PDA

View Full Version : What will be your new regimen for 2019?

Milkchocolate
January 8th, 2019, 10:24 PM
I’m just curious to see if any of you guys are adding or trying anything new/ taking away from your current hair regimens for this new year?

I’ll start of with this..I gave myself a “big” trim....Something I haven’t done in nearly 11 years. By big I mean 3 inches! I know that doesn’t seem like much but it was the most I’ve done in forever and I’m so happy with the outcome! Bye dead ends! :)

Something brand new that I’m now incorporating is adding a detangler spray into my life. They are truly life-changing! I feel so silly for never using them before lol. The one I use is marvelous..it contains a large dose of castor oil so in a way I’m also incorporating castor oil into my new regimen. My hair has been shedding 90% less because of it :) and I save myself so much time!

I’m also re-adding sulfate shampoo once a week because my hair needs that clarifying! It’s thriving right now.

What I’ll be taking away...my fear of trimming.

What will be your new regimen for 2019?:)

Ylva
January 8th, 2019, 10:53 PM
I already started with this in the end of this year, but I will be focusing a lot on finding all the right leave-ins for me and perfecting their use. The purpose of that is to try and protect my ends more than I have done in the past. I will also be microtrimming regularly and throughout the year, as well as attempting to brush my hair less. Other than that, I don't think I'll change much, but of course, by the end of the year my hair care routine might be totally different from what it is now. That's quite unlikely though.

Missymo
January 8th, 2019, 11:26 PM
Firstly I'm going to eliminating all soaps from my care routine as they are really drying to my hair. I'm also going to Be attempting to grow herbs rosemary, peppermint, nettle, thyme and maybe sage and camomile to use as herbal rinses for my hair.
Boar brushing is going to be done daily morning and night and I will be self trimming every month in addition to having my ends trimmed every second month to deal with raggedness and maintain thickness.
To help combat levals of breakage I'm going to be only brushing my hair when dry and I'll be keeping it up in buns or braids to help avoid tangles.
Finally I hope eventually to be able to obtain a wooden brush of comb to use in the place of my wet brush.

Begemot
January 9th, 2019, 02:37 AM
- Sulfate shampoo once or twice a month, sulfate free shampooing 2-3 times a week
- CWC
- Microfiber turban and air drying
- Washing my hair upside down more often (since my scalp gets buildup otherwise)
- Deep conditioning treatment twice a month (or when needed)
- Reconstructing treatment once a month (or when needed)
- Scalp care: switching between moisturizing lotion and Monistat (1-3 times a week)
- Scalp massages when applying those mentioned above and/or before washing

I haven't been taking very good care of my hair in the past few years so my new regimen is the old regimen :D but tweaked a little, I have learned new things about my hair and what it likes and I have to adjust better to having highlighted hair.

gustavonut
January 9th, 2019, 03:37 AM
Shampoo only till my hair gets to my collarbone.
Prepoo oiling with coconut and castor oil.
Scalp massages daily
That’s it.

Alibran
January 9th, 2019, 04:59 AM
The only thing that's 'new' for me is henna rather than chemical dye, and I'm planning to start cutting it myself rather than going to the salon. Neither of those are new experiences, though, because I've done both before.

Other than that, I'm still growing, and still CG.

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 05:53 AM
Protein, but carefully. I'm planning to try only 1 product at a time, and infrequently, maybe twice a month to start (I do a full wash ~weekly).

Other than that, my routine will be pretty much the same as it was at the end of 2018 :)

ksampson321
January 9th, 2019, 06:18 AM
I decided that this year I would relax my regime. Wash when needed and try not to worry about my hair as much. I became a little obsessed last year with trying too many new things. Fermented rice water, cat nip rinses, washing only once a week, etc and my routine became unmanageable so I'm taking a break. I did start using the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner to see if that does anything for the white dots and dry winter hair but so far no real difference.

lapushka
January 9th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Same as my hair care regimen *always* is. It's all in my signature. WCC, with ROO (rinse-out oil) and LOC/LCO. I love it to bits, and most of all it works for my hair. Quite well, actually. :flower:

spidermom
January 9th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Safflower oil instead of coconut oil.
No trimming until waist length (unless my ends get trashed).
Deep treatment every couple of weeks.
Inverted scalp massage when I remember.

nycelle
January 9th, 2019, 07:36 AM
More frequent micro trim- my hair needs it.

