PDA

View Full Version : Softee products, definitely NOT curly girl

cjk
January 12th, 2019, 12:09 PM
As each of us knows, particularly those of us who are curly, we have to experiment time and again to find what actually works for our hair individually.

And over the last year I've been curly girl. I've had mixed and very inconsistent successes with CG approved products, despite trying. So with the new year, I decided to turn it around. I looked at the heavy products that are sold in the ethnic section. And, I rediscovered Softee.

Basically it's largely petrolatum as a carrier, with varied additives. I've seen it, or similar, on the shelves for years so I decided to try them. Been working great for my beard, so last week I applied a minuscule amount on my hair.

And last week I had my best hair in ages. Could this be my answer?

Today, with my hair dripping wet, I used herbal gro in my straighter canopy and mango butter on my curly back and sides. Scrunched with a towel to remove much of the water. And clipped it up to dry.

We will see what I get as results. Air drying, now. Will it be as good as I got last week?

https://i.imgur.com/JckhTUV_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/C4nvTI9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/tCxRsuq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 12:21 PM
I tried CG, and it wasn't for me; still I use a lot of the "method" but turned around to suit my needs. I also use sulfates and silicones. I think CG is great if you have dry scalp and drier curls.

I have oilier scalp, SD (seborrheic dermatitis), and drier lengths. So I do what I think I should to keep my scalp & hair happy. I take what I want from the general idea of it all.

akurah
January 12th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Your hair looks lovely!

blackgothicdoll
January 12th, 2019, 12:46 PM
It looks like it really does the trick!

Since you only apply a minuscule amount, I don't see it being a problem (especially if it works), but I'll still say to watch out for build-up. That stuff can take some time to wash out once it makes itself at home.

Indian hemp is so nostalgic, I remember the big sized jar as a kid. :o

cjk
January 12th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Your hair looks lovely!

Right now, my hair looks wet! We will see what I get...won't be dry till tonight, at the earliest.

cjk
January 12th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Indian hemp is so nostalgic, I remember the big sized jar as a kid. :o

Which is why I'm trying it. Been around forever. And I can pronounce most of the ingredients! Smells pretty good, too.

Mineral oils are the subject of much debate, but they've been used for a very long time. With success.

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Which is why I'm trying it. Been around forever. And I can pronounce most of the ingredients! Smells pretty good, too.

Mineral oils are the subject of much debate, but they've been used for a very long time. With success.

I used to use baby oil (MO) in the rinse-out oil method. Now I'm using up the neem oil blend that I have, by Dr. Hauschka. Got to get through that bottle first now, before I switch back.

And MO is in my Nivea blue tin moisturizer (for the face) as well. And I have the body lotion too. So yeah. I see nothing wrong with that ingredient whatsoever.

But on the hair, you need to just use tiiiny amounts to get a big effect (and not let it get near the scalp preferably unless you want to keep washing it out).

chiapommama
January 12th, 2019, 01:45 PM
If it works for you keep using it.

cjk
January 12th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Unclipped and half dry. Pinned back on the sides to help with control.

https://i.imgur.com/m1dOfov_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 02:21 PM
If it gives you this much definition, I'd say it's a keeper. ;)

lithostoic
January 12th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Looks great!

cjk
January 12th, 2019, 04:49 PM
If it gives you this much definition, I'd say it's a keeper. ;)

That's where experimentation comes in.

I've had fantastic results with other products. But inconsistently. One side would look great, the other would fall flat. Or whatever. And my crown never curled right. The inconsistency was driving me nuts.

Last Saturday I used the mango butter and had a great hair week. The question isn't whether it works for me, but whether it works consistently.

This is the second time I've used it. We will see!

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 05:13 PM
If something works about 2 times, that's not coincidence; I'm willing to bet it's going to keep giving you good results. But maybe that's me and how I judge my products.

Maybe switching it up sometimes, if it no longer "performs" and then coming back to it, is all it will need.