PDA

View Full Version : Upside down washing makes curls better?

Margarita
January 12th, 2019, 07:04 AM
It is true that washing curly hair upside down help the hair curl better from roots? :confused:

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 07:06 AM
Where did you get that from? I strongly doubt it.

I think styling upside down is better, for scrunching products in and the like, but even that is personal preference.

I would pay it no mind.

Where did you hear it BTW?

Margarita
January 12th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Where did you get that from? I strongly doubt it.

I think styling upside down is better, for scrunching products in and the like, but even that is personal preference.

I would pay it no mind.

Where did you hear it BTW?

I read it on a hair care website. I suppose it was written at the fact you can squish to condish your hair better when its upside down, in order to scrunch and moisturize curls better. Especially at the nape hair.

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 07:31 AM
I read it on a hair care website. I suppose it was written at the fact you can squish to condish your hair better when its upside down, in order to scrunch and moisturize curls better. Especially at the nape hair.

Oh I didn't think of STC.

I always wash my hair upside down / separate from my body.

I wouldn't know what it would be under different conditions. :shrug:

You could give it a go. If you have a handheld showerhead in your tub, you could try.

AmaryllisRed
January 12th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Yeah I saw this in a curly hair video the other day. I wondered about that, too.

Stray_mind
January 12th, 2019, 08:48 AM
It definitely makes my waves more defined, so maybe it isn't completely bogus hahaha.

But then, it also makes me lose more hair for some reason.

lithostoic
January 12th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Some people find that it clumps their curls wrong and they wind up with frizzy hair when they flip it back the right way.

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Some people find that it clumps their curls wrong and they wind up with frizzy hair when they flip it back the right way.

Yes I definitely get "knots" sometimes from doing that. And at some point you have to flip it over!!!

If I use my HE Hello Hydration as my 2nd conditioner, I don't get that at all, so it depends on the conditioner I put into my hair somehow. It's... weird. But there you go.

Alibran
January 12th, 2019, 11:12 AM
For some people, it does. For others, it improves definition (which is not the same thing as increasing curl). For others, it helps distribute product evenly. For yet others, it reduces the amount of conditioner 'lost' from the canopy during partial rinsing. (And countless other benefits, no doubt.)

And for some, it leaves them with a frizzy, tangled mess, and they never do it.

Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I flip my head a few times in the shower to try to ensure all my hair is treated equally, and do the same when applying product. (If I do it all upside down, the back of my canopy tends to get less.) I diffuse mostly upside down because I get more root lift that way.

blackgothicdoll
January 12th, 2019, 12:22 PM
For me, absolutely KNOT.

Because I would get a lot of knots.

Margarita
January 12th, 2019, 12:30 PM
I will try it and update then, :)

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 01:20 PM
For me, absolutely KNOT.

Because I would get a lot of knots.

LOL! I only get knots with the wrong conditioner, when I flip my head over.

But upside down washing pretty much is essential for me and the only way we can get it done.

ExpectoPatronum
January 12th, 2019, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't say washing my hair upside down makes it curl better, but it does help me thoroughly wash my scalp.

Kathie
January 12th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Shampoing I do upright. But I tried STC and rinsing conditioner out upside down last night- must say it was an easier transition to plopping. When it was time to finally flip my hair back I resisted the temptation to help it out. Most of my hair I let fall down in its own time as it dried, other obvious wayward pieces I carefully repositioned while trying not to break the curl clump.

cjk
January 12th, 2019, 06:21 PM
I have always brushed my hair against the grain prior to washing. Similar to what you describe.

It's doubtful the position itself is impacting your curls, but it might be doing something like providing more access to the scalp, or something. Clipping at the roots while drying can provide lift, though.

The real question is whether you've tried it, and by extension, whether it made a positive difference for you?

Margarita
January 13th, 2019, 02:41 AM
You know, shampooing and conditioning hair upside down, i thought that idea because its easier for me to squish to condish better.Especially in my nape hair which is the worst part being not able to curl well. One thing that worries me is the conditioner getting on my bangs, and believe me, my bangs get so oily very fast.

Wendyp
January 13th, 2019, 06:15 AM
I can get to my scalp better and that saves the bottom 2/3 from soap, so I’m the vein maybe? But my waves just do their own thing anyway, sometimes there there sometimes their not :shrug:

Lady Stardust
January 13th, 2019, 09:29 AM
My hair has loads more wave/curl if I wash it upside down. It could be because mine is only shoulder length and doesn’t have that much weight to it, so when I flip my head up the waves stay up around my ears and take ages to descend. I get a mixture of S waves and spirals from the root, and tight, thin ringlets. The canopy just dries straight though.

If I wash upright my hair tends to get weighed down by the water more and it dries into deep body waves, like a bumpy slide. The canopy sometimes joins in and sometimes dries straight.

I expect there’s more of a noticeable difference for me because I don’t have lots of length to pull the waves out, and also I’m a barely wavy rather than a curly, so extra wave is more noticeable.

OhSuzi
January 14th, 2019, 09:52 AM
I prefer to wash upside down, so that any shampoo / conditioner etc makes it's way easily to the nape. & seems to reach all my hair more eaily.

If I wash the right way up top layer gets most the product & it doesnt distribute as easily +it makes more easily visable hair breakage n frizz as the rubbing in products affects the top layers rather than the hidden underneath ones.

try it & do whatever works best for you!

leayellena
January 15th, 2019, 01:44 AM
actually this method curled my hair like crazy!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29388&d=1512459075

don't ask me why though. I wouldn't know why...

I discovered I have straight(ish) hair when I flipped my hair over my back for the first time. I had to do this because my hair was getting heavy and I have back pains when I flip forward (scoliosis can be a pain in the...)
I was so confused back then and I remember how I asked lhc if I have 1c or 2a or 1c/2a or 2b/2c or 2a/2b...
I also checked out some beauty blogs (cosmopolitan, elle) where hairdressers bring up the curls like there's a disney wedding happening. I tried, experiment happy as I am, to bring up my curls again but the top was becomming flatter and flatter every season. now I can swear I have like 1b un top (cowlicks can make hair stay away from the scalp a bit). now I realise the rest of the bends and curls are what's left of my layers.
after a bit of oiling and combing my hair looks pretty straight:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30145&d=1517812229

MusicalSpoons
January 15th, 2019, 04:53 AM
^ for hairtyping what matters is a hairtyping photo, not how it behaves once manipulated. I think the different hairtype threads are there to discuss how each type reacts to different washing and styling methods, but for determining your hair type none of that actually matters. If either of those co-washed pictures were how it airdried untouched, there is no way you're a 1c - I see spirals in both photos!!

(Edit: I know the hairtyping guide says shampoo and condition, but it also says 'wash as normal' - if someone's usual washing method *is* to co-wash, then to me it's only logical that it still counts as acceptable for hairtyping.)

lapushka
January 15th, 2019, 08:31 AM
^ for hairtyping what matters is a hairtyping photo, not how it behaves once manipulated. I think the different hairtype threads are there to discuss how each type reacts to different washing and styling methods, but for determining your hair type none of that actually matters. If either of those co-washed pictures were how it airdried untouched, there is no way you're a 1c - I see spirals in both photos!!

(Edit: I know the hairtyping guide says shampoo and condition, but it also says 'wash as normal' - if someone's usual washing method *is* to co-wash, then to me it's only logical that it still counts as acceptable for hairtyping.)

I think the "normal" way is to shampoo + condition - if you CO-wash it may bring out the texture more (as you clearly see in above picture). After all it is less "stripping", which is the general idea of a clean picture. But that's MHO.