PDA

View Full Version : Make your own capillary schedule

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Hello, everyone! So, there is a type of hair care that is becoming quite popular in South America. It involves building a personalized capillary schedule (cronograma capilar) based on your hair needs, be it moisture, nutrition, or repair. I think it will be intriguing for people, like me, that love scheduling.:beerchug:

First, you need to do a porosity test: get a strand of your hair (from a brush or such) and place it on a water surface. If the strand sinks to the bottom, you need to base your schedule on repair. If the strand stays neither on the bottom nor on the surface of the water, you need nutrition. If the strand floats on the surface, you need moisture ( https://i.postimg.cc/d1XvBz5m/kit-cronograma-probelle-dicas.jpg ).

Now that this test is done, you can build you own capillary schedule. A capillary schedule usually involves washing hair 3 times a week, each time focusing on a specific need.
For example, my hair strand floated on the surface so I need moisture. My capillary schedule involves 10 monthly hydrating treatments, 1 monthly nutrition treatment, and 1 monthly repair treatment.
My hydration-based capillary schedule:
1st week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-hydration

2nd week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-nutrition

3rd week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-hydration

4th week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-repair

If you hair needs nutrition, you'd alternate between nutrition, hydration, and repair.
Such as:
1st week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-nutrition
3rd day-hydration

2nd week
1st day-nutrition
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-repair

3rd week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-nutrition
3rd day-hydration

4th week
1st day-nutrition
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-repair

The concept would be similar with a schedule based on repair. That is, fitting in hydration treatments between repair and nutrition.
As you can see, the treatments alternate every week and the schedule is repeated every month.
(Very important, always do a hydration day before/after and between nutrition and repair treatments since too much protein can make your hair crunchy.)

Now, what constitutes a hydrating treatment?
-hydrating masks (obviously)
-shea butter
-shea oil
-liquid d-panthenol (vitamin B5, usually mixed with a hydrating conditioner and/or mask)
-SMT

Nutrition treatments would, basically, be oils like:
-coconut oil
-castor oil
-olive oil
-amla oil, and other Indian oils
-argan oil

Repair treatments include:
-your regular keratin masks
-collagen treatments
-and other protein-heavy masks/conditioners

And that's all! I hope you find this as interesting and fun to plan out as I do! :cheer:

Here is a site that explains it all very clearly. It's in Portuguese, but nothing google translate can't fix! There aren't many sites that offer info in English as it's quite centralized in Brazil. https://www.todecacho.com.br/cronograma-capilar-como-fazer/

Please comment if you have more info as I'm only getting started with this.

Kathie
January 10th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Oh! I like this. I like how systematic and structured it sounds. Thank you for sharing. I'll take a look at the link and give this some serious thought.

lapushka
January 10th, 2019, 03:59 PM
That water test, just so you know, is seriously flawed. :flower:

browntatis
January 10th, 2019, 04:08 PM
I do the Cronograma Capilar Method and I love it! It really gave me very good results, I am still using it with every wash.
I first found out about it a few years back on instagram, this Brazilian Girls who came out with this method have amazing beautiful hair! I follow them on instagram and it serve as my hair inspiration and motivation to continue with my hair journey.

akurah
January 10th, 2019, 04:08 PM
The water test for hair strands is worse than flawed, it's a complete lie and fake...

blackgothicdoll
January 10th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Oh! I like this. I like how systematic and structured it sounds. Thank you for sharing. I'll take a look at the link and give this some serious thought.

The water test for hair strands is worse than flawed, it's a complete lie and fake...

I just came across a link about this in another thread earlier today and was rather surprised. I thought this test was more about porosity than damage, though?

Edit: NVM, they both are sort of related I suppose.

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Yes, it's about determining hair porosity...but if someone could elaborate?

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Glad you find it interesting! :cheer:

browntatis
January 10th, 2019, 04:30 PM
In truth, doing the hair strand test doesn't matter, knowing your hair type and condition is enough to choose which Cronograma is the right one to go for.

The whole point of the Cronograma Capilar is the schedule and the order of the products which gives really good results, the hair strand is not really that important :)

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 04:41 PM
I do the Cronograma Capilar Method and I love it! It really gave me very good results, I am still using it with every wash.
I first found out about it a few years back on instagram, this Brazilian Girls who came out with this method have amazing beautiful hair! I follow them on instagram and it serve as my hair inspiration and motivation to continue with my hair journey.

In truth, doing the hair strand test doesn't matter, knowing your hair type and condition is enough to choose which Cronograma is the right one to go for.

The whole point of the Cronograma Capilar is the schedule and the order of the products which gives really good results, the hair strand is not really that important :)

I'm glad it works for you! I've recently started and my hair does feel softer and easier to brush through.

As for the porosity test, they always mention it as a step before making the schedule. I didn't know it was wrong? Couldn't find anything on here either. I wish someone would elaborate. :confused: Regardless, as you said, with knowing your hair type and hair condition, you can start planning your schedule.

blackgothicdoll
January 10th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Yes, it's about determining hair porosity...but if someone could elaborate?

Sorry, here's the link I was referred to in another thread. https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/hair-porosity-float-test.html?m=1

dagny
January 10th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Thank you for giving a detailed explaination of this method. Feelgoodetc has a similar "program", in which one does an online questionnaire and then they email a program regarding moisture, nutrition, and restoration -- however, they don't give full explaination as to what consititutes as "moisture" and what for "nutrition". So I really appreciate the information you have given!

:-)

Ligeia Noire
January 10th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Here it is an article from the awesome sciency hair blog.

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/testing-float-test-for-hair-porosity.html?m=1

It is very in depth and it will clear the misconceptions. Some hair is thinner than others and some are porous just because of being wavy or curly not because of being damaged... anyway it is an essential read. About the cronograma. It might be fun but to me is a whole lot of work... I only wash my hair once a week or two weeks and don't use much. I am low maintenance and don't obsess much over it. Less is more but for those of you that are still on the hunt for the perfect routine or that like to experiment it sounds interesting. I have Brazilian friends in college that stick to it religiously.

Edit- I think this is the same link that blackgothicdoll posted :)

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Sorry, here's the link I was referred to in another thread. https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/hair-porosity-float-test.html?m=1

Oh, that's super interesting! Thanks for the info!

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 05:04 PM

Thank you for giving a detailed explaination of this method. Feelgoodetc has a similar "program", in which one does an online questionnaire and then they email a program regarding moisture, nutrition, and restoration -- however, they don't give full explaination as to what consititutes as "moisture" and what for "nutrition". So I really appreciate the information you have given!

You're very welcome! Have you tried this before, then?

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Here it is an article from the awesome sciency hair blog.

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/testing-float-test-for-hair-porosity.html?m=1

It is very in depth and it will clear the misconceptions. Some hair is thinner than others and some are porous just because of being wavy or curly not because of being damaged... anyway it is an essential read. About the cronograma. It might be fun but to me is a whole lot of work... I only wash my hair once a week or two weeks and don't use much. I am low maintenance and don't obsess much over it. Less is more but for those of you that are still on the hunt for the perfect routine or that like to experiment it sounds interesting. I have Brazilian friends in college that stick to it religiously.

Thanks for the info! And yes, it does involve a lot of hair washing, doesn't it? :hmm: I'm hoping that, eventually, I'll be able to extend the treatments to once a week. For now, this is fine and fun ;)

Natalia_A00
January 10th, 2019, 06:21 PM
I follow this girl on Instagram (actually there are a lot of accounts like this by people who follow this method): cabelosdaangell, foco_projetorapunzel, lisoselongos, projetorapunzell_saudavel. I want to try some of the products they use, to find an appropriate mask for each schedule. Also I like to try new things, not always the same three shampoos they sell in a typical drugstore

Natalia_A00
January 10th, 2019, 06:23 PM
My only concern, as I said in the other thread, is if using hair masks 3 times a week is actually good or not. I thought once a week was more than enough. Maybe I will over hydrate my hair

Crystawni
January 10th, 2019, 07:07 PM
My only concern, as I said in the other thread, is if using hair masks 3 times a week is actually good or not. I thought once a week was more than enough. Maybe I will over hydrate my hair

You can only try, I guess. I use a dab of hair mask as a leave in on my ends after most washes (twice a week or so) and have great results.

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 08:33 PM
I follow this girl on Instagram (actually there are a lot of accounts like this by people who follow this method): cabelosdaangell, foco_projetorapunzel, lisoselongos, projetorapunzell_saudavel. I want to try some of the products they use, to find an appropriate mask for each schedule. Also I like to try new things, not always the same three shampoos they sell in a typical drugstore

There's looots of great Brazilian products. Trust me, it's a goldmine. Yamasterol is one of the best, for me.

On the amount of hair masks, I don't think you need to worry, since you'll be alternating with intense protein treatments, which are quite drying. However, another option could be extending 1 week treatments to 3 weeks by doing one mask a week and extending your washes. Don't know if I explained that right. :run:

Begemot
January 12th, 2019, 08:09 AM
I don't think this differs much from what I have been doing already. I could try adding more nutritional treatments. My hair doesn't like coconut oil so need to seek out some other oil. I do wish I could try out some Brazilian products! :D

hollygolightly
January 12th, 2019, 10:38 PM
This is so cool! I'm from south america too and haven't heard of this before. I use to alternate between a moisturizing mask and a protein mask everytime I washed, but I think I could plan it better.

can you link the program your refering to?

dagny
July 1st, 2019, 03:45 PM
You're very welcome! Have you tried this before, then?

I have loosely followed this method since January -- meaning I rotate hair masks at each washing and then throw in a mask with protein monthly. The masks I used are just store-bought ones that I have and I used them in the shower after washing and before conditioner.

For the past two months, I have kind of "forgotten" to use the masks and I have noticed my hair does not look as nice. So, I will be starting back up again and will follow the schedule more closely using the following masks:

Moisture: SMT
Nutrition: avocado/EVOO hair mask
Protein: Brazilian keratin spray that I own

I have seen conflicting information regarding ingredients. For example, shea butter is listed as "nutrition" but you list it as "moisture". I am also not sure where coconut oil fits in...? While it is a fat, The Hair Routine website has it in their "moisturizing" mask. https://www.thehairroutine.com/

dagny
July 1st, 2019, 03:46 PM
This is so cool! I'm from south america too and haven't heard of this before. I use to alternate between a moisturizing mask and a protein mask everytime I washed, but I think I could plan it better.

can you link the program your refering to?

Yes:

https://www.thehairroutine.com/

Six Seeds
July 4th, 2019, 02:48 AM
I have loosely followed this method since January -- meaning I rotate hair masks at each washing and then throw in a mask with protein monthly. The masks I used are just store-bought ones that I have and I used them in the shower after washing and before conditioner.

For the past two months, I have kind of "forgotten" to use the masks and I have noticed my hair does not look as nice. So, I will be starting back up again and will follow the schedule more closely using the following masks:

Moisture: SMT
Nutrition: avocado/EVOO hair mask
Protein: Brazilian keratin spray that I own

I have seen conflicting information regarding ingredients. For example, shea butter is listed as "nutrition" but you list it as "moisture". I am also not sure where coconut oil fits in...? While it is a fat, The Hair Routine website has it in their "moisturizing" mask. https://www.thehairroutine.com/

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just saw a youtube video about it and have been doing some reading. I can't figure out what the "nutrition" step is actually supposed to do. Most articles that I've found in English mention ceramides, which may or may not actually be present in natural oils. Many of the oils that you find on ceramide lists are dry oils, which build up on the hair like silicones do and will require clarifying to remove, which is something to keep in mind.

This might be a good time to review what oils can do to/for the hair: https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

What are ceramides supposed to do for the hair? Bind to the shaft to prevent the loss of moisture and protein. So whether dry oils contain a high percentage of ceramides or not, it appears that they might accomplish the same thing. You could also look for commercial conditioners that are formulated with synthetic ceramides, or even silicones!

Six Seeds
July 4th, 2019, 02:51 AM
Oops, I should have checked my post before I sent it. *facepalm*

"I know this thread is a few months old, but I just saw a youtube video about it and have been doing some reading."

By it, I meant that I just watched a video about the capillary method. Anyway, I would love to hear what others think about the nutrition step, especially if I'm misunderstanding something about it or my logic is faulty. :)

Begemot
July 5th, 2019, 04:10 AM
Good thing you brought this up, Six Seeds. Earlier I didn't give much thought to the nutrition part and figured it's just about oils. Maybe especially about oils that are rich in essential fatty acids? Nutrition makes me think about diet and lifestyle stuff. So maybe you can put healthy stuff like avocado, banana, yogurt etc. directly on your hair as nutrition treatment, or something like that. I prefer to eat my avocados and bananas but many make hair masks by mixing oils and such with them. Herbal hair treatments maybe?

Hopefully someone who actually has answers shows up soon, since I'm just speculating :)

Six Seeds
July 5th, 2019, 05:06 PM
This link that Gisela shared is actually pretty helpful.

Here is a site that explains it all very clearly. It's in Portuguese, but nothing google translate can't fix! There aren't many sites that offer info in English as it's quite centralized in Brazil. https://www.todecacho.com.br/cronograma-capilar-como-fazer/

From todecacho:

"What is capillary nutrition? Curly and curly hair tend to have a greater tendency to dry the hair, since its curvature prevents the scalp from reaching the tips. Thus, among the treatments most indicated to eliminate dryness is the capillary nutrition.

Hair nutrition is the procedure responsible for restoring lipids to hair. But what are lipids? Basically, they are fats produced by the sebaceous glands of the scalp, and their function is to give a protective layer to the wires, leaving them soft, flexible, shiny and with cuticles aligned. Thus, capillary nutrition is the best way to ensure that the wires are hydrated, protected, more beautiful and healthy."

I don't know Portuguese, so that's a Google translation ;)

I'm thinking about trying this out starting next month, using a customized schedule from The Hair Routine. I would use SMT for Hydration, either a mix of my own oils (thinking avocado, sweet almond and coconut) or Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil mask for Nutrition, and Aphogee 2 minute Keratin for Reconstruction. I only wash once a week and don't plan to change that, so I will be stretching my cycle out accordingly. This means I won't get a protein treatment every month, but I'm okay with that, I don't need frequent protein treatments.

I'm also following Organically Anna on youtube, who is doing the capillary schedule and is supposed to be posting some DIY recipes. Here is her first video about it:
https://youtu.be/LMcNO0e7mWQ

antoniamiranda
September 15th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Hello, everyone! So, there is a type of hair care that is becoming quite popular in South America. It involves building a personalized capillary schedule (cronograma capilar) based on your hair needs, be it moisture, nutrition, or repair. I think it will be intriguing for people, like me, that love scheduling.:beerchug:

First, you need to do a porosity test: get a strand of your hair (from a brush or such) and place it on a water surface. If the strand sinks to the bottom, you need to base your schedule on repair. If the strand stays neither on the bottom nor on the surface of the water, you need nutrition. If the strand floats on the surface, you need moisture ( https://i.postimg.cc/d1XvBz5m/kit-cronograma-probelle-dicas.jpg ).

Now that this test is done, you can build you own capillary schedule. A capillary schedule usually involves washing hair 3 times a week, each time focusing on a specific need.
For example, my hair strand floated on the surface so I need moisture. My capillary schedule involves 10 monthly hydrating treatments, 1 monthly nutrition treatment, and 1 monthly repair treatment.
My hydration-based capillary schedule:
1st week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-hydration

2nd week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-nutrition

3rd week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-hydration

4th week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-repair

If you hair needs nutrition, you'd alternate between nutrition, hydration, and repair.
Such as:
1st week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-nutrition
3rd day-hydration

2nd week
1st day-nutrition
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-repair

3rd week
1st day-hydration
2nd day-nutrition
3rd day-hydration

4th week
1st day-nutrition
2nd day-hydration
3rd day-repair

The concept would be similar with a schedule based on repair. That is, fitting in hydration treatments between repair and nutrition.
As you can see, the treatments alternate every week and the schedule is repeated every month.
(Very important, always do a hydration day before/after and between nutrition and repair treatments since too much protein can make your hair crunchy.)

Now, what constitutes a hydrating treatment?
-hydrating masks (obviously)
-shea butter
-shea oil
-liquid d-panthenol (vitamin B5, usually mixed with a hydrating conditioner and/or mask)
-SMT

Nutrition treatments would, basically, be oils like:
-coconut oil
-castor oil
-olive oil
-amla oil, and other Indian oils
-argan oil

Repair treatments include:
-your regular keratin masks
-collagen treatments
-and other protein-heavy masks/conditioners

And that's all! I hope you find this as interesting and fun to plan out as I do! :cheer:

Please comment if you have more info as I'm only getting started with this.

I'm doing this too! Just started with my first treatment :) I wash twice a week so I do

Week 1 Hydration Hydration
Week 2 Hydration Nutrition
Week 3 Hydration Hydration
Week 4 Hydration Reconstruction

For my first hydration I am doing calia intensive conditioner with agave nectar, worked so well!

Wendyclaire
September 16th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Too much trouble!

turtlehair
November 3rd, 2019, 01:24 AM
For the nutrition part of the schedule: I don’t understand. Should I shampoo and conditioner as usual and then add oils or oils before shampoo and conditioner?

turtlehair
November 3rd, 2019, 01:34 AM
Also! Is it possible to stretch out the capillary schedule and still get good results regarding hair growth or would it be best to wash hair three times a week? Currently I wash my hair twice or once a week - not fully sure. Are there any benefits or washing hair three times a week?
Also, this has nothing to do with the capillary schedule, but how do you know when it is time to wash your hair?

CuteCrow
November 15th, 2019, 03:06 PM
I can't figure out what the "nutrition" step is actually supposed to do.
The word "nutriçao" makes sense in Portuguese but not that much in English. This method is originally supposed to be done with commercial masks and those who contains a lot of oils are usually comersialised like "nourishing" in Brazil, that's why in this method nutrition=oils.

Also this method was mostly shared by the Brazilian curly community (so many of them long haired :inlove: ) and as it's been said here curly hair don't let the natural sebum travel down the lengths as easily, so we usually have problems retaining moisture. The oils have two objectives here, retain moisture and make hair look and feel silky. This second thing is achieved by the oils filling the spaces between the scales on our hair.

What are ceramides supposed to do for the hair?
Ceramides have the same purpose but are supposed to imitate our natural oils better than vegetables oils. I don't know if this has any advantages.

For the nutrition part of the schedule: I don’t understand. Should I shampoo and conditioner as usual and then add oils or oils before shampoo and conditioner?
As I said above this was intended to be used with commercial masks, so you are supposed to wash and condition as usual and then use the mask with oils. You could always add oils to a mask you already have or a homemade one.
But I suppose you could always add oils to your routine and have similar effects. I think it's just about trying and seeing what's best for your hair, you could try both a roo (rise out oil) or a pre-poo oil and adding oils after washing.

Also! Is it possible to stretch out the capillary schedule and still get good results regarding hair growth or would it be best to wash hair three times a week?
It's perfectly fine to stretch the washes but probably you could want to adjust the schedule for that. Like:
Week 1: Hydration
Week 2: Nutrition
Week 3: Hydration
Week 4: repair
For a week with two washing days just add another hydrating mask.

Also, this has nothing to do with the capillary schedule, but how do you know when it is time to wash your hair?
Everyone is different and I think there's already a couple of threads here about that. I'd say wash it when you feel you need to wash. For me that is when it itches, when it does is the signal my scalp is sending me that it need a wash. But that can be every other day or once a week, so I don't have a set schedule for washing my hair.

Mariekeeee14
December 26th, 2019, 03:12 AM
I'm gonna give this a try, and do a mask once a week. Now it's only a matter of matching the masks to the H, N or R. Can anyone help me a bit? How about the hair food masks? I own the banana, papaya and aloe ones. What is what, which is which? Same for the Novex Movie Star mask (the bright red one). Is it N or R?

leayellena
December 27th, 2019, 02:29 AM
I'll do
Week 2: Nutrition
Week 3: Hydration
Week 4: repair
except I'll use conditioner. maybe a hair mask if there's no conditioner on sale. I keep my pre-wash coconut oil for an hour or more, then proceed with the capilary schedule. I'll keep my conditioner for 10 mins. or longer in my hair.
I'll use a biiiiiiiiiit of coconut oil after co-wash so my hair won't get greasy.
I just wonder how my scalp can love not being washed, but my hair needs moisture quite every week. oh well :shrug:

femmefatale
January 26th, 2020, 01:23 AM
Hey guys check this post out
https://www.instagram.com/p/BweynBElwcO/?igshid=1uj9zd9h4clgg
She makes customised cs routines
This post describes a general cs routine
For normal hair one mask a week is enough
and for high porosity /damaged hair 3 masks a week is encouraged

Also what is hair porosity by an hairstylist—>https://youtu.be/yT383xYwEpU

leayellena
January 26th, 2020, 02:23 AM
Today I start my new month of capilary schedule (https://luisahx.blogspot.com/2019/12/hair-challenges-2020.html) but just to finish my moisturising conditioner

Mariekeeee14
January 26th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Hey guys check this post out
https://www.instagram.com/p/BweynBElwcO/?igshid=1uj9zd9h4clgg
She makes customised cs routines
This post describes a general cs routine
For normal hair one mask a week is enough
and for high porosity /damaged hair 3 masks a week is encouraged

Also what is hair porosity by an hairstylist—>https://youtu.be/yT383xYwEpU

It is true she makes custom capillary schedules... for $20

femmefatale
January 26th, 2020, 02:00 PM
It is true she makes custom capillary schedules... for $20
In the post she describes what a general cs should be like
I’m following the general one for low porosity hair since mist virgin hairs are low porosity
Week 2: Hydration
Week 3: Nutrition
Week 4: Repair

femmefatale
January 26th, 2020, 02:01 PM
If any one wants I can post the different diy masks that I find on here
At least that way I can put all this net surfing to some use

lakhesis
January 26th, 2020, 02:15 PM
I think it would be useful if there is some comprehensive list of ingredients to know which mask falls under what.

I wash my hair three times a week and I ALWAYS use a hair mask before for at least half an hour. But then I also use a conditioner and leave in conditioner and since my products are mismatched I would have a hard time classifying it under just one category :D

CuteCrow
February 2nd, 2020, 08:57 AM
After a quick search I found this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c5/aa/9d/c5aa9d198733bc1c6cb7ea3027290699.png)

A rough translation would be:

Moisturising:

Aloe vera
Pantenol
Sugar and sugar by-products
Vitamin A, B, D and D
Plant extracts (Jaborandi, Aloe, etc.)
Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol
Gliceryn
Bepantol
Oat protein
Silk protein
Royal jelly
Plain yogurt
chocolate
coconut water
Coconut milk

Nourish:

shea butter
murumuru butter
Cupuassu butter
Cocoa butter
Avocado oil
Coconut oil
Olive oil
Argan oil
Bone marrow oil
Sweet Almond oil
Ceramides
Lineseed

Repair:

Wheat proteins and aminoacids (Hydrolized wheat protein, wheat amino acids), hydrolized soy protein
Keratin
Creatine
Arginine
Lysine
Proline
Collagen

Usually to decide which characteristic your conditioner has you take the first 5-10 ingredients and see which list most of them belong to. Unless it's repair, any mask containing any protein in their first 10 ingredients is usually considered a repair mask.

honeybee93
February 2nd, 2020, 06:03 PM
After a quick search I found this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c5/aa/9d/c5aa9d198733bc1c6cb7ea3027290699.png)

A rough translation would be:

Moisturising:

Aloe vera
Pantenol
Sugar and sugar by-products
Vitamin A, B, D and D
Plant extracts (Jaborandi, Aloe, etc.)
Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol
Gliceryn
Bepantol
Oat protein
Silk protein
Royal jelly
Plain yogurt
chocolate
coconut water
Coconut milk

Nourish:

shea butter
murumuru butter
Cupuassu butter
Cocoa butter
Avocado oil
Coconut oil
Olive oil
Argan oil
Bone marrow oil
Sweet Almond oil
Ceramides
Lineseed

Repair:

Wheat proteins and aminoacids (Hydrolized wheat protein, wheat amino acids), hydrolized soy protein
Keratin
Creatine
Arginine
Lysine
Proline
Collagen

Usually to decide which characteristic your conditioner has you take the first 5-10 ingredients and see which list most of them belong to. Unless it's repair, any mask containing any protein in their first 10 ingredients is usually considered a repair mask.

Thank you so much!

Fimu
July 27th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Sounds interesting! My hair is diagnosed as mainly high-porosity by a microscopical analysis, so I should do reconstruction treatments more regularly, but then spread out because I also only wash my hair once or twice a week.

However, did they go into details about a styling schedule after washing? Because my curly hair needs at least an oil for styling and I currentlt refresh with oil and/or leave-in conditioner between washes.

sipnsun
July 28th, 2020, 06:36 AM
There is a free app that Organicallyanna recommends that takes the guess work out of the capillary schedule. I downloaded it yesterday and after answering a few questions it set up the schedule for me with what I need (hydration, restoration, nutrition) and on which day for the next 12 weeks. It's called Meu Cronograma Capilar in the app store (its in English even though it looks otherwise). Hopefully it will be helpful and clear up any confusion.

Fimu
July 28th, 2020, 10:47 AM
There is a free app that Organicallyanna recommends that takes the guess work out of the capillary schedule. I downloaded it yesterday and after answering a few questions it set up the schedule for me with what I need (hydration, restoration, nutrition) and on which day for the next 12 weeks. It's called Meu Cronograma Capilar in the app store (its in English even though it looks otherwise). Hopefully it will be helpful and clear up any confusion.

Thank you for the tip! Just downloaded it for recipe ideas.

I'm really curious though if Brazilian products are really of better quality for long curly hair than Western or black hair products -- I've tried Novex Mystic Black mask a 2 years ago but I recall it didn't had much slip.

sipnsun
July 28th, 2020, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the tip! Just downloaded it for recipe ideas.

I'm really curious though if Brazilian products are really of better quality for long curly hair than Western or black hair products -- I've tried Novex Mystic Black mask a 2 years ago but I recall it didn't had much slip.

That is a great question and I honestly don't know, I usually just purchase things locally or order online. I've been having good luck using Shea Moisture, Living Proof and Carina Organics. I also use a lot of oils (avocado, castor, jojoba, argan) too. If you try any that you love, please share!

CuteCrow
July 28th, 2020, 08:28 PM
I've noticed that the trend now is to set the capillary schedule for 12 washes. A lot of people in brazil wash their hair 3 times a week, that's why most schedules found online have twelve washes in them (for a four weeks period). So most people right now spread their washes based on that instead of using the most "important" treatment for that week.

However, did they go into details about a styling schedule after washing? Because my curly hair needs at least an oil for styling and I currentlt refresh with oil and/or leave-in conditioner between washes.

I haven't seen anyone talking about styling, I suppose in some treatments like repair/protein it would be a little overboard. the capillary schedule is more aimed at setting up a guide on which treatments to do every week.

I don't know about what products are available to you but a lot of people think about Brazilian hair products like the new korean for hair instead of skin. I do know that they use a lot more natural products and oils. There's also a TON of variety for every need or hair type. Also, their bottles are huge lol

Fimu
July 29th, 2020, 06:12 AM
I've noticed that the trend now is to set the capillary schedule for 12 washes. A lot of people in brazil wash their hair 3 times a week, that's why most schedules found online have twelve washes in them (for a four weeks period). So most people right now spread their washes based on that instead of using the most "important" treatment for that week.

I haven't seen anyone talking about styling, I suppose in some treatments like repair/protein it would be a little overboard. the capillary schedule is more aimed at setting up a guide on which treatments to do every week.

I don't know about what products are available to you but a lot of people think about Brazilian hair products like the new korean for hair instead of skin. I do know that they use a lot more natural products and oils. There's also a TON of variety for every need or hair type. Also, their bottles are huge lol

With those huge jars and living in a tropical climate I can imagine it's affordable and doable to wash your hair three times a week :lol:

Yes, I also feel like Brazilian hair care is the Asian beauty of (curly) hair care.

I'm surprised they don't discuss styling, since curly hair usually needs leave-ins, gels and/or oils to promote clumping and reducing frizz, unless the Capillary recipes already make the "naked" curls well-defined

My country sells various lines of Novex, but Mystic Black and Movie Star are the most popular ones because they don't contain petrolatum/mineral oil.

CuteCrow
July 29th, 2020, 06:53 AM
With those huge jars and living in a tropical climate I can imagine it's affordable and doable to wash your hair three times a week :lol:

Yes, I also feel like Brazilian hair care is the Asian beauty of (curly) hair care.

I'm surprised they don't discuss styling, since curly hair usually needs leave-ins, gels and/or oils to promote clumping and reducing frizz, unless the Capillary recipes already make the "naked" curls well-defined

My country sells various lines of Novex, but Mystic Black and Movie Star are the most popular ones because they don't contain petrolatum/mineral oil.

And most of those products are really affordable in Brazil. Why can't they be everywhere else too? :(

I've never seen anyone talking about styling based on the capillary schedule. But they do style their hair of course. Most people I've seen just style their hair as usual.

As fas a I know most Brazilian wash their hair as follows shampoo -> mask -> conditioner. Some skip the conditioner after the mask but a lot of them do it like that. The capillary schedule is just like a guide for the type of products your hair need for the "mask" part.

For styling I've seen most of them using two basic products: a cream (usually a hair mask, conditioner, leave-in, or curling cream) + a gel.
Then everyone have their own needs or likes/dislikes: some use oils, some don't use a gel at all, use a leave in plus a curling cream...

There's a lot of general tips around the Brazilian hair care community too. A lot of them use oils or masks before washing their hair, preach finger detangling only as the best way to detangle, use masks while exercising so the body heat helps to open the cuticles, sectioning and aplying products to each section individually doesn't matter your hair density...

I think Novex is a really good brand if you can find the petrolatum free products and easy to find outside Brazil :D

Fimu
July 29th, 2020, 07:51 AM
And most of those products are really affordable in Brazil. Why can't they be everywhere else too? :(

As fas a I know most Brazilian wash their hair as follows shampoo -> mask -> conditioner. Some skip the conditioner after the mask but a lot of them do it like that. The capillary schedule is just like a guide for the type of products your hair need for the "mask" part.

There's a lot of general tips around the Brazilian hair care community too. A lot of them use oils or masks before washing their hair, preach finger detangling only as the best way to detangle, use masks while exercising so the body heat helps to open the cuticles, sectioning and aplying products to each section individually doesn't matter your hair density...

