch beyond that..... I've been visiting lala land for a while

Congrats, you are where I'm at! :D I'm about 1.5 inches past now (Jan/Feb/March - it is pretty steady growth).

Crystawni
April 4th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Did someone say cake?

*saunters in balancing something yummy on mah head*

:cake:

zashin, that's great news! Congrats!

(yeah, any excuse for cake! :grin:)

Luna Starsetta
April 5th, 2019, 03:30 PM
that's amazing Zashin i think its a nice feeling when you find your hair is longer than you originally thought!

and as for cake crystawni i'll gladly have a piece. lol

Dark40
April 5th, 2019, 05:17 PM

https://i.imgur.com/0NpCiOFl.jpg

Congratulations on reaching CL+! :) Yes, you should be at FTL by your birthday in August.

lapushka
April 6th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Zesty, that looks promising! :)

JRC
April 20th, 2019, 12:47 PM
I hope everybody is getting closer to their goal. It can be surprising how it creeps up unexpectedly, after all the waiting. I have to ask my daughter to help, as I can't reach to measure, but I'm finally back to fingertip-length. I don't expect my hair to grow much more, but, since I'm only 4.5 inches away from knee length, I'm just going to wait and see whether I can get there.

Reyn, you must be really close to fingertip-length now, if it hasn't already crept up on you.

Reyn127
April 20th, 2019, 10:03 PM
Oh wow JRC, that IS really close to knee for you! And congrats on the milestone of fingertip!

I was just checking the other day, and I still have about an inch to go. Measuring casually (without a measuring tape) is getting to be a little inconsistent lately because I think my hair falls to a different spot depending on the stance I am standing in, somewhat. So there’s still some time for me, which is fine.

How is everyone else’s hair journey going?

AmaryllisRed
April 20th, 2019, 10:31 PM
You all are making great progress!
I expect to call classic at the end of the month, then I'll probably have something like 5-6" to FTL. So I'm still on track to get there by the end of the year, as long as I don't trim.

Crystawni
April 24th, 2019, 08:17 PM
Congrats, JRC!! :happydance: You're so lucky knee is so close, too! I haz an envy!

And yeah, creeping hair is creeping--and deceptive! I wear it up most of the time, so don't notice the length but it's thigh-high in the shower (which is soooooo weird to me!) while still bouncing around TBL when dry, and I don't see that changing too much with another inch or so until FTL. :justy:

JRC
April 25th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Thank you all. Tailbone to fingertip was a long journey, but it looks as though everyody is getting really close now.

Crystawni, it seems that I just have long arms, which is why I don't have far to go, between fingertip and knee-length. I can understand the problem with wavy hair looking so much shorter when it's dry. Mine tends to do that, too, more than it used to. Maybe the weight of it will straighten it a bit, as it gets a bit longer - you can hope, anyway!

Reyn127
April 26th, 2019, 10:31 AM
So... does anyone know what happens AFTER we reach fingertip length? Isn’t that where combing, braiding, etc. get difficult because you can’t reach the ends now? Has anyone here been beyond FTL before and knows?

The longer I grow the more I realize that this is far from the territory I’ve been in my life, and I’m starting to.... maybe worry a little bit about if it’s going to be unmanageable after a certain point. I know it’s slow growing, but there have already been times that I’ve had to move the position of my head to comb through the ends all the way. Which isn’t difficult, but not necessarily convenient either...

I don’t know. Maybe I’m just not as happy/excited about my hair at this length as I thought I would be.

AmaryllisRed
April 26th, 2019, 11:53 AM
I am still 5-6" from FTL, but it's been a while that I've had to hold up my hair with one hand and detangle with the other. I would imagine sometime in the future it is going to get more difficult. I just figure if it gets to be too much to manage, I'll stop there. :)

Crystawni
April 29th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Reyn, it's all new territory for me, too. But like Amaryllis, I've had to hold my hair up when grooming for a while, as it's too thick and webby to do in one stroke, so I'm not sure there will be too much of a difference for me. It will probably make behind-the-back trimming and flipped-over hem layering, and length measuring more of a PITA, though, as they're already pretty much out of reach.

AmaryllisRed
April 29th, 2019, 09:20 AM
I've already decided when I trim, whenever that may be, the husband will be doing that. He's been warned.

Reyn127
April 30th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I’m kind of at the point where, all of a sudden, all those things became much harder! It’s funny what a difference just a few inches can make, from the beginning of the year. For instance, I think I may want to do a tiny trim again soon, but I can’t even get my ends to lie flat/evenly, and even with a mirror over my shoulder it’s hard to see exactly where they fall.

And, there is NO WAY my significant other is trimming it for me! Oh my goodness I love the person, but I don’t know if I would set him loose on my hair, heh.

Luna Starsetta
April 30th, 2019, 09:19 AM
So it appears I've had a stall in growth no growth at all so I will be going to my Salon appointment today. I can say I am most defiantly nervous. Its the first time I'll be going to this studio. Although my DH will be there and has promised to say something if she goes to rake off too much. I'm thinking just 1 inch. I think I will bring up the word dusting because I really only want off what is damaged and nothing more or less. I'm thinking it shouldn't be more then an inch or inch and a half. Then I'll also be doing a but of a layer reshape. Cause its almost summer and my hair tends to take off growth wise so *takes a deep breathe in and let's it out* here we go.... I'm solidly sitting at TBL unstreached well see where we are at after the trim in should be right around classic stretched.

Reyn127
May 2nd, 2019, 11:55 PM
How did your trim go??

Luna Starsetta
May 5th, 2019, 08:45 AM
How did your trim go??
Well to say the least it took me a bit to get back on here. Not only that but it took me a bit to actually measure my hair. it measures out at 38" stretched. Which I only asked for an inch so of course I'm a bit upset that she didn't listen and took off 2 inches..... However I did get split and color damage off. So its -2 of color but also off my length My hair is super curly since it got cut.... so it is shrinking up a lot. I was expecting a little shrinkage and I have to say after this cut I won't be cutting again for awhile. I grew found of my fairytale ends. And now they are gone. Just feels like something is missing. She wanted to take off 2 and a half and I said can we just do an inch and she said I'll do what ever you want. So I still have a bit of dead ends but I'm gonna try my best to remedy it with oils and good hair care. And hopefully I'll gain back what I lost in about 2 or 3 months. So not too long. But enough that I liked it where it was bit I try to keep convincing myself that the damage had to go one way or another. I kinda liked it sitting at tailbone and being classic stretched. Looks like were gonna have to get back to that milestone... Think I'm gonna teach the DH to trim my hair. He's like the only one I trust...

Reyn127
May 5th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Uh oh!!

Sounds like it turned out ok... One extra inch isn’t that bad for being cut by a hairdresser. But it IS really frustrating that she cut off more than you agreed to! Luckily, that should grow back very quickly, and hopefully your ends are in better condition for the future.

I’m sorry that didn’t go as hoped!

AmaryllisRed
May 5th, 2019, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry, Luna! :(

I wore my hair down to church today and it was fun to feel it on my wrist! That was a first. I don't know that I'll be wearing it down like that very much, though. It was over one shoulder and when my neck got hot I didn't have enough room to put it behind me or over the opposite shoulder and certainly not enough room to put it up.

Zesty
May 6th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Oh that stinks Luna. :( But hopefully it grows back before you know it!

I'm less than an inch away from FTL now -- really just about half an inch -- so I should be on track to get there before my birthday in August as I said before. :o I'm planning a small trim around my birthday, but only half an inch or so. It really seems like my hair is finally growing again after my "big" trim a few months ago. Might be a coincidence. Either way, I certainly like my hemline better than before the trim.

Luna Starsetta
May 9th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Uh oh!!

Sounds like it turned out ok... One extra inch isn’t that bad for being cut by a hairdresser. But it IS really frustrating that she cut off more than you agreed to! Luckily, that should grow back very quickly, and hopefully your ends are in better condition for the future.

I’m sorry that didn’t go as hoped!

I would say that about sums it up. My ends are in better condition but now I'm starting to get used to it. I do miss my fairytale ends though but no more cutting the rest of the year.

And thank you zesty I'm hoping so too...

Red, thank you. I'm hoping my measuring this month is longer then after my trim.

I am going to be investing in some hair growth vitamins to see how it goes. If it works I will adopt it into the routine. I feel a bit better that I have those coming in soon and will take them once I get them. Were not to far into this month and I know about a half 8nch is average for me. So... We shall see.

Crystawni
June 3rd, 2019, 05:11 AM
Luna, you're a month longer now with those better ends! Yay?

How is everyone else creeping along? Zesty, you'd have to be grazing your fingernails by now? I've got 4cm or thereabouts to go, so am on track for tipping out in August--the 19th, or so says my growth chart. Ends are good since their trim in March, and so is the thickness even with some excessive shedding over the past few months, so all I'm doing is... waiting.

*twiddles thumbs*

*ends get tangled in my thumbs*

...random thought--I could finger-knit a scarf with this hair...

