PDA

View Full Version : Headscarves

Larke
January 9th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Just something I'm curious about. I love wearing headscarves. They're warm, comfortable to me, and they keep my hair out of the way. But often times, I feel uncomfortable wearing them out in public, since it's such a loaded religious symbol to many people. Do any of you like wearing headscarves for the sake of your hair? How do you see the whole topic of wearing them outside of a specific religion or culture?

Snoods are fun too. Not religious, but people stare even more. :P

nycelle
January 9th, 2019, 07:30 PM
Just something I'm curious about. I love wearing headscarves. They're warm, comfortable to me, and they keep my hair out of the way. But often times, I feel uncomfortable wearing them out in public, since it's such a loaded religious symbol to many people. Do any of you like wearing headscarves for the sake of your hair? How do you see the whole topic of wearing them outside of a specific religion or culture?

See them all the time here so don't give it a second thought. They're not worn by just one specific group either so it's just not a big deal. But I guess that would depend on where you're from.
I won't wear them though as I don't like having my entire head covered, just not comfortable to me.

HaMalka
January 9th, 2019, 08:57 PM
I wear headscarves when my hair is wet and I have to go outside or my hair is dirty and I don't want it to be seen. I avoid certain styles of headscarves because in my community only married women usually cover their hair and wearing the styles typically worn by married ladies when I am unmarried can be awkward. I have been mistaken for being married several times starting from when I was fifteen due to injudicious choice of head covering. I also avoid wearing headscarves that are specific to other religions as I do not want to misrepresent myself. I don't really care what other people do with headscarves as they are their own people and can choose to wear what they want.

Snoods even more so than other head coverings seem married lady to me simply because I have never seen anyone who was not married wear one outside of a renaissance festival or similar event.

blackgothicdoll
January 9th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Where I'm from, walking outside in a headscarf is considered... a word I don't like to use. But when I was younger and tried to go out in one, my mom would always say 'take that thing of your head! You look like Aunt Jemima!" so today I will not ever wear a scarf that I wear around the house outside. (A satin scarf wrapped around the hair and tucked in).

I may wear a satin scarf under a knit beanie if it is bulky enough, but that's about how far I'll stretch it. A hijab on the other hand, well that's a lot different than a headscarf (unless that's what you were referring to the whole time) and I wouldn't be wearing one unless somewhere it was expected me to wear one, which would be at an embassy here in America. And I suppose certain type of shawl covers are seen as religious too (I was advised to bring one on my trip to Spain), but with those I don't think anyone would look twice at me here in America, there's plenty of people who wear them and many of them are my complexion.

I think it really depends on where you live and what type of religious groups there are in the first place.

AutobotsAttack
January 9th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Depends. For my culture, and black women and general, we wear scarves, and headwraps. All the bright colors and intricate designs. As have our African ancestors for thousands of years. There’s different ways you can wear headwraps, so I can see how it may raise brows as to how you wear it, but I really don’t see a problem with it. It’s apart of my culture, and I’ll laugh In someone’s face if they even try to bring up religious reasons for them to scrutinize me, or ask questions that are completely unnecessary.

Tinyponies
January 10th, 2019, 01:43 AM
I wear a cotton tube similar shape to a “Buff”, and tie the ends closed over my hair stick bun. Is this what you would call a snood?

I always wear it when I go out. It protects all of my regrowth baby hairs and is warm. It also feels very comfortable and comforting, which is important to me.

The place where I live is a very dirty industrial landscape and the weather is often bad. It helps to keep some of that black dusty air-stuff out of my hair.

If I didn’t wear it, even with my hair bunned I would get a lot of knots in the baby hairs, so for me the practicality outweighs any concern about how I may appear.

I have no idea if I am judged, or how I am judged by doing so. I’ve been wearing it for so long now that I feel quite exposed in a public outdoor place without it.

Rosy blossom
January 10th, 2019, 02:02 AM
You can wear a headscarf for reasons besides religion. As others have said it does depend on where you live. It's your choice end of the day, don't worry about what people think.

Estrid
January 10th, 2019, 03:11 AM
I avoided putting scarves over my head for the longest time due to it being such a religious symbol and nothing else. I know women used to use them as "hats" back in the days and I've recently started to do that as well since it does keep me a lot warmer (and it does look rather nice).

I let a lot of my hair show in the front and let my braid show in the back (if it's a braid I'm wearing). I probably look far from religious, but the mere thought of it makes me very uncomfortable.

I've never wore them because of my hair, and I don't think I would. It being cold is a "perfect excuse"... it's rather sad that it is this way, but it is what it is.

lithostoic
January 10th, 2019, 05:57 AM
Yeah no, where I'm from a headscarf is a religious symbol unless you are black. And I am neither. If you're a biker you can wear a bandana but that's about it.

Aerya
January 10th, 2019, 06:25 AM
If I'm wearing a jacket that doesn't have a hood and it's raining or cold, I will pull my scarf over my hair to not get wet. Not in a particular style or anything and I don't care if some hair is showing. My boyfriend jokes that I look like an old woman but other than that I haven't gotten any comments; and if anyone gets offended for some reason then I honestly don't care. It's entirely practical for me and no culture owns the act of having a scarf on your head in itself. Of course I wouldn't deliberately wrap it like a hijab or something, but other than that I say do what you want.

TreesOfEternity
January 10th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Yeah no, where I'm from a headscarf is a religious symbol unless you are black. And I am neither. If you're a biker you can wear a bandana but that's about it.

Same. It’s a shame because I love how headscarves look plus they are convenient

lapushka
January 10th, 2019, 06:30 AM

Here you only see Turkish women wearing head scarves. Sometimes really covering ones too.

It largely depends, I think, on *how* you wear one.

enting
January 10th, 2019, 06:34 AM
I love headscarves. I folded bandanas into wide headbands to get around the no-hats-or-headcoverings rule in high school. I wore bandanas all summer long. When it started being seen as a religious thing I stopped wearing scarves, but in retrospect I should have kept on and ignored what people think about it. Mainly it was that I was being mistaken for married like HaMalka mentioned above. I do enjoy how it feels but also it deters me from pulling out hair and prevents damage from sun and wind. Covering my hair is what got me past my midback stall because I wasn't accumulating as much damage.

TatsuOni
January 10th, 2019, 07:21 AM
I wear them pretty much daily. Some people (older men) left some negative comments in the beginning and some even complemented them (older women). Now everyone's gotten used to me wearing them. And for strangers outside I really don't care what they think of me.

SwanFeathers
January 10th, 2019, 07:44 AM
I have worn headscarves before with mixed results as far as public response. Usually people just assume I am jewish and dont bother me much (I get asked if I'm jewish just as often without the scarf so I guess its just my general appearance) but I once encountered a young orthodox-jewish lady at the supermarket and got some tips! She sent me to Wrappunzel on YT.
As far as negative reactions- lets just say I have occasionally had a bad experience with people from select religious/ethnic background who have a problem with basically any culture east of france, but those are far and few between.

Simsy
January 10th, 2019, 07:49 AM
I use a range of scarves to keep my flyaways out of the wind and to stop hard hats interfering with my braids and buns. I genuinely don’t care what anyone thinks of my scarves; and for the most part, no one really cared after the first few days of seeing me wear them.

Granted, my scarves were tied in more of a vintage pinup style over whatever bun or pinned braids I had going on; but no one cared enough to cause trouble over it. I see a few people wandering around town wearing more traditional headscarves and I don’t see much commenting (though I will freely admit that I don’t spend much time in town these days). I sometimes comment if I like the scarf design or colour; but nothing beyond that.

The main problem (not the right word but I not sure what else would fit) with attaching a specific meaning to the wearing of headscarves is that every religion has some sort of head scarf or hair covering as part of the modesty or respect due to someone or something. Christians have the nun habit, Islam has the hijab and variations; Judaism has the hair covering to wear while at worship, ect...

For myself, true tolerance is accepting that every religion has coverings, usually for the same broad reasons; and that head scarves are not the best indicator of any particular belief, or lack thereof; and should not form the basis for arguments or picking fights.

neko_kawaii
January 10th, 2019, 08:10 AM
In my grandmother’s generation women always wore scarves to protect their hairstyle while outside. Look up pictures from the 50s.