I think Novex is a really good brand if you can find the petrolatum free products and easy to find outside Brazil :D

I wish I had access to to Skala or Kanechom :/.

So basically, they do some kind of WCC but with deepco as C1 :).

Is cowashing common too over there? Do most of them follow the no sulfates/no cones rules, or is it each to their own just like here on this forum?

I do finger detangling as well, but on IG I see Brazilian curlies using the brush/comb generously for styling.

Tbh I'm actually curious about the petrolatum masks from Novex because the Mystic Black was too heavy in shea butter for me (adds too much grip).

It's unfortunate I can't understand Portuguese, since not everything is translatable :(.

Fimu
July 29th, 2020, 08:03 AM
Edit: double post

CuteCrow
July 29th, 2020, 04:39 PM
I wish I had access to to Skala or Kanechom :/.

So basically, they do some kind of WCC but with deepco as C1 :).

Is cowashing common too over there? Do most of them follow the no sulfates/no cones rules, or is it each to their own just like here on this forum?

I do finger detangling as well, but on IG I see Brazilian curlies using the brush/comb generously for styling.

Tbh I'm actually curious about the petrolatum masks from Novex because the Mystic Black was too heavy in shea butter for me (adds too much grip).

It's unfortunate I can't understand Portuguese, since not everything is translatable :(.

Skala is a really nice cheap brand that gets most of its ingredients from brazil itself, that's why it's so cheap there. Same with Kanechom and many other Brazilian brands but skala is the oldest one in the Brazilian market and has a HUGE variety of products. "Salon line", "lola" and "seda" are other brands that have been recommended to me.

Keep in mind that what I know mostly comes from Brazilian friends, I'm not Brazilian myself but I understand some Portuguese. That said, I have seen a lot of people co-washing but they kind of encourage you to find your scalp "dryness". If you have a greasy to normal scalp you can use shampoo normally, with normal to dry I've seen a lot of people mixing a small amount of shampoo with their conditioner as a sort of DYI cowash conditioner, and if you have dry to very dry scalp use only conditioner.

I've also seen a lot of them use brushes for styling. I suppose because once the hair is detangled it's safer to use a brush on it? I don't know, I haven't heard anyone comment on that, but I've seen a trend recently of dedãoliss (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak80_BO3w8s)vs dedinho (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLfPbty90S8). I guess both would translate to finger coiling, so I think people are gravitating towards finger styling too.

Low poo/ no poo is a thing there but I've seen people a lot more concerned with petroleum derivates than with silicones.

The problem with petrolatum, liquid paraffin and mineral oils is that they act pretty much like silicones. They create a barrier on top of your hair that can build up and just give the impression of soft and moisturized hair that goes away next time you wash your hair. Anyway, I think the main issue with these ingredients is not the ingredients themselves but how high in the ingredient list they are. That usually means the product is quite cheaply made. If they were, say, in the top ten I wouldn't buy that product.

If you need help translating something I see no problem if you post it here so me or someone else can help.

Bat
July 29th, 2020, 07:53 PM
This is interesting! I might have to try it out

Fimu
July 30th, 2020, 12:06 AM
Skala is a really nice cheap brand that gets most of its ingredients from brazil itself, that's why it's so cheap there. Same with Kanechom and many other Brazilian brands but skala is the oldest one in the Brazilian market and has a HUGE variety of products. "Salon line", "lola" and "seda" are other brands that have been recommended to me.

Keep in mind that what I know mostly comes from Brazilian friends, I'm not Brazilian myself but I understand some Portuguese. That said, I have seen a lot of people co-washing but they kind of encourage you to find your scalp "dryness". If you have a greasy to normal scalp you can use shampoo normally, with normal to dry I've seen a lot of people mixing a small amount of shampoo with their conditioner as a sort of DYI cowash conditioner, and if you have dry to very dry scalp use only conditioner.

Low poo/ no poo is a thing there but I've seen people a lot more concerned with petroleum derivates than with silicones.

The problem with petrolatum, liquid paraffin and mineral oils is that they act pretty much like silicones. They create a barrier on top of your hair that can build up and just give the impression of soft and moisturized hair that goes away next time you wash your hair. Anyway, I think the main issue with these ingredients is not the ingredients themselves but how high in the ingredient list they are. That usually means the product is quite cheaply made. If they were, say, in the top ten I wouldn't buy that product.

Ah that makes sense why their products are affordable! :) Is it correct that most Skala products are free of both silicones and petrolatum?

I don't have Brazilian friends, but it's hard to get the products anyway with the current situation. The Novex products are the only options for me atm.

I probably have a normal to dry scalp, but I'm trying out diluted SLES shampoo and recently bought a low-poo.

True, the petrolatum/mineral oil are as "non-CG" as silicones, but I need the big guns to detangle my hair. Most Novex masks have petrolatum in the top 5 ingredients. What are better alternatives? I don't like polyquats and products with shea butter in the top 5 ingredients.

CuteCrow
August 3rd, 2020, 04:59 PM
I finished my first successful schedule (to be honest I've been trying it on and off for a couple of years but never finished a whole month) and wrote my impressions on my blog here, but here's a summary:

My final thoughts are that I'll probably keep following it but very loosely. I won't be doing any protein treatments anytime soon or I'll dilute them in a more hydrating conditioner. I want to stretch my washes to probably twice a week and I'll alternate between moisture and nutrition, with pre-poo oiling for nutrition days

This is interesting! I might have to try it out

You should definitely try it! I think it's an easy way to start taking better care out complicating it too much. And if you only use comertial masks it's even easier.
Also, the app mentioned above follows the 12 wash days order and is really useful if you don't want to try to guess what your hair needs. Keep in mind it's somewhat badly translated but good enough for the test and reminders.

Ah that makes sense why their products are affordable! :) Is it correct that most Skala products are free of both silicones and petrolatum?

I don't have Brazilian friends, but it's hard to get the products anyway with the current situation. The Novex products are the only options for me atm.

I probably have a normal to dry scalp, but I'm trying out diluted SLES shampoo and recently bought a low-poo.

True, the petrolatum/mineral oil are as "non-CG" as silicones, but I need the big guns to detangle my hair. Most Novex masks have petrolatum in the top 5 ingredients. What are better alternatives? I don't like polyquats and products with shea butter in the top 5 ingredients.

Yes! I think all skala products are silicone and petrolatum free (maybe some old products are not but they usually go with the trends). If you can find divino potão it's like sunshine made conditioner. You can always try novex products as it seems they are the only available to you, most of "my curls/meus cachos" line don't contain petrolatum or silicones but shea butter is quite high on the list. So I'm not so sure what to suggest, most products without petrolatum/mineral oils/liquid parafin have it written on the outside of the bottle "sem petrolatos"

CuteCrow
August 3rd, 2020, 06:44 PM
Just found these pages. They are in Portuguese but it's about products available in portugal so it's useful for those in Europe and probably in other parts of the world as well.
Cronograma capilar portugal (https://cronogramacapilarpt.pt/mascaras/) and here's Google translated (https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcronogramacapilarpt.pt%2Fmascaras% 2F)
Basic hair schedule of the poors (https://illusionarypleasure.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/cronograma-capilar-basico-dos-pobres/) :lol: and Google translated (https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=&sl=pt&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fillusionarypleasure.wordpress.com% 2F2018%2F05%2F07%2Fcronograma-capilar-basico-dos-pobres%2F)

I don't know if she has been suggested here before but she's based in the UK and some of her page is translated. She usually reviews products giving information on how they fit the hair schedule
Miss Curly (https://misscurly.net/en/sugestao-de-cronograma-capilar/)

Fimu
August 4th, 2020, 01:24 AM
Just found these pages. They are in Portuguese but it's about products available in portugal so it's useful for those in Europe and probably in other parts of the world as well.
Cronograma capilar portugal (https://cronogramacapilarpt.pt/mascaras/) and here's Google translated (https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcronogramacapilarpt.pt%2Fmascaras% 2F)
Basic hair schedule of the poors (https://illusionarypleasure.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/cronograma-capilar-basico-dos-pobres/) :lol: and Google translated (https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=&sl=pt&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fillusionarypleasure.wordpress.com% 2F2018%2F05%2F07%2Fcronograma-capilar-basico-dos-pobres%2F)

I don't know if she has been suggested here before but she's based in the UK and some of her page is translated. She usually reviews products giving information on how they fit the hair schedule
Miss Curly (https://misscurly.net/en/sugestao-de-cronograma-capilar/)

Thank you for the links! I will look further whether it's possible to get Skala.

Are you fully cone-free and MO-free or do you use cones sometimes?

Bat
August 4th, 2020, 03:37 AM
You should definitely try it! I think it's an easy way to start taking better care out complicating it too much. And if you only use commercial masks it's even easier.
Also, the app mentioned above follows the 12 wash days order and is really useful if you don't want to try to guess what your hair needs. Keep in mind it's somewhat badly translated but good enough for the test and reminders.

I did the test thing and left my straind floating in water for 5 minutes, it didn't sink even a little so I'm guessing it means i need moisture, I know it isn't an exact science but it is enough of an idea of what I need to use

Bat
August 4th, 2020, 05:02 AM
I did the test thing and left my straind floating in water for 5 minutes, it didn't sink even a little so I'm guessing it means i need moisture, I know it isn't an exact science but it is enough of an idea of what I need to use

gives me an excuse to use my hair foods since pretty much all of them are for hydrating hair. got all of them except aloe vera but i'll get that one soon

CuteCrow
August 4th, 2020, 06:39 PM
Thank you for the links! I will look further whether it's possible to get Skala.

Are you fully cone-free and MO-free or do you use cones sometimes?