Uhhh-hum... While I extricate myself, here are some craptastic mirror pics I snapped on the first (and flipped in Paint) for me to SEE how I'm going, because, yanno, measurements are haaaaaaard at this length, so I wanted to eyeball it. My hair texture has been tightening up up top over the past year or more, too, so I wonder if the length is pulling out my curls... while also wondering what my texture would be like if I trimmed up to my LHC starting point of APLish. :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/A6g2hgJ.jpg

Zesty
June 3rd, 2019, 06:58 AM
My hair is teasing me for sure. :lol: In some pictures when it's at its straightest it looks like I'm there! But I don't feel confident calling it yet. Here's a picture from the "year of growth" thread, with yesterday on the right:

https://i.imgur.com/deJxIRrl.jpg

You're super close, Crystawni, and lovely as always.

AmaryllisRed
June 3rd, 2019, 07:56 AM
Wow!
Both of you are looking fantastic!

I'm having a big setback. I've been measuring stretched and I'm getting to where I can't really do that anymore. I can't stretch it with my hand and see where it comes to on that hand.
I guess I could stretch with my right hand and try to see where it comes to on my left...
I just have so much shrinkage it's frustrating. I know it's growing (I can tell when it's wet in the shower) but it's getting harder to see.

Crystawni
June 3rd, 2019, 07:38 PM
Thanks, you two! :grin: Zesty, you have all of your hemline in the zone, with quite a few at FTL by the looks of it! Even if you're not calling it yet, it's visually there. Wow!!! Yay!!! *fistbump* Call it, already so I can congratulate you for real! :p

Amaryllis, would you pull your hair forward to measure it against your other hand? I just tried it that way and lost some length with my hemline only just out of the palm zone with the finger length to go. By my measurements, though, I'm actually at pinky length! :happydance: I can't grasp my hair at the back for a stretch against my hand, either (first time I've tried that, too). To me, if you're that long, that's a good setback. :wink:

AmaryllisRed
June 3rd, 2019, 11:06 PM
Yeah Idk. If I reach across my body and pin my hair against my leg, I can feel ends on my palm...
There has to be a better way!
I just washed so maybe I can comb it straightish and take a pic before it shrinks up too much.

AmaryllisRed
June 4th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Sigh.

I took this last night after combing it out. It's still pretty wet at the top but you can see where the bottom half is basically dry. Anyway, it's starting to kink up but it looks like maybe the top of my thumb?
Works for me. :shrug:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37153&d=1559658943

Crystawni
June 5th, 2019, 12:13 AM
For sure, Amaryllis! You're definitely at a handy length there. I just can't get over how fast your hair grows, though!

To get a feel for my length, sometimes when I'm in the shower I'll lightly dig my middle fingernail into my outer thigh or just around (without losing arm length due to angle), and then again where my drenched hair ends, but I still can't quite get everything to line up for a definitive length marker, especially as my hair coils even when drenched. One day, my ends will be out of reach, so it will be then that I know how long my hair isn't at least. :wethree: I think I'm going to see if I have a mole or freckle in the area that can guide me, or a long shirt/short dress that lands at FTL... :whistle:

AmaryllisRed
June 5th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Ooh, I bet I have FTL shorts...

Zesty
June 5th, 2019, 07:33 AM
I have *classic* length shorts! :lol: I only wear them to the pool and would never post pictures though, even if I did use them to check my progress sometimes. Everything else I own is pretty much midi length.

Luna Starsetta
June 7th, 2019, 08:31 AM
I'm still shooting for the FTL just might be a bit late... But I kinda skipped my measurement on the 1st this month and my picture last month. I might measure tonight or I might wait till next month on the 1st. Don't know yet.

zashin66
June 9th, 2019, 07:40 AM
My mom was doing a measurement of my hair length for me and commented on the ends being down to 49 inches but that it was only two or three hairs for about the last 3/4 inch. I was embarrassed by that for some reason and I pulled up the ends after carefully stretching them out and snipped off about 1 & 1/2 inches. I haven't dared to measure since then. I'm still not sure what it was that I was so embarrassed about. Has any one else experienced something like that??

I have even avoided LHC except for minor forays and very few comments. This is the first time I'm even 'talking' about it.

CindyOfTheOaks
June 9th, 2019, 08:37 AM
I don't know if I am going t make it...
I can grab 20 or so hairs between my thumb pad and hand...looks like another 3 1/2 inches to tip of middle finger

AmaryllisRed
June 9th, 2019, 02:14 PM
My mom was doing a measurement of my hair length for me and commented on the ends being down to 49 inches but that it was only two or three hairs for about the last 3/4 inch. I was embarrassed by that for some reason and I pulled up the ends after carefully stretching them out and snipped off about 1 & 1/2 inches. I haven't dared to measure since then. I'm still not sure what it was that I was so embarrassed about. Has any one else experienced something like that??

