PDA

View Full Version : I'm having really bad luck with my hair -starting to lose hair again

Capricornhem
January 8th, 2019, 09:04 AM
As some of you may know, I've been dealing with hair loss and was on a mission to get my hair back. My hair was finally growing back once I sorted out my iron and vitamin D deficiency. Unfortunately, I'm losing my hair again out of nowhere and it's become so thin.

I've had to cut 3 inches to get it to look a bit thicker and I'm so down about it all. Hair loss is a sensitive topic for me and I've spent a lot of years crying about my hair. I'm starting to believe that I'm not meant to have a decent amount of hair and length. I've become so insecure and I've lost myself. I no longer feel feminine.

I just had to vent. I've spent all day crying about this.

lapushka
January 8th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Are you on top of the blood testing + iron shortages? Or... not? I fear it's got something to do with this again.

Cutting it won't make it thicker, so I wouldn't if I were you.

I know it's not easy, but hang in there! :flower:

spitfire511
January 8th, 2019, 09:42 AM
So many hugs to you! I've got no advice, just hugs and positives vibes hoping that you continue to dig in and are able to figure it out!

Rosy blossom
January 8th, 2019, 02:38 PM
As some of you may know, I've been dealing with hair loss and was on a mission to get my hair back. My hair was finally growing back once I sorted out my iron and vitamin D deficiency. Unfortunately, I'm losing my hair again out of nowhere and it's become so thin.

I've had to cut 3 inches to get it to look a bit thicker and I'm so down about it all. Hair loss is a sensitive topic for me and I've spent a lot of years crying about my hair. I'm starting to believe that I'm not meant to have a decent amount of hair and length. I've become so insecure and I've lost myself. I no longer feel feminine.

I just had to vent. I've spent all day crying about this.

Are you taking any vitamins specifically for hair growth at the moment? I've suffered from hair loss for years, started around teenage years only had a pause when I became pregnant then the post partum shed was enough to make me cry all the time. Only recently did I look into some vitamins that could help my hair from falling excessively. I'm taking biotin and msm and it's reduced my shedding quite a lot.

Viola_sororia
January 8th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Are you taking any vitamins specifically for hair growth at the moment? I've suffered from hair loss for years, started around teenage years only had a pause when I became pregnant then the post partum shed was enough to make me cry all the time. Only recently did I look into some vitamins that could help my hair from falling excessively. I'm taking biotin and msm and it's reduced my shedding quite a lot.

A word of warning about biotin- Look up the recommended amount for your sex and age. If you take too much, it can cause serious acne issues. The US government has a recommended daily amount of micronutrients table which is a very useful resource.

lithostoic
January 8th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this :c If you haven't already, get your hormone levels tested. This isn't part of routine blood testing so you have to ask.

CrowningGlory
January 10th, 2019, 01:51 AM
I am so sorry you're dealing with this again and I understand your feelings. I had a major shed about 8 years ago now due to low ferritin and I'm only recently started feeling that I have my hair back (although I can't seem to get it below waist without it looking thin - but I'll take waist). I know I would be devastated if my hair started falling out again. So, firstly, big hugs.

Secondly, I think you should treat this as a separate issue to your last hair loss episode and get it checked out. Bloodwork, and whatever else needs to be done to sort out what is going on. If it turns out to be the same issue again, then it would seem that you need more time or a different treatment to resolve the issue, but don't assume it's the same as last time in case it turns out to be something totally different. The longer you leave it before getting it seen to, the worse it may get.

Thirdly, while many of us do feel more feminine with long hair, or more ourselves, try to remember that the person you are remains the same with or without hair. I know it's hard but it is what's on the inside that really counts. When I thought I was never going to stop losing hair, I started looking at wigs and was surprised at the lengths and styles available. No, it's not your hair that you've put time and care into, but it can help you feel more feminine and more like yourself if the worst happens. I know once I realised this and made it my back-up plan I didn't feel so helpless or despondent about something I had no control over. (And I never needed to purchase a wig but it was good to know that something was available that would make me feel pretty again.)

Cate36
January 10th, 2019, 10:17 PM
There is a way out... you need to go and see a trichologist.. ty and get one that deals with herbal treatments rather than medications.. but I PROMISE they can get to the root of the problem. Don't give up. Go to your doctor, get a full blood test inc hormone, and take it with you to a trichologist appointment. With the right treatment, in 6 - 8 months you could be in a different place.. right now.. it can give you some hope.. all my heart is with you..please keep us updated. But DO take the time to go.. it's not overly expensive for an initial appointment and there IS hope.

Alissalocks
January 10th, 2019, 10:23 PM
I hope you feel happier very soon... :flower: I'm sure you'll find great advice here, if there's any to be found. :grouphug:

Rosy blossom
January 11th, 2019, 02:02 AM
A word of warning about biotin- Look up the recommended amount for your sex and age. If you take too much, it can cause serious acne issues. The US government has a recommended daily amount of micronutrients table which is a very useful resource.

Thank you.

bparnell75
January 11th, 2019, 09:55 AM
I hear you. Dealing with same issues. I think it is just age and genetics for me. I have decided that there are other issues to focus on and I have found a couple of products that sprinkle on the scalp and cover up the balding spots. I don't wear it down and I decorate with pretty toys that help me feel better. I resent every hair that abandons my head.

Cate36
January 11th, 2019, 09:35 PM
I just had a chat with a lady that lost her hair.. she told me what she did to help.. a range of things already mentioned here re diet.. but also, black seed oil.. she started using black seed oil and bamboo shampoo. I have not tried Bamboo shampoo.. but after doing a small bit of research on blackseed oil - internally and externally.. was enough to make me buy some and start it today. It is said, as a quip, to cure everything but death..why don't you try it? I know in these situations, that trying something.. rather than doing nothing.. can at least get us through a day, and give hope X

I'll keep you updated on my progress with it..

lapushka
January 12th, 2019, 07:26 AM
I just had a chat with a lady that lost her hair.. she told me what she did to help.. a range of things already mentioned here re diet.. but also, black seed oil.. she started using black seed oil and bamboo shampoo. I have not tried Bamboo shampoo.. but after doing a small bit of research on blackseed oil - internally and externally.. was enough to make me buy some and start it today. It is said, as a quip, to cure everything but death..why don't you try it? I know in these situations, that trying something.. rather than doing nothing.. can at least get us through a day, and give hope X

You keep doing stuff on impulse because "someone told you this or that". I wouldn't do that if I were you, but maybe that's just me. :flower: The best thing for your hair is patience and it will sort itself out.

aethyra
January 14th, 2019, 11:32 PM

Oh My Cate! I read your new thread and saw how depressed you were. I was going to tell you about black seed oil,
then read through the entire response pages and did not want to tell you to take anything else since there are concerns that you are diving into so many new treatments, l I take it internally and also dabbed a bit along my part today, at edges, nape, etc. I just started it 2 weeks ago and it definitely helps with
slowing down the shedding.

fluffyshidah
February 22nd, 2019, 01:57 AM
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this :c If you haven't already, get your hormone levels tested. This isn't part of routine blood testing so you have to ask.

I agree with lithostoic, I too at first couldn't point out the cause of my hairloss and after checking my hormone levels I found out I was estrogen dominant. My doctor put me on progestins but I'm hoping to switch to bioidentical progesterone cream soon. Apparently estrogen dominance can cause hairloss/brittle hair.

spidermom
February 22nd, 2019, 08:30 AM
I understand how distressing this must be, but please remember - you are not your hair. I'm sure that you have many good qualities.

colormehappy
February 25th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Having gone through my own hair loss for over five years, I know what you're going through. I just wanted to agree with the posters that said to get some in-depth blood work done that isn't just your basic panel at a GP's office. I got my hormone levels tested (all of which were low), as well as my zinc and copper. I had a very high level of copper and a low level of zinc, which definitely contributed to my hair loss. I've been on Chinese herbs for my hormones and high doses of zinc, and I've seen a definite improvement in how much hair I was losing each time I washed. However, the really big change for me was when I started taking a methylated B vitamin complex every day. I didn't get tested for methylation issues, mainly because I was sick of doctors at that point, but that is what really halted the hair loss and when I started to see new growth.

My thoughts are with you!

Lizabeth94
February 25th, 2019, 08:26 PM
I'm so sorry, I know how stressful it can be. In my late teens i lost a bunch of hair due to Topamax which i had been on for several years for migraines. It grew back when I stopped taking it, but I just started a medication this month called Amovig for my migraines that can also cause hairloss, and judging from people's complaints online it can be very severe and very sudden (loosing 50% withing 3-5 months). I'm very nervous and struggling emotionally, because although I love the medication so far and its definitely helping, I don't want to be bald either. I work as a swim instructor, where hats and wigs are not practical, so if I loose my hair I'll have no choice but to walk around with my bald spots showing at work. :wail:

I agree with everyone's suggestions to start a hair supplement. Increasing your protein intake can help too. But definitely keep following up with your doctor until you get to the bottom of whats causing it. I originally stopped taking hair supplements in September 2018 when I chopped my hair. I reluctantly decided to restart supplements and go back to eating at least 100g of protein a day, hoping it will help give my hair a boost and prevent or reduce hair loss in case I get hit with that side effect.

Remember that hair does not define who you are, its merely an accessory that we (everyone on LHC) all have a passion for. Theres nothing wrong with wearing a hair topper, extensions, or a wig if your natural hair is being a bit stubborn and uncooperative. I have a couple of wigs and sets of extensions myself that I sometimes wear when I'm not at work and not having a migraine, since my hair has been extremely short for years as coping mechanism for my scalp pain.

fluffyshidah
February 26th, 2019, 03:56 AM
Btw Capricornhem don't be discouraged with hairloss right after seeing hair growth. I too have been dealing with hairloss for over 8yrs. What I do notice is once our hair follicles start "working". Growing out new hair, it kinda activates the telogen phase for the hair that's actively growing. So it does seem like you're undergoing a massive shed. Keep up with your routine, don't give up yet for at least another 3-9mths. Hair growth is a long and painful process and as long as the follicles are not dead there is hope!

February 26th, 2019, 04:25 AM
Cutting mine made them thicker and better quality. My bald patch also got smaller but I just can't get rid of it *sighs*. So it's not so black and white. If you won't fix your health you'll still have problems but cutting your hair is very healthy for hair... Works with nails too. Makes them thicker. Or at least it works for me.

Are you on top of the blood testing + iron shortages? Or... not? I fear it's got something to do with this again.

Cutting it won't make it thicker, so I wouldn't if I were you.

I know it's not easy, but hang in there! :flower:

Lizabeth - Yeahh, I kind of got into wrapping my hair... And, believe it or not, it actually increased my hair growth. Not sure how it works o_O. Headscarves for the win... Here's a gal that's wrapping because she has PCOS https://youtu.be/2cRGpgAIfNQ

fluffyshidah
February 26th, 2019, 05:28 AM
Cutting mine made them thicker and better quality. My bald patch also got smaller but I just can't get rid of it *sighs*. So it's not so black and white. If you won't fix your health you'll still have problems but cutting your hair is very healthy for hair... Works with nails too. Makes them thicker. Or at least it works for me.

Me too! Though usually (not always) a cut/trim is an illusionary effect. Since we have sudden massive sheds, hairs that manage to grow long are way less than what's on our scalp. But if it's better for our well being to see thickness first rather than length it's a good way to go. I'm trying to find a balance between thickness and length visually. I hate it when people tell me that my hair is "heavy" just because of the skinny thickness when it's long. I can only wish for hair that is thick and heavy!