If you want to wear something on your head, wear it!

AmaryllisRed
January 10th, 2019, 08:26 AM
In my grandmother’s generation women always wore scarves to protect their hairstyle while outside. Look up pictures from the 50s.

Yes, when I was a kid, my grandma and all her contemporaries ALWAYS wore these scarf things on their heads when they went out. I always figured it was because they had their hair washed and styled at the salon only a couple of times a month and needed to keep it looking good until the next appointment.
But these look way different than something a woman would wear for religious reasons.
I also know a woman who wears scarves fashionably, but they also are a different type than a religious covering.
I think various cultures have their own types and as long as you're not wearing something from a culture that isn't your own, you're perfectly fine.

MusicalSpoons
January 10th, 2019, 08:41 AM
'Headscarf' to me means kind of a pashmina or similar type of shawl/scarf, which where I live = hijab if it's worn over the head. Headwraps are very distinctive, something entirely different.

Personally, I wish I lived somewhere that putting a scarf over one's head was simply part of a cultural norm, because it would be so practical! But here with its religious symbolism, I would be misrepresenting myself and my own faith if I wore something that would readily be mistaken for part of a different faith.

However a different style of scarf, like the older generation of women wore to cover their hair while working on the land or in factories is completely different ... it's just not my style and I'm not keen to draw attention to myself! ;)

neko_kawaii
January 10th, 2019, 08:54 AM
MusicalSpoons, I'm always reminded of my grandmother when I see pictures of the Queen in a scarf. I suppose she wears hats more often for public appearances, but there are many pictures of her in the countryside wearing a scarf over her hair.

MusicalSpoons
January 10th, 2019, 09:32 AM
MusicalSpoons, I'm always reminded of my grandmother when I see pictures of the Queen in a scarf. I suppose she wears hats more often for public appearances, but there are many pictures of her in the countryside wearing a scarf over her hair.

Yes, that's exactly it :) I sometimes see a few older ladies from the same generation who are still mobile also wearing those scarves when they're out and about, even in urban areas. It is so practical!

nycelle
January 10th, 2019, 09:40 AM
I think I have a pic of my Russian grandmother wearing one somewhere. Usually she'd tie in the front, but there were a few instances where she had her entire head covered, and it was tied in the back.

Michiru
January 10th, 2019, 09:56 AM
This is why I miss living in a place with cold weather. When it got cold I could cover my head and say it was because it was cold. Now I can never do that. I'd love to wear a head covering.

AmaryllisRed
January 10th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Ah yes! My grandma used to wear them just like the queen. They are of the same generation, though my grandma was American.

Katsura
January 10th, 2019, 10:18 AM
I wear headscarves almost daily during the summer. I do a lot of outdoors work and I need to protect my hair and head from the sun. I couldn't do without. And I love scarves because they are light and breathable. Too bad if it bothers someone.

Tinyponies
January 10th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I would love to see everyone’s interpretation of head scarf with dimensions of the scarf and how they like to tie them.

nycelle
January 10th, 2019, 11:59 AM
I would love to see everyone’s interpretation of head scarf with dimensions of the scarf and how they like to tie them.

Generally I think of something like this (https://www.headcovers.com/solid-silk-head-scarf-square-scarves/) or this (https://www.diyanu.com/products/african-print-head-wrap-scarf-yellow-blue)

I don't think of hijabs when I think headscarves.

Tinyponies
January 10th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Lovely, nycelle, I think of http://http://vintagethreadsuk.blogspot.com/2011/04/head-scarf-glamour.html aka “like the queen”

A decade ago, all the old ladies seemed to wear them like this. Now I see them rarely, and it’s more of a vintage style thing.

blackgothicdoll
January 10th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I think this, or this is how I wear one around the house: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/533746993315766604/

nycelle
January 10th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Lovely, nycelle, I think of http://http://vintagethreadsuk.blogspot.com/2011/04/head-scarf-glamour.html aka “like the queen”

A decade ago, all the old ladies seemed to wear them like this. Now I see them rarely, and it’s more of a vintage style thing.