I use sulphates but no silicones because no matter what they build up in my hair. I don't care much about MO or petrolatum but most silicone free products tend to be MO free too and as I said above if I use anything that contains them I try to find products where they are not too high in the ingredient list. But right now I'm not using any Brazilian products as they are hard to come by where I live too.

gives me an excuse to use my hair foods since pretty much all of them are for hydrating hair. got all of them except aloe vera but i'll get that one soon

The float test is sort of inaccurate, but the Science-y hair blog (https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html)has some tips and a more accurate way to do it.
If you go by the app it straight out tells you what you need each day. But if you want to do it yourself I guess as your hair is dyed it would fit the general schedule for "muito danificados/heavily damage" hair, even if you don't feel like its heavily damaged that schedule fits most people with dyed hair. That said, everyone benefits from moisture, so give some use to those garnier masks ;)

https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/71249396_1648703248593417_1175625023856050176_o.jp g?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=IOWgvHT-wBkAX_Pnadg&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-1.fna&oh=ed931cb9e1be2fbf1a98df9e492734e7&oe=5F510BD0

Bat
August 5th, 2020, 06:39 AM
I'll try it the extreme damaged one since it does have extra reconstruction and means i can use my least fave mask more (papaya) than if i used the Hydration method

CuteCrow
August 5th, 2020, 07:47 PM
I'll try it the extreme damaged one since it does have extra reconstruction and means i can use my least fave mask more (papaya) than if i used the Hydration method

Oh, the papaya mask is not really a reconstruction mask. Reconstruction/repair means using proteins and none of the garnier masks contain any proteins.
https://misscurly.net/en/fructis-hair-food-garnier/ This page has all the hair food masks in order from the most hydrating to the most nourishing. And the papaya mask is right in the middle, so you could use it either for hydration or nutrition days, there you have an excuse to use it more often ;)

Bat
August 5th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Oh, the papaya mask is not really a reconstruction mask. Reconstruction/repair means using proteins and none of the garnier masks contain any proteins.
https://misscurly.net/en/fructis-hair-food-garnier/ This page has all the hair food masks in order from the most hydrating to the most nourishing. And the papaya mask is right in the middle, so you could use it either for hydration or nutrition days, there you have an excuse to use it more often ;)

Oooh thank you the only one I don't own is aloe vera so I'll have to get that one

Belgrade Beauty
August 17th, 2020, 07:32 AM
I can't seem to get a hang of it. I have dry ends, but the rest of my hair isn't dry. Since my hair is fine,ii, when I use the hydration mask, it gets oily the very next day. The nourishing one with oil makes her heavier than it usually is which is great for me, it falls nicely down my back. Never tried the protein, and don't know if I should, I am super spooked of additionally drying it out. Any tips? I definitely do need the deep treatments of some sort, cause with only shampoo and conditioner, ends are tangle and dry almost immediately. ROO helped for awhile,now it's not working...

Ylva
August 17th, 2020, 08:13 AM
I can't seem to get a hang of it. I have dry ends, but the rest of my hair isn't dry. Since my hair is fine,ii, when I use the hydration mask, it gets oily the very next day. The nourishing one with oil makes her heavier than it usually is which is great for me, it falls nicely down my back. Never tried the protein, and don't know if I should, I am super spooked of additionally drying it out. Any tips? I definitely do need the deep treatments of some sort, cause with only shampoo and conditioner, ends are tangle and dry almost immediately. ROO helped for awhile,now it's not working...

If something stops working, it's usually a sign of buildup. Have you clarified your hair recently?

CuteCrow
August 17th, 2020, 08:45 AM

Remember this method was created for curly hair. Curly hair has the characteristic that sebum doesn't travel too far down the hair shaft. You seem to have only dry ends so I would apply any conditioner/mask just on the ends and work it upwards but stop at about neck/shoulder length.

About the schedule, If you follow it day by day and unless your hair is damaged by dyes or heat, you should have done at least 11 hydrating/nourishing mask before trying a reconstruction mask. That would bring balance and shouldn't dry your hair too much.

You also could try other things apart from this, it seems like CWC (with the first C applied just at the very ends) or oiling your ends daily could work for your hair. Also as Ylva said it could be build up and you should try clarifying.

Bat
August 17th, 2020, 09:34 AM
Here I was thinking it's for all hair this schedule thing not just curls

Belgrade Beauty
August 17th, 2020, 11:34 AM
Same here. :confused:

Remember this method was created for curly hair. Curly hair has the characteristic that sebum doesn't travel too far down the hair shaft. You seem to have only dry ends so I would apply any conditioner/mask just on the ends and work it upwards but stop at about neck/shoulder length.

About the schedule, If you follow it day by day and unless your hair is damaged by dyes or heat, you should have done at least 11 hydrating/nourishing mask before trying a reconstruction mask. That would bring balance and shouldn't dry your hair too much.

You also could try other things apart from this, it seems like CWC (with the first C applied just at the very ends) or oiling your ends daily could work for your hair. Also as Ylva said it could be build up and you should try clarifying.
It's not 'that' damaged, it has some year old dye in it, but since i don't use heat on it, it's not fried. It's just...Fine with dry and tangley ends. :( Ha, never knew it was for curly hair. :O But since I have never deep treated it ever, I thought maybe that's her problem, she doesn't have enough masks that hydrate. I used to put oil on it weekly. Than with this, I find out , that is nourish,not hydrate. Dumb me.

If something stops working, it's usually a sign of buildup. Have you clarified your hair recently?

That's my problem, I didn't and still can't find an 'appropriate' claryifying shampoo. I have the pantene aqua and micellar ones. All the others mentioned here on lhc or on google list of 'claryfing shampoos' are not available here in any supermarket or a drug store for than matter.

Bat
August 17th, 2020, 07:29 PM
I use Joico k-pak clarifying shampoo it works for me, but I got mine from the internet

CuteCrow
August 17th, 2020, 07:33 PM

Same here. :confused:

I think I expressed myself wrong. I didn't mean it was JUST for curly hair, but it was created by the Brazilian curly community. It can work for everyone but it had in mind the problems of curly hair, so it'll work best if you have normal/dry hair or hair that its oily only on your scalp with dry lengths.

The basis of this method is that you need to keep a moisture/oils/protein balance (as opposed to moisture-protein only that the english world follows the most) and that depending on the current state of your hair you might need more of one or the others but it goes by the foundation that all hair loves moisture over anything else.

It's not 'that' damaged, it has some year old dye in it, but since i don't use heat on it, it's not fried. It's just...Fine with dry and tangley ends. :( Ha, never knew it was for curly hair. :O But since I have never deep treated it ever, I thought maybe that's her problem, she doesn't have enough masks that hydrate. I used to put oil on it weekly. Than with this, I find out , that is nourish,not hydrate. Dumb me.

Oh, your hair definitely sounds like it needs some extra moisture. Try CWC with a moisturising conditioner on your ends so you can protect them from the shampoo, but I'd do that after clarifying. I think all that oil might have had buildup on your ends.
Oiling dry ends is better done on wet hair or over a leave-in conditioner, that way you use the oil to "seal" the moisture in.

That's my problem, I didn't and still can't find an 'appropriate' claryifying shampoo. I have the pantene aqua and micellar ones. All the others mentioned here on lhc or on google list of 'claryfing shampoos' are not available here in any supermarket or a drug store for than matter.

Claryfing is any shampoo that contains sulphates. If you have hard water you might benefit from a vinegar rinse. If you have hard water and already use a sulphate shampoo what you need is a chelating shampoo, that is a shampoo that is capable of removing the mineral deposits that hard water leaves behind. For a chelating shampoo, look for one with ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid or EDTA on the ingredient list. You should use a chelating shampoo every 4-6 weeks, depending on how often you wash your hair.

Bat
August 17th, 2020, 07:37 PM
So chelating is more stripping of your hair than clarifying?

CuteCrow
August 17th, 2020, 08:03 PM
So chelating is more stripping of your hair than clarifying?

Short answer, yes. But it also depends on what you want to achieve, clarifying is mostly done to remove buildup from products, chelating for removing mineral buildup or chemicals like chlorine (if you dye your hair it can strip your dye quite fast).

Bat
August 18th, 2020, 03:07 AM
Short answer, yes. But it also depends on what you want to achieve, clarifying is mostly done to remove buildup from products, chelating for removing mineral buildup or chemicals like chlorine (if you dye your hair it can strip your dye quite fast).

Note to self just keep with. Bi weekly clarify
Thanks for that

ynne
August 18th, 2020, 07:50 PM
I'm tempted because my washing has been all about moisture. I don't think I have products/ingredients for all the steps at the moment, so I'll have to look into that. It looks like I can use my mask or oils for nutrition and hydration (though the mask is kind of in the middle? it may be better to get something more moisturizing in future, and use oils for the nourishment steps?), but I have nothing for repair. :/

Does it mean the mask doesn't get washed out fully? Or is it, along with the conditioner, fully rinsed out? If you happen to know. :)

This is really interesting – I had this exact concern with mineral oil, but I've seen a lot of people on LHC recommend it so I thought my gut feeling about it had to be wrong.

CuteCrow
August 19th, 2020, 08:17 PM
I'm tempted because my washing has been all about moisture. I don't think I have products/ingredients for all the steps at the moment, so I'll have to look into that. It looks like I can use my mask or oils for nutrition and hydration (though the mask is kind of in the middle? it may be better to get something more moisturizing in future, and use oils for the nourishment steps?), but I have nothing for repair. :/

You should try it! I think it is a good place to start about haircare. In the end it's just about switching hair masks.

Remember you can always make a mask you already have more moisturising/nourishing adding ingredients you have at home, for example

Moisture:
- Aloe
- Honey
- Vegetable milks
- Corn or potato starch (corn flour in the UK)

Nourishment:
- Pretty much any oil
- single/double cream
- mayoneise

I would start using a ratio of:
2 tbsp of conditioner/mask
1 tbsp home ingredient

But depending on how dry your hair is you can go up to 2tbsp conditioner/3 tbsp home ingredient.

For repair is better to buy products that already contain protein in them, as most home proteins are way too big to penetrate the hair shaft.

Does it mean the mask doesn't get washed out fully? Or is it, along with the conditioner, fully rinsed out? If you happen to know. :)

The mask gets washed out. You wash your hair with shampoo, put the mask on, leave it for 5-20 min, wash it out, apply conditioner, most wash it out fully others like to leave some, then apply a leave-in or curling cream.

That's pretty much the average Brazilian wash routine.

This is really interesting – I had this exact concern with mineral oil, but I've seen a lot of people on LHC recommend it so I thought my gut feeling about it had to be wrong.