I have even avoided LHC except for minor forays and very few comments. This is the first time I'm even 'talking' about it.

I guess I'm a little embarrassed that my ends are thinner. It isn't really noticeable unless I wear my hair in a knot-ponytail type style and then my ends look really scraggly.

Maybe instead of being embarrassed that most of the hair can't keep up, we should be extra proud of the longest ones for going above and beyond!

Reyn127
June 10th, 2019, 10:29 AM

It's been a few months, but I had nearly the same thing occur when I did my first trim in two years... I cut off about an inch and a half, which only included about 20 hairs at the very end. The last 3/4 inch was also, literally, like 3 hairs.

Zesty
June 13th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Crystawni wants me to call it... I'm super tempted. I mean, it *is* there in pictures when my hair is being its straightest.

I am going to get about a quarter to half inch trim in exactly one month but it might not even set me back visually. Is it worth it to "call" FTL? It also feels a bit cheater-y because my arms seem short compared to everyone else's. :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/IPG6OQ5l.jpg

(Not a flattering picture of my hair but :shrug: )

Crystawni
June 13th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Oh, you're adorable, Zesty! FTL is FTL on you, not anyone else regardless of how long their arms look, so yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, you should call it caboz you're sooooo there! Can we haz happydance naow? :eyebrows:

And zashin, FTEs are beautiful. Don't shun those lovely hairs. They haz a magic about them. :magic: With all of my regular trims every four months or so, my poor hemline doesn't have a chance to get its magic on, and I think it has a jealous.

Cindy, if I grab my ends into my hand, I have further to go than if I measure straight down like Zesty has. All that angling across to your hand eats up length, so you may still make it..?

Zesty
June 13th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Mkay I'm gonna call it then. :o

Crystawni
June 13th, 2019, 05:38 PM
:happydance: :cake: :cheese: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! Congrats, Zesty!!! :magic: :happydance: :disco:

Ylva
June 13th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Congratulations, Zesty! :)

AmaryllisRed
June 13th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Yay! Congrats, Zesty! :disco:

I found some FTL shorts so I should take a pic soon. It looks like maybe 3-4 more inches so I am still on track to get there by the end of the year. :thumbsup:

Zesty
June 13th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Thanks all!

I'm sure you'll make it Amaryllis. And measuring clothes are so convenient.

Reyn127
June 14th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Congrats Zesty! You’re definitely at FTL, great job!

Luna Starsetta
June 18th, 2019, 05:48 PM
congratulations zesty that is amazing!!! i think your hair is beautiful!

Crystawni
June 19th, 2019, 04:31 AM
As posted elsewhere, I did my (early) seasonal length pic today, and found myself at almost 45" and around 3cm from FTL at 46".

https://i.imgur.com/NNiuTQz.jpg

Zesty
June 19th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Yay Crystawni! :cheer: You are so close and your hair is looking more stunning by the day.

AmaryllisRed
June 19th, 2019, 08:12 AM
It looks terrific, Crystawni!

Reyn127
June 20th, 2019, 06:11 PM
SO close, Crystawni!

I have a little further to go still myself, as I trimmed off about 2 inches from the very ends of my hair this morning. I have not done an official re-measure yet, but it feels like I'm probably about 2 inches from FTL now. So I must have been pretty close before, but my damn ends never want to lie flat! Hopefully they will behave a little better now. I'm pretty certain I'll still reach FTL by the end of the year, and with a slightly neater hemline :)

Poi.Lily
June 20th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Your hair is beautiful!
I'm certainly not going to be at that length by the end of this year, but I'm hoping to be near shoulder length by the end of the year if I'm lucky 🤞🏻🤞🏻
My hair seems to grow slightly faster than average, so I have that going for me.

zashin66
June 21st, 2019, 12:19 AM
As posted elsewhere, I did my (early) seasonal length pic today, and found myself at almost 45" and around 3cm from FTL at 46".

You are so very close my friend. Just one more month??

zashin66
June 21st, 2019, 12:24 AM
It's been a few months, but I had nearly the same thing occur when I did my first trim in two years... I cut off about an inch and a half, which only included about 20 hairs at the very end. The last 3/4 inch was also, literally, like 3 hairs.

