PDA

View Full Version : What I thought I knew about my hair - a journey - with pics!

spitfire511
January 8th, 2019, 09:28 AM
tl;dr - What I assumed about my hair because of how it USED to be was WRONG... a strand test was a SUPER good idea for me!

I've never done one of these before (because I've never taken the time to pull hair pics into one spot - so I thought this would be fun (because we all love photos right?) - and also share my :facepalm: level lesson recently.

(Disclaimer - all of this is natural - not dyed or chemically treated hair. The color variation is just that it loves to bleach in the sun! And some of that lighter hair is going a bit grey. I did used to blow-dry the heck out of it and had to when I was very short or it was unmanageable). (Further disclaimer especially for newer LHC'ers - what worked for me might not work for you - trust your hair!)

I started out here in 2010 - age 33 - relatively soon after birth of kiddo 2. I had what felt like a ton of hair then that was in pretty good condition. (These are some OLD iPhone photos so sorry they're not the best). I grew it a little and cut it (all the way back to chin) and grew it again.... LOL

https://i.imgur.com/rB9LVtZm.jpg

By 2014 it was ~ MBL and I kept it this length for a bit...This is Halloween 2015 (for texture!).
https://i.imgur.com/1LjiSwkm.jpg

Then November 2015 I cut it back to APL - and let it grow again!

This is September 2016 - the day I got divorced... (I look a little on the ragged side.)

https://i.imgur.com/bfxkpW7m.jpg

Then exactly six days later when I did that "I've had a major life change so change all the things" chop. That's back to just shy of APL from the back (looks longer than that in the front when taking a slumped over car selfie. I wasn't taking good length photos then obvs.)

https://i.imgur.com/gqscV29m.jpg

I haven't done another 'cut' since that last chop in 2016. I have done some big trims - more than an inch - I was trimming twice a year removing a good deal of the length I'd acquired and taking it back to around BSL each time.

Fast forward to the past year... I've spent LOADS more time out of doors - which is great for my mental health and terrible for my hair. My hair has always loved moisture and hasn't been super picky about shampoo etc. But last spring I noticed this section in the back of my head (that gets sun when I'm on the motorcycle or mountain bike) looked fried. So we tried layering and cutting it out. shudder: I love my hairdresser - who has been a long hair herself and gets it - but oh this was just terrible.

April 2018
https://i.imgur.com/jEwysvEm.jpg?1

(I make them cut to the middle while I frequently part to the side - so that's why one side always looks off).

I re-doubled my moisture attempts. My hair never liked coconut oil (and still doesn't seem to) so I left that out. I bought masques and did oiling to seal it all in, I clarified ... nothing was working. The damage still causes splits which I've been trying to S&D (my anxiety makes me pick through it constantly anyway).

I haven't worn my hair with it's natural wave but maybe a couple of times in the last 6-8 months because that bleached out hair would not hold ANY curl at all. I had all of these straight strands right in the middle of the waves.

This is November after a Feye's self trim (TINY trim!) I started doing ROO which my hair does seem to love - but after a day or so it just couldn't hold that moisture and felt dry and yuck again. It wouldn't hold any of my usual wave and I was wondering if I was just going to have to chop and start over. (Though I'm determined not to!!)
https://i.imgur.com/qi9pcmHm.jpg?1

And here's December.... (this one is bigger for a reason)
https://i.imgur.com/XLtfa1sl.jpg

This is probably 3-4 days post-wash and it looks okay - but all that lighter hair on top still felt just awful. SO dry. (See all those feathery bits? They felt terrible)

Since I've been spending more time around the boards than I have for several years- I ran across someone's 'help me' thread recently that suggested they needed protein - I realized - I haven't done a strand test since I joined. Like literally.

All I'll say is that if you're having trouble after what you thought was a successful routine - you might try a strand test. Turns out my hair would stretch and stretch (and then some more - seriously INCHES) and then snap. It refused to spring back at all. :disgust:

I couldn't believe it. My hair that never cared for protein - was always resilient so long as I kept it moisturized - wanted protein. (And I think we all know this could be due to the damage+environmental factors+age+who knows what else).

