PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on wooden brushes vs the wet brush.

Missymo
January 6th, 2019, 03:19 PM
I've been hearing on YouTube and other places that wooden brushes and combs are really good for hair. Does anybody know if they would be a better option than brushes like wet brush or tangle teaser?

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 04:02 PM
I have all 3 and I love all 3. I use my TT and WB the most though, in fact all the time. It's been ages since I last used my wooden bristle brush. I have a small one from The Body Shop (back when they didn't yet come with ball-tipped ends).

blackgothicdoll
January 6th, 2019, 04:05 PM
My hair is very picky with brushes, but I did not like wooden brushes. I got the small brush from here:

https://www.tekitalyus.com/

They had a good review from holistichabits on YouTube who has gorgeous long, thick hair, but I found that where the bristle met the cushion would snag my hair.

The TT I wanted to like so bad, but the bristles were just too close together, literally tore out my hair when used in the shower. Haven't tried it on smaller sections though.....

I have this wet brush:

https://frizzoff.com/collections/accessories-products/products/flexy-brush

I don't know if that's the same type you're talking about, but again was not a fan of all of those little bristles and brushing my hair in the shower pretty much doesn't work.

Now I use a large denman brush, which I've taken every other row out of. That works great on wet hair. On dry hair, I use a wide tooth wooden comb.

Now I have super curly hair so keep in mind my experience is on that side of the house. I think wooden brushes are supposed to work really well for straight hair.

ETA: As a note I bought the small wooden brush with regular pins from tek, and I definitely should have gotten long pins, but I was being cheap lol.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 04:46 PM
My hair is very picky with brushes, but I did not like wooden brushes. I got the small brush from here:

https://www.tekitalyus.com/

They had a good review from holistichabits on YouTube who has gorgeous long, thick hair, but I found that where the bristle met the cushion would snag my hair.

The TT I wanted to like so bad, but the bristles were just too close together, literally tore out my hair when used in the shower. Haven't tried it on smaller sections though.....

I have this wet brush:

https://frizzoff.com/collections/accessories-products/products/flexy-brush

I don't know if that's the same type you're talking about, but again was not a fan of all of those little bristles and brushing my hair in the shower pretty much doesn't work.

Now I use a large denman brush, which I've taken every other row out of. That works great on wet hair. On dry hair, I use a wide tooth wooden comb.

Now I have super curly hair so keep in mind my experience is on that side of the house. I think wooden brushes are supposed to work really well for straight hair.

ETA: As a note I bought the small wooden brush with regular pins from tek, and I definitely should have gotten long pins, but I was being cheap lol.

I believe the Felicia Leatherwood brush is a very popular one in the natural community as well.

Missymo
January 6th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Thanks. I already have a wet brush and a tangle teaser, but I find that the tangle teasers bristles are too short to go through my hair properly, so it does not detangle properly and it catches a lot on hair strands.

My wet brush is better at getting tangles out as the bristles are a lot longer and don't catch on my hair as much as the tangle teaser, but I really have to be careful with it still as it does still seem to break my hair a fair bit if I'm not really gentle.

TreesOfEternity
January 6th, 2019, 05:57 PM
I have a wooden brush which I use to spread oils in my hair, but never to detangle as wood bristles don’t bend and it snaps my hair whenever it encounters a knot.

CopperButterfly
January 6th, 2019, 11:15 PM
I love muy widu wooden brush. It is so nice and glides through my hair. I also have a wet brush which I do prefer on wet hair.

Begemot
January 7th, 2019, 01:41 AM
I don't have a wood comb at the moment but I manage just fine with using just the Tangle Teezer. Previously I preferred to use wood comb during winters since it helps with static hair. Now I just detangle using my fingers and then brush. I love how gentle TT is. I don't think I could live without a brush, I love brushing my hair too much...

lapushka
January 7th, 2019, 07:42 AM
I love my brushes so much I have put my wide-tooth comb to the side, have been doing that for a few months, maybe even half a year already. Not sure. Yes, the wet brush dupe I have did not tug at my scalp one bit and I didn't need super moisturizing conditioners to get through my hair. With the WT comb it was a struggle every darn time.

Deborah
January 7th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I use my WIDU wood bristle brush every day and adore it. After I wash my hair I use my Wet Brush, as it detangles wet hair very easily. I have lots of other brushes, some very good brushes, but I just use the WIDU and the Wet Brush these days.

ursaV
January 7th, 2019, 05:13 PM
I think wooden brushes are the best if you're going to dry detangle. I was recently given a wet brush for Christmas and the only thing I use it for is detangling after I swim in the pool, and my hair is usually heavily conditioned. It's not perfect but it is definitely a huge improvement over using a regular brush on wet hair, if you prefer to detangle wet or damp. If you get a wooden brush I would go for the good quality ones recommended on this thread like Tek and WIDU. I have a cheap one and I feel it is starting to break my hair, so I'm going to have to splurge soon anyway.

Missymo
January 8th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Would Bass Bamboo be considered good quality? Like this one. https://www.biome.com.au/natural-styling-products/15483-bass-bamboo-large-hair-brush-oval-736473100632.html

RoseChantel
January 8th, 2019, 08:50 AM
My hair is fine and breaks easily. I use wood combs to detangle when my hair is wet and use a wood Tek brush when my hair is dry. My hair has gotten a lot healthier and doesn't break nearly as much since I started using only wood combs and brushes a year ago.

ursaV
January 9th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Would Bass Bamboo be considered good quality? Like this one. https://www.biome.com.au/natural-styling-products/15483-bass-bamboo-large-hair-brush-oval-736473100632.html

I've never used that brand, but it seems like it has good reviews on LHC and other websites. It appears that there are some with little balls on the ends of the pins and some without, though I may not be able to see very well from the pics. Either way personally I would recommend buying one without balls on the end, because sometimes they catch on my hair.

Joules
January 9th, 2019, 01:05 PM
I used to use wooden brushes. They did nothing for my hair. I can't understand the science and the logic behind them, like, why are they so magical? Is it because they reduce static? Well, I never had static issues with plastic brushes. Wooden brushes gave me as much mechanical damage and splits as generic plastic brushes with little bubbles on the bristles did. Tangle Teezer was the only thing that made a difference in that department.