PDA

View Full Version : making your own silicone conditioner

hollygolightly
January 12th, 2019, 10:26 PM
I know the answer is to test it and see how it turns out but I wanted to ask for opinions. I recently discovered my hair does better with silicones than without them. The thing is the last conditioner I bought has no silicones in it and I would really like to use it since it has uv filter on it and I'm going to the beach for summer. I have an argan oil serum which is full of silicones and I was thinking of changing it for another product but I don't have the exchange ticket. Do you think I can mix that coney serum with my non silicone conditioner and create my own silicone conditioner? or it might not be the same? :confused:

lapushka
January 13th, 2019, 04:36 AM
I would just get a cheap silicone conditioner in the store, for the simple reason that I think it's more work and expense to make your own than to just buy a silicone conditioner.

What do you have available to you? I've heard of Novex and they seem to be great products (no idea if they have silicones though).

Obsidian
January 13th, 2019, 04:42 AM
I would try mixing a little in your hand, see how it goes. Use your normal amount of conditioner and add a few drops of the serum, mix well and apply.

hollygolightly
January 13th, 2019, 05:12 AM
I would try mixing a little in your hand, see how it goes. Use your normal amount of conditioner and add a few drops of the serum, mix well and apply.

I think in this cases you just have to experiment

I would just get a cheap silicone conditioner in the store, for the simple reason that I think it's more work and expense to make your own than to just buy a silicone conditioner.

What do you have available to you? I've heard of Novex and they seem to be great products (no idea if they have silicones though).

I bought a silicone conditioner (the rosemary one by herbal essences) but I was thinking of using what I already had

lapushka
January 13th, 2019, 08:20 AM
I don't know about mixing a serum with a conditioner. An oil seems to do fine, but I think you can't use too too much serum otherwise it might become a sticky mess. I would use a small puddle, if you must and there's no other way.

Can't you use the serum in your hair after the wash? You don't need a lot of it, a pea size is sometimes enough, depending on how long your hair is. Serums can be pretty concentrated stuff!

Obsidian
January 13th, 2019, 09:09 AM
I've mixed coney serum into conditioner before, it doesn't turn into a sticky mess. I used roughly 2 tbs condition with about 8 drops of serum. I could have added a lot more, it was a nice creamy mix.

lapushka
January 13th, 2019, 10:05 AM
I've mixed coney serum into conditioner before, it doesn't turn into a sticky mess. I used roughly 2 tbs condition with about 8 drops of serum. I could have added a lot more, it was a nice creamy mix.

Oh gosh, I really pump out the serum, I think about 9 pumps of it (small droplet pumps), until my palm is full and it doesn't run over, that I spread over 2 hands and scrunch into my hair.

Which is maybe why I thought in that amount it might turn into a sticky mess (my hair is never sticky, though). But see, I don't know what that does combined with a conditioner.

Alibran
January 13th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Just mix a small amount at first and see how you get on with it. If you like it, you can mix more. If not, there's no harm done.

hollygolightly
January 13th, 2019, 12:47 PM
I tried it today in the morning and so far is going well, my hair is nice and shiny but the reason why I went back to silicones was because my hair wasn't able to retain moisture, so i'll see how it goes in the next few days

Obsidian
January 13th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Oh gosh, I really pump out the serum, I think about 9 pumps of it (small droplet pumps), until my palm is full and it doesn't run over, that I spread over 2 hands and scrunch into my hair.

Which is maybe why I thought in that amount it might turn into a sticky mess (my hair is never sticky, though). But see, I don't know what that does combined with a conditioner.

Dang, thats a lot. What exactly are you using? Even when my hair was apl, I only used 2 or 3 drops of my coney serum. Anymore would have left me a greasy mess.

lapushka
January 15th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Dang, thats a lot. What exactly are you using? Even when my hair was apl, I only used 2 or 3 drops of my coney serum. Anymore would have left me a greasy mess.

I am using an off-brand, by Aldi (brand = Kyrell). It is an argan oil as well. And I do ROO, and LOC/LCO as well. BUT my lengths are very dry, my scalp is an oily (to normal) SD mess sometimes but my lengths need to be weighed down a lot. And no, it doesn't make my hair oily one bit.

My signature picture is hair after the wash (after being slept on, so Monday hair, as I wash on a Sunday), so for me day 1 hair (the way I count it).

hollygolightly
January 16th, 2019, 01:14 PM
it's been 4 days since I washed my hair (I wash every 4 days) and the results are amazing, the silicone free conditioner + serum really worked out. My biggest issue now with stretching washes is not oily scalp it's not being able to retain moisture and now I feel like I can go for another day.

milosmomma
January 16th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I would say 4-5 days is great as I can only manage about 3 lol. I would listen to your hair if it feels dry and give it a wash because with the coney serum moisture wont be able to get in from my understanding. Just curious how long are you trying to go between washes?

lapushka
January 16th, 2019, 02:37 PM
it's been 4 days since I washed my hair (I wash every 4 days) and the results are amazing, the silicone free conditioner + serum really worked out. My biggest issue now with stretching washes is not oily scalp it's not being able to retain moisture and now I feel like I can go for another day.

Oh that's great that it worked out! :)

hollygolightly
January 16th, 2019, 02:43 PM
I would say 4-5 days is great as I can only manage about 3 lol. I would listen to your hair if it feels dry and give it a wash because with the coney serum moisture wont be able to get in from my understanding. Just curious how long are you trying to go between washes?

The way I see it is that my hair can't retain moisture on it's own, since it has bleach damage :( so the silicone has been helping a lot with moisture, detangling and brekeage.
I would like to stretch to once a week but I'm doing it just for fun, I don't mind washing my hair every 4 days.
Also I use a sulfate shampoo with no silicones so I know I won't get any build up

Oh that's great that it worked out! :)

yes! thanks for your help :)