I have been only doing an S&D every so often. So when I saw just those few hairs I think I was startled. I think that was the result of my little S&D's. I also think my left side hairs don't grow as fast as my right side hairs. Has anyone experienced that??

zashin66
June 21st, 2019, 12:32 AM
zashin[/B], FTEs are beautiful. Don't shun those lovely hairs. They haz a magic about them. :magic: With all of my regular trims every four months or so, my poor hemline doesn't have a chance to get its magic on, and I think it has a jealous.

Well I think I want thick fairy tail ends...... But I do like the look. It has a balance if done right; same as a straight hemline can look so nicely balanced, as well. But I think one side is growing faster than the other which is just, you know, weird...:knuckle:

CindyOfTheOaks
June 22nd, 2019, 04:30 PM

Beautiful !

Luna Starsetta
June 24th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Crystawni! That is amazingly close! I am so very excited for you not to long to go now!!!

Crystawni
June 24th, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thank you, everyone! :flowers: Lately I'm gaining around a centimetre each month, so have another 3 months or so to go, which would land me at FTL somewhere around my birthday in September if I don't trim in the meantime. There's something about our milestones and birthdays in here, hey...

Reyn, trims can help so much with retaining growth--I hope your ends are behaving better now! But wow, you really must've been a nailtip away before. :thud:

Zashin, I haven't taken proper notice of my growth pattern lately to see if it grows faster on one side as I reshaped and layered the lot with my previous trim. I do know S&Ding will thin things out and shorten some racers, so if you've had more snaggy hair on one side that needed the snip, I wouldn't be surprised if that's showing up in your hemline. I know all scalp hair has different growth and length rates, though (compare nape hair, face framing fuzzers, and mid scalp longies), so wouldn't be surprised if you've got a clump or two that want to stick together.

Crystawni
July 31st, 2019, 08:52 PM
Welp, I U-trimmed the hemline the other night to just below classic. :whistle: It was looking a bit sparse where I'd layered it (the white underlayer doesn't help..!), so I went with thickening it up a tad so it hangs fuller and heavier when down (it has a tendency to float, grab and/or web out). I'm finally moving from one end of the country to the other in a few days to a place of cold and brrrrrr, and want to be able to utilise the rug aspect of my length, while having it look neatish and full on any day when worn down, and not just on wash day. This also means I may or may not make it to FTL by the end of the year, if I get there at all. :shrug: I think I'm finally in the longhair-don't-care category at last, when it comes to growing, and really don't see me going beyond where I can reach my ends for stretched trimming.

AmaryllisRed
July 31st, 2019, 09:57 PM
Crystawni! I've been thinking of you. Hope all goes well over the next few days.

Crystawni
July 31st, 2019, 10:27 PM
Thank you, Amaryllis! :smooch: For my hubster, who is currently driving up from our new location with our new-to-us SUV that has towability, it will be like crossing the US from LA to NY and back. For me, I'll be driving half of that distance in our other car--so kinda like one crossing of the US. At least my Dragon's Hoard's all boxed and snuggly, ready for the trip:

https://i.imgur.com/h8lCo52.jpg

...and here I am contemplating wearing my hair down more. Shhhhh, don't tell the pretties!

Reyn127
August 1st, 2019, 07:59 AM
I hope your move goes smoothly, Crystawni!

And don’t worry, my (also worn loose more often lately) hair won’t tell on yours!

AmaryllisRed
August 1st, 2019, 08:05 AM
Just... make sure you let those cats out of their boxes every few hours...

zashin66
August 5th, 2019, 09:15 PM
Zashin, I haven't taken proper notice of my growth pattern lately to see if it grows faster on one side as I reshaped and layered the lot with my previous trim. I do know S&Ding will thin things out and shorten some racers, so if you've had more snaggy hair on one side that needed the snip, I wouldn't be surprised if that's showing up in your hemline. I know all scalp hair has different growth and length rates, though (compare nape hair, face framing fuzzers, and mid scalp longies), so wouldn't be surprised if you've got a clump or two that want to stick together.

I tend to pull everything to the left side so perhaps that side tends to stay shorter??

Crystawni
August 11th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Amaryllis, you goober! :grin: Welp, guess what? G'won, guess..!!! I made it! I am now down the other end of Australia where winter is chucking lovely icy stuff up from the south pole in an attempt to make me, the cats and poglette, who all travelled extremely well over four days, feel welcome. :wethree: As for the stuff on my head, after a week of no-chance of washing my hair, I gave it some love a couple of days ago, and it's slipperier than ever with barely a chance of updo stayeration as there's no humidity to give it some frizz, but it's enjoying some down time. It's so weird to actually have to learn how this length behaves! I'm also having to adjust to wearing updos with scarves, collars, and hats in the way--so many encumbrances for my forks and sticks are new to me! But the bonus is I'm actually amongst some other longhairs who are a tad proud of their manes, with one girl at almost the exact length as mine, so it will be interesting who gets to FTL first!

