PDA

View Full Version : My haircut is the most perfect and beautiful thing this world has ever seen

MamaLou
January 6th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit. I still wanted to share this with you because there are really good hairdressers in this world. I got a haircut (just a cut, no washing/styling/etc) last thursday and I was a bit nervous about it. I asked her to take of 3 to 4 centimeters and she took of 3 to 4 centimeters. I asked her to give me a straight hemline and she gave me a straight hemline! I asked her to not give me any layers and she did not give me any layers!! My hair looks amazing and I'm so happy with the haircut she gave me :) It's a little above bra strap length right now and I'm excited to see it grow this year :) I'm not sure yet if I'll share pictures because of privacy reasons, just trust me that it is amazing ;)

So now you guys also have a positive story about hairdressers after reading so many negative stories on this forum!

MamaLou
January 6th, 2019, 05:49 AM
I'm excited to hear your hairdresser stories as well ^^

illicitlizard
January 6th, 2019, 06:19 AM
Yaaaaayyy!! I'm so glad you got the cut you wanted!! I've been really lucky I don't think I've had a hairdresser not listen to me with regards to cutting (colour is another matter haha) in a solid few years. It's always great to be listened to, especially when you're trusting a stranger with scissors!

Eastbound&Down
January 6th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Same for me! I got mine trimmed on the 3rd and she did a fantastic job! She did exactly what I wanted and my hair feels amazing. I think it all comes down to communication and being firm about what you want. When I went for my consultation, I made sure I told her about my reservations about going to a salon and very clearly told her what I wanted. She was perceptive and scheduled my appointment for a week later.

Begemot
January 6th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Glad to hear your hairdresser is so good to you and you are happy with the results :) finding a good hairdresser can be a tricky thing.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I got ones that listened, I got ones that didn't.

I'm glad your cut went well, and that she only took off what you wanted! :D

Ylva
January 6th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Congrats on your nice haircut and for having found a good hairdresser who listens to you! :)

I'm happy with my hairdresser as well, but there are certain things I must train her in, still. :lol: Speaking of which, is it OK for me to request a simple straight cut so that she doesn't make it look more natural by cutting sideways (with the scissors pointing up at an angle) after removing the length? I don't mind it, but I don't think it's ideal either in terms of having the thickest possible hemline (I need that) as well as preventing split ends. The splits don't really matter in my ends anymore as this year I'm getting frequent trims again, but I'm thinking of cutting just the ends off of some naturally former layers, as they feel pretty tangly and crap, and I want those fresh ends to be as strong as possible.

unicourtney
January 6th, 2019, 11:51 AM
It's so nice to read about positive salon experiences here. I think long hair looks incredible when the ends are kept fresh. Going to a salon should be relaxing and fun!

I have only had one bad stylist ever. I asked for a 3 inch cut with shears and no layers. I left with a razored 4 inch cut with a stupid layer that made my ends look so thin, which is exactly what I said would happen when I requested no layers. This was last May when I was still reeling from damage and breakage from the year before. 3 months later I had the worst split ends of my life and I blame the razor for that.

My longtime colorist put me with my current stylist, who listens so carefully to what I want and is always enthusiastic about me having long, healthy, multicolored hair. I am convinced that the other guy was just a bad apple who didn't understand that my hair was damaged. Everyone else has just wanted me to leave at the end of the service looking and feeling great.

Lady Stardust
January 6th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Congrats on your nice haircut and for having found a good hairdresser who listens to you! :)

I'm happy with my hairdresser as well, but there are certain things I must train her in, still. :lol: Speaking of which, is it OK for me to request a simple straight cut so that she doesn't make it look more natural by cutting sideways (with the scissors pointing up at an angle) after removing the length? I don't mind it, but I don't think it's ideal either in terms of having the thickest possible hemline (I need that) as well as preventing split ends. The splits don't really matter in my ends anymore as this year I'm getting frequent trims again, but I'm thinking of cutting just the ends off of some naturally former layers, as they feel pretty tangly and crap, and I want those fresh ends to be as strong as possible.

Yes it’s absolutely fine to ask her that. My hairdresser suggested it when I first started going to her and it’s made a big difference to how my hair looks, even when it was pixie short.

It’s lovely to see a positive thread about hairdressers :) Mine is very hot on communication, she discusses what we’re going to do down to the last quarter inch, whether I want a square or angled cut etc, if we take quarter of an inch off the front it will mean half an inch at the back to square it up - it’s very relaxing that way because I don’t have to watch every move she makes. I’ve been going to her for about 8 years and have never had any nasty surprises. She has exceptional skill and talent and really loves what she does.

DaniGirl
January 6th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Yiva do you mean point cutting? Or sliding the scissors down the shaft at an angle? Actually either way just tell them nope totally fine to say that.

Ylva
January 6th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Yes it’s absolutely fine to ask her that. My hairdresser suggested it when I first started going to her and it’s made a big difference to how my hair looks, even when it was pixie short.

Nice! I will be requesting that then, or at least bringing it up and we'll then see what she thinks about the idea. Perhaps she has just assumed I don't want that. She's not a longhair after all.

Yiva do you mean point cutting? Or sliding the scissors down the shaft at an angle? Actually either way just tell them nope totally fine to say that.

I don't know what point cutting is, but no, I don't mean sliding the scissors. Just first cutting the length off, then going over the same area again with the scissors angled like / to create a more natural-looking hemline. But yeah, I will be requesting to opt out of that next time. :)

blackgothicdoll
January 6th, 2019, 01:08 PM
I'm just here to say I love this thread title lol.

Congrats on your haircut and awesome stylist. :)

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Yay MamaLou I'm so pleased you had such a great experience!

Nice to hear about some others having great experiences too. Do we have a longhair-approved hairdresser directory somewhere? Seems like it could be really useful.

Btw MamaLou I understand your reservations about posting pics - most of us just post the back of our heads, and some others blank out their face to show the more front angles without showing their own faces. Obviously it's entirely your own choice but just thought I'd put those couple of options out there :flower:

DaniGirl
January 6th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Yes that’s point cutting, scissor sliding is a method of thinning and layering

spidermom
January 6th, 2019, 03:26 PM
I've been so lucky with my hair stylists that it's a little hard to believe some of the stories I've seen here. Why would a person who depends on repeat business to make a decent amount of money ruin somebody's hair on purpose? I've seen the story told so many times by so many different people over the years that I have to accept that it happens, but it shouldn't.

My stylist is awesome. She cut my hair nearly a year ago, and it still falls right into place like a good cut should.

spidermom
January 6th, 2019, 03:27 PM

That's called slithering, I believe.

DaniGirl
January 6th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Yeah couldn’t remember the word for it other than to make sure it’s never done to my hair had it happen once and the splits and breakage were brutal, was almost as bad as the one and only time a stylist used a razor for texture. I’ve had bad hair twice in my life and they were both cause of those cuts. Once at each stylist before I found my fave when I lived away from my mom for 7 years.

I know I’ve been very lucky with my hair and stylist experiences as well. I think most of that is my mom always having done my hair and growing up with it though. Though my latest was amazing as well.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 04:44 PM

Point cutting, I thought, was getting a chunk and cutting into it upwards so as to "sharpen" the ends.

DaniGirl
January 6th, 2019, 04:49 PM
No you can point cut in large or small pieces.the most common way you see it is when the hairdresser slides their fingers down a section of hair to just the ends and will make small angled snips to soften the ends, it’s so you don’t have a straight flat line to your hair. It also gives it a bit more texture. It can also be done with the fingers a bit further up and a more exaggerated snipping. But it’s always the same ends and shouldn’t take out chunks of hair. Just enough that your hair won’t have a flat straight line.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 04:55 PM
That's what I meant, you take a chunk of hemline, and cut upwards into it. Right? To "soften" or sharpen the individual ends. I think we're talking about the same thing. ;)

DaniGirl
January 6th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Yeah I think we are. There are actually several different ways to point cut depending on the amount of curl and texture of the hair.

MamaLou
January 8th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Thank you for sharing your stories!! I really enjoy reading them.

Entangled
January 8th, 2019, 04:36 PM
I just had a great haircut! I came in without a specific length in mind and so my stylist got out a comb marked with inches, held my hair to it, let me choose, agrees with me and had me stand up and trimmed it off nicely! She was a little rough with my hair combing and drying it, but to not be questioned on how much I want off is worth it. Then she didn’t even charge me afterwards because I had come in with freshly washed hair so she didn’t shampoo it!