PDA

View Full Version : Getting your hair "Done"

Michiru
January 10th, 2019, 11:33 AM
I was thinking about how I remember hearing about women getting their hair 'done' every week in the 50s (whether that's true of not) and that made me think. If you could go to a salon and have you hair put into a nice updo (and yes I'm assuming we all have the income that we don't :rolleyes:) every few weeks or so, would you? Then you just wrap your hair at night and wash it every week, week and a half. I think I would. That would be worth going to the salon for. There are a lot of buns I'd like to try and my arms just get to tired to do it myself. Anyway, that's my fantasy.

neko_kawaii
January 10th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I had a lovely scalp massage when a stylist washed my hair once before a trim. I'd go once a week just for that provided time and money were not an issue and I liked talking to the stylist.

blackgothicdoll
January 10th, 2019, 11:53 AM
That's what we used to do back when I was younger. I don't know how my mom afforded it, but if I'm remembering right, she would do it mainly for my hair because she hated having to do my hair and her own hair (my sisters had moved out by then), it was thicker than all of my sisters'. We would go for a silk wrap, basically get it washed, set on rollers, then wrapped under a dryer. It would come out silky straight. I think we did this every two weeks for some bit of time. Yes, hair always looked wonderful, but my hair was so short because of all of the heat and grease and tools they would use. Sometimes they would do cute stuff like flat-twisted styles, but honestly it was a pain stressing about having to make whatever they did last two weeks. And if I wanted to wash it early, or got caught in the rain, I would hear it from mom after that!

So in short, I'd rather just do my own hair. :p

I wonder how salons were back in the 50s, but I think most black salons haven't changed much at all. Now, natural hair salons are a huge thing, and braiding salons as well, but they are extremely expensive. You'd be lucky to walk into a black salon at random and not see a tub of relaxer and a hot comb.

HaMalka
January 10th, 2019, 12:40 PM
I get my hair done in a fancy braided style that I cannot do myself once a year. I get my hair done on Sunday than take it down and wash it on Friday. I cannot leave it in any longer than that as my scalp starts to itch. When I get my hair done for an event I usually go with a long lasting style that I can keep in for the week. After taking my hair down my scalp usually hurts and is rather tangled from the fiddly things done to it. It also takes a rather long time due to the amount of hair I have. In addition I enjoy being able to switch around my hairstyles at my whim. I would not want to be stuck with the inconvenience and rigidity of getting my hair done regularly but I like it as an occasional treat.

Cg
January 10th, 2019, 01:19 PM
It's true. My mother dragged me with her to her weekly appointment.

It was torture. Loud and hot by the dryers, cold and drafty elsewhere, and permeating throughout were the most vile, noxious fumes. Add incessant, inane, high-decibel blather.

Women went in as bubbleheads and came out looking no different. But they always left knowing who was having marital troubles, whose children were failing in school, and other information crucial to their lives.

It may not surprise you that I wouldn't go to a salon now even at gunpoint.

spidermom
January 10th, 2019, 01:20 PM
No, I wouldn't.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 10th, 2019, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't go.
My mother used to go every week religiously, her hair would be washed, dried, combed/backcombed to death, put up in a beehive - type updo with curls at the back and drenched in hairspray. She would sleep with it wrapped in a silk scarf, and it would stay that way until her next visit to the salon. I used to cringe seeing a brush ripping through the backcombed/lacquered hair, it's a wonder she had any left. It looked awesome when it was freshly done though, she looked wonderfully elegant...

DaniGirl
January 10th, 2019, 02:13 PM
I wouldn’t do it. I have been known to keep a killer style in my hair from a salon as long as possible. I usually last about 2-3 days.

My grandma still gets this done once a week. She has bad shoulder and can’t reach to wash her hair properly so every Friday morning gets it washed, set and dried.

blackgothicdoll
January 10th, 2019, 02:23 PM

It was torture. Loud and hot by the dryers, cold and drafty elsewhere, and permeating throughout were the most vile, noxious fumes. Add incessant, inane, high-decibel blather.