I'm sooooo ccccccccold...

Reyn127
August 11th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Congrats on the move Crystawni! Glad you made it safely. Is there a fireplace in this beanbag room, by chance??

Crystawni
August 11th, 2019, 11:23 PM
Ah, I think so; over there in the back corner, behind the huddled cats who are hogging it! Not that anyone enjoying summer right now needs any semblance of a fire, but you may just be finding me snuggled up over yonder pretending to be a kitty for a while. Thanks, Reyn!

zashin66
August 14th, 2019, 08:45 AM
I'm so sorry you are c-c-c-cold. I'll trade some heat with ya..... Triple digits in fahrenheit...

AmaryllisRed
September 13th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Hi, guys! How are we all?

Thought I'd check in today since I'm now into "which finger are we talking about?" territory.
Witness this very blurry photo taken by one of my kids. (I don't remember which kid because they all had to take turns snapping photos... of my hair, each other, my hand...

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38491&d=1568422141

I'm at least pinky length, possibly ring finger. Should be longest finger length by the end of November, I'm guessing?

Crystawni
September 15th, 2019, 02:18 AM
Wow, yeah, that's soooooo close to all. the. fingers. Growing well, Amaryllis! You only look about a month, maybe month and a half away, honestly. As for me, I feel like I'm miles away from FTL, but it has done the whole way along--every milestone bounces in and out of range with coilish hair. I don't have a way to check very well at the moment, either, but know I'm creeping down my thigh fairly well. I've just been shedding a lot lately since the move and everything, so expect my length will be looking a bit bedraggled and on the thinner side of things when I do get the chance to check.

Crystawni
November 6th, 2019, 08:15 PM
Today I braided my hair ready to bun, and then thought of this convo:

In the past I've gone bonkers getting close to a milestone, but I guess anything past classic is just bonus length over my original goal? Right now I'm focusing on new styles rather than length checking. (Coronet braid!)

:scissors:

Go on, go on, TRY IT!!! You know you want to! :p

So then chucked the braid over my noggin, and whaddaya know, it goes all the way around my 23" circumference, and can simply be tucked and pinned with a medium flexi at the nape. Tis be very comfy, although it wants to fall forward with the slippery weight of the braid, but luckily my ears stop it without any other need for extra pinning (that probably wouldn't work with my slipmonster + tender scalp anyway).

https://i.imgur.com/ah3Refp.jpg

Sidenote: The hubster was eyeing me very carefully when he came home just now, and I almost cringed as I silently waited for some kind of smartarse comment. Nothing. This is the guy who calls me Little Red Riding Hood when I (rarely) wear my silky sleep cap... But then a little while later when we sipped on our cuppas, he smiled warmly with a glint in his eye and mentioned how lovely my hair looks and that he really likes this on me--thinks it's princessy. I think I'll keep him. :crush:

AmaryllisRed
November 7th, 2019, 09:26 AM
I think it looks great and how sweet of him to say that!

MusicalSpoons
November 7th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Wow Crystawni :thud: that's insanely beautiful, especially with your colours :inlove: I rarely pop into threads like this where I'm not a member but for some unknown reason decided to have a look here. So glad I did!

Crystawni
November 9th, 2019, 12:06 AM
:smooch: Thank you, Amaryllis (congrats on your second anniversary at LHC! :cake:) and MusicalSpoons (lovely to see you jumping up from behind the couch! :couch: :flowers:)!

While I'm here, I should share length progress. :eye: I'm wearing a baggy ol' jumper that hangs around FTL today, so when stretching my ends down to the hem I have about 1.5cm or so to go, so may still scrape in by NYE with my average growth rate.

AmaryllisRed
November 9th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Thanks, Crystawni!
You inspired me to try the coronet braid again. I had been trying to pin all the way around, including the ends, and they just didn't want to stay. Well, your flexi gave me an idea and I used a small claw clip to hold the ends under the start of the braid. I only needed a pin on each side to hold it! It wouldn't have held up through anything strenuous but it was fine for regular activity.
But I still don't like how thin the end of the braid looks right next to the start of it. And considering my bangs are in the first part of the braid and they're only at APL now, it would be a long time before the ends match the start in thickness.

