PDA

View Full Version : Indian Hair Oils - Mineral Oil

blackgothicdoll
January 9th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Indian hair oils are my new obsession lately, and though I love the herbal ones, I often come across oils that are pretty much just mineral oil, canola oil, cyclomethicone, some amla extract and food coloring. Reviews for these will be absolutely raving, even Indian women comment and say that oils like these are why their hair is so long. :confused:

But its just mineral oil and vegetable oil. Nobody raves about having long hair from using crisco. So what's the real reason behind this? Is is the sealing with the oil that makes it beneficial? Is it massaging the scalp (not specifically with that oil but massaging alone)?

I must know! :p

lapushka
January 9th, 2019, 01:36 PM
I used to use baby oil (basically fragranced MO) in the rinse-out oil method (ROO) (link in signature). It was my oil of choice. I just never let it get near the scalp because it's a beast washing MO out of your roots. But on the lengths it is absolutely heaven!

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 02:01 PM
I'm curious to know too. Various extracts are put in these products as beneficial for the scalp and promoting hair growth - but I wouldn't put MO on my scalp!! :bigeyes: Do people do that?

(I don't object to having plant or nut oils on my scalp, I just don't actively oil it because it's such a faff and more goes on my hair and then it takes forever to wash out, whichever method I use. But I really would draw the line at MO; even for ROO it's much less forgiving than plant oils.)

Gisela
January 9th, 2019, 02:58 PM
A great many Indian hair oils contain mineral oil, yes, but as lapushka mentioned, MO isn't bad for the length. I wouldn't put on my scalp, though. I think it's used a an emollient for all the other ayurvedic herb extracts.

I know that the most known brands like Vatika and Dabur actually contain very little herb extract and a looot of MO and perfume. Using Dabur amla oil (liquid paraffin oil, amla extract, perfume, BHT (Butyl Hydroxytoulene), and vegetable oils such as sesame, canola, peanut, and cotton seed) as an example, those ingredients aren't necessarily bad for your hair, especially when partnered with BHT (an antioxidant) and amla extract.

I would like to know the answer for the other ingredients, though.
[/B][/B]

blackgothicdoll
January 9th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I'm curious to know too. Various extracts are put in these products as beneficial for the scalp and promoting hair growth - but I wouldn't put MO on my scalp!! :bigeyes: Do people do that?

Yep, that's what really has me confused. I wouldn't put that on my scalp either. But the instructions on these type of products say to massage on scalp and hair, and people do that. :S

lapushka
January 9th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Yep, that's what really has me confused. I wouldn't put that on my scalp either. But the instructions on these type of products say to massage on scalp and hair, and people do that. :S

Yeah... I wouldn't. Why not put a natural oil on the scalp, massage with that, and then moisturize your lengths with the MO based products. You do need to vary the amount, because you are going to need *far* less of the MO-based item than the natural oil.

I use about 10 drops of baby oil in my oil rinse, and about twice as much for a natural oil!

Olux
January 9th, 2019, 09:15 PM
I remember back then when i was into oiling i loved the amla one, then i read the ingredients and felt disappointed and quit, cause of the mineral oil and artificial colors. Eventually i used it again, but this time my hair didn't turn out nicely.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 10th, 2019, 02:16 AM
I use Dabur Vatika oil, when I do ROO but I only put it from ear length down to the ends, I never put it on my scalp at all. I love it, though!

cestlavie
January 10th, 2019, 04:10 AM
If you are looking for an indian hair oil I would recommend Khadi. They have an Amla hair oil, a Vitalizing hair oil and a balsam oil (for the very dry scalp) which contain a lot of Indian herbs and extracts. Dabur oil never worked for me since it was sooo heavy but I can imagine why it is so loved since MO keeps moisture in very well.

Joules
January 10th, 2019, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't use mineral oil for the purpose of nourishing my hair. I don't think it can penetrate the hair and give it any softness and elasticity. I can see it working as a sealant (ROO/leave-in on wet hair), but it's not gonna be the same as natural oils.

My skin reacts terribly to petroleum jelly and mineral oil (and everything else that is a by-product of oil refining), so I wouldn't even try it on my hair.

lunalocks
January 10th, 2019, 09:39 AM
I use generic baby oil (smells lighter than the name brand, and is thinner than regular mineral oil) on my ends, maybe 2 feet up after washing when ends are still damp, to seal in moisture. I also rub a few drops on my hands and smooth on ends at night before final bunning, if I remember and have time. This and catnip leave in rinse after washing instead of conditioner has helped my hair get longer and be stronger.

littlestarface
January 10th, 2019, 10:12 AM
I think its the act of massaging it in, cuz I see the same thing too but a lot of these people will say "its cuz of this oil that my hair is long" which they genuinely think that but not true, its genetics, its the massage and you will notice a ton of them will say they had long thick hair when they were small cuz their moms would take really good care of their hair not only with oiling but the washing too but they think it was the oil. My opinion anyway.