I guess it's the same as with silicones. Some like the feeling it leaves on their hair and how it of protects it against damage? If that's what you like then go with it. :)

ynne
August 19th, 2020, 10:21 PM
Thank you so much for the thorough answer, CuteCrow! I never tried adding stuff to bought masks, though I sometimes layer product or tried completely homemade mixes, that's a good tip. I'll test it next time – at least for the nourishment with oils as the moisture ingredients might be harder for me to obtain right now (or too pricy for hair purposes when it comes to honey). :)

Ah, I was wondering about one more thing; for the frequency of washing. I know the default was built around 3 washes a week, and I've seen your modified version for 1x week which might apply to me most of the time. Do you think it would make sense for 2 washes a week to be: hydration - hydration // hydration - nutrition // hydration - hydration // hydration - repair?

CuteCrow
August 20th, 2020, 05:22 AM
Oh, as far as I've seen in Brazil a lot of people do it like that. Very rarely have I seen someone doing a homemade mask without adding a commercial mask in it. Let us know how it goes for you :)

for the frequency of washing. I know the default was built around 3 washes a week, and I've seen your modified version for 1x week which might apply to me most of the time. Do you think it would make sense for 2 washes a week to be: hydration - hydration // hydration - nutrition // hydration - hydration // hydration - repair?

The original method follows 12 wash days, you can do it either way, skip masks and use the "main" ones of each week or stretch the wash days to accommodate your current wash routine. I'm doing the latter with 2 washes a week right now and my capillary schedule is the one for "healthy hair" in the last picture I poster, overall it looks as follows:

Week 1: Hydration/Hydration, Week 2: Nutrition/hydration, Week 3: Nutrition/hydration
Week 4: Hydration/Hydration, Week 5: Nutrition/hydration, Week 6: Nutrition/reconstruction

cubancurlie
August 21st, 2020, 01:50 PM
Hi all,
So I've already completed a month of the capillary schedule and I feel like I should write a kind of cautionary note to say please, above all, listen to your gut and keep in mind your moisture/protein balance because I made some mistakes with the schedule that were easily avoidable. I hope this can also be of help especially for those with similar hair types to mine - I'm a high porosity, fine 3a curly and I've basically ended up with moisture overload that’s proving difficult to correct.
I realise now that there's a fine line between masking the hair and doing a deep conditioning treatment; my mistake was to leave the hydrating and nutrition masks, which was the bulk of my capillary schedule, on my hair for far too long (30 mins +) with a plastic cap on. Doing this twice a week was just too much for my hair. If I’d taken a moment to think about my protein/moisture balance, I would have adjusted the schedule to better suit what my hair needed i.e lots of protein and have left the masks on for 5-10 mins max.
I did the schedule for damaged hair which was recommended by the app, as I have bleached my hair twice over the last year and then after the first wash, I had permanent colour put over the blonde. The damaged schedule includes one reconstructive step at the end of the month, and I washed my hair twice a week, and focused more on hydration and nutrition masks.

I use sulfate shampoos everytime I wash my hair, so I know it’s not build up. Last week, I did an aphogee protein treatment and didn’t use the conditioner- the difference was incredible as soon as I washed and styled my hair, I finally had my ringlets back. But after another wash, my hair was back to being limper than usual, weighed down and wavy, if slightly improved due to the treatment. So I’m thinking of doing the treatment again sometime next week, because it really helped.

So I don’t want to completely disparage the schedule, the first two washes actually made a really good difference as at the time my hair definitely needed the hydration. Keeping the masking time to ten mins max, thus replacing my usual one deep condition per week, and adjusting the schedule for more protein/reconstruction I think would have made the outcome way different.

ynne
August 22nd, 2020, 08:03 PM
Thanks again for the tips, I just tried that order of products (shampoo > mask > conditioner) and it turned out okay, so after I get something for the repair step I'll try it properly!

Bat
August 22nd, 2020, 08:11 PM
I made a little spread sheet for mine and added an extra step called "Treatments" (hot oil stuff in various oils I own) and a once a month clarify

basically I'm thinking of not buying shampoo or conditioner anymore, just hair mask, oil and the occasional clarify i've basically been doing that a while and I think my hair likes it

baanoo
August 23rd, 2020, 05:37 AM
CuteCrow, just wanted to poke my nose in and say that this was such a clear & helpful post. :thanks:

... The basis of this method is that you need to keep a moisture/oils/protein balance (as opposed to moisture-protein only that the english world follows the most) and that depending on the current state of your hair you might need more of one or the others but it goes by the foundation that all hair loves moisture over anything else. ...

Siv
August 23rd, 2020, 12:29 PM
The basis of this method is that you need to keep a moisture/oils/protein balance (as opposed to moisture-protein only that the english world follows the most) and that depending on the current state of your hair you might need more of one or the others but it goes by the foundation that all hair loves moisture over anything else.

CuteCrow, just wanted to poke my nose in and say that this was such a clear & helpful post. :thanks:

I've thought of oils (and silicones) as occlusives that "trap" moisture into the hair and provide slip, so humectants that "draw in" the moisture would ideally be used with them (ie humectants to draw in the moisture and occlusives to trap it there). But this method separate occlusives and humectants into different days? Does anyone know the purpose of this? Or did I get the whole humectant vs occlusive thing wrong?

CuteCrow
September 10th, 2020, 05:14 AM
Hi all,
So I've already completed a month of the capillary schedule and I feel like I should write a kind of cautionary note to say please, above all, listen to your gut and keep in mind your moisture/protein balance because I made some mistakes with the schedule that were easily avoidable. I hope this can also be of help especially for those with similar hair types to mine - I'm a high porosity, fine 3a curly and I've basically ended up with moisture overload that’s proving difficult to correct.

Oh, I'm so sad to hear the the hair schedule made your hair worse. I definitely agree that you have to follow what your hair tells you instead of blindly following the schedule and as you said, if your hair is chemically damaged it is a bad idea to mask for more than 20-30 min. If your hair is heavily damaged you should probably do at least two reconstruction masks in a month to help the hair to regain protein.

Thanks again for the tips, I just tried that order of products (shampoo > mask > conditioner) and it turned out okay, so after I get something for the repair step I'll try it properly!

I recently started doing WMC too, with the capillary schedule I was always cautious about overmoisturising my hair, but I feel like my hair likes the extra moisture from the second conditioner. I hope the hair schedule works for you :)

I made a little spread sheet for mine and added an extra step called "Treatments" (hot oil stuff in various oils I own) and a once a month clarify

basically I'm thinking of not buying shampoo or conditioner anymore, just hair mask, oil and the occasional clarify i've basically been doing that a while and I think my hair likes it

Actually that sounds really smart! Can you show me how you did your spread sheet? I've thought about doing one for myself before but never found the right template

Aww, thank you! :flower:

I've thought of oils (and silicones) as occlusives that "trap" moisture into the hair and provide slip, so humectants that "draw in" the moisture would ideally be used with them (ie humectants to draw in the moisture and occlusives to trap it there). But this method separate occlusives and humectants into different days? Does anyone know the purpose of this? Or did I get the whole humectant vs occlusive thing wrong?

Well, the schedule is only about masks and not about other treatments or things you may put on your hair beside that. Also, the main goal is to help your hair to restore its natural "balance" instead of adding anything. Besides that, most masks contain both moisturising and nourishing ingredients, when we say a mask is one or the other is because it's heavier in one of them (or you add ingredients to make it heavier) but it still contains ingredients from the other category. The only exceptions are protein/reconstruction masks that either have protein or don't.

As far as I understand it the occlusive and humectant talk is directed towards the things you leave in your hair with the aim of adding and keeping moisture inside of your hair, so after washing your hair (and therefore after your hair schedule) you layer a humectant like water or a leave-in conditioner and over that a layer of an occlusive like oil. But I've seen a lot of people here who only use one or the other so... :confused: I suppose you must use what works for your hair

____
On a side note seeing there's still so many questions about this I've been working on a sort of FAQ but I'm not sure if it'd be better to post it here or in a new thread as it would get lost quickly in the pages but it don't want to create a new thread seeing this one is kind of the "official" one.

knobbly
October 14th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Reviving this thread a bit to say that I’m going to follow the schedule I got from thehairroutine dot com for the next 12 weeks (I wash weekly and I’m not going to wash more frequently unless I need it but that’s unlikely.)

Since my hair is low/med porosity and mostly virgin/not damaged, most of my treatments are Moisture, which is how I do things anyway. I wash every Sunday.
10/18 M
10/25 N
11/1 M
11/8 M
11/15 M
11/22 N
11/29 M
12/6 N
12/13 M
12/20 M
12/27 N
1/3 R

So there you go, only one Reconstruction treatment, and that not until the new year. :shocked:

I figure I’ll do SMTs most often for Moisture, with some DIY masks from OrganicallyAnna on YT sprinkled in for Nutrition. I also want to try the chocolate mask recipe she has at some point, that’s a Moisture mask.

I’ll report back to the thread in a few weeks to let you all know how it’s going!

queenbee1
October 14th, 2020, 10:28 PM
Ive also been following a capillary schedule for a month now. It was a trial but I think i'll stick w it now that i have already bought a mask.

I have damaged hair so this was my schedule:
74: hydration
75: oil
76: reconstruction
77: oil
78: hydration
79: oil
80: hydration
81: oil
82: reconstruction mask (next wash)
83: hydration
84: hydration
85: oil
The numbers represent the number of hours after which i wash hair. Im stretching washes. :P
I have replaced nutrition w plain old mustard oil.
I use the Argan oil reconstruction mask and for moisture i use SMTs. Between this and Kimberlilys detangling spray i dont need to use conditioner. Although I will use my protein conditioner when i wash after reconstruction to finish this stash. I may or may not buy a moisture mask :P

Bat
December 27th, 2020, 12:54 AM
Oh, I'm so sad to hear the the hair schedule made your hair worse. I definitely agree that you have to follow what your hair tells you instead of blindly following the schedule and as you said, if your hair is chemically damaged it is a bad idea to mask for more than 20-30 min. If your hair is heavily damaged you should probably do at least two reconstruction masks in a month to help the hair to regain protein.

I recently started doing WMC too, with the capillary schedule I was always cautious about overmoisturising my hair, but I feel like my hair likes the extra moisture from the second conditioner. I hope the hair schedule works for you :)

Actually that sounds really smart! Can you show me how you did your spread sheet? I've thought about doing one for myself before but never found the right template

Aww, thank you! :flower:

Well, the schedule is only about masks and not about other treatments or things you may put on your hair beside that. Also, the main goal is to help your hair to restore its natural "balance" instead of adding anything. Besides that, most masks contain both moisturising and nourishing ingredients, when we say a mask is one or the other is because it's heavier in one of them (or you add ingredients to make it heavier) but it still contains ingredients from the other category. The only exceptions are protein/reconstruction masks that either have protein or don't.

