PDA

View Full Version : Question for the curlies...

Simsy
January 6th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Has anyone ever heard of using body lotion or skin moisturizer on hair? Has anyone tried it and what were your thoughts? First impressions, caveats if any, warning signs?

For a little background, a friend on Facebook apparently tried it and had some success with her short type-3 curls. I’m a little hesitant to give it a crack myself so I thought I would appeal to the collective wisdom here.

blackgothicdoll
January 6th, 2019, 07:42 PM
There was another thread on this elsewhere. I don't think I've tried it since I've gone natural, but most lotions have glycerin and wax, two things my hair is not a big fan of. I use shea butter on my skin and that's kind of a skin moisturizer, and I also use it on my hair if that counts. But I don't get my Palmer's out and put it on my hair. Too gunky.

littlestarface
January 6th, 2019, 07:44 PM
I mean I guess it would do if your in a jam and have nothing else to put and without it your hair will be a total frizz ball.

Cate36
January 6th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Yes it's not an issue, and you can also go the other way around. Just make sure whatever brand you go for is natural (not loaded with chemicals) - the body conditioners can sometimes be a little too heavy for hair.

When I last went to the hairdresser, he gave me shea butter leave-in conditioner for my hair.. I didn't like it for hair, so I use it on my body with good results :)

lithostoic
January 6th, 2019, 10:05 PM
Not a curly but funny story ... I accidentally used lotion on my hair nearly every night for about 3 weeks. My lotion and hair moisturizer smelled exactly the same bc they were from the same line and I was doing it in the dark so I never noticed I accidentally swapped the bottles XD Hair looked great though not weighed down or anything and I'm type 1!

Simsy
January 7th, 2019, 03:06 AM
Thank you all, I might leave this until I can’t get my hands on anything else. But it’s good to know I’m probably not going to destroy my hair in the process.

enting
January 7th, 2019, 04:47 AM
Yup, I've used hand lotion on my scalp and hair. No noticeably damaging effects. It's maybe a little greasy, depending on the lotion, but sometimes that's a good thing.

lapushka
January 7th, 2019, 06:05 AM
It might be slightly more "coating", but... hey, I don't think it's going to be that different. :shrug: