PDA

View Full Version : ACV rinse left my hair frizzy?

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Hello everyone. So my problem is today i noticed my roots were looking and feeling a little limp maybe going on to feeling a little oily. I shampooed on Friday so not sure why my hair suddenly felt like this, maybe CSC isn't for me? Anyway today I decided to do just a ACV rinse to clean my hair a little take oily feeling away. I didn't use anything else it was just wash with water then rinse with ACV then rinse it out again with water. Now my hair is looking dry and frizzy. I thought ACV were good for frizz control and to add shine. Where did I go wrong? Should I have used conditioner alongside the rinse? I diluted 2tbsp ACV in 2 cups of water. Was the ratio wrong?

Ophidian
January 6th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Have you used ACV before? Not everyone responds well to it. If I use it once my hair is ok with it, but twice and it feels like there’s a residue and my hair feels both greasy and frizzy. That said, maybe you might just need a different dilution. You could experiment by making it a little weaker next time and see if that helps. You can also try white vinegar, which works better for some people.

spidermom
January 6th, 2019, 11:14 AM
It depends. For example, here where the water is soft, a vinegar rinse makes my hair crazy fly-away and dry, like a witch who was doing loop-de-loops on her broomstick over the desert all freaking day. In Ohio where the water is hard, a vinegar rinse made my hair smooth and more manageable.

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Have you used ACV before? Not everyone responds well to it. If I use it once my hair is ok with it, but twice and it feels like there’s a residue and my hair feels both greasy and frizzy. That said, maybe you might just need a different dilution. You could experiment by making it a little weaker next time and see if that helps. You can also try white vinegar, which works better for some people.

No it's my first time using it, I guess I should have diluted the solution more.

Spidermom, where I am I believe we have hard water so I'm not sure what happened lol.

renia22
January 6th, 2019, 11:43 AM
ACV isn’t going to clean your hair, it can help some people with mineral deposits, in the proper vinegar to water ratio, if you have well / hard water or something, but it’s not going to remove oil or clarify your hair of certain product build up or anything. It’s one of those persistent myths that circulates. But it’s an acid, not a detergent or chelating agent, and some people have negative effects on the hair from it. I think the oil wasn’t removed, and the ACV maybe wasn’t diluted properly as mentioned above, and the combo of hair not being clean & the ACV probably wasn’t a good combo, and caused the frizzy feel.

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 11:49 AM
ACV isn’t going to clean your hair, it can help with mineral deposits if you have well / hard water or something, but it’s not going to remove oil or clarify your hair of certain product build up or anything. It’s one of those persistent myths that circulates. I think the oil wasn’t removed, and the ACV maybe wasn’t diluted properly as mentioned above, and the combo of hair not being clean & the ACV probably wasn’t a good combo, and caused the frizzy feel.

I only shampooed my hair 2 days ago and didn't use any products but for some reason my hair felt a bit oily. Usually I can go a week roughly without needing a clean so I thought ACV might help. I'll try a weaker dilution next time.

renia22
January 6th, 2019, 11:54 AM
I only shampooed my hair 2 days ago and didn't use any products but for some reason my hair felt a bit oily. Usually I can go a week roughly without needing a clean so I thought ACV might help. I'll try a weaker dilution next time.

Did you use something new/ different on Friday? Maybe something more moisturizing near the roots than usual? Yeah maybe try weaker solution and see if that helps a little?

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Did you use something new/ different on Friday? Maybe something more moisturizing near the roots than usual? Yeah maybe try weaker solution and see if that helps a little?

I used the Condtioner Shampoo Conditioner method after oiling my hair to get rid of oil properly. Maybe the conditioner was too heavy for my hair?

renia22
January 6th, 2019, 12:28 PM
I used the Condtioner Shampoo Conditioner method after oiling my hair to get rid of oil properly. Maybe the conditioner was too heavy for my hair?

Possibly, especially if used near/ on the roots. I don’t know if this is true in your case, but I know for me if I use conditioner close to the roots, especially the more natural ones with natural oils/ butters, my hair tends to get greasy faster, sometimes even that same day. For example, today I used Alba Botanicals Gardenia conditioner because I’m trying to use it up, not near the roots or anything, but I know my hair is going to look oily/ greasy a lot faster, then with some of the foam ones that I use that are out now, those I can use near my roots and my hair doesn’t really get oily quickly. Not sure if that’s what happened in your case, but maybe?

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone. So my problem is today i noticed my roots were looking and feeling a little limp maybe going on to feeling a little oily. I shampooed on Friday so not sure why my hair suddenly felt like this, maybe CSC isn't for me? Anyway today I decided to do just a ACV rinse to clean my hair a little take oily feeling away. I didn't use anything else it was just wash with water then rinse with ACV then rinse it out again with water. Now my hair is looking dry and frizzy. I thought ACV were good for frizz control and to add shine. Where did I go wrong? Should I have used conditioner alongside the rinse? I diluted 2tbsp ACV in 2 cups of water. Was the ratio wrong?

I don't think it's the CWC method, necessarily.

When did you last clarify (aka sulfate wash)?

