PDA

View Full Version : Curly/wavy baby hairs but straight hair?

Knightly
January 9th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Last night I washed my hair and let it air dry as usual and then when I looked in the mirror I realized that my baby hairs were curly/wavy while the rest of my hair is straight. After brushing it, they were straighter but I could still see slight waves sticking out. This has been happening for a while but I didn't acknowledge it until now...
Aren't my baby hairs supposed to be straight as well? Does this mean my hair is secretly wavy? 😂
I wish I could add photos but I'm on mobile version so I can't :(

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 11:52 AM
I have the same, but not all of my baby hairs ... just to be confusing :whistle:

I don't know if it means our hair is secretly wavy; I have my suspicions with my own hair but I just don't have the energy to do extra-moisturising things like co-washing to find out :shrug:

RubberDucky
January 9th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Same here :) My hair is relatively straight but I also have shorter hairs all over that are really wavy/curly, nothing like the rest of my hair.

blackgothicdoll
January 9th, 2019, 12:22 PM
I think baby hairs just do their own thing. Mine are very silky, though more tightly coiled then the rest of my hair, and the strands are smooth and thin. The rest of my hair has pretty coarse strands.

ursaV
January 9th, 2019, 12:42 PM
My baby hairs were always curly, now they're just a bit wavy. From like 8-12 years old I actually had corkscrews in the front of my head but the rest of my hair was pin straight :lol: It is definitely much better nowadays, so it's probably just a quirk we gotta live with.

lapushka
January 9th, 2019, 01:28 PM
There's a whole thread for wispy bits, with pictures, so if you find a comparable one, that might help too?
I'll link it!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Lady Stardust
January 9th, 2019, 02:33 PM
My husband has 1a hair and it sticks straight up, no waviness at all. I don’t know whether 1b hair has wavy babies. 1c does, in my experience.

ursaV
January 9th, 2019, 04:53 PM
My husband has 1a hair and it sticks straight up, no waviness at all. I don’t know whether 1b hair has wavy babies. 1c does, in my experience.

I've been thinking of changing my hair type to 1b because of this, I imagine a slight wave in any section of the hair would push it to 1b. I've always been told I have pin straight hair but after doing more research it appears that is not entirely true. I have zero wave on my length but as my hair gets longer it starts to flip at the bottom. Also the aforementioned baby hairs making sort of a "C" shape, I guess not all my hairs are completely straight.

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 05:57 PM
I've been thinking of changing my hair type to 1b because of this, I imagine a slight wave in any section of the hair would push it to 1b. I've always been told I have pin straight hair but after doing more research it appears that is not entirely true. I have zero wave on my length but as my hair gets longer it starts to flip at the bottom. Also the aforementioned baby hairs making sort of a "C" shape, I guess not all my hairs are completely straight.

Do you have, or are you able to take, a proper hairtyping pic? 1a is very distinctive, like a shiny, silky sheet; the hair looks like it's been straightened (flatironed) even though nothing has touched it except the air. I believe true 1a doesn't get frizz as most people know it, only baby hairs sticking up if they're growing that way.

I used to work with a 7yo girl whose hair was surely 1a - the only movement was bends or kinks from her hairstyle that day (ponytail, braids, etc) and her hair was like a shiny silky sheet as soon as she took it down, without touching it. Her hair grew straight forward from the crown so even with pinning it back and wearing a headband, she always had hair in her face - it just would not submit! :grin: and not a single baby hair had any kind of wave, even the ones that she tried to keep tucked behind her ears.

Edit: I don't know whether the shiny, silky sheet effect holds up for coarse or damaged hair, but looking like it's been straightened is basically the hallmark of 1a hair.

Spikey
January 9th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Baby hairs are always significanly curlier than the rest of the hair in my expirience. Because they stick out, they aren't weighed down by the rest, and they're lighter to begin with because they are so short and small.

Lady Stardust
January 10th, 2019, 06:37 AM

I think 1b sounds about right. I used to think I had pin straight hair too, and I thought that everyone’s hair curls under or out at the bottom, but the 1a people I know don’t have any hair flip at all.