Women went in as bubbleheads and came out looking no different. But they always left knowing who was having marital troubles, whose children were failing in school, and other information crucial to their lives.

Oh yeah, how could i forget that! So much gossip! Fortunately my mom raised me to be a recluse so nobody knew anything about us LOL.

lapushka
January 10th, 2019, 02:37 PM
I was thinking about how I remember hearing about women getting their hair 'done' every week in the 50s (whether that's true of not) and that made me think. If you could go to a salon and have you hair put into a nice updo (and yes I'm assuming we all have the income that we don't :rolleyes:) every few weeks or so, would you? Then you just wrap your hair at night and wash it every week, week and a half. I think I would. That would be worth going to the salon for. There are a lot of buns I'd like to try and my arms just get to tired to do it myself. Anyway, that's my fantasy.

My grandma on dad's side did this her whole life. She would get it washed and set in rollers at the salon.

If they would do nice, not damaging (key word), updos, I might treat myself on an occasion (like for Christmas or NY). But the "regular" updos with hundreds of bobby pins - no way.

Cg
January 10th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah, how could i forget that! So much gossip! Fortunately my mom raised me to be a recluse so nobody knew anything about us LOL.

Oh, I doubt that would've stopped the most avid gossips from some creative fiction.

Larke
January 10th, 2019, 03:50 PM
I would love to have my hair styled if possible. There's limits on what they could do to it, like no heat obviously, but fancy braiding and stuff would be really neat. I also enjoy it cause, as I mentioned in another thread, I like the feeling of having my hair touched and styled and all that. It's so relaxing. Plus I like walking around with a fancy style while everyone else just has it loose or in a ponytail. I rarely do my own hair beyond basic braids/buns, though, because it's tiring and I'm never happy with the result.

AmaryllisRed
January 10th, 2019, 04:01 PM
It would be nice to have someone pay attention to me. And to be made to look pretty. That said, I don't want bobby pins or hairspray.

embee
January 10th, 2019, 04:03 PM
I live in a small town and the old ladies here still do this. I used to work next door to a small local salon, and we got to see them all, every week! I would not do this, although I knew the hairdressers and liked both of them as people.

Ylva
January 10th, 2019, 04:09 PM

I just want to say that this is a great post. It made me feel like I was reading a book. :)

Ligeia Noire
January 10th, 2019, 05:44 PM
I think because we are mountain folks we never really stepped into a salon. Well I am lying I went a couple of times in my twenties but it was not even a proper one. But yeah i wouldn't because half of the fun of having long hair, for me, is to play with it and braid it, coming up with new ways to put it up and decorate it. It gives me much pleasure that I won't pass to anyone else. Besides I hate people trying to comb my hair.

MusicalSpoons
January 10th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Nope nope nope nope nope.

If my hair could hold a style for more than a day, great, I'd do it myself because the effort would be worth it.
If I could wash my hair (scalp) only once a week, fantastic, sign me up for that!
But other people doing my hair? Plus having to talk and/or listen the whole time? No chance! :run:

ursaV
January 10th, 2019, 06:52 PM
I would totally go to a salon once a week and keep that same style all week. That is if it wasn't filled with the noxious fumes and blow dryers Cg speaks of from experience shudder: But if I could get a fancy updo with braids or heatless curls done with some pretty ribbons or accessories, I would be really into it. I wouldn't really mind the chatter either, I don't talk much but I like to listen. Of course I would need a better wardrobe to match my hair if this were to become a reality.

lithostoic
January 10th, 2019, 06:58 PM
No I can't stand other people touching my hair.

cjk
January 10th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Barbershops are man salons. Or, the real ones are. And nowhere near as chemically toxic as women's.

I always sought out a traditional barber, a middle aged man in a white smock with great skill in clipper work. I loved it! Went religiously, always got excited.