Yes, that's how my grandmother generally wore hers.
But I don't think I've ever seen someone from my mom's generation, or mine for that matter wear them that way. Definitely a vintage style.

Still if you add a big pair of sunglasses to the scarf, it becomes very Jackie O. Almost want to wear it that way now..

Estrid
January 10th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Generally I think of something like this (https://www.headcovers.com/solid-silk-head-scarf-square-scarves/) or this (https://www.diyanu.com/products/african-print-head-wrap-scarf-yellow-blue)

I don't think of hijabs when I think headscarves.

Oh, that's not at all what I was picturing when I replied to this thread! They look lovely :o

This is more what I was picturing! I relate it more to old ladies as well.
This image (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ab/99/e9/ab99e993728f40b7a98d3b66f2df094a--head-scarfs-head-scarf-wrap.jpg) pretty much shows how I usually wear mine if I do, but I use a long normal scarf, so it hangs down more in the front (and is not silky).

Reyn127
January 10th, 2019, 12:46 PM
This thread is really interesting to read. Some people are strongly sensitive to some cultural awareness, it seems mostly based on the style that it's worn in. Religious connotations are coming up a lot, even though it sounds like a good number of those who occasionally wear a head scarf of some sort aren't necessarily doing it to represent a certain faith.

Personally, I do wear a scarf wrapped around my head sometimes. Rarely does it cover all of my hair or neck, so I feel like it doesn't necessarily tie me to any religious group. But I do sometimes feel like people stare a little more when I wear them. Even though the look I go for is generally more of a loose, hooded scarf sort of thing.

Kind of like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81MYi+HBN3L._SR500,500_.jpg But I wouldn't wear something that fuzzy directly on my hair.

HaMalka
January 10th, 2019, 01:10 PM

I consider any piece of fabric wrapped or tied around the head to be a headscarf with the exception of pieces thin enough to be a headband. They can be square, rectangular, triangular, circular etc. They can be any dimensions and tied or wrapped in a multitude of ways.

I usually will wear bandanas or a larger piece tied at the back under my bun. If the ends are long enough the ends trail down my back like a veil. unless I am doing some activity wear I need it up and out of the way. Depending on the size and shape of the fabric I will sometimes bring the ends up and around to the top of my head and twist them together. I will sometimes secure the front of the scarf with bobby pins and if the scarf is particularly heavy I will add a headband for additional security.

Larke
January 10th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the very interesting replies, everyone!

Headscarves (of any type) are not common where I live, outside of a very select from cultures/religions. They would be appropriate for me to wear both because of my cultural and religious backgrounds, not that I think you need that kind of justification to wear whatever it is that you want to wear, but it still feels weird for me to actually go out of the house like that. Plus the current program I'm in has a big focus on a professional appearance (suits and the whole deal), and I don't think they would appreciate headscarves as a fashion choice. One day, I'd like top be able to wear them out of the house, though...

enting
January 10th, 2019, 04:39 PM

'Headscarf' to me means kind of a pashmina or similar type of shawl/scarf, which where I live = hijab if it's worn over the head. Headwraps are very distinctive, something entirely different.

Personally, I wish I lived somewhere that putting a scarf over one's head was simply part of a cultural norm, because it would be so practical! But here with its religious symbolism, I would be misrepresenting myself and my own faith if I wore something that would readily be mistaken for part of a different faith.

However a different style of scarf, like the older generation of women wore to cover their hair while working on the land or in factories is completely different ... it's just not my style and I'm not keen to draw attention to myself! ;)

I resonate with both of these comments. On the one hand, I believe in wearing or not wearing whatever I want to on my head. On the other hand, I don't want to misrepresent myself. On the other hand again, as several here have said, after the first few days of scarf wearing, people get used to it and stop looking oddly at one.

At the moment I am actually accurately representing myself *to* wear a headscarf, so the conflict is resolved for me at this time, but I still do feel the above conflict.

To me, a headscarf is any piece of fabric that is worn on the head, it's not a style in and of itself. I'm never sure how others define their coverings, though, so I have some awkwardness with complimenting people. I'll usually wind up saying something like "I like your headgear" which means something entirely different! Or I'll say "I like your... "(and then gesture vaguely around my head).

I will say it is quite practical, especially out and about in public. It keeps dirt, germs, smoke, smog, and whatever else out of the hair. Certain styles can certainly look professional, but it does take a bit of adjustment to get used to the look in a professional setting.

Larke
January 10th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Certain styles can certainly look professional, but it does take a bit of adjustment to get used to the look in a professional setting.

Do you have any examples of what you would consider to be professional ways to wear...headgear? XD I've looked online and hijabs are generally more accepted in a professional setting to avoid discrimination, but that's again for religious reasons, which I don't want to project right now. Again, I could just tell people I'm wearing it for religious reasons (like I do in church, for example), but strictly speaking, my religious doesn't require it, so it's a personal choice at that point, and if it's a choice, then it's not quite the same thing in a professional setting.

MusicalSpoons
January 10th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Your comments about professional settings got me thinking, and I would think something plain with the ends neatly tucked in might possibly pass as professional? Maybe something like this https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/512636370054841350 but in a darker colour? (Professional almost always = darker colours)

The responses are all really interesting, and actually just doing a Google search for 'headscarf' brings up all different kinds of styles. I have to say though, that the majority are still associated here with religious head covering, just maybe younger Muslim women being a bit more trendy than the usual pashmina type of hijab ('the usual' type of scarf that some wear tightly and pinned into place, and others loosely drape over their heads and over their shoulder, but the covering still serves the same purpose).

If I'm ever well enough to be doing some kind of messy work and want to cover my hair, though, seeing the different styles has made me think that I'd quite happily cover my hair and not think too deeply about it :D nycelle I really love the first style you linked to!

Ligeia Noire
January 10th, 2019, 05:38 PM
As a lot of you stated... I remember my grandmothers and great aunts putting them on when going to church. My mother never wears one and I do not like headscarves. I don't like to cover my head. But it looks beautiful on some people.

blackgothicdoll
January 10th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Your comments about professional settings got me thinking, and I would think something plain with the ends neatly tucked in might possibly pass as professional? Maybe something like this https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/512636370054841350 but in a darker colour? (Professional almost always = darker colours)

The responses are all really interesting, and actually just doing a Google search for 'headscarf' brings up all different kinds of styles. I have to say though, that the majority are still associated here with religious head covering, just maybe younger Muslim women being a bit more trendy than the usual pashmina type of hijab ('the usual' type of scarf that some wear tightly and pinned into place, and others loosely drape over their heads and over their shoulder, but the covering still serves the same purpose).

If I'm ever well enough to be doing some kind of messy work and want to cover my hair, though, seeing the different styles has made me think that I'd quite happily cover my hair and not think too deeply about it :D nycelle I really love the first style you linked to!

I've seen people wear these in black in professional settings. I don't really bat an eye towards it. I assume they have a reason to want to cover their hair that isn't religious, and it looks just fine.

TatsuOni
January 11th, 2019, 10:14 AM
https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/3_5c064bbfe087c31ec5223a00.jpg
This is one way I wear mine. It still gives me the ability to show of my buns and toys.

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/6_5b51b9622a6b228a16e6bf41.jpg
Here's another similar way. Sometimes I tuck the ends in, sometimes I don't.

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_5a7179a1ddf2b314848f9ad4.jpg
A more "common" and more "acceptable" version. Though I usually wear a bun underneath.

I have a few more ways that I wear mine, but this is what I have pictures of.

blackgothicdoll
January 11th, 2019, 11:05 AM
^ Those all look very nice. I especially like the first one!

Larke
January 11th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Those look awesome! Thanks for sharing.

TreesOfEternity
January 11th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Tatsu that’s gorgeous :heartbeat You always inspire me so much!

daisy rei
January 11th, 2019, 10:56 PM
Great styles, TatsuOni!

I have a huge scarf collection (obsession) and I would love to find more creative ways to wear and display them. I instantly think of the Russian grandma headscarf style, which I personally love because my dream would be to dress like a Russian grandma every day. :rolling:

But what about Jackie O? Headscarves were super chic in the fifties and sixties!

https://i.gyazo.com/cb8e2bf639a63c8912b8adf5a950e020.png

https://i.gyazo.com/7411465b59ce7f28657829d935c9afb7.png

There's always the rockabilly style of wearing the knot in the front. There have to be a few less potentially offensive headscarf styles for nonreligious white women to wear...

Estrid
January 12th, 2019, 12:20 AM
-I instantly think of the Russian grandma headscarf style, which I personally love because my dream would be to dress like a Russian grandma every day. :rolling:
-

Same... same :bluebiggr
I wish I knew what to call the style because I find it hard to google for, sure, "russian grandma" shows some styles like that, but I know that it was worn here in Sweden too. Maybe it was too long ago, as in before the general population started to take photos. *sigh*

Like this, a shawl tied under the chin (https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7a94406b57a4ae09de475319f5d55956).
I need to invest in more square shawls, I only have one, but it's a lovely style.

TatsuOni
January 12th, 2019, 03:04 AM
^ Those all look very nice. I especially like the first one!

Those look awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Tatsu that’s gorgeous :heartbeat You always inspire me so much!

Great styles, TatsuOni!

I have a huge scarf collection (obsession) and I would love to find more creative ways to wear and display them. I instantly think of the Russian grandma headscarf style, which I personally love because my dream would be to dress like a Russian grandma every day. :rolling:

But what about Jackie O? Headscarves were super chic in the fifties and sixties!

https://i.gyazo.com/cb8e2bf639a63c8912b8adf5a950e020.png

https://i.gyazo.com/7411465b59ce7f28657829d935c9afb7.png

There's always the rockabilly style of wearing the knot in the front. There have to be a few less potentially offensive headscarf styles for nonreligious white women to wear...

Thank you! :flower: :flower: :flower:

During cold winter days when I do things outside, I wear double scarves. It's really warm and comfortable!

AmaryllisRed
January 12th, 2019, 08:45 AM
There's a lady at my church who is probably in her 60's and has always had long hair and always wears a scarf on her head outside. I've never seen her wear a hat. And now that my hair is long and I'm trying to keep it nice in hat weather, I understand. If I found that a scarf would keep my head as warm as a hat, I'd be all for it.

neko_kawaii
January 12th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Babushka is the description for scarf tied under the chin. I prefer to tie mine at nape.

Estrid
January 12th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Babushka is the description for scarf tied under the chin. I prefer to tie mine at nape.

Isn't that just a word for an old Russian lady? x)

neko_kawaii
January 12th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Isn't that just a word for an old Russian lady? x)

Yep, and according to Merriam-Webster it is also

Definition of babushka
1a : a usually triangularly folded kerchief for the head
b : a head covering (such as a scarf) resembling a babushka

Estrid
January 12th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Yep, and according to Merriam-Webster it is also

Hm, interesting! I don't think that word would pass as a word for a headscarf in Sweden, people would laugh at me! :lol:

Ophidian
January 12th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Chiming in to say I love these Tatsu!

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/3_5c064bbfe087c31ec5223a00.jpg
This is one way I wear mine. It still gives me the ability to show of my buns and toys.

https://cdn1.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/6_5b51b9622a6b228a16e6bf41.jpg
Here's another similar way. Sometimes I tuck the ends in, sometimes I don't.

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_5a7179a1ddf2b314848f9ad4.jpg
A more "common" and more "acceptable" version. Though I usually wear a bun underneath.

I have a few more ways that I wear mine, but this is what I have pictures of.

I wear scarves, but mostly around the house. Usually like this (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiuztrX-OjfAhXPmq0KHQEgAWwQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F299278 337710582009%2F&psig=AOvVaw1lFiHy0AMYVh3czLVQsk7b&ust=1547406534739905), with a square silk scarf folded into a triangle. Sometimes I’ll wear it out like this (http://www.depop.com/01georgr/01georgr-vintage-y2k-and-90s-red) with a bun. If I’m using a larger scarf, I like to wrap it around the bun like Tatsu’s second photo. Sometimes I’ll use a smaller scarf just as a bun cover. To sleep, I have a more complicated tying method but it ends up looking roughly like this (http://www.headcovers.com/cotton-woodblock-head-scarves/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvebhBRD5ARIsAIQUmnmVOmh3BN314fPjNzu m3kNNFYAvAVkYWS8EtNLcY6_7fY4y4438Gi0aAuYMEALw_wcB) with a longer bit in the back. So I guess I tend to wear styles out that cover part of my hair, but tend to wear scarves covering my whole head only around the house.

enting
January 12th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Larke, in general I agree with MusicalSpoons and the idea of all the ends neatly tucked in looking more professional. I'll try to look up some styles. I used to have a ton of my own pictures of wraps but I lost a bunch of them with a hard drive crash.