ACV you normally need to do in your wash routine, not just somewhere in between (that can have goodness what effect). It also might be that it's not your thing, but I would try it in a regular wash routine first before you make that decision.

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Yes I did use it all over to help get rid of oil I had applied beforehand. So my hair obviously doesn't like the conditioner on the scalp. Only reason I used it on my scalp to begin with is because I read how shampoo sometimes doesn't remove all of the oils from your hair when it's been applied for massage purpose etc but conditioner can help followed by shampoo.

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I don't think it's the CWC method, necessarily.

When did you last clarify (aka sulfate wash)?

ACV you normally need to do in your wash routine, not just somewhere in between (that can have goodness what effect). It also might be that it's not your thing, but I would try it in a regular wash routine first before you make that decision.

I last clarified about a month ago. I think I'm going to stick to my normal wash routine shampoo on scalp and Condtioner on ends and see if ACV is needed for my hair care. Maybe I am one of those who won't benefit from it, I'll experiment lol.

Joules
January 6th, 2019, 01:15 PM
We have hard(ish) water, and ACV wrecked my hair. My hair was decent before that, but then for some reason I felt I should try it. I diluted it a lot, and sweet mother of Jesus, my hair became so dry and fried looking! It happened back in May, and since that I had to try 3 times as hard to make my hair halfway presentable. I trimmed off 3 inches last month, going from buttcrack length back to hip, just because it was geting unbearable, and I'm pretty sure I could have saved those inches and the awesome buttcrack length (I was so excited to hit it!) if it hadn't been for the vinegar.

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 01:19 PM
If vinegar (acetic acid) doesn't work for you but you have a specific problem or reason for trying it, you can try citric acid instead. It does depend on the chemistry of your hair and of your water whether either/both/neither work for you.

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 01:19 PM
We have hard(ish) water, and ACV wrecked my hair. My hair was decent before that, but then for some reason I felt I should try it. I diluted it a lot, and sweet mother of Jesus, my hair became so dry and fried looking! It happened back in May, and since that I had to try 3 times as hard to make my hair halfway presentable. I trimmed off 3 inches last month, going from buttcrack length back to hip, just because it was geting unbearable, and I'm pretty sure I could have saved those inches and the awesome buttcrack length (I was so excited to hit it!) if it hadn't been for the vinegar.

Oh darn! Sorry to hear that. My hair has also been fine (minus the Condtioner making hair greasy nonsense) up till now and I thought maybe ACV might help remove a bit of oil and clean my hair without me needing to shampoo it so soon. My mistake! I'll definitely be more careful with trying new routines too soon.

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 01:20 PM
If vinegar (acetic acid) doesn't work for you but you have a specific problem or reason for trying it, you can try citric acid instead. It does depend on the chemistry of your hair and of your water whether either/both/neither work for you.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

spidermom
January 6th, 2019, 03:29 PM
No it's my first time using it, I guess I should have diluted the solution more.

Spidermom, where I am I believe we have hard water so I'm not sure what happened lol.

My dilution was quite thin - 1 tablespoon vinegar to a pitcher of water.

Rosy blossom
January 6th, 2019, 03:59 PM
My dilution was quite thin - 1 tablespoon vinegar to a pitcher of water.

Well I can safely say ACV definitely removes some form of oil/build up etc my scalp is squeaky clean, hair frizzier than usual, and my ends are dry again. I had argan oil on my ends from Friday evening and they were nice and smooth pre ACV rinse, now they're dry. On the plus side what little flakes I was starting to get has well and truly been diminished. Downside is the frizzy and dry hair.

Rosy blossom
January 7th, 2019, 02:36 AM
Well a quick update for anyone who might benefit from this, I woke up today and brushed my hair out, hair seems somewhat back to normal. It isn't frizzy anymore (Thank God), it just feels it's usual dry/clean self after I've washed it. I did sleep on a silky pillow last night for the first time, I don't know if that helped with the frizz Lord knows. My hair does look more puffy as if it's gained volume which I'm quite happy about. I think because I used ACV for the first time my hair didn't know how to react and maybe the ratio I used was too strong to begin with for my hair type. So next time I use it (maybe once a month) I'll dilute the solution a little more and maybe try it with Condtioner or something. I was worried I've ruined my hair with ACV with all the frizz and dry ends etc So I'm glad that's not the case! :)

Rosy blossom
January 7th, 2019, 02:38 AM
Forgot to add thank you all for replying and helping me figure this out!

Joules
January 7th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Oh darn! Sorry to hear that. My hair has also been fine (minus the Condtioner making hair greasy nonsense) up till now and I thought maybe ACV might help remove a bit of oil and clean my hair without me needing to shampoo it so soon. My mistake! I'll definitely be more careful with trying new routines too soon.

Maybe my experience is weird and my hair is all backwards, but for me a good clarifying shampoo is so so so much healthier than most DIY recipes. My fave is Pantene Aqua Light for oily hair (the sulfiest sulfate you can possibly imagine, with citric acid high in the ingredient list to help with hard water). I just wish I discovered it sooner :( shampoos aren't bleach-level evil, they're just cleansing things, they won't destroy your hair.