Later I discovered the joys, the thrill of the unknown, of barber bouncing.

But unfortunately my favorite barbers retired and the barbershop morphed into a unisex clip joint. Most unpleasant.

And worse, the skill level of the average barber plummeted. Just TRY to find someone skilled in cutting flat tops, now.

My trips remained pleasant, but I invariably came home and corrected the haircut, myself. Why would I go to the shop, pay for a lackluster cut, and then come home having to redo it?

I truly miss the social aspect of it. And if I could find one I trusted, I might go back. But even my short list of adequate barbers has dwindled due to retirements. And one death.

It is depressing.

littlestarface
January 10th, 2019, 08:28 PM
Yeh if I could I would every week. I always thought that was so nice how women do that, I always wish I could be that type of girl but sadly i'm too poor.

pailin
January 10th, 2019, 08:37 PM
It may be changing a little here in the 12 years I've lived here (and I haven't been in a salon here in 5 years), but many women like to get their hair washed at the salon. They might do it once a week or so, and you get a nice scalp massage with the washing, and they blow dry it straight. My understanding is that, especially in less citified areas, a lot of people are still bathing traditionally with scooping water from a tank. Which is convenient and quick for bathing 2-4 times a day, but a hassle for hair washing, especially if you use conditioner.
Getting your makeup done at a salon before a night out seems pretty popular too. Both things are pretty inexpensive - I mean maybe 2 USD for the hair washing. But it's bread and butter for a lot of the little tiny salons run out of someone's living room.

dyna
January 10th, 2019, 10:16 PM
Barbershops are man salons. Or, the real ones are. And nowhere near as chemically toxic as women's.
Sort of. But don't have the grooming (as in "mutual grooming", where other mammals groom each other) aspect. I never particularly enjoyed barbers, it was more like getting my oil changed. I've been groomed a few times, and it was very nice. Even though the last time was by a grand-niece who did things she thought were funny with my hair. I don't know what it's like to go through the chemical treatment stuff that was part of hairdressing in my mom's time, but imagine (no experience whatsoever) that salons provide something of the grooming experience (without the "funny" or "chemical" bit). But I'm a guy, so my experience is limited.

Michiru
January 10th, 2019, 10:36 PM
So it sounds like most people wouldn't do it because of the damage to their hair. I think if it was a place that I knew wouldn't use frying tools on me then that would be different. Like doing a fancy braid or undo with pins. I've seen the old women with the curlers in their hair who don't have much hair left and I wouldn't want that but I'd like to try new updos that I couldn't do myself. It's interesting how it use to be considered normal for women to go in weekly. Even now it's every 2 months. Women try to make their nails last 2 weeks. I guess it was to get away from the husband and kids.

cjk
January 10th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Sort of. But don't have the grooming (as in "mutual grooming", where other mammals groom each other) aspect. I never particularly enjoyed barbers, it was more like getting my oil changed.

Haircuts, shaving, facials, manicures, and so forth. All barbershop traditions.

I'm not describing SuperMegaSportKutterz. I mean a barbershop.

Crystawni
January 10th, 2019, 11:24 PM
The old rinse and set mob have all but died out here. They (maybe, depending on texture) used to have their hair (coloured and) permed every few months, and then each week we'd give them a nice conditioning rinse (sometimes coloured with purple or blue) and then set their hair in rollers (and setting lotion), let them cook under a big, noisy hairdryer (cuppa and magazine time for the client), before removing the curlers and using a hand-held blowdryer to coif the front before combing the rest of the hair into waves and hitting it with half a can of Elnett (or similar hairspray). Both my mum, grandmothers and most of their female friends used to go through it, and kept things status quo by wearing rollers under a hairnet at night, or under a scarf during the day if going to an evening function. If there was any washing of hair at home (often with a tinted shampoo to help cover white roots), it was then drenched in setting lotion, then put up with the rollers again, to finally get blasted under the (portable) hairdryer (gawd these things used to take hours to dry hair, but were sooo hot...) before the final helmet-head of spray lacquered the hair in place.

Now it's all updos, makeup and nails for mainly special occasions (with the nail part a rare offshoot since it went down its own path). Any which way, it's a big NO from me. The incessant chatter (mainly between stylists nowadays who remain oblivious to their clients), hair pulling/tugging/knotting/frizzing, aka too much manipulation, bending into a dizzfest at a sink (I used to get epileptic fits from head-over-forward stuff as a kid), and chemical warfare--NUP. I had enough working in a salon (moonlighting while working in pharmacy), and would rather give myself a decent scalp massage every so often (I used to have clients falling asleep :lol:) and skip all the mindless b/s and fuss.

Did I say no. Yeah. No. My nostrils still haven't recovered from the fumefest, and my ears... well yanno..! And knowing me, I'd just redo everything to the way I want it as soon as I got home. :p

Sora Rose
January 11th, 2019, 02:35 AM
As I've never gone to a hairdresser except with my mom when she was getting a haircut, and as a little kid, no less, I've always associated them with boredom and the desire to get away as fast as possible. That aside, I wouldn't want anyone doing my hair for me, damage problems or no. Besides, I love washing my hair and styling them myself.

Joules
January 11th, 2019, 02:37 AM
No. Unless it's a salon owned by an LHCer, who knows how to brush long hair nd how to make a hairstyle that's not too tight, and that requires no alcohol-y styling products, heat or teasing (or pancaking for braids). Regular hairdressers are clueless, like, they have no concept of what's damaging to hair and what's not. I'm sure if I asked the lady I used to go to to style my hair with all my requirements, she'd say it's impossible.

Also, I wouldn't be able to wash my hair less than I do now. My scalp is on the oilier side, and if I don't wash it every three days, I get nasty symptoms.

Copasetic
January 11th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Ages ago I read that Brooke Shields got her hair blown out once a week at the salon and that was the extent of her hair care. She wouldn't wash it or anything herself in between. If I could afford it and I wasn't such a frugal person, I would love to do that.

In real life I have been to the salon exactly three times total in my 33 years.

nycelle
January 11th, 2019, 08:12 AM
It may be changing a little here in the 12 years I've lived here (and I haven't been in a salon here in 5 years), but many women like to get their hair washed at the salon. They might do it once a week or so, and you get a nice scalp massage with the washing, and they blow dry it straight. My understanding is that, especially in less citified areas, a lot of people are still bathing traditionally with scooping water from a tank. Which is convenient and quick for bathing 2-4 times a day, but a hassle for hair washing, especially if you use conditioner.
Getting your makeup done at a salon before a night out seems pretty popular too. Both things are pretty inexpensive - I mean maybe 2 USD for the hair washing. But it's bread and butter for a lot of the little tiny salons run out of someone's living room.

I'm in NYC (Manhattan), and having your hair washed and blown-out once a week before work is very common.
The salons open early just for that.

TatsuOni
January 11th, 2019, 10:38 AM
No. Not even if it was damage free.

Hairkay
January 11th, 2019, 10:49 AM
I have never been to a salon. It sounds like torture to me since I have to be aware of allergies and event lots of sudden heat changes cause problems for my skin. I am also not into the whole gossip thing. I am content with how things are. Big sis on the other hand does this all the time. She keeps her hair relaxed. She gets her hair and nails done.

nycelle
January 11th, 2019, 10:56 AM
I have never been to a salon. It sounds like torture to me since I have to be aware of allergies and event lots of sudden heat changes cause problems for my skin. I am also not into the whole gossip thing. I am content with how things are. Big sis on the other hand does this all the time. She keeps her hair relaxed. She gets her hair and nails done.

You can bring your own products in and have them do a wash and scalp massage. It's lovely actually. Just something to try once.

Regarding gossip - I know someone posted that the salon they went to with their grandmother was full of women gossiping. I've never experienced it myself though. But maybe it's more common to small towns where everyone knows each other rather than larger cities where you rarely see the same person twice.

Crystawni
January 11th, 2019, 05:06 PM
:scissors:

Regarding gossip - I know someone posted that the salon they went to with their grandmother was full of women gossiping. I've never experienced it myself though. But maybe it's more common to small towns where everyone knows each other rather than larger cities where you rarely see the same person twice.

Small towns and suburban salons, yes, and often in the old city department store salons where there'd be a mix of moreso regular and some new clientele. In the town where I spent my teens, the gossip hubs were the hairdressers for the women, and the pub/hotel (nicknamed "church") for the men. And then everyone would compare notes at the sporting venues. :wethree:

Milady_DeWinter
January 11th, 2019, 05:10 PM
My aunt haven't washed her hair alone since she got married. She and my uncle are quite wealthy, and my aunt just go twice a week to the salon to have her hair done. She have pretty hair BTW, a healthy dark 1b. But my mom and me can't imagine to do it AT ALL.

I prefer to do my stuff by myself, in general.

Kat
January 11th, 2019, 07:20 PM

I would have to magically acquire different hair... if I put my hair in a hairdo on Monday, by Tuesday it would look like crap. By Wednesday I'd look like a homeless person (I'm sorry to make that analogy as I know it's offensive and I'm not meaning to disparage anyone, but I'm not sure how to give you the same mental image of neglect in different words). By Thursday I'd look like I'd been in multiple MMA cage fights, with wolverines. By Friday I'd look like my head got caught in a wood chipper. By the next Monday my hairdresser would take one look, then walk out of the building, and into traffic.

(My hair, as you may know from other posts of mine, is soooo "shreddy." as in, I get little shreds hanging out of my crown and braids by the end of the day-- and I don't mean cute feminine wispies, or even minor frizzies, I mean shreds, shoulder-length clumps of hair, like, "doesn't she ever comb her hair??" shreds. By the end of the day. When I've been doing nothing but sitting at my desk.)

Eireann
January 11th, 2019, 07:28 PM
I always fantasized about having a "lady's maid" to do my hair every day, like in all those period dramas. But then my husband reminded me that in Agatha Christie novels the maid is always stealing your jewelry or plotting to murder you.

fraulin
January 12th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Once I was at the salon and woman came in and asked to straighten her hair with flat iron. I was thinking that was very strange since her hair wasn't curly or wavy.
It kinda makes sense why women in 50's went to get their hair done weekly. Even curling hair alone can take a long time and not everyone knows how to do it so I can understand why many women went to salons.
Personally, I wouldn't do it because and don't have that much money and I'm good at doing my own hair with as little damage as possible.

Cg
January 12th, 2019, 09:49 AM
I would have to magically acquire different hair... if I put my hair in a hairdo on Monday, by Tuesday it would look like crap. By Wednesday I'd look like a homeless person (I'm sorry to make that analogy as I know it's offensive and I'm not meaning to disparage anyone, but I'm not sure how to give you the same mental image of neglect in different words). By Thursday I'd look like I'd been in multiple MMA cage fights, with wolverines. By Friday I'd look like my head got caught in a wood chipper. By the next Monday my hairdresser would take one look, then walk out of the building, and into traffic....

Hahahaha!

I always fantasized about having a "lady's maid" to do my hair every day, like in all those period dramas. But then my husband reminded me that in Agatha Christie novels the maid is always stealing your jewelry or plotting to murder you.

Chortle. Thank you both for the levity and wit.

Hairkay
January 12th, 2019, 10:15 AM
You can bring your own products in and have them do a wash and scalp massage. It's lovely actually. Just something to try once.

I don't use manufactured hair products due to allergies so its not worth me going. From what I gather most salons disdain such things. It makes no economic sense to accommodate people like me.