zashin66
November 13th, 2019, 12:51 PM
*sigh*. Well I'm looking for ftl right now because I took off 2-3" . My hair was growing unevenly ( left grows faster than right side) and I just couldn't stand the hugely uneven look. Here's hoping by end of year I will be back to ftl. Might be there now but can't check until year ends d/t joined thread to not check till then. Good for me to have to wait

Crystawni
November 28th, 2019, 06:41 PM
*wanders in* :waving:

Amaryllis, yay for fresh ideas!! I know you've given me plenty over time with all of your inspired updo pics! :cheer: My ends are waaaaaaaay thinner thanks to layers, face-framers and wear n tear, so like you I wasn't too chuffed with how they looked in the braid, but mmmmf. It it what it is. I did end up with the coronet braid getting its weight on and blindfolding me with a sudden drop over my eyes, so in a rush shoved a small, headcurved Burly stick up the top for added security. Something not too weighty, but with holding power. Next time I'd probably add another flexi up there if it wasn't too heavy/bulky, or use some spin pins (although my scalp hates the feel of them...).

zashin, it beats walking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa to give the illusion of an even hem. :wigtongue I'm sending all the goodly growth vibes your way!

*plonks back into a familiar beanbag*

I was checking progress thanks to this year's poll on LHC average length (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151230), and with the hubster doing some carpenter-like eyeballing of his own, I'm actually around 5mm from FTL, with FTL being at 116cm (45 5/8"), not 116.5cm as I'd previously thought. :cool: So, half a cm to go, which is just a few weeks away, which means I'll be FTL for Christmas and NYE. :grin:

AmaryllisRed
November 28th, 2019, 07:26 PM
That's great, Crystawni!
And thanks for bumping up this thread, because I have achieved full middle-finger FTL!
I'm wearing black leggings today and got the idea to mark my length on my leg with chalk and see where it ends up and sure enough I'm there!
Of course this is a stretched, three days post-wash measurement, so it won't look FTL unstretched for some time yet, but I'm calling it!

Crystawni
November 28th, 2019, 08:14 PM
OMG!!! Fair dinkum, Amaryliis! Your hair is soooooooooo sneaky! Congrats! :cake: :disco: :cheer: You have now unlocked the next level of longness on your quest for knee!

AmaryllisRed
November 28th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Thanks, Crystawni! Sneaky is right. :)

Crystawni
December 12th, 2019, 05:15 PM
It's Friday the 13th here :demon: and what better day to check my length...

Guess what..?

:!:

Guess what?

:hmm:

G'on, guess!

:uhh:

Let's just say something was outta reach when I went to do that check multiple times..!

:disbelief

:roll:

:waltz:

I can haz caek naow?

P.S. My back hurts after doing the length-check-limbo... :slap: But I'm defs at 116cm, so can finally graduate from this thread before NYE! :happydance:

AmaryllisRed
December 12th, 2019, 09:58 PM
It's Friday the 13th here :demon: and what better day to check my length...

Guess what..?

:!:

Guess what?

:hmm:

G'on, guess!

:uhh:

Let's just say something was outta reach when I went to do that check multiple times..!

:disbelief

:roll:

:waltz:

I can haz caek naow?

P.S. My back hurts after doing the length-check-limbo... :slap: But I'm defs at 116cm, so can finally graduate from this thread before NYE! :happydance:

Cake indeed! Congratulations!

Ylva
December 13th, 2019, 01:27 AM
Congratulations, Crystawni! :cheer:

Crystawni
December 15th, 2019, 12:13 AM
Omnomnom! :cake: Thank you, Amaryllis and Ylva! :smooch:

Aaaaaand, from a pic taken yesterday, here's the proof!

https://i.imgur.com/bOQvqK0.jpg

CindyOfTheOaks
December 15th, 2019, 03:04 PM

Beautiful !

Reyn127
December 15th, 2019, 05:37 PM

Wow Crystawni! How magnificent, great job! What's your plan from here - are you going to keep growing? Or maintain a bit?

Crystawni
December 16th, 2019, 01:25 AM
Beautiful !

Wow Crystawni! How magnificent, great job! What's your plan from here - are you going to keep growing? Or maintain a bit?

Thank you both. :blossom: I don't have any plans except to keep on keeping on, because I'm in a kind of neglect mode with it. I think when I get the bug to snip, I'll maintain at around 47", which isn't far from where I am now.

lunalocks
December 19th, 2019, 03:19 PM
So lovely! FTL is my fav length, I may cut back to that next year.