As far as I understand it the occlusive and humectant talk is directed towards the things you leave in your hair with the aim of adding and keeping moisture inside of your hair, so after washing your hair (and therefore after your hair schedule) you layer a humectant like water or a leave-in conditioner and over that a layer of an occlusive like oil. But I've seen a lot of people here who only use one or the other so... :confused: I suppose you must use what works for your hair

____
On a side note seeing there's still so many questions about this I've been working on a sort of FAQ but I'm not sure if it'd be better to post it here or in a new thread as it would get lost quickly in the pages but it don't want to create a new thread seeing this one is kind of the "official" one.

I just realised I never showed you my spreadsheet sorry about that this slipped my mind! I'll check my computer later to see if I still have it

knobbly
January 10th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Reviving this thread a bit to say that I’m going to follow the schedule I got from thehairroutine dot com for the next 12 weeks (I wash weekly and I’m not going to wash more frequently unless I need it but that’s unlikely.)

Since my hair is low/med porosity and mostly virgin/not damaged, most of my treatments are Moisture, which is how I do things anyway. I wash every Sunday.
10/18 M
10/25 N
11/1 M
11/8 M
11/15 M
11/22 N
11/29 M
12/6 N
12/13 M
12/20 M
12/27 N
1/3 R

So there you go, only one Reconstruction treatment, and that not until the new year. :shocked:

I figure I’ll do SMTs most often for Moisture, with some DIY masks from OrganicallyAnna on YT sprinkled in for Nutrition. I also want to try the chocolate mask recipe she has at some point, that’s a Moisture mask.

I’ll report back to the thread in a few weeks to let you all know how it’s going!

Okay so that’s over!

I fell off the wagon towards the end since I moved in mid-December, but I still learned a lot from this experiment.

1. What is a nutrition treatment? I mean I’ve read the blog posts and watched the videos, but oil treatments do nothing for my hair that I can discern. I often have to wash twice to get the grease out and my hair feels normal, but not better, after the fact. I will say I’ve never tried washing oil treatment out with conditioner, maybe that works better, but as of now, what I’ve learned is that oiling my hair 24 hours or less before wash day does zilch, so I won’t do it in the future.

Especially since I’ve started using baby oil to seal moisture on wash day, I’ve stopped using other oils throughout the week as they aren’t necessary, adding more oil just seems superfluous.

2. Even during the winter, a treatment every wash day just isn’t necessary for my hair. I’ll stick to every other wash day (so twice a month) going forward.

3. SMTs are still the jam, and conditioning with heat works great for me and means I don’t have to leave the DC on for hours.

4. I did not try any of the DIY masks as I said I would lol. Oh well. I’m not sad about it.

That’s it! I don’t think I’m going to draw up a formal schedule anymore, but I wash with a sulfate shampoo every other week, and on the off weeks I wash with a sulfate-free solid shampoo and conditioner bar situation. The weeks I use sulfates will be my treatment weeks. All of my deep conditioning stuff I use currently is protein-free, but both bars I’m using every other week contain protein and my leave-ins have protein as well. I don’t seem to need anything more than that. Yay for simplicity!

pisinoe
January 10th, 2021, 08:08 PM
I was born in Brazil and speak Portuguese, so I'm glad that I have access to all the amazing original info that the great haircare enthusiasts and addicts over there share online.

Not a big fan of hydration here, as I like my hair frizz-free, but so far my favorite mask for that is Senscience Inner Restore Intensif. Haven't been truly convinced by anything else, but I'm still looking since I like to rotate.

Nutrition was the step I hated the most for the longest time, because this type of masks either does nothing or way too much for me. Hard to find a balance. Currently using up a lot of stuff I got here, but I think I have a better grasp of what works for me and doesn't. I'm currently using a looooot of nutrition masks in a row (I don't care about the given templates, I just go by what my hair needs) and we'll see what happens.

Protein masks are my favorite step, probably because Kerastase Thérapiste mask is the best stuff I've ever put in my hair and I want to use it every time but it's too good so I need to refrain myself. I alternate it with L'oréal Gold Quinoa. I bought Kérastase Chronologiste for nutrition but I think it fits here more, although not as good as my baby Thérapiste...

To my schedule I also rotate my shampoos, leave-ins and added a cuticle sealer (low pH sealer). And I rotate my masks between maintenance x deep treatment, in order not to overload my hair.

I've never had better hair in my life before.

Bat
January 10th, 2021, 08:59 PM
My hair is in need for TLC and I have a crap ton of products to use up, so I should try this again

CuteCrow
January 11th, 2021, 10:19 PM
1. What is a nutrition treatment? I mean I’ve read the blog posts and watched the videos, but oil treatments do nothing for my hair that I can discern. I often have to wash twice to get the grease out and my hair feels normal, but not better, after the fact. I will say I’ve never tried washing oil treatment out with conditioner, maybe that works better, but as of now, what I’ve learned is that oiling my hair 24 hours or less before wash day does zilch, so I won’t do it in the future.

I loved reading about your experience with this method! I think as you already use oils after every wash day you don't need nutrition that much as Nutrition masks are meant to bring the "oil" balance back to your hair. For nutrition I think everyone needs to experiment a little bit to see what their hair likes the most. I always recommend starting with commercial masks or deep conditioners that are heavy in oils, and from that start experimenting, a path I would recommend if you are just starting with DIY stuff is something as follows:

- Try commercial oil-heavy masks first.
- Add oil to your conditioner (don't add it to the tub but in a separate container) start with 1 tbsp of oil for each 4 tbsp of conditioner.
- Experiment with two or three different oils in the last recipe to see if your hair prefers one or the other (start with simple oils like olive and coconut).
- Try adding more oil, but I wouldn't try more than a half oil half conditioner mix (2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp conditioner), you might need to wash it off with more conditioner afterwards.
- Try pre-poo oil treatments, this is not for everyone, it's hard to find the correct balance for the amount of oil used. As before I'd start very slowly, depending on the length of your hair I'd probably keep it within 1 tsp to 1tbsp of oil.
- Use a rinse out oil (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191), some people even like this for every wash day.

Also, when I was doing the Schedule (I'm in another experiment right now) I didn't do a long treatment each wash day (from 20min to an hour) that I think is kind of a misconception about it, your don't need to leave your masks longer than 5 minutes eveery wash but it's suggested to do a long deep conditioner at least once a week or every two weeks.

I was born in Brazil and speak Portuguese, so I'm glad that I have access to all the amazing original info that the great haircare enthusiasts and addicts over there share online. [...]
To my schedule I also rotate my shampoos, leave-ins and added a cuticle sealer (low pH sealer). And I rotate my masks between maintenance x deep treatment, in order not to overload my hair.

So cool having someone who knows the method from the "inside". I agree with not following the schedule templates to the letter, they are meant to be a guide not a rule it's better to listen to your own hair needs.
I'm curious how you rotate your other products? Something like using all moisturizing products on your "moisture" days? I'm also quite interested in the cuticule sealer thing, I think I've heard about it before but never really read anything about it, what does it do for your hair?

My hair is in need for TLC and I have a crap ton of products to use up, so I should try this again

You should try it! I think I started my capillary schedule exactly for the same reason, to help me detash a bit :p

Siv
January 12th, 2021, 03:57 AM
I loved reading about your experience with this method! I think as you already use oils after every wash day you don't need nutrition that much as Nutrition masks are meant to bring the "oil" balance back to your hair. For nutrition I think everyone needs to experiment a little bit to see what their hair likes the most. I always recommend starting with commercial masks or deep conditioners that are heavy in oils, and from that start experimenting, a path I would recommend if you are just starting with DIY stuff is something as follows:

:scissors::scissors:

Oh my goodness I feel like such an idiot haha! I'm well aware of what the protein-moisture balance, ceramides, oils and silicones, etc. etc. do for our hair and the chemistry behind it... still couldn't figure out what the heck the nutrition part of the capillary schedule was supposed to do :doh: thanks for pointing out the obvious, I needed that haha :lol:

CuteCrow
January 12th, 2021, 05:05 AM
You're welcome! :D not a silly question at all, I think it's even one of those most frequently asked. I think a while ago I was writting a FAQ about the capillary schedule with my limited knowledge, I'm no expert on this topic. If I can find it I'll share it here :)

Bat
January 12th, 2021, 05:56 PM
Oh my goodness I feel like such an idiot haha! I'm well aware of what the protein-moisture balance, ceramides, oils and silicones, etc. etc. do for our hair and the chemistry behind it... still couldn't figure out what the heck the nutrition part of the capillary schedule was supposed to do :doh: thanks for pointing out the obvious, I needed that haha :lol:

I didn't Know either, if you are an idiot then so am I!

pisinoe
January 12th, 2021, 06:34 PM
So cool having someone who knows the method from the "inside". I agree with not following the schedule templates to the letter, they are meant to be a guide not a rule it's better to listen to your own hair needs.
I'm curious how you rotate your other products? Something like using all moisturizing products on your "moisture" days? I'm also quite interested in the cuticule sealer thing, I think I've heard about it before but never really read anything about it, what does it do for your hair?

Exactly! The schedule templates are helpful for beginners if you don't know how to recognize what your hair needs first though, but I completely disagree with the little amount of protein treatments they recommend. I do it at least once a week for the best benefits (unlike what it's said, protein won't break your hair, the overload will only make your hair super dry but that can be reversed quite fast with a bout of nutrition masks). Another interesting thing is that we don't really count raw ingredients (oils, butters) and mixes as part of the routine? That's only for pre-poo, and good commercial masks for the actual step. Oil treatments are also not part of the nutrition step for us, just pre-poo.

The porosity test has been debunked a long time ago. You have to observe your hair throughout the week and treat accordingly.

I don't really rotate my products based on moisture or hydration days, but by maintenance and deep treatment days. For example, I use my deep treatment protein mask along with the shampoo from the same line, followed by my best leave-in and oil as well to have the best treatment all over. When I'm using my maintenance (lower impact) masks, I also use my normal shampoo, and whatever leave-in I'm using up, but ideally I want to use only my favorite in the future. I wash my hair every other day though, and mask every time, so that's why I make this distinction.