ETA: okay here are a few images from the internet that I think I would consider professional looking.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/17/48/2b/17482beea60c4769f187b015818ebbd0--african-women-african-fashion.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ab/62/b9/ab62b94e620107e0ea63298241d8b463.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0686/6333/products/the-wrap-life-head-wrap-turban-hair-scarf-brooklyn-solid-pomme3_1200x.jpg?v=1540500044

lots of things here https://www.headcovers.com/slip-on-scarf-pre-tied-scarves-women-cancer-chemotherapy/ (you dont have to have cancer to wear a headscarf!) Here there's an end hanging down, but it's not long, it frames the face rather than being long and loose therefore it gives a more professional impression. The same is true of wrapping a regular scarf, a contained short "tail" is going to look more professional than long ends and tassels and fringes flying everywhere.

and here's some examples and discussion of professional wraps from Wrapunzel's blog. https://wrapunzelblog.com/2017/09/07/head-wrapping-in-the-professional-world-by-lila-h/

As you can see, I think there are plenty of ways to wear colors and patterns in a professional manner, especially when it's carefully matched to one's outfit or the rest of the outfit is a solid color.

I also sometimes like to layer a couple of thin scarves even if the underscarf can't be seen in order to bulk out the profile. Somehow that gives more of the impression of a hat or intentionally stylish head covering rather than the sometimes flat and bald look just one scarf can give. That's also because I have a rounder face, so I like to balance it out with volume around my face. Someone else may find that a sleeker profile works better for them.

nycelle
January 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM
It means grandmother (Babushka)
I've never heard a Russian use it to mean anything else, well.. maybe older woman. But I was raised in the US, so maybe in Russia it's used for other things.

Larke
January 12th, 2019, 06:51 PM
Ophidian, enting, thanks for sharing those pictures! I'm starting to get some great ideas. :D

So part of why I want to start wearing headscarves more is because I'm Russian myself and think it's a great style. I live in the US, though, in an area where headscarves are not common, so it's hard to start wearing them, at least for me. As for the word 'babushka', I've only ever heard of it being used to refer to 'grandmother', but I'm not surprised it means the headscarf too. I would guess that this second meaning of the word originated outside Russia, though? In Russian, the word for headscarf is 'platok', with the stress on the second syllable. :)

AmaryllisRed
January 12th, 2019, 08:59 PM
My mom always called it a babushka but she tends to use the wrong words for things so I figured she was wrong here as well. :)

neko_kawaii
January 12th, 2019, 09:10 PM
It might be regional in the US. I grew up with babushka meaning both grandma and headscarf tied in front. West coast.

Estrid
January 12th, 2019, 10:10 PM
I think that's probably it, neko_kawaii. I wonder how that word ended up meaning headscarf as well :p I suppose that makes it easier for you all who live in a place where that word works, no need to paint up a picture with multiple words, one word is enough! ^.^

blackgothicdoll
January 12th, 2019, 10:15 PM
^ I think it's a word association thing, such as associating with the scarf to the grandma that would wear the scarf. Like I can say the term 'suits' and be referring to a person, not the clothing garb, although that's what the word suit is generally used for. Not really a good example since that's more slang, but that's my best gander. ^_^

Estrid
January 13th, 2019, 01:22 AM
^ I think it's a word association thing, such as associating with the scarf to the grandma that would wear the scarf. Like I can say the term 'suits' and be referring to a person, not the clothing garb, although that's what the word suit is generally used for. Not really a good example since that's more slang, but that's my best gander. ^_^

That makes sense!

TatsuOni
January 13th, 2019, 04:01 AM
Chiming in to say I love these Tatsu!

Thank you! :flower: