PDA

View Full Version : Well Water

Echileruwen
January 14th, 2019, 06:26 PM
I recently moved to a ranch and it's too far out of town for any utilities except electric. I'm told the well water is really good for providing needed minerals and it does taste much better. There's no chlorine or fluoride added to it. Shampoo does not suds up with the well water. Neither does dish soap, for that matter. My hair just doesn't seem to look as clean and shiny as it used to with the chlorinated water in town. Any thoughts or comments on this?

mica
January 14th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Sounds like hard water! Tastes great but the minerals in it make it hard to properly clean your hair and can cause buildup. There are quite a few threads on the subject, I would check those for tips and product recommendations :o

MusicalSpoons
January 15th, 2019, 05:03 AM
If you have any way of testing the water to find out what you're dealing with (just how hard it is, what types of other minerals are in it, etc) you'd be in a better position to work out how to deal with it :)

Echileruwen
January 15th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Testing might be an option once I'm settled in. Maybe it would be possible to put some sort of filter on the shower itself and leave the rest of the water as it is?

MusicalSpoons
January 15th, 2019, 06:19 AM
There's one brand of shower filter that actually softens the water, as far as I know - the ShowerStick by Watersticks https://watersticks.com/showerstick/ (Any other filter at best removes chlorine / chloramine and maybe impurities so most likely useless for you!)

If you have enough internet to search the forum, there are lots of different ideas and suggestions, some of which might be more viable for you than others. Chelating, acidic rinses, etc but if a shower softener works for you that may well be the simplest thing to do :)

Echileruwen
January 15th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Thank you, Musical Spoons! That sounds like exactly what I need. :)

Internet here is by cable only, and it's slow with drops and outages. It meets my needs, but a lot of younger and more computer-addicted people would probably not like it. I'll check the forum.

Congratulations on passing knee length! Impressive! I'm leaving tailbone and headed for classic. (And need new pictures.)

Nightshade
January 15th, 2019, 10:48 PM
I used to have well water and currently have very hard city water. I use a blend of citric acid, vitamin C, grainularized honey, and essential oils to clarify my hair :)

I get far fewer tangles, my hair is softer, and my henna is brighter.

Echileruwen
January 16th, 2019, 06:11 AM
Any chance you would share that recipe, Nightshade? How much of each ingredient do you use?

Alissalocks
January 16th, 2019, 08:14 AM
I'm on well water, have been for almost 18 years now, and I clarify by adding a capful of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water, poured over recently washed hair, about once a month or so. Honestly, I have no idea if it helps, but I do it (per LHC recommendations) and it doesn't hurt either. It looks kinda fluffy and softer on those days, when it's post ACV rinse.

Like you describe, ours has natural minerals and things do suds differently at first (some products etc) but you get more accustomed to it, I found. Getting your levels tested is helpful, ours has natural fluoride that falls between recommended fluoride levels (bonus!).

Nightshade
January 16th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Any chance you would share that recipe, Nightshade? How much of each ingredient do you use?

I'd like to keep the specific details of the ratios vague because I do sell it as a product, and that's counter-productive for me long-term, but there's a thread here called "Miracle Water" that employs similar and does give ratios :)

MusicalSpoons
January 16th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Thank you, Musical Spoons! That sounds like exactly what I need. :)

Internet here is by cable only, and it's slow with drops and outages. It meets my needs, but a lot of younger and more computer-addicted people would probably not like it. I'll check the forum.

Congratulations on passing knee length! Impressive! I'm leaving tailbone and headed for classic. (And need new pictures.)

Please let us know how you get on, with the filter or anything else you might try :)

Oh thank you! :flowers: (it barely feels like I'm there because my ends are so thin, but happily they can at least be arranged to look decent :grin:) your sig pic looks lovely - so soft and silky, like princess hair :cloud9:

Chromis
January 16th, 2019, 03:36 PM
All well water is going to be different from place to place and well to well. You are supposed to test it every few years, and your well test will tell you things like the pH and mineral content of your water as part of the report.

Your underlying geology is what determines if your water is going to be hard or soft.

Echileruwen
January 16th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Thank you, Musical Spoons, that’s very kind.

And Nightshade, I understand. You have to protect your product. :)

I’ll try the ACV in water the next time I wash it, Alissalocks, thanks.

And Chromis, I know it tested out as healthy to drink before I bought this place, but haven’t seen the report.

I’m still getting used to the rural life. This morning at around 5 am, a pack of coyotes was yipping and howling in front of the house. I didn’t think coyotes would come that close. The dogs didn’t like it. There’s lots of wildlife, and a gazillion stars at night. It’s a new adventure, but my hair just doesn’t look as nice. All the good tips from the people on this forum should help. :)

littlestarface
January 16th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Aye I grew up on a dairy out in the country so I grew up on well water, cows as neighbors, corn fields as a view, coyotes howling all night and boy do they get close, one time some were fighting and hit our front door it was very scary loool. Your hair need to adjust any time there is a change in water from place to place it will effect but in time it'll get better. When I cam to live in town my hair hated it loool.

Chromis
January 16th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Thank you, Musical Spoons, that’s very kind.

And Nightshade, I understand. You have to protect your product. :)

I’ll try the ACV in water the next time I wash it, Alissalocks, thanks.

And Chromis, I know it tested out as healthy to drink before I bought this place, but haven’t seen the report.

I’m still getting used to the rural life. This morning at around 5 am, a pack of coyotes was yipping and howling in front of the house. I didn’t think coyotes would come that close. The dogs didn’t like it. There’s lots of wildlife, and a gazillion stars at night. It’s a new adventure, but my hair just doesn’t look as nice. All the good tips from the people on this forum should help. :)

I 1000% advise you to get a copy of that report and also any well logs. These are often a condition of sale. Don't just take their word for it, you need that report. (I'm sure your water is fine, not to scare you, but this is something you should have as a well owner.) Aside from water quality, you want to know the flow rate and water depth at the time of testing (and hopefully there are well logs to tell you this for different seasons). These are important things to know that you wouldn't have to worry about in the city :flower: