PDA

View Full Version : More questions about ingredients

Sparkles122
January 6th, 2019, 09:55 AM
First I just want to say that starting to post on this forum has helped me learn so much. One of the specific things ive become most interested in is silicone products vs nonsilicone products. Ive been researching alot to the point where most of the time I am able to recognize a silicone in the ingredients however there are some products which I am unsure. One of those products is the Herbal Essence Body Envy Shampoo. Is methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone silicones? I dont know but for some reason I feel like I read that somewhere they were? Being that ive read so many articles I cant seem to find where it said this or if it even said this. I ask specifically because I like to do a non silicone wash every other silicone wash. My Biolage hydrasource seems to do an ok job of this but I want to try other things. So if anyone has an suggestions of a cheap non silicone shampoo let me know.

https://i.postimg.cc/gwYHtTht/15978857-E4-FF-49-C7-833-F-22-DB25-EB4-BBE.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gwYHtTht)

Ylva
January 6th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Those are preservatives, not silicones.

Sparkles122
January 6th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Those are preservatives, not silicones.

Ah! Thank you. I think the “o-n-e” at the end of it is what was throwing me off

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Yep Ylva is right, of course, rookie mistake. I fell for that one at first too, and wondered, so you're not alone! :flower:

Lady Stardust
January 6th, 2019, 11:06 AM
I think there was a thread about those two ingredients recently and some people having allergic reactions to them - I might be remembering wrong but it might be worth doing a search. Sorry I can’t remember the thread title. Maybe that’s why you remembered reading something about them?

Ylva
January 6th, 2019, 11:09 AM
I think there was a thread about those two ingredients recently and some people having allergic reactions to them - I might be remembering wrong but it might be worth doing a search. Sorry I can’t remember the thread title. Maybe that’s why you remembered reading something about them?

Yes, it was titled something like "Found the reason to my hair loss - methylisothiazolinone" or something like that.

Personally, these two preservatives I'm most cautious about when it comes to skin contact. This comes from someone who doesn't avoid parabens.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 11:24 AM
I think those 2 preservatives are in just about every product I have. I'm fine with them, personally, doesn't mean everyone is, but... I have no issues with them.

Sparkles122
January 6th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Ohh yes I remember that thread. Back when I was in my early 20s I would use the herbal essence body envy shampoo all the time with no issues (my hair was probably the best it had ever looked). I just wanted to be sure it was completely silicone free to remove all the silicones that I use.

Ylva
January 6th, 2019, 11:36 AM
I think those 2 preservatives are in just about every product I have. I'm fine with them, personally, doesn't mean everyone is, but... I have no issues with them.

It's much less of a concern for someone who doesn't let conditioners anywhere near the scalp, for sure. While I don't purposely apply them ON my scalp, I do bring conditioners all the way up to the root, so some of it does come in contact with my scalp. I've never had an issue with it as far as I know, and up until the LHC, I didn't even know I was doing something "wrong". I had always done it.

Sparkles122
January 6th, 2019, 11:40 AM
It's much less of a concern for someone who doesn't let conditioners anywhere near the scalp, for sure. While I don't purposely apply them ON my scalp, I do bring conditioners all the way up to the root, so some of it does come in contact with my scalp. I've never had an issue with it as far as I know, and up until the LHC, I didn't even know I was doing something "wrong". I had always done it.

What are the side effects of those ingredients?

Sparkles122
January 6th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Oh I just noticed that it is also in my pantene sheer volume shampoo and that is my next favorite shampoo to my beloved biolage hydrasource. Ive also been using the pantene sheer volume for years and havent really noticed any issues

Alibran
January 6th, 2019, 12:15 PM
What are the side effects of those ingredients?

If you're sensitive to them, they can cause itching and flaky scalp, but not everyone is sensitive to them, so you'd have to try it and see. Some people have no reaction to them at all, others can't handle them in anything that touches their scalp, and others are fine with them as long as contact is relatively brief. The conditioner I use for deep treatments, and as my main conditioner when I wash, has them, and I don't have any problems. I always use one without them as a leave in, though, because I put leave in all the way to my roots.

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Oh I just noticed that it is also in my pantene sheer volume shampoo and that is my next favorite shampoo to my beloved biolage hydrasource. Ive also been using the pantene sheer volume for years and havent really noticed any issues

In that case you're probably not sensitive to them :) Apparently they're restricted to rinse-out products in the EU (? I think I read) but shampoos fit that definition for sure!

Ylva
January 7th, 2019, 03:51 AM
I came across the thread while browsing: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148315

Maybe you’re interested in reading it.

lapushka
January 7th, 2019, 06:11 AM

Then don't let anything scare you. If it works in your hair, it's more than fine!

nycelle
January 7th, 2019, 07:47 AM
I remember that thread..

Anyway, I have one shampoo and conditioner with them, the Curlyworld line from Lorraine Massey.

They're amazing products- leave my hair clean and well conditioned and I haven't had any reaction to them when washed out.
BUT, when I used the conditioner to STC, my neck broke out. It says it it can be used as a leave-in so I was surprised at this.

Reading the ingredients there's a few in there that aren't in my other products, so I'm still not 100% sure if it's the M&M that caused it, or something else like: Selaginella Lepidophylla Extract (which I've never seen before) or the Rosa Damascena Flower Oil.

But whatever it was, I no longer use it to STC or leave any of it in, and I won't with any products that contain M&M.