So a week ago I did the aphogee 2-step treatment (which is hella scary by the way when you are trying to do this with a hand held blow drier and not snap your hair off!) And bought some OGX sulfate free shampoo/conditioner with protein that I didn't use until yesterday.

Y'all - this is my hair today. Routine the same as the December photo except that December got a cool blow dry.

Air dried (My hair hasn't been this smooth air drying since high school) and divided while damp into two sections that I just gently hand twist into a barrel roll and leave on each side to dry while I work - (this is how I pull the wave out to 'straighten' it usually). The only other change I've added since Christmas is a microfiber towel that was a Christmas gift.

I seriously feel like I have my high school hair back! Which, with my age and hormones and etc - I will take for as long as I can get it. I do plan on alternating a normal/moisturizing routine with the protein so as not to protein overload. (And am open to suggestions there as I'm now apparently figuring it all out again!)
https://i.imgur.com/a0KqmPTl.jpg

So there's my scant photo journal and life lesson :sigh:. While I feel pretty silly for all the advice it's easy to dole out here and forget to use it on oneself, I'm just glad that I figured it out now and will know moving forward to always stop and re-evaluate if something seems to be changing!

CopperButterfly
January 8th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Wow! Awesome! It's great to find the thing that works!

Begemot
January 8th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Great progress! Your hair is so very lovely :crush:

Growitagain28
January 8th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Love your hair & helpful ideas!

almostghost
January 8th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Wow, your hair looks so much happier now with the protein :D congrats on the improvement, and thanks for sharing the story!

As for avoiding protein overload, I say just listen to your hair and keep doing strand tests from time to time. I usually hear that it's best to lean more toward moisturizing when your hair feels dry, straw-like, and brittle, and a strand won't stretch much at all before snapping; and to lean more toward protein when your hair is super stretchy and feels sort of gummy or squishy.

MusicalSpoons
January 8th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Wow! I'm so glad you've found something that's almost miraculous :D

Thank you also for posting this, because I've been slowly coming round to the idea that my hair might need some protein - none of my products have any protein in whatsoever and I thought all was fine. I too had never actually done a strand test, but the last few times of air drying and getting the odd strand caught made me wonder, so I did last night. It's not terrible, but it did stretch an inch or so and didn't snap back. Reading your account has given me confidence that trying a protein-containing conditioner shouldn't be too much for my hair :D so from a very selfish level, thanks for sharing your experience!

blackgothicdoll
January 8th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Your hair looks thick and gorgeous.

Could you explain the strand test? I think I know the general concept - with a strand of shed hair, pull until it breaks? If it breaks too quickly it needs moisture and if it stretches forever it needs protein, right?

Tinyponies
January 8th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Loved reading this, thanks for sharing, and so glad you’re finding what (really, obviously!) is working for you. :)

Rosy blossom
January 8th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Thank you for this information. I shall be trying a strand test, see what shows up.

spitfire511
January 8th, 2019, 11:53 AM
:crush: aww thanks you guys! This is seriously the first time I've ever really wanted to post my hair on the boards (it can be so intimidating with so many amazing heads of hair around here!!)

Wow! I'm so glad you've found something that's almost miraculous :D

Thank you also for posting this, because I've been slowly coming round to the idea that my hair might need some protein - none of my products have any protein in whatsoever and I thought all was fine. I too had never actually done a strand test, but the last few times of air drying and getting the odd strand caught made me wonder, so I did last night. It's not terrible, but it did stretch an inch or so and didn't snap back. Reading your account has given me confidence that trying a protein-containing conditioner shouldn't be too much for my hair :D so from a very selfish level, thanks for sharing your experience!

Oh MusicalSpoons let us know how it goes! I probably should have approached the treatment more gingerly - but I'd started looking at cute short styles again, so I knew I was getting desperate... probably not generally advisable and you are doing the much smarter thing! :D

Your hair looks thick and gorgeous.