Katsura
January 12th, 2019, 10:17 AM
The only thing I miss about salons is scalp massage. The last salon I used to go to was a good one and their scalp massages were amazing.

Jo Ann
January 14th, 2019, 12:33 AM
I remember going with my Nana to her hairdresser's a couple of times a month (praying I wouldn't get another dreaded pixie :tmi: ). I'm not sure if it was her back problems at the time that had her going every week (quite possibly), but I don't have any childhood memories of her with wet hair, other than when she and Pop-pop were going out and she didn't make it to her hairdresser's to have her hair done beforehand. I do remember the smell of the neutralizer solution for the perms done in the salon (yuck!) and the gossip between the hairdresser and the other clients (the town population was about 1500-2000, and these ladies had known each other for decades).

Personally, I think "going to get one's hair 'done'" was just a social thing, like a sewing circle or a coffee klaatch.

illicitlizard
January 14th, 2019, 09:10 PM
My grandma still gets her hair 'done' twice a week at the salon (very excessive in my opinion).
In answer to the question though, no I wouldn't. I'm far too fussy with how my hair is styled, and I can't stand the products. Every time I get my hair done at a hairdressers, I wash it out within 12 hours. I'm happy enough dealing with my own hair day to day and only going to a hairdresser for special occasions or trims (thus still getting the coveted scalp massage :P).

RottenMango
April 23rd, 2019, 06:19 PM
No, because I don’t trust anyone with my hair. I am VERY paranoid.

RavennaNight
April 23rd, 2019, 07:06 PM
I wouldn’t want to. I’ll do my own hair, no heat, no brushing unless it’s already combed out.. I still do know of some ladies in a Staten Island who do in fact, go and get their hair “done,” weekly. They get blowouts and styling. But Staten Island to some extent has women stuck in the 1950s mindset, so it shouldn’t be surprising.

zmirina
April 23rd, 2019, 10:28 PM
I wouldn’t want to. I’ll do my own hair, no heat, no brushing unless it’s already combed out.. I still do know of some ladies in a Staten Island who do in fact, go and get their hair “done,” weekly. They get blowouts and styling. But Staten Island to some extent has women stuck in the 1950s mindset, so it shouldn’t be surprising.

I had no idea that this is still a thing. I don't think it was ever a thing in russia in the first place... Though I could be mistaken
My grandmother have had a rigorous regimen of setting her curls with hot rollers every weekend all her life. Always by herself, never at a salon

I leave salons at least a little disappointed 99% of the time. Haircuts are the reason i have trust issues lol

YvetteVarie
April 24th, 2019, 02:12 AM
My mum goes to have her dreadlocks washed, retouched and styled once a monthy. I went to get my hair properly washed and braided once a month while I was pregnant. But since I have moved towns, and living where the stylists focus more on style than hair health, I'll pass on getting my hair done

LadyCelestina
April 24th, 2019, 04:55 AM
No, because I don’t trust anyone with my hair. I am VERY paranoid.

Same.

Maybe if the hairsalon was run by another LHCer :lol:

Kat
April 24th, 2019, 05:54 AM
Same.

Maybe if the hairsalon was run by another LHCer :lol:

That's what we need! LHC hair salons all over! That would be great!

(I can imagine: woman walks out of salon, unhappy. Her friend is like, "what happened?" "I went in and I asked her to cut a foot off and she only took an inch!" LOL)

Ylva
April 24th, 2019, 06:33 AM
I think I've trained my hairdresser to be a little bit like an LHC hairdresser. She frequently cuts off less than I request because she doesn't want me to panic over losing too much length or to go into an emergency hair preservation mode where my ends thin out because I simply refuse to take anything off. :D

hinabelle
April 24th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I'm finished with getting my hair "done". After 15 years of life spent being 100% reliant on others to take care of my hair,
I never want to go back. It's my hair and only I can know it best.