We could be hair twins! (I'm just a little darker, redder, thinner and straighter and longer)

Crystawni
December 19th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Hair twinsies! :hifive: Thank you, lunalocks. :smooch: You're at knee (or just past now), after being at knee for a while? I can imagine the cutback will feel sooooooo short for a while if you do go ahead with it. I know my trim midyear that had me nearer to classic with a more substantial hemline felt weirdly short for some reason. But this length now seems long enough (sits well when down) without being too tedious.

CindyOfTheOaks
January 1st, 2020, 09:06 AM
I don't know if I am going t make it...
I can grab 20 or so hairs between my thumb pad and hand...looks like another 3 1/2 inches to tip of middle finger

Well...those 20 or so hairs are a fraction past fingertip !
I'll have to find someone to take a pic for me.

lapushka
January 1st, 2020, 09:41 AM
Well...those 20 or so hairs are a fraction past fingertip !
I'll have to find someone to take a pic for me.

FTL = FTL! 20 hairs or no, it counts! :cheer:
Looking forward to the picture! :D

CindyOfTheOaks
January 1st, 2020, 03:08 PM
FTL = FTL! 20 hairs or no, it counts! :cheer:
Looking forward to the picture! :D

Oh thank you lapushka :flower:

It's rather pathetic, but I'll take it :lol:

Crystawni
January 1st, 2020, 09:14 PM
Oh, that's fantastic, Cindy! Congrats! :disco:

:cheer: Happy New Year to all and thanks for sharing your longhair adventures in FTL-land! May all of your tresses live long and prosper, and be kind to you in this new decade. :toast:

Luna Starsetta
January 12th, 2020, 01:46 PM
I know I've been absent for a bit but I went through a stressful time with getting the dye out of my hair. It was hurting more then helping. I had my DH dry cut my hair it feels so short I don't even want to measure it. It was cut in October 2019 Rn I'm just going by how it feels in the shower and it hits my hips in the front soaking wet and the back now feels about tbl but when dry I know it shrinks up. I'm coming back on here for some inspiration. Crystawani your hair looks gorgeous so glad you reached your goal!!!

sophia_
January 14th, 2020, 10:40 PM
Hi guys! I haven't been on in a while but I did reach fingertip (my arms aren't down in this picture for some reason but fingertip is just a bit past where the slip ends). My ends aren't super blunt right now, and I'm sort of reveling in the ease of tucking them into buns, but I do plan on maintaining when I get to knee length in under a year, hopefully (knee length is just a bit below the bottom of the picture)! Sorry for the poor quality again, I only have my phone to take pictures with.

https://i.imgur.com/nobD09I.jpg?1

Crystawni
January 17th, 2020, 09:51 PM
I know I've been absent for a bit but I went through a stressful time with getting the dye out of my hair. It was hurting more then helping. I had my DH dry cut my hair it feels so short I don't even want to measure it. It was cut in October 2019 Rn I'm just going by how it feels in the shower and it hits my hips in the front soaking wet and the back now feels about tbl but when dry I know it shrinks up. I'm coming back on here for some inspiration. Crystawani your hair looks gorgeous so glad you reached your goal!!!

Thank you! :flowers: I'm so glad you updated us, and am sure you'll be growing longer and stronger now that the dye has vamoosed. I still feel the pain of doing a decent trim on my hair last July, and haven't touched it since. It just felt so short all of a sudden, and that doesn't leave you in a hurry. You have gorgeous hair, and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Hi guys! I haven't been on in a while but I did reach fingertip (my arms aren't down in this picture for some reason but fingertip is just a bit past where the slip ends). My ends aren't super blunt right now, and I'm sort of reveling in the ease of tucking them into buns, but I do plan on maintaining when I get to knee length in under a year, hopefully (knee length is just a bit below the bottom of the picture)! Sorry for the poor quality again, I only have my phone to take pictures with.

https://i.imgur.com/nobD09I.jpg?1

Oh, my wowness! Your hair came along beautifully, and is itchingly close to knee! Congrats! :disco:

Luna Starsetta
January 23rd, 2020, 01:18 PM
Thank you! :flowers: I'm so glad you updated us, and am sure you'll be growing longer and stronger now that the dye has vamoosed. I still feel the pain of doing a decent trim on my hair last July, and haven't touched it since. It just felt so short all of a sudden, and that doesn't leave you in a hurry. You have gorgeous hair, and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Oh, my wowness! Your hair came along beautifully, and is itchingly close to knee! Congrats! :disco:

oh thank you so much for the kind words, gives me hope that its going to come back with time. it was just so strange to me i haven't had my hair this short in a long time i have pretty much grown my hair for all my life. i never liked hair cuts or scissors any where near my hair. so the shortest it has ever been was from birth. so to say the least this really is strange for me.