Could you explain the strand test? I think I know the general concept - with a strand of shed hair, pull until it breaks? If it breaks too quickly it needs moisture and if it stretches forever it needs protein, right?

That's right blackgothicdoll and if I understand correctly it's best done on a wet shed strand? My understanding is if you pull (with the intention of stretching so not too vigorously) and it will go back to its previous length - that's a good balance. If it snaps right off, it need moisture and if it stretches too far and then breaks it needs protein. (You should also know that I always love your avatar - such a gorgeous photo - I'm not sure if you are, but you look like a dancer!)

blackgothicdoll
January 8th, 2019, 02:07 PM
:crush: aww thanks you guys! This is seriously the first time I've ever really wanted to post my hair on the boards (it can be so intimidating with so many amazing heads of hair around here!!)
That's right blackgothicdoll and if I understand correctly it's best done on a wet shed strand? My understanding is if you pull (with the intention of stretching so not too vigorously) and it will go back to its previous length - that's a good balance. If it snaps right off, it need moisture and if it stretches too far and then breaks it needs protein. (You should also know that I always love your avatar - such a gorgeous photo - I'm not sure if you are, but you look like a dancer!)

Thanks for the info - and for the compliment! I've heard that before, but my deepest darkest secret is that I can't dance at all. I've taken dance classes too - I'm just mega awkward. I can drunk salsa but that's about it haha! :D

lapushka
January 8th, 2019, 03:30 PM
That last picture especially is *gorgeous*!

Protein, who'd have guessed?

aethyra
January 8th, 2019, 04:10 PM
wooooow!!!!!! so so so healthy and alive!

spitfire511
January 8th, 2019, 04:16 PM
That last picture especially is *gorgeous*!

Protein, who'd have guessed?

Thank you!! Not me - but you probably would have if you’d had all the info!!

lithostoic
January 8th, 2019, 05:01 PM
It looks so pretty! My hair likes protein too, even my virgin hair c:

Dark40
January 8th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Wow! Your hair looks gorgeous! That is great progress!

Rosy blossom
January 9th, 2019, 12:25 AM
Ok so I tried this test, I wet a strand then stretched it, the hair stretched a little before snapping clean. Now i don't know if I need protein or not. I was one of those people who thought if my hair doesn't like coconut oil then it means it hates proteins. Only recently did I realise that's not true. Think I might do a protein test on few strands of my hair to see how it reacts.

_fred_
January 9th, 2019, 12:46 AM
That was really interesting, thank you spitfire511 ! I'm really glad you found something that works (and I'm taking this as a good reminder to test my own hair every so often!).

Also, your hair is so gorgeous!

spitfire511
January 9th, 2019, 06:14 AM
That was really interesting, thank you spitfire511 ! I'm really glad you found something that works (and I'm taking this as a good reminder to test my own hair every so often!).

Also, your hair is so gorgeous!

Thank you _fred_! I'm secretly coveting your pink now... WOW that's pretty!

Ok so I tried this test, I wet a strand then stretched it, the hair stretched a little before snapping clean. Now i don't know if I need protein or not. I was one of those people who thought if my hair doesn't like coconut oil then it means it hates proteins. Only recently did I realise that's not true. Think I might do a protein test on few strands of my hair to see how it reacts.

Yeah Rosy blossom that's hard - and I'm probably not in any position to give advice since I'm just figuring this protein thing out myself! (it might depend on what 'a little' is?) Here's an older thread from the forums that might help? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28426

Wow! Your hair looks gorgeous! That is great progress!
Thank you!! :D

It looks so pretty! My hair likes protein too, even my virgin hair c:
Yeah - that's what got me - back when I was dying I'd occasionally get issues - but I have not dyed, heat dried (I do use cool dry occasionally) or anything in YEARS! I think peri-menopause and stress are out to get me! :justy:

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Oh MusicalSpoons let us know how it goes! I probably should have approached the treatment more gingerly - but I'd started looking at cute short styles again, so I knew I was getting desperate... probably not generally advisable and you are doing the much smarter thing! :D

Will do! At the moment I'm getting frustrated trying to find a mask or even protein-ful conditioner that doesn't have silicones, mineral oil, or a ton of shea butter, and that doesn't cost a bomb :justy: but when I finally find something, if my hair turns out anywhere near as gorgeous as your last pic the hunt will be worth it! :D

blackgothicdoll
January 9th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Will do! At the moment I'm getting frustrated trying to find a mask or even protein-ful conditioner that doesn't have silicones, mineral oil, or a ton of shea butter, and that doesn't cost a bomb :justy: but when I finally find something, if my hair turns out anywhere near as gorgeous as your last pic the hunt will be worth it! :D

I always suggest The Original Mane and Tail, if they sell it where you live. It's not *super* protein-y, but I think its a decent amount.

lapushka
January 9th, 2019, 09:09 AM
Thank you!! Not me - but you probably would have if you’d had all the info!!

Don't know about that, we could have probably all helped you out; but you figured it out, and that is the best feeling of all!

spitfire511
January 9th, 2019, 09:20 AM

Hmmm - so this is one that Naturally curly recommends does it fit the bill (it looked like it did at quick glance - but also know availability could look different)? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GZB8E/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwnaturallyc-20

The only other one I found (quickly) was this one - and just because I've always loves Giovanni's tee tree shampoo when my scalp was being finicky I looked there... https://www.amazon.com/GIOVANNI-Cosmetics-Inc-Reconstruct-Nutra/dp/B00H6WENW6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547050871&sr=8-2&keywords=giovanni+nutrafix

nycelle
January 9th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous. So glad protein worked for you.

I have one shampoo with protein that use every couple of weeks to try and maintain the protein balance- I may try using it more often.

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 09:25 AM
I always suggest The Original Mane and Tail, if they sell it where you live. It's not *super* protein-y, but I think its a decent amount.

Hmmm - so this is one that Naturally curly recommends does it fit the bill (it looked like it did at quick glance - but also know availability could look different)? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GZB8E/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwnaturallyc-20

The only other one I found (quickly) was this one - and just because I've always loves Giovanni's tee tree shampoo when my scalp was being finicky I looked there... https://www.amazon.com/GIOVANNI-Cosmetics-Inc-Reconstruct-Nutra/dp/B00H6WENW6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1547050871&sr=8-2&keywords=giovanni+nutrafix

Thank you both - I'll look into those :D

nycelle
January 9th, 2019, 09:25 AM

If you can't find a conditioner, why not try a shampoo? I'm protein sensitive and use Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla shampoo every few weeks. I also have a deep conditioner with protein low on the list so it doesn't really bother my hair- but it's expensive.
Don't know if you have Carol's Daughter there, but if you do, you can check them out. Not very cheap at 10 USD (about 8 GBP) for 355ml, but it gets the job done.

Ylva
January 9th, 2019, 09:29 AM

I was so ready to throw my HG mask at you, but then you came with the shea butter! :D Darn!

I do wish the shea was something else, too, though.

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2019, 09:59 AM
If you can't find a conditioner, why not try a shampoo? I'm protein sensitive and use Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla shampoo every few weeks. I also have a deep conditioner with protein low on the list so it doesn't really bother my hair- but it's expensive.
Don't know if you have Carol's Daughter there, but if you do, you can check them out. Not very cheap at 10 USD (about 8 GBP) for 355ml, but it gets the job done.

Thanks, it has crossed my mind but my scalp is *so* picky that a conditioner is far less risky! (Your comment prompted me to search for Carol's Daughter anyway - I cannot believe how many of their products are full of cones! :bigeyes:)

I was so ready to throw my HG mask at you, but then you came with the shea butter! :D Darn!

I do wish the shea was something else, too, though.

:laugh: I suppose if I get desperate I can widen the search - it's not that it has to not contain shea butter, just I've never tried anything with shea butter in the first 5 ingredients so would rather not throw that *and* protein at my hair together.

