PDA

View Full Version : Best bbb for distributing natural oils?

Rapunzel_to_be
January 8th, 2019, 03:18 AM
Hello everyone😊
Some of you might have seen my previous and recent bbb post. I thought I’d make a new one and ask if you lovely people have any recommendation in brands models of a bbb that works well for distributing natural oils. I’m buying one as I’m trying to go longer between washes (tried everything else regarding extending washes, but nothing has helped so far). My hair is between hip/tailbone length and wavy and thick.

I would appreciate everyone’s recommendations as I will order one online and won’t see the brush before I’ve received it.

🌷🌷

lapushka
January 8th, 2019, 04:46 AM
I have a nameless one. Oh yeah! I got that one from our local hair dresser at the time, together with a full BB round brush. So it's good quality, but the regular one is a mixed BBB because that is what she recommended for my hair. Yes, I remember now. I was always under the impression I got that somewhere but could never quite remember where! Darn, how memories can be so weird. Tsk.

Kent do good ones, I think. And there's of course Mason Pearson, but you don't have to go that expensive for a first brush!

Danglish
January 8th, 2019, 06:58 AM
I used to have a Mason Pearson specifically suited to fine hair. Distributed oils, all right. Made me into an outright oil slick in no time... Too much for me, but if you're doubting the quality vs price of MP, let me tell you it definitely worked as promised

Rapunzel_to_be
January 8th, 2019, 08:30 AM
I have a nameless one. Oh yeah! I got that one from our local hair dresser at the time, together with a full BB round brush. So it's good quality, but the regular one is a mixed BBB because that is what she recommended for my hair. Yes, I remember now. I was always under the impression I got that somewhere but could never quite remember where! Darn, how memories can be so weird. Tsk.

Kent do good ones, I think. And there's of course Mason Pearson, but you don't have to go that expensive for a first brush!

I actually saw one at a store, no specific brand I think, it’s a more economic store, but I was afraid of buying it in case it wasn’t good quality.

I’ll look into Kent, thanks😊 But are MPs better since they cost more or is it just a brand thing?

Rapunzel_to_be
January 8th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I used to have a Mason Pearson specifically suited to fine hair. Distributed oils, all right. Made me into an outright oil slick in no time... Too much for me, but if you're doubting the quality vs price of MP, let me tell you it definitely worked as promised

Oh so there is not doubt it can distribute oils alright 😅

MusicalSpoons
January 8th, 2019, 08:58 AM
I have a Kent BBB, round brush, stiff bristles - fab for scalp massage and simulating oil production (like my scalp needs any help with that :rolleyes:) but when I experimented with actually making an effort one week to properly distribute the oils, the sebum only ever got to about ear/neck length with the BBB. My fingers got it down to about shoulder-length in one or two preening sessions after that at the end of the week :shrug: The experiment was to see if the BBB truly did distribute the natural oil because my lengths have never seemed to respond well to it, and that week gave me my answer! I wonder if a soft brush might have helped at all, but it's not something I'm currently thinking about trying again, tbh.

Rapunzel_to_be
January 8th, 2019, 12:51 PM
I have a Kent BBB, round brush, stiff bristles - fab for scalp massage and simulating oil production (like my scalp needs any help with that :rolleyes:) but when I experimented with actually making an effort one week to properly distribute the oils, the sebum only ever got to about ear/neck length with the BBB. My fingers got it down to about shoulder-length in one or two preening sessions after that at the end of the week :shrug: The experiment was to see if the BBB truly did distribute the natural oil because my lengths have never seemed to respond well to it, and that week gave me my answer! I wonder if a soft brush might have helped at all, but it's not something I'm currently thinking about trying again, tbh.

Oh I had no idea it stimulates more oil production... I definitely do not need that😅😅

lapushka
January 8th, 2019, 03:34 PM
I actually saw one at a store, no specific brand I think, it’s a more economic store, but I was afraid of buying it in case it wasn’t good quality.

I’ll look into Kent, thanks�� But are MPs better since they cost more or is it just a brand thing?

I think Kent brushes are "known" for their quality as well, so it's a difficult question. My grandma used to have a MP mixed BBB and it lasted her her lifetime (got it when she got married).

TwilightMermaid
January 8th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Do BBBs work for curly hair? I can see it creating a looot of damage if used dry but if you are genle with dentagling...

Viola_sororia
January 8th, 2019, 04:31 PM
I started out with a generic BBB off of amazon that I got for about $11. It was squarish with red colored wood for the handle and it did not have a cushioned base. The bristles were, unfortunately, very mushy and it took a very long time to brush my hair with it. Several years ago, I bought myself a Mason Pearson brush and never looked back. Distributes my hair great.

TwilightMermaid- BBB is not for detangling, but for smoothing and distributing hair oil down the length of hair. It would be necessary to pull apart the curl before you begin (which might not fit in to the CurlyGirl method if that's what you follow). I have 2c/3a hair and brushing works fine for me because I wear my hair up every day and comb out any tangles before brushing. I don't know what you mean by "if used dry", but I brush my hair dry without adding anything onto it.

GlacierLacie
January 8th, 2019, 04:32 PM
I've been using this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GCZ4XC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) brush as a cheap alternative to a real BBB, it seems to work great! The ends of the bristles are thick, perfect if you've got a sensitive scalp like me. It did however break one me once, but I added a little super glue and it was fixed.

Cg
January 8th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Kent makes very good bbbs, and I can recommend that brand.

Spikey
January 8th, 2019, 10:09 PM
I've had the same BASS brush for the past ten? years. The bristles are just the right amount of resistance for me. It does absolutely murder my curl pattern but I get great sebum distribution and it doesn't cause any damage to the hair itself, just frizz.

Rapunzel_to_be
January 9th, 2019, 08:54 AM
I started out with a generic BBB off of amazon that I got for about $11. It was squarish with red colored wood for the handle and it did not have a cushioned base. The bristles were, unfortunately, very mushy and it took a very long time to brush my hair with it. Several years ago, I bought myself a Mason Pearson brush and never looked back. Distributes my hair great.

TwilightMermaid- BBB is not for detangling, but for smoothing and distributing hair oil down the length of hair. It would be necessary to pull apart the curl before you begin (which might not fit in to the CurlyGirl method if that's what you follow). I have 2c/3a hair and brushing works fine for me because I wear my hair up every day and comb out any tangles before brushing. I don't know what you mean by "if used dry", but I brush my hair dry without adding anything onto it.

Thanks, I think I’m going to go for an MP brush. Do you use one with only boar bristles? And how should I decide on if it should be soft or stiff? My hair is not fine, but not coarse either, so an inbetween thing I guess.

Rapunzel_to_be
January 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Kent makes very good bbbs, and I can recommend that brand.

Thank you, I’ve been checking out their brushes too, but it’s so hard to choose... I’m contemplating between a MP and Kent brush

Rapunzel_to_be
January 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM
I've had the same BASS brush for the past ten? years. The bristles are just the right amount of resistance for me. It does absolutely murder my curl pattern but I get great sebum distribution and it doesn't cause any damage to the hair itself, just frizz.

Thank you, I haven’t heard of BASS brushes, but I’ll look into it now😊

TwilightMermaid
January 9th, 2019, 09:22 AM
I understand a it's for spreading oil:) I see now that the curls would have to be detangled first, or it could be damaging if you just went un-detangled. As in dry, I meant without being spritzed with water to comb. Thank you this was helpful!

lapushka
January 9th, 2019, 10:07 AM
I understand a it's for spreading oil:) I see now that the curls would have to be detangled first, or it could be damaging if you just went un-detangled. As in dry, I meant without being spritzed with water to comb. Thank you this was helpful!

Maybe right before a wash? That is how I used to use mine, because I couldn't deal with the fluff that followed. You are going to destroy your curls with a BBB, for sure.

Jools69
August 4th, 2020, 08:35 AM
I’ve just recently bought for the first time a Mason Pearson BBB. I purchased the pocket version first to see how I got on with it before buying the larger and dearer one, since I’ve never used a BBB before. I’m finding that it’s making my hair more shiny and softer. Also, I have a flaky scalp with psoriasis and I’m finding the flakes are being picked up by the brush. So I have less dandruff. I love it and at the moment, this size suits me, too. :D

Feral_
August 4th, 2020, 11:18 AM
I have one from Lidl that I bought on a whim for £1.50 ! Originally I thought it would do as a spare brush in my car but it’s my go to brush now. It’s really good with medium bristles which penetrate to my scalp but are soft enough to be kind on the hair. It also has a 3 year guarantee... that’s German quality for you :thumbsup:

Jools69
August 4th, 2020, 12:37 PM
I have one from Lidl that I bought on a whim for £1.50 ! Originally I thought it would do as a spare brush in my car but it’s my go to brush now. It’s really good with medium bristles which penetrate to my scalp but are soft enough to be kind on the hair. It also has a 3 year guarantee... that’s German quality for you :thumbsup:

Sounds like you picked up a good bargain there. :)