Getting everything except the front to waist, and maintaining.

Slowly easing oils back into my routine. I need either cones or oils- not using either isn't helping me but I need to find the right balance.

Going to continue washing my hair every 3rd day as this seems to work best.

Ylva
January 9th, 2019, 09:25 AM
I decided that this year I would relax my regime. Wash when needed and try not to worry about my hair as much. I became a little obsessed last year with trying too many new things. Fermented rice water, cat nip rinses, washing only once a week, etc and my routine became unmanageable so I'm taking a break. I did start using the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner to see if that does anything for the white dots and dry winter hair but so far no real difference.

Neither of those is what Olaplex targets, so I am not surprised you haven't seen any difference. Olaplex is not a moisturizing treatment nor does it do anything about mechanical damage. :flower: It's best used on chemically treated hair. I understand you speak of shampoo and conditioner, but for those goals, I would choose a different brand and line entirely.

cestlavie
January 9th, 2019, 09:44 AM
I would love to experiment with flaxseed gel for hair treatments and make more diy hair products. I also want to try to trim my own hair when my no-trimming period (6 months) is over. Because I find that my hairdresser took more than 1 cm off which I'm not so happy about.

Katsura
January 9th, 2019, 10:00 AM
I'm currently trying to combine coney keratine shampoo with sensitive sles shampoo, and using avocado oil after the sles-shampoo when I feel like my hair needs conditioning. Something like that. I need a good routine, I hope I can figure it out.

*update*
It looks like it's going to be sles-shampoo washing, I ditched the coney keratine shampoo. DS likes to use it still.
And growing! Grow hair, grow...

blackgothicdoll
January 9th, 2019, 10:05 AM
I've recently started heavy oiling so that's definitely a keeper.
CWC to help washing out the heavy oil (I found threads on this forum for both these topics, actually!)
Still trying to figure out what to do about deep conditioning, since I want to start decreasing the time of my wash routine. I think I'll just DC in the shower with a plastic cap instead of doing the whole flaxseed heat cap thing. Hopefully this will work just as well with CWC, thought it may end up CWCC... which is fine, I need to use up so many products.
Microtrimming every three months instead of mega-trimming every three months (aka, the salon).

...That's about it. Still keeping hair stretched with braids or buns. Trying to keep it simple and leave my hair alone, for the most part.

almostghost
January 9th, 2019, 11:06 AM
I think I've finally found a fairly easy routine that both my hair and scalp are satisfied with. Within the last month or two I've switched from full monthly henna treatments to glosses every two weeks, normal shampoo+conditioner washing to CWCC, started using a shampoo brush, and started wearing stick buns most of the time. My hair has never been happier! :) I might do some occasional experimentation with herb rinses or different pre-poo oils, but I plan to stick with this routine for the foreseeable future.

unicourtney
January 9th, 2019, 11:18 AM
After experimenting with washing every 4 to 6 days for six months, I'm going back to washing every 3 days, which worked for me for years. I found that my ends were drying out too much when I stretched my washes the extra couple of days. I've also stopped oiling my hair overnight as a pre-wash because I think my hair was getting saturated in oil and couldn't absorb any deep conditioner or anything since I don't shampoo the oil out (I cowash). I am thinking about trying ROO instead, maybe with argan oil or grapeseed oil? But I'm not sure yet. Right now my hair is loving my deep conditioners and Olaplex again.

Olux
January 9th, 2019, 11:21 AM
I decided that for 6 months i will not have a haircut, instead ill trim split ends my self. I'm not dying my hair neither this year and will keep growing my natural hair. Also will continue no poo and chemical products free.