SwanFeathers
April 24th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Maybe this should be another thread, but I know growing up in my family it was a special treat to go to a salon and not have your hair hacked off by your mother, and my grandmother's generation saw it as me-time away from the pressures of work/family.
So since most if us arent intetested in a haircut, what alternatives do you use to feel extra pampered and polished?

zmirina
April 24th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Maybe this should be another thread, but I know growing up in my family it was a special treat to go to a salon and not have your hair hacked off by your mother, and my grandmother's generation saw it as me-time away from the pressures of work/family.
So since most if us arent intetested in a haircut, what alternatives do you use to feel extra pampered and polished?

A massage, a manipedi ? Every blowdry at salons I have had was max heat to the point of crispiness in my hair. I try to avoid it as much as possible

Begemot
April 24th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Non damaging updos would be nice but I don't think many hairdressers do styles that don't include heat styling and ton of products. It would be amazing if I could have regular hair treatments done.

Natalia_A00
April 24th, 2019, 12:17 PM
I love getting my hair done. Complicated updos, braids and hairstyles I can't do myself (I'm very clumsy). I just can't afford it lol. My hair is oily so I wouldn't go to the salon to get my hair washed once a week, but I'd go for hairstyles or maybe for treatments to keep it healthy and hydrated

pinkypoo
April 24th, 2019, 12:45 PM
I would love to be able to get deep conditioning treatments and have my hair put in a pretty braid every week. In reality I dread it because I usually get my hair tangled up in the shampoo bowl and then the hair stylist rips a brush through my fragile hair trying to fix the mess they created. :rolleyes:

LadyCelestina
April 24th, 2019, 01:40 PM
That's what we need! LHC hair salons all over! That would be great!

(I can imagine: woman walks out of salon, unhappy. Her friend is like, "what happened?" "I went in and I asked her to cut a foot off and she only took an inch!" LOL)

"She sent me back home to consult the 2-week rule!"

Groovy Granny
April 24th, 2019, 02:35 PM

I don't know how I missed this one, but the answer is NO :tmi:

My Mother lost her hair because of this....weekly salon visits for a shampoo....then styled with curling irons, teasing, and tons of hair spray (I'm talking hurricane force wind protection). :p

Week nights it was wrapped in tissues and bobby pinned, then picked out to fluff in the morning with another layer of lacquer EVERY DAY.

She did this for more than half her life (including some perms and coloring) and ended up with a bald spot that covered the ENTIRE BACK OF HER HEAD :thud: so that a clip in hair piece was needed to cover it..... as well as a PRIVATE appt at the salon for weekly styling because she was so humiliated she wouldn't even let us see it....very sad :(

I tried to tell her for years prior that she was ruining her hair, but to no avail; thankfully I broke my sister of her habit and she went silver as well :shrug:

So nope.....the 'luxury' was not worth the end price :nono:

I had my occasional salon treats but also disasters ....and I am very happy to put my own effort into my hair and have it remain healthy ....and also be SALON FREE since 2013!

Dark40
April 24th, 2019, 05:19 PM
I've only been to the salon twice in my life. I haven't been back since. My mom doesn't go at all. We both do our own hair. But we always say,"Every now and then it's nice to treat yourself to a pampering to get your hair done!" And, I agree.

Kat
April 25th, 2019, 08:31 PM
"She sent me back home to consult the 2-week rule!"

"She wouldn't use a curling iron on it!"

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 06:10 AM
Yeah, I'm finished with getting my hair "done". After 15 years of life spent being 100% reliant on others to take care of my hair,
I never want to go back. It's my hair and only I can know it best.

Well said! ^^ :thumbsup:

LadyCelestina
April 26th, 2019, 07:58 AM
"She wouldn't use a curling iron on it!"

I asked about maintenance appointments, and got told to put it up, forget about it, and come back in 2021 for a 1/4 inch trim!