(Augh, apologies for accidentally slightly hijacking your thread, spitfire511 :oops:)

nycelle
January 9th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Thanks, it has crossed my mind but my scalp is *so* picky that a conditioner is far less risky! (Your comment prompted me to search for Carol's Daughter anyway - I cannot believe how many of their products are full of cones! :bigeyes:)

And this is why I don't use their conditioners..lol..

MusicalSpoons
March 13th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Updating!

spitfire511 I have to thank you again for posting this thread. My change hasn't been dramatic like yours (and in fact I haven't done a strand test since before I started) but I said I'd update, so:

I found a conditioner with hydrolysed wheat protein, keratin, and hydrolysed keratin in the second half of the ingredients list (Richard Ward pro-formula volumising conditioner - does have water-soluble silicone) which I've used for 8 washes now as the first C in CWC letting it sit, and there seems to have been a gradual diminution in the number of crazy split ends in my diva hairs (the ones that are mainly from my hairline and just crumble before they reach much further than shoulder length). I also bought gelatine for a DIY treatment but haven't had the time and energy simultaneously to try it.

However spitfire511 one of your recent posts on another thread prompted me to try something more, so I bought phytokeratin to add to my conditioner - it's hydrolysed wheat, collagen and quinoa proteins, I think? Anyway, I added it to the remaining half bottle of the Richard Ward conditioner at ~2% - not entirely precise because I based the weight of the remaining condtioner on the difference between a full bottle and the opened bottle, and estimated 2% and also forgot to see the starting weight with the top off :doh: So it ended up probably somewhere between 2 and 3% (the instructions said use between 1-5%) which was okay because the conditioner wasn't super-proteiny to start with. I've used it once as the first C in CWC and let it sit for over an hour, and the following morning I couldn't stop touching my hair even before I even started detangling :o It felt soooooo smooth and bouncier than usual, and I have to say I have had very few splits in my diva hairs.

The most comparable photos I could find for a before and after type of thing were uncombed 'I woke up like this' pics - which are not exactly reliable for comparison, but the 'before' is after maybe 1 wash with the original conditioner, and the 'after' is after 7 washes with original conditioner + 1 wash with adulterated, proteiny conditioner.
[Or, they will be if Flickr decides to co-operate :shake:]
^ I might have to come back with pics. I have noticed my hair has been a bit shinier, yet frizzier and for longer (usually the frizz goes by the day after washing but this time stuck around for a few days); I wonder if it's holding onto moisture better with some protein now? :hmm:

Oh, Flickr's working. Okay, before:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7872/33494166258_6fec9a1227.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/T2LmH9)Pre-protein (https://flic.kr/p/T2LmH9)

This week:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7817/46455318085_4658ba40cb.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dM6DA6)With protein (https://flic.kr/p/2dM6DA6)

Edit: Ugh, Flickr's being temperamental. If you can't see 2 pics, clicking on the link for the missing pic(s) will take you there.

Groovy Granny
March 13th, 2019, 12:06 PM
tl;dr - What I assumed about my hair because of how it USED to be was WRONG... a strand test was a SUPER good idea for me!

I've never done one of these before (because I've never taken the time to pull hair pics into one spot - so I thought this would be fun (because we all love photos right?) - and also share my :facepalm: level lesson recently.

(Disclaimer - all of this is natural - not dyed or chemically treated hair. The color variation is just that it loves to bleach in the sun! And some of that lighter hair is going a bit grey. I did used to blow-dry the heck out of it and had to when I was very short or it was unmanageable). (Further disclaimer especially for newer LHC'ers - what worked for me might not work for you - trust your hair!)

I started out here in 2010 - age 33 - relatively soon after birth of kiddo 2. I had what felt like a ton of hair then that was in pretty good condition. (These are some OLD iPhone photos so sorry they're not the best). I grew it a little and cut it (all the way back to chin) and grew it again.... LOL

By 2014 it was ~ MBL and I kept it this length for a bit...This is Halloween 2015 (for texture!).

Then November 2015 I cut it back to APL - and let it grow again!

This is September 2016 - the day I got divorced... (I look a little on the ragged side.)

Then exactly six days later when I did that "I've had a major life change so change all the things" chop. That's back to just shy of APL from the back (looks longer than that in the front when taking a slumped over car selfie. I wasn't taking good length photos then obvs.

I haven't done another 'cut' since that last chop in 2016. I have done some big trims - more than an inch - I was trimming twice a year removing a good deal of the length I'd acquired and taking it back to around BSL each time.

Fast forward to the past year... I've spent LOADS more time out of doors - which is great for my mental health and terrible for my hair. My hair has always loved moisture and hasn't been super picky about shampoo etc. But last spring I noticed this section in the back of my head (that gets sun when I'm on the motorcycle or mountain bike) looked fried. So we tried layering and cutting it out. shudder: I love my hairdresser - who has been a long hair herself and gets it - but oh this was just terrible.

April 2018

(I make them cut to the middle while I frequently part to the side - so that's why one side always looks off).

I re-doubled my moisture attempts. My hair never liked coconut oil (and still doesn't seem to) so I left that out. I bought masques and did oiling to seal it all in, I clarified ... nothing was working. The damage still causes splits which I've been trying to S&D (my anxiety makes me pick through it constantly anyway).

I haven't worn my hair with it's natural wave but maybe a couple of times in the last 6-8 months because that bleached out hair would not hold ANY curl at all. I had all of these straight strands right in the middle of the waves.

This is November after a Feye's self trim (TINY trim!) I started doing ROO which my hair does seem to love - but after a day or so it just couldn't hold that moisture and felt dry and yuck again. It wouldn't hold any of my usual wave and I was wondering if I was just going to have to chop and start over. (Though I'm determined not to!!)

And here's December.... (this one is bigger for a reason)

This is probably 3-4 days post-wash and it looks okay - but all that lighter hair on top still felt just awful. SO dry. (See all those feathery bits? They felt terrible)

Since I've been spending more time around the boards than I have for several years- I ran across someone's 'help me' thread recently that suggested they needed protein - I realized - I haven't done a strand test since I joined. Like literally.

All I'll say is that if you're having trouble after what you thought was a successful routine - you might try a strand test. Turns out my hair would stretch and stretch (and then some more - seriously INCHES) and then snap. It refused to spring back at all. :

I couldn't believe it. My hair that never cared for protein - was always resilient so long as I kept it moisturized - wanted protein. (And I think we all know this could be due to the damage+environmental factors+age+who knows what else).

So a week ago I did the aphogee 2-step treatment (which is hella scary by the way when you are trying to do this with a hand held blow drier and not snap your hair off!) And bought some OGX sulfate free shampoo/conditioner with protein that I didn't use until yesterday.

Y'all - this is my hair today. Routine the same as the December photo except that December got a cool blow dry.

Air dried (My hair hasn't been this smooth air drying since high school) and divided while damp into two sections that I just gently hand twist into a barrel roll and leave on each side to dry while I work - (this is how I pull the wave out to 'straighten' it usually). The only other change I've added since Christmas is a microfiber towel that was a Christmas gift.

I seriously feel like I have my high school hair back! Which, with my age and hormones and etc - I will take for as long as I can get it. I do plan on alternating a normal/moisturizing routine with the protein so as not to protein overload. (And am open to suggestions there as I'm now apparently figuring it all out again!)
https://i.imgur.com/a0KqmPTl.jpg

So there's my scant photo journal and life lesson :sigh:. While I feel pretty silly for all the advice it's easy to dole out here and forget to use it on oneself, I'm just glad that I figured it out now and will know moving forward to always stop and re-evaluate if something seems to be changing!

Wow what a journey ~ good for you :applause

Your hair looks amazing :love:

So sorry I missed this when it was posted; not sure how I did :hmm: