PDA

View Full Version : Bbb with wooden base or soft base?

Rapunzel_to_be
January 6th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone😊

I’ve finally decided to splurge on a bbb, but I can’t decide on which one. I’ve been reading on LHC and I see that a wooden base bbb is recommended by some members. I would like to know why or what the difference is between a wooden base one and a soft base one?

And also which bbb do you guys use and recommend?😊😊

DweamGoiL
January 6th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Are you referring to the brush pad or the handle?

Rapunzel_to_be
January 6th, 2019, 11:29 AM
The brush pad😊

Chromis
January 6th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Wooden. Soft base loses more bristles and I found I got hairs snagged in it.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Mine has a soft base, but I also have a mixed BBB (with nylon bristles in between).

It's been ages since I used it! It doesn't agree with my texture. I no longer like to use it; much prefer my TT (Tangle Teezer) and WB (Wet Brush).

Rapunzel_to_be
January 6th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Ah ok so that’s the main difference then? Would you happen to recommend a specific brand?😊

Rapunzel_to_be
January 6th, 2019, 01:04 PM
lapushka said:
Today 01:40 PM
Default Re: Bbb with wooden base or soft base?
Mine has a soft base, but I also have a mixed BBB (with nylon bristles in between).

It's been ages since I used it! It doesn't agree with my texture. I no longer like to use it; much prefer my TT (Tangle Teezer) and WB (Wet Brush).
Are the mixed bbb more suitable for a specific hair type? Or thickness?
I’ve never actually tried a bbb, but I’m excited to try one!
Sadly my hair doesn’t like the TT, I found that it caused more breakage etc:(

SwanFeathers
January 6th, 2019, 02:05 PM
lapushka said:
Today 01:40 PM
Default Re: Bbb with wooden base or soft base?

I have a TT, a WB, and 5 BBBs. 3/5 are 100% boar bristle, and 2 are mixed variety. 2 have soft rubberbases and 3 have wooden, i prefer the wooden as they dont snag my fine hair. If the tangle teezer caused breakage for you, I would recommend a very soft 100% boar brush. I've found that drug stores like walgreens and CVS are the best place to find them, or the ethnic section of bigger stores. (Also, dont trust the packaging even if it says 100% boar bristle, examine the bristles in person!)

blackgothicdoll
January 6th, 2019, 02:32 PM
(Also, dont trust the packaging even if it says 100% boar bristle, examine the bristles in person!)

Putting emphasis on this. BBBs are not recommended at all for people with curly hair types, but I use one occasionally to smooth styles like buns. However, in my personal experience I recieved a lot of mid-shaft splits and breakage from nylon brushes. I also had mechanical damage that was bad enough to effect my curl pattern in the front where I repeatedly smoothed it down with the nylon brush. These bristles are a lot harder and sharper and can do bad for your hair. It might just be something that my hair strands do not like, but I would just advise to avoid the nylon bristles since they aren't even supposed to be in that brush in the first place.

You can observe whether there are nylon bristles by looking for thick, shiney bristles that are flat on the ends. BBBs should resemble, well, hair, of course. Also, if you rub it against the top of your arm, it will not scratch your skin.

Rapunzel_to_be
January 6th, 2019, 02:55 PM
I have a TT, a WB, and 5 BBBs. 3/5 are 100% boar bristle, and 2 are mixed variety. 2 have soft rubberbases and 3 have wooden, i prefer the wooden as they dont snag my fine hair. If the tangle teezer caused breakage for you, I would recommend a very soft 100% boar brush. I've found that drug stores like walgreens and CVS are the best place to find them, or the ethnic section of bigger stores. (Also, dont trust the packaging even if it says 100% boar bristle, examine the bristles in person!)

Thanks so much for great help! I Will look for a soft boar brush! Oh wow I didn’t know that, I’ll be sure to examine the bristles in person! So basically a bbb from MP is not a good idea for my hair as they have soft bases..

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 02:56 PM
You can observe whether there are nylon bristles by looking for thick, shiney bristles that are flat on the ends. BBBs should resemble, well, hair, of course. Also, if you rub it against the top of your arm, it will not scratch your skin.

:confused: my BBB by Kent Brushes has the majority of bristles thick, shiny and blunt-ended, except for a few slightly finer. They are the brushmaker for the Queen (not why I bought from them though, lol!) and I bought directly from their website so I have no reason to doubt it is what they say it is, and when I've washed it, it smells of ... well, wild animal (blergh). I wonder if the blunt-endedness and stiffness is one reason it didn't seem to do my hair any good? :hmm: It really feels like bristles, not hair. And scratches my skin as I test it just now :rolleyes: :doh: In fairness though I think if it were less stiff, the bristles would never have penetrated to my scalp and I'd have been annoyed anyway!

Rapunzel_to_be
January 6th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Putting emphasis on this. BBBs are not recommended at all for people with curly hair types, but I use one occasionally to smooth styles like buns. However, in my personal experience I recieved a lot of mid-shaft splits and breakage from nylon brushes. I also had mechanical damage that was bad enough to effect my curl pattern in the front where I repeatedly smoothed it down with the nylon brush. These bristles are a lot harder and sharper and can do bad for your hair. It might just be something that my hair strands do not like, but I would just advise to avoid the nylon bristles since they aren't even supposed to be in that brush in the first place.

Thanks this was so helpful!! I’ll definetly examine the brush carefully in person! Thanks so much 😊

blackgothicdoll
January 6th, 2019, 03:24 PM
:confused: my BBB by Kent Brushes has the majority of bristles thick, shiny and blunt-ended, except for a few slightly finer. They are the brushmaker for the Queen (not why I bought from them though, lol!) and I bought directly from their website so I have no reason to doubt it is what they say it is, and when I've washed it, it smells of ... well, wild animal (blergh). I wonder if the blunt-endedness and stiffness is one reason it didn't seem to do my hair any good? :hmm: It really feels like bristles, not hair. And scratches my skin as I test it just now :rolleyes: :doh: In fairness though I think if it were less stiff, the bristles would never have penetrated to my scalp and I'd have been annoyed anyway!

Huh. Well them now I'm just super confused LOL. Let me see if I still have my old nylon brush and I can put the two side by side. Pretty sure I trashed it though. >.<

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 04:01 PM

I have iii hair and I have tried a regular BBB, it doesn't get through my hair. Now a TT doesn't get through my hair in one go either, but that BBB didn't get through - at all! So that is why I bought a mixed one, and it's lovely. But I get "fluff" when I brush with it and I don't like that, especially on my F hair.

Have you ever tried a Wet brush (you can use that on dry hair as well). And the maker of WB has one for "dry" hair as well and it is a mixed BBB.

SwanFeathers
January 6th, 2019, 04:09 PM

There are different stiffness grades for boar bristle as they are harvested from different areas of the boar's body. the weather resistant topside has harder fur than the softer legs and belly. They are also cut during manufacturing to make the brush top even. While pricey brands can afford the stiff top bristles, cheaper brands tend to use the softer bristles and then add nylon to reinforce them. Shopping specifically for a soft brush should avoid this problem.

Chromis
January 6th, 2019, 04:12 PM
I have iii hair and I have tried a regular BBB, it doesn't get through my hair. Now a TT doesn't get through my hair in one go either, but that BBB didn't get through - at all! So that is why I bought a mixed one, and it's lovely. But I get "fluff" when I brush with it and I don't like that, especially on my F hair.

Have you ever tried a Wet brush (you can use that on dry hair as well). And the maker of WB has one for "dry" hair as well and it is a mixed BBB.

I know most curly folks don't like BBB anyhow, but for the record, they really are not meant to actually go all the way through your hair. They are more for smoothing the canopy and distributing oils, not for detangling.

That aside, I have one from Conair that I really like. I don't use it all that often, but when I really want it neat and polished it is nice for smoothing.

blackgothicdoll
January 6th, 2019, 04:14 PM
There are different stiffness grades for boar bristle as they are harvested from different areas of the boar's body. the weather resistant topside has harder fur than the softer legs and belly. They are also cut during manufacturing to make the brush top even. While pricey brands can afford the stiff top bristles, cheaper brands tend to use the softer bristles and then add nylon to reinforce them. Shopping specifically for a soft brush should avoid this problem.

That definitely clears things up. Thanks for the info!!

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Ohhhh I see, yes that makes sense. This was second from the bottom of their range - I think it cost me £11, more than I'd usually spend on something I wasn't sure would work but I hoped it meant at least I could trust I got a genuine decent one. Seems it did, phew! :) I suppose a baby's brush would have the softer bristles then, but I don't know that it would do me any good anyway.

Seeing as this is a BBB thread, do people who find it does distribute oil use a soft or stiff brush?

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 04:42 PM
I know most curly folks don't like BBB anyhow, but for the record, they really are not meant to actually go all the way through your hair. They are more for smoothing the canopy and distributing oils, not for detangling.

That aside, I have one from Conair that I really like. I don't use it all that often, but when I really want it neat and polished it is nice for smoothing.

The mixed BBB did go through fine, though, with a few tries, but as a detangler... no, it didn't do that good a job anyway, and maybe that's exactly why I got "fluff" every time.

I still have the brush though. :)

TatsuOni
January 7th, 2019, 07:38 AM
I prefer one with a wooden base because it looses less bristles, is easier to clean and feels more gentle to my hair.

I have a more expensive one with harder bristles and I'm sure that its 100% real. I bought another one before that and after examining it I was sure that more than half of the brush was nylon, so I "forced them" to give me my money back, so that I could buy this one instead.

The easiest test if you've already bought one (you can't do this in the store) and aren't sure if it's nylon or pure boar bristle, is to to remove one or a few of the thicker bristles with a tweezer. Burn it with a lighter. Real bore bristle smells like burnt hair and nylon smells like burnt plastic.

Rapunzel_to_be
January 7th, 2019, 09:16 AM

I’ve never tried a WB actually, I have zero knowledge about them tbh, but I’ll defineltly check it out. Do you use a WB for detanglinf purposes?
I detangle with a wooden comb and then I have a brush with wooden bristles that I sometimes use as well, but I thought getting a bbb might help me when it comes to distributing the oils cause no matter how much I’ve tried to not wash my hair everyday, it just doesn’t work, and my hair will be scalp will be greasy on the second day, so hopefully I’ll benefit from the bbb. My hair type “was” a 2c/3a, but as it is not all in one length it’s loosened up a bit and I tend to try to “brush out” or “braid out” my wurls just to avoid the tangles 😄

Rapunzel_to_be
January 7th, 2019, 09:19 AM
I prefer one with a wooden base because it looses less bristles, is easier to clean and feels more gentle to my hair.

I have a more expensive one with harder bristles and I'm sure that its 100% real. I bought another one before that and after examining it I was sure that more than half of the brush was nylon, so I "forced them" to give me my money back, so that I could buy this one instead.

The easiest test if you've already bought one (you can't do this in the store) and aren't sure if it's nylon or pure boar bristle, is to to remove one or a few of the thicker bristles with a tweezer. Burn it with a lighter. Real bore bristle smells like burnt hair and nylon smells like burnt plastic.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind😊 I haven’t really come across many bbb in actual stores in the country I live (might not have searched enough tho) so I might end up buying one online if I don’t find one here (of good quality), therefore I thought it was best to ask for recommendations so I’d be sure I get a quality bbb with real boar bristles😊

lapushka
January 7th, 2019, 02:16 PM
I’ve never tried a WB actually, I have zero knowledge about them tbh, but I’ll defineltly check it out. Do you use a WB for detanglinf purposes?
I detangle with a wooden comb and then I have a brush with wooden bristles that I sometimes use as well, but I thought getting a bbb might help me when it comes to distributing the oils cause no matter how much I’ve tried to not wash my hair everyday, it just doesn’t work, and my hair will be scalp will be greasy on the second day, so hopefully I’ll benefit from the bbb. My hair type “was” a 2c/3a, but as it is not all in one length it’s loosened up a bit and I tend to try to “brush out” or “braid out” my wurls just to avoid the tangles ��

Yes I put my hair up in a towel after washing (for about 30 min.) and then I detangle with the wet brush (dupe). It is amazing for getting through the hair without tugging at the scalp.

If that's how you're going to use a BBB, for smoothing oils down the hair shaft, why not go for it?

But I'd still use the other brushes for detangling.

Rapunzel_to_be
January 8th, 2019, 01:41 AM
Yes I put my hair up in a towel after washing (for about 30 min.) and then I detangle with the wet brush (dupe). It is amazing for getting through the hair without tugging at the scalp.

If that's how you're going to use a BBB, for smoothing oils down the hair shaft, why not go for it?

But I'd still use the other brushes for detangling.

Ill definetly try a WB for detangling, thanks for the tip😍

Yesss, I can’t wait to get my hands on a bbb and hope with all my heart that it’ll help my greasy scalp a bit 🙏🏻

lapushka
January 8th, 2019, 04:48 AM
Ill definetly try a WB for detangling, thanks for the tip��

Yesss, I can’t wait to get my hands on a bbb and hope with all my heart that it’ll help my greasy scalp a bit ����

It made my scalp oilier than a regular brush, this was back when I was way oilier (in my late teens early 20s), but maybe that's the idea. :hmm:

DaniGirl
January 8th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Yesss, I can’t wait to get my hands on a bbb and hope with all my heart that it’ll help my greasy scalp a bit 🙏🏻

I’ve been using mine about 3 weeks, and I’ve definitely noticed a slight improvement using mine once a day. Scalp isn’t quite as oily and my roots aren’t either. It hasn’t been dramatic thought just not quite as bad as normal.

Good luck, hope it helps!

MusicalSpoons
January 8th, 2019, 10:08 AM
It made my scalp oilier than a regular brush, this was back when I was way oilier (in my late teens early 20s), but maybe that's the idea. :hmm:

Ditto for me - there is a theory that if you use it and leave the oil to soak in overnight it helps ... It doesn't for me, not one bit!

Rapunzel_to_be
January 8th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Oh no, I definitely do not need an oilier scalp😅

Rapunzel_to_be
January 8th, 2019, 12:49 PM
I’ve been using mine about 3 weeks, and I’ve definitely noticed a slight improvement using mine once a day. Scalp isn’t quite as oily and my roots aren’t either. It hasn’t been dramatic thought just not quite as bad as normal.

Good luck, hope it helps!

Do you use a specific brand of bbb? One u could recommend?:)

lakhesis
January 8th, 2019, 01:02 PM

I feel the need to emphasize this as when I first started looking for a BBB I totally thought it will replace regular brush. Definitely not the case.
I now only use it if my hair is oily before wash - so I brush to distribute the oil, but I don't really go anywhere afterwards, as in my case it doesn't hide the oiliness one bit, it just spreads it :D but I have the type of hair that looks oily quite easily - very fine and blonde.

DaniGirl
January 8th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Do you use a specific brand of bbb? One u could recommend?:)

I use a Goody BBB it’s very basic and in my opinion not the best quality brush.

What I like it for I separate my hair into sections and brush from root down. Both top and under neath. I’m not super oily, but there is enough that by brushing it down and not letting it sit on my roots and scalp. I can wear my hair on the day before wash without feeling like my hair is a greaseball. When I used a nylon brush it just seemed to make my first 1-2 inches of hair look super oily and the ends would be a bit drier.

You might also be at your limit for stretching washes. I have to wash twice a week or every 4th day. I tried pushing to 5 and I can’t do it, but I hate how my hair looks and feels. If I do it, it has to be a day at home. I tried for a month and my hair hated it so I went back to twice a week.