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 11:24 AM
After experimenting with washing every 4 to 6 days for six months, I'm going back to washing every 3 days, which worked for me for years. I found that my ends were drying out too much when I stretched my washes the extra couple of days. I've also stopped oiling my hair overnight as a pre-wash because I think my hair was getting saturated in oil and couldn't absorb any deep conditioner or anything since I don't shampoo the oil out (I cowash). I am thinking about trying ROO instead, maybe with argan oil or grapeseed oil? But I'm not sure yet. Right now my hair is loving my deep conditioners and Olaplex again.

When I first joined LHC, I was washing every other day. When I started double-conditioning, I found my lengths were happy with washing twice a week. With ROO added in the mix, my lengths are now happy with a full wash once a week (and washes in between are scalp washes, keeping the lengths dry). Just sharing my experience in case it's helpful :flower:

AutobotsAttack
January 9th, 2019, 11:25 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/2qqonn.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2qqonn)
[url=https://imgflip.com/i/2qqop9]https://i.imgflip.com/2qqop9.jpg (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)[url=https://imgflip.com/memegenerator]

ksampson321
January 9th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback Ylva. I guess I'm back to sulfate free shampoo and hello hydration conditioner and maybe I'll try oiling it more often the night before I wash my hair.

K

Olux
January 9th, 2019, 09:03 PM
Why are you replacing coconut oil?

Ophidian
January 9th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Olux, if you click the “reply with quote” button at the bottom of the post you want to reference, it will show up like this so it’s clear what you are responding to. Took me a minute to figure that out when I was new :). Welcome!

Why are you replacing coconut oil?

GlacierLacie
January 9th, 2019, 09:14 PM
I'm definitely washing it less since the new year! Aside from that, I'm trying my best not to brush it so much and to oil it more, and find what products work best for me.

Ophidian
January 9th, 2019, 09:34 PM
My changes for 2019:

As much I love my herbs, I am currently experimenting with a pared back routine built around scalp treatment shampoos, as I found I was needing to use them on a regular basis anyway to keep my scalp content. It will likely evolve, but here is what it looks like right now...

Twice weekly washes using a mild dandruff shampoo. I am currently using Jason’s Dandruff Relief 2-in-1 (zinc) with very good results. I have the shampoo from that line too, but the sulfur smell is not my favorite. It works well though so I will probably rotate in it now and then. I also have Nizoral on hand to use if needed but that’s pretty rare.

The length part will have to work itself out as I go - haven’t used shampoo regularly in a few years and my hair has a reaction to most conditioner that ranges from meh to hate. I imagine it will be some combination of water rinsing with occasional squeezing of suds down the length and ROO and/or conditioner used lightly on the ends as needed. I plan to still use my herbs as a semi-regular deep treatment.

I added in NightBlooming Alluvial rinse last year after I saw what my tap water was doing to my humidifier. Eeek. I like it a lot and will continue using it.

No changes to oiling, handling, or styling.

ArabellaRose
January 10th, 2019, 03:03 AM
- going to keep with my WCC/ROO/LCO routine, including keeping with the products I'm using because my hair is loving it
-monthly S&D followed by microtrim
- The change I'm making is trying not to get lazy with washing my hair, I need to keep doing it every 2 days or my ends get unhappy
- Start being more strict and making sure I clarify and deep condition once a week, my hair is happier this way
- NO HEAT 2019. In an emergency I will use my hair dryer on the cool setting but I don't anticipate needing to do that more than maybe 3 times this year.
- remember to take my hair vitamins

DaniGirl
January 10th, 2019, 12:16 PM
My changes this year is going to be trying to go curly girl and see what my waves look like. So I’m currently in the obsessive research and plan stage for wavy hairs and plotting out products to try. I want to see how much curl I can get in my hair and how much I can grow with minimal heat and behaving myself.

So I’m planning for silk pillowcases to join my routine this year. Protective braiding, moisturizing properly, using silicone and sulfate free products. This year is really for me about figuring out what works for my hair.

But first some growing out to do, and some old products to use up. They’re way too expensive to waste.

Xxanderia
January 10th, 2019, 01:03 PM
My changes this year is going to be trying to go curly girl and see what my waves look like. So I’m currently in the obsessive research and plan stage for wavy hairs and plotting out products to try. I want to see how much curl I can get in my hair and how much I can grow with minimal heat and behaving myself.

So I’m planning for silk pillowcases to join my routine this year. Protective braiding, moisturizing properly, using silicone and sulfate free products. This year is really for me about figuring out what works for my hair.

But first some growing out to do, and some old products to use up. They’re way too expensive to waste.

Let me know how this goes for you and what you end up using product wise/routine wise! I have slightly wavy hair as well that I feel could be curly if I gave it a decent go.

Also silk pillowcases are fantastic!

kidari
January 10th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Instead of doing a heavy oiling, I've been adding a few drops when I sleep at night gradually until it's wash day. It maintains my ends while I stretch washes... my hair absorbs it all by morning. Also, it saves me time on wash day as I don't have to oil it prior to washing. I did a significant chop this fall and did another healthy trim of 1-2 inches in December and I joined the no trim challenge for 2019 so that's very different for me. I've successfully been able to pare down my routine and my scalp and hair is used to twice weekly washes now. I plan to just continue this throughout 2019. The other change I've made is drying my hair on low heat after almost every wash instead of letting it completely air dry each time. I'm more about time saving now and less about obsessing. I want to grow back to waist again in 2019.

dagny
January 10th, 2019, 01:18 PM
I will continue with my twice weekly washes but with the following changes:

1. regular microtrims of 1/2 cm every 2-3 months
2. trying different oil routines to see which ones my hair favors
3. focusing on scalp care -- Innate Life scalp mask, massage, etc.
4. keeping my hair in protective styles more -- style of the month, new hair toys, etc.
5. weekly hair masks

Gisela
January 10th, 2019, 02:05 PM
First of all, I'm going to be trying out a capillary scheduled routine that is quite famous in Brazil. I've already got my monthly hydration, nutrition, and repair treatments marked on the calendar along with the products I will be using. Also did a huge clutter cleanup and got rid of a lot of products that didn't do anything for my hair, so I'll be experimenting with various new masks and oils.

I finally bought a silk hair-wrap for sleeping to minimize breakage, and I will be doing intensive weekly S&D sessions since I joined the no-trim 2019 challenge. Since I'm going no trim for a whole year, I'm going to be taking extra special care of ends.

DaniGirl
January 10th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Let me know how this goes for you and what you end up using product wise/routine wise! I have slightly wavy hair as well that I feel could be curly if I gave it a decent go.

Also silk pillowcases are fantastic!

This is my thoughts I think I could have some killer wurls and curls hiding in there that are weighed down by heavy product. So I’m really curious what it looks like on me. My hair ranges from straight with a touch of wave to spirals. But I think I’m predominately 2a/b. I think with some length and TLC I might be sitting closer to 2c/3a. Time will tell.

I’m in the research obsessively phase and plan it all out phase. So I probably won’t start anything until June or July. Complete type A personal here lol.

poli
January 11th, 2019, 12:16 AM
I'm going back to CWC + leave-in routine. I tried just to wash and condition for a bit and it works fine, but my hair is visibly better when I condition pre-poo. So old new routine for me. Looking forward to try new products too. I plan to try more from Hask and Nature Box since this lines work pretty well for me and are more available lately.

Olux
January 11th, 2019, 12:34 AM
Oh i see! :eek:
Thanks for letting me now.