I have two masks at least for each step, and then for shampoo it's a deep treatment one, one for hair loss, a clarifying one and another for scalp exfoliation. Leave-ins I really don't like protein-based ones or hydrating ones because they don't give me the results I want (frizz-free, soft sleek hair) so I really just go for a light nourishing defrizzer and an oil so I don't get any protein or oil overload.

A cuticle sealer is basically an acid treatment (not retexturizer) that will bring down the pH of your hair and seal your cuticle. This is very benefitial for those with high porosity hair, as it helps "sealing" all the products and treatment you've used into the hair. For example, my hair was very frizzy and I did a lot of treatments but I found that the results didn't last very long, as if they vanished from my hair after a while somehow. Using a cuticle sealer solved this problem completely for me, and now I have hair that is much softer, sleeker, shinier and manageable because of it and all the treatments I do aren't washed down the drain. This is especially helpful for those with bleched hair since their hair is very alkaline, and obviously a godsend for anyone with high porosity. (My favorite is Joico K Pak step 2).

pisinoe
January 12th, 2021, 06:43 PM
To clarify further what a nutrition mask is meant to do, I'm translating some general explanation for it from Brazil:

"The nutrition mask is an important item in a capillary schedule to replenish nutrients, lipids, vitamins and essential oils. Nutrition feeds the hair. Split ends, frizz and misaligned hair means lack of nutrition or a good moistening to recover the lost lipids. It delivers important nutrients to the innermost layers of hair such as mineral components and keratin - substances that make up the capillary mass and give strength and corpulence to the strands."

A lot of people swear by it because it leaves the hair aligned, frizz-free, shiny, thicker and obviously, less dry.

Siv
January 13th, 2021, 04:22 AM
Interesting description @pisinoe! Also I've never heard of cuticle sealers before, and can't find any others than the Joico one. Do you know of any others?

pisinoe
January 13th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Interesting description @pisinoe! Also I've never heard of cuticle sealers before, and can't find any others than the Joico one. Do you know of any others?

There's also the Redken Extreme Bleach Recovery Lamellar water and the Alfaparf Semi Di Lino Sublime Essential Oil . I still prefer the Joico one bc I bought a 1L tub for 30€ (on Allbeauty.com) and it spreads really well. There's also a brazilian one by a brand K.pro called pH Balancer but I doubt it's available overseas.

Siv
January 13th, 2021, 07:31 AM
There's also the Redken Extreme Bleach Recovery Lamellar water and the Alfaparf Semi Di Lino Sublime Essential Oil . I still prefer the Joico one bc I bought a 1L tub for 30€ (on Allbeauty.com) and it spreads really well. There's also a brazilian one by a brand K.pro called pH Balancer but I doubt it's available overseas.

Great, thank you! :D

BuddhaBelle
March 2nd, 2021, 04:14 AM
Can anyone reccomend some repair product uses? I didn't realise how easy my hair snaps and I've been having lots of fall out recently. I complete the quiz on The Hair Routine website and got my schedule.

I'm trying to not buy many products, so for the nourish/mostiure I'm keeping it simple using oils/shea butters, but I can't find much about natural/simple products for the repair... Perhaps some homemade mask or rinse I could make? :)

I've also been looking for products, could I use the Garnier Hair Mask for Damaged Hair (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garnier-Ultimate-Blends-Banana-Treatment/dp/B07L64MKRZ/ref=sr_1_9_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=vegan%2Bkeratin%2Bmask&qid=1614706718&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-9&th=1) as the repair?

Siv
March 2nd, 2021, 01:56 PM
Can anyone reccomend some repair product uses? I didn't realise how easy my hair snaps and I've been having lots of fall out recently. I complete the quiz on The Hair Routine website and got my schedule.

I'm trying to not buy many products, so for the nourish/mostiure I'm keeping it simple using oils/shea butters, but I can't find much about natural/simple products for the repair... Perhaps some homemade mask or rinse I could make? :)

I've also been looking for products, could I use the Garnier Hair Mask for Damaged Hair (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garnier-Ultimate-Blends-Banana-Treatment/dp/B07L64MKRZ/ref=sr_1_9_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=vegan%2Bkeratin%2Bmask&qid=1614706718&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-9&th=1) as the repair?

Hm not quite, it doesn't have any protein as far as I can see. I looked up a few similarly priced options on Superdrug that does have protein:

Shea Moisture Black Castor Oil Hair Mask (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/Shea-Moisture-Black-Castor-Oil-Hair-Mask-340ml/p/708421)
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/Shea-Moisture-Shea-Masque-326ml/p/708630)
L'Oreal Elvive Dream Lengths Mask (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/L%27Oreal-Elvive-Dream-Lengths-Mask-300ml/p/767696)
TRESemme Restructuring Deep Conditioning Treatment (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/TRESemme-Restructuring-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-500ml/p/427403)
TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Mask (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/TRESemm%C3%A9-Keratin-Smooth-Mask-300ml/p/72214)

Shea moisture doesn't have silicones but are a bit pricier than the other options

BuddhaBelle
March 3rd, 2021, 04:41 AM
Hm not quite, it doesn't have any protein as far as I can see. I looked up a few similarly priced options on Superdrug that does have protein:

Shea Moisture Black Castor Oil Hair Mask (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/Shea-Moisture-Black-Castor-Oil-Hair-Mask-340ml/p/708421)
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/Shea-Moisture-Shea-Masque-326ml/p/708630)
L'Oreal Elvive Dream Lengths Mask (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/L%27Oreal-Elvive-Dream-Lengths-Mask-300ml/p/767696)
TRESemme Restructuring Deep Conditioning Treatment (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/TRESemme-Restructuring-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-500ml/p/427403)
TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Mask (https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Treatments/Hair-Masks/TRESemm%C3%A9-Keratin-Smooth-Mask-300ml/p/72214)

Shea moisture doesn't have silicones but are a bit pricier than the other options

Thank you! I got the Shea Moisture castor oil hair mask. :)

Siv
March 3rd, 2021, 09:46 AM
Thank you! I got the Shea Moisture castor oil hair mask. :)

Hope it works out for you! I tried their Deep Treatment mask and it was great for my hair!

pisinoe
March 3rd, 2021, 04:43 PM
You can also buy liquid keratin and simply add it to your existing masks :)

poli
March 18th, 2021, 12:17 AM
I have been rotating my products for years, but this year I try to be more organized about it. I made a basic schedule for me - normal porosity, fine hair, oily scalp, dry ends.
I figured the "nutrition" part must be the base cause my hair loves oils and butters and cones :) Everything conditioning, with slip and adding elasticity really.

1st week nutrition - protein- hydration
2nd and 3rd week nutrition- hydration - nutrition
4th week protein - nutrition - hydration

So far it's been over a month and I'm really pleased - hair is in great condition, it doesn't dry out at night and it rarely becomes too greasy. I have some splits but nothing too bad.

JasminxCat
March 18th, 2021, 01:17 AM

Sorry for late reply but if you're still searching, Nexxus Keraphix was my best friend after years of abusing and neglecting my hair, not saying you do! But after using it, my hair was less prone to breakage. I used it for 1 year straight and have recently changed since I no longer have breakage. It's not very natural but it definitely helps repair brittle hair and I remember noticing a difference after a week of use. Look into it, you might like it

Gmcfashionista
September 3rd, 2022, 07:57 AM
I want to start the capillary schedule but I want to do it with pharmacy/Walmart low budget hair mask first so if anyone can give recommendations like Shea moisture masks that would be great or refer me to a thread that shares products for the capillary schedule.
Thank you!

lapushka
September 3rd, 2022, 08:49 AM
I want to start the capillary schedule but I want to do it with pharmacy/Walmart low budget hair mask first so if anyone can give recommendations like Shea moisture masks that would be great or refer me to a thread that shares products for the capillary schedule.
Thank you!

Don't think we have a thread like that with products for the capillary schedule; you could make one. Why not? :D The more the merrier, I say!

Butterfly Blue
September 26th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Hello, I wanted to post because I can't think of "anyone" in my life who would want to hair about this detailed hair journey. I hope you guys will!

I have been trying to get started with the Capillary Schedule. The quiz I took said to do the Hydration Schedule. I used Novex Brand Reconstruction first, and it made my hair feel soft. Then I used their Aloe Hydration masked. I was shocked! My hair was so tangled, frizzy, and had no slip. So I messaged them. I told them the Aloe mask didn't provide me with slip, which made it so I had to be very careful when combing it out afterwards, so my hair wouldn't break. I found their response very helpful and wanted to share.

First of all they suggested the Reconstruction(protein) schedule. In Portuguese it is called Cableo Muito Danificado "Very Damaged Hair" The schedule is this:

Week 1: Hydration Nutrition Reconstruction
Week 2: Nutrition Hydration Nutrition
Week 3: Hydration Nutrition Reconstruction
Week 4: Hydration Hydration Nutrition

I was surprised because I have always felt my hair didn't like protein. I questioned them about it and this was their response: "The Hydration and Nutrition of you hair will not show if the hair is damaged or breaks easily. These are the recommendations to give strength to the hair."

They suggested Novex Brazilian Keratin shampoo...alternated with your current shampoo every other wash $9.99
Novex Power Max Hyaluronic Harmonization conditioner and mask $9.99 plus $16.99...and then finish up with
Novex Brazilian keratin recharge Tube Leave- in $9.99

For me, the prices seem reasonable. Maybe I can tweak the products to less expensive or homemade ones when I get used the schedule (and if it works).

Also, I am hopeful because I just never seem to get a good routine down. Each Capillary Schedule is for one month, so I will be interested to see what I think of all this at the end of October

Butterfly Blue
October 23rd, 2022, 03:26 PM
It's been a month of doing the Capillary Hair Schedule and I love it. My hair is healthier, and I will continue to do this routine.

angel-baby
October 25th, 2022, 05:29 PM
I'm excited to see this here!! I follow a Scottish girl on Instagram who does capillary schedule, but I didn't really understand what it was since most of the info is in Portuguese.
I do something kind of similar; there are 3 different Kerastase masks that I cycle through, but without any rhyme or reason. I like the idea of using them on more of a schedule. Last time I saw my hairdresser she said my hair needs moisture, so I guess I'll build my routine around mostly hydration/nutrition.