Mabel
January 11th, 2019, 12:36 AM
To grow my hair back to what it was (nearly to my waist), and allow it to thicken up by giving it much TLC - give it DT once per week. Also to find a kind and talented hairdresser who will trim the damaged ends of the layers and slowly allow it to connect up... as it grows. I really hope I can achieve all that!

misslynne
January 11th, 2019, 03:16 AM
2019 will be my first year of actually paying attention to my hair and its growth. I think a lot might change this year because I'm still trying to find a routine that works best for my hair. I'll be experimenting with products, oils, and stretching washes longer (just managed to switch from every day to every other day). There's a lot that I want to try but I also don't want to get too obsessive!

Copasetic
January 11th, 2019, 06:19 AM
My big change for 2019 is NO FLAT IRONING. I know it is terrible, and doesn't work with my goal of long hair, so no more. I found the products that actually work for my hair so I don't feel like ironing is something I "need" to do anymore. But I was a total flat iron addict! My routine now is so simple and so much less time consuming; I was 3-4 times a week, air dry, and deep condition usually once a week. I am only a few weeks in but it is already so nice to be able to wear my hair natural.

guska
January 11th, 2019, 07:03 AM
In 2019 I have begun to use shampoo again! Shampooing does feel really weird after all the years of no poo. I can’t CO anymore due to scalp issues but otherwise my regimen remains unchainged.

TwilightMermaid
January 11th, 2019, 10:00 AM
I am going to continue oiling my hair every wash, and try to routinize SMTs. I have one and a half conditioners, one shampoo, and one shampoo bar that I want to use up. After that, I'm thinking about going back to WO. I loved it and I only went back to conventional because of the ease and the wonderful smells of chemical fragrance. I also want to really find which oils my hair likes.

Dark40
January 13th, 2019, 05:48 PM
This new year I'll be adding more deep conditioning masks. Same regimen as before. Doing light protein treatments once a week. Oiling it after every wash. Using my detangling spray more often.

Aeonian
February 9th, 2019, 01:29 PM
This will be the year that I'm going to grow my hair out, so I have to be more gentle with my hair by reducing blowdrying, no hairdye and certainly no fun trims (I would go to the hairdresser for fun, i loved cutting my hair) I bought a silk pillowcase, hairpin and avocado oil. Oh and Biosilk! I don't want to focus a lot on the growth, but it would be great to feel longer hair on my back in summer :)

Spar
February 9th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Shampoo, condition, and add a leave-in silicone serum daily. I've been finding that using a leave in is helping my hair SO MUCH.

Clarify once a week, protein treatment, moisturizing treatment

Shower at night, instead of in the morning, so I don't have to go to class with wet hair.

Rosy blossom
February 10th, 2019, 01:05 AM
My new routine is to do pre poo oil treatments once a week followed by with my moisturizing shampoo and use clarifying shampoo once a month. I'm trying to experiment with base oils and essential oils to see what combination works best with my hair and what will help stop the thinning of my hair from my temples and front scalp etc.

EdG
February 10th, 2019, 10:52 AM
I started putting a small amount of water on my hair (with an eyedropper) before combing. The dampness adds slip. It also helps to comb out the lint that only comes out while the hair is damp. This lint is very fine black polyester, quite different from the usual cotton lint.
Ed

nycelle
February 10th, 2019, 10:55 AM
only difference this year from last is I'm washing more frequently, 3 times a week now instead of 2 since my hair and scalp prefer it. Also, my hair is at waist now, so I'm just going to be maintaining with small trims until the sharp U shape I have, catches up to the longest middle pieces.

lilelf
February 11th, 2019, 08:43 AM
I’m just curious to see if any of you guys are adding or trying anything new/ taking away from your current hair regimens for this new year?

I’ll start of with this..I gave myself a “big” trim....Something I haven’t done in nearly 11 years. By big I mean 3 inches! I know that doesn’t seem like much but it was the most I’ve done in forever and I’m so happy with the outcome! Bye dead ends! :)

Something brand new that I’m now incorporating is adding a detangler spray into my life. They are truly life-changing! I feel so silly for never using them before lol. The one I use is marvelous..it contains a large dose of castor oil so in a way I’m also incorporating castor oil into my new regimen. My hair has been shedding 90% less because of it :) and I save myself so much time!

I’m also re-adding sulfate shampoo once a week because my hair needs that clarifying! It’s thriving right now.

What I’ll be taking away...my fear of trimming.

What will be your new regimen for 2019?:)

Oh, Milkchocolate,Iam incredibly curious as to the detangler you have been using. It sounds like just what my scraggles have been asking for. Would you be willing to share the name, please? TIA

Milkchocolate
February 15th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Oh, Milkchocolate,Iam incredibly curious as to the detangler you have been using. It sounds like just what my scraggles have been asking for. Would you be willing to share the name, please? TIA

Sorry for the late response! It is the OGX Replenishing + Water Drops 8-in-1 Mist :)

spidergoat
February 15th, 2019, 10:17 AM
I will CWC twice a week, followed by MO on the last inch of hair. I will clarify followed by a long DT twice a month. I will S&D once a month with no trims until at least the end of June. I will use only a wooden WT comb on my hair and do my best to keep it in a bun every day. Braids don't work so well for me since I have a tendency to fiddle with the tassel. I'll also continue sleeping on my satin pillowcase. I might try a bun for sleeping instead of a braid.

ETA: I'm going to try to fit in oiling my scalp four nights a week with essential oils and jojoba oil for regrowth, but I also have to work around my internship schedule, because myroots how oil so easily.

amanda_the_tall
February 15th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Going back to basics, shampoo and conditioning daily. I tried stretching washes and co washing but my super thin super fine hair can't handle it. I mean it can but it just looks like limp spaghetti noodles. Keeping the cold blow dry though!
Eta:typo

Xxanderia
May 25th, 2019, 01:07 PM
This is my thoughts I think I could have some killer wurls and curls hiding in there that are weighed down by heavy product. So I’m really curious what it looks like on me. My hair ranges from straight with a touch of wave to spirals. But I think I’m predominately 2a/b. I think with some length and TLC I might be sitting closer to 2c/3a. Time will tell.

I’m in the research obsessively phase and plan it all out phase. So I probably won’t start anything until June or July. Complete type A personal here lol.

Please, please, please start a thread when you begin to attempt it! I will definitely be following!

Begemot
May 26th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Please, please, please start a thread when you begin to attempt it! I will definitely be following!

I would be interested to see that kind of thread too! :)

Dark40
May 26th, 2019, 08:36 PM

Hey there! I've just realized that we are hair twins! My hair type is also 2c/3a naturally but I do get it relaxed. So, when it's relaxed it looks like in the 2's.

Ylva
November 23rd, 2019, 07:59 AM
I already started with this in the end of this year, but (1) I will be focusing a lot on finding all the right leave-ins for me and perfecting their use. The purpose of that is to try and protect my ends more than I have done in the past. (2) I will also be microtrimming regularly and throughout the year, as well as (3) attempting to brush my hair less. Other than that, I don't think I'll change much, but of course, by the end of the year my hair care routine might be totally different from what it is now. That's quite unlikely though.

I had no memory of what I had written in this thread, but I seem to have more or less followed my plans.

(1) I have certainly found a very good leave-in pair (Garnier Respons Argan & Almond Leave-In Cream and Joico K-Pak Color Therapy Restorative Styling Oil).

(2) Well, I have microtrimmed as well as macrotrimmed. I had a big chop in the spring, then a small trim in early June and another small trim in mid-August. I will have a third one towards the end of December.

(3) That has certainly rung true. I've mostly only brushed my hair before washing it. This has been possible thanks to (1).

MusicalSpoons
November 23rd, 2019, 08:41 AM
Protein, but carefully. I'm planning to try only 1 product at a time, and infrequently, maybe twice a month to start (I do a full wash ~weekly).

Other than that, my routine will be pretty much the same as it was at the end of 2018 :)

Yup, did that. I also added in pre-poo oiling most weeks, and occasional clarifying/chelating to set of it made any difference - the jury's out on that, still.