PDA

View Full Version : Hair mousse on dry hair suggestions?

Margarita
January 5th, 2019, 01:37 PM
Have any you tried to put on hair mousse on dry hair? Especially in cases which curls loose or doesnt hold well? :confused:

lapushka
January 5th, 2019, 02:29 PM
I think it might... flake? What if you put your mousse in your wet hair, then when it's dry, on second day you put more in on dry... won't it flake. I would think your hair would have to be wet to put mousse in... :hmm: I'm not sure, though.

You could try and see what it does, and if it works... keep us posted!

akurah
January 5th, 2019, 02:39 PM
I feel like it would be a very sticky mess... I would dampen the hair first.

Alibran
January 5th, 2019, 03:14 PM
I've recently discovered gel refreshes my curls well if I use it on dry hair. It takes a lot of gel to get past sticky and into slippery, though. Then it dries hard, so it takes a lot of scrunching to get rid of the wet look. My hair doesn't like mousse applied wet, so I've never tried that. It might work, though. The only way to know is to try.

Cate36
January 5th, 2019, 03:30 PM
I've done it heaps and heaps of times (I stress this was before my recent damage drama) but in short, it caused no issues at all. I used fructis for curls and refreshed often with it - just put a little in my hands and scrunched.. it suited my hair fine. However, since doing a mass of research post the damage, I think there may be better options out there to revive curls and add volume. I now use things like this https://www.priceline.com.au/schwarzkopf-extra-care-fibre-therapy-treatment-80-ml and a range of other leave in conditioners that add a little volume, shine and curl.. Davroe is a great brand to investigate if you want to keep natural and chemical nasty free.. they have great volume sprays that you can use on wet or dry hair..

lapushka
January 5th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I've done it heaps and heaps of times (I stress this was before my recent damage drama) but in short, it caused no issues at all. I used fructis for curls and refreshed often with it - just put a little in my hands and scrunched.. it suited my hair fine. However, since doing a mass of research post the damage, I think there may be better options out there to revive curls and add volume. I now use things like this https://www.priceline.com.au/schwarzkopf-extra-care-fibre-therapy-treatment-80-ml and a range of other leave in conditioners that add a little volume, shine and curl.. Davroe is a great brand to investigate if you want to keep natural and chemical nasty free.. they have great volume sprays that you can use on wet or dry hair..

You can't get that brand in Belgium, can you even get that outside of AU?

DaniGirl
January 5th, 2019, 06:50 PM
I don’t recommend it depends on the mousse I guess. But I find it dries my hair out something terrible. It’s also easy to use too much and end up with a sticky disaster and yucky clumpy curls.

Alibran
January 6th, 2019, 05:11 AM
You can't get that brand in Belgium, can you even get that outside of AU?

They're in the US. It looks like they're slowly expanding worldwide.

Margarita
January 6th, 2019, 01:15 PM
UPDATE: I tried it. Well, it didnt work well. Mousse on dry hair make it frizzy. I thinked that idea because sometimes my hair lose moisture and my curls get loose and messy very fast, so i though mousse on dry hair would help but.....nope. Im afraid gel will make it worse so i dont use any. As for oils and that method with the spray with water and conditioner, it is really a good idea of putting them(one of the 2!) on hair who have been added with mousse before? I mean, oil on hair with mousse before will cause frizz or damage? Same with the spray with water and conditoner.

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Why do you think gel will make it worse? The whole point is to let gel dry, holding the hair in position, then scrunching out the crunch and the hair stays where it dried - as far as I understand it, anyway. I know my Mum used to use mousse to keep volume in her hair while she blow-dried, but nothing to do with keeping moisture in or anything. (I don't know, I'm not a curly so I'm happy to be corrected if necessary!)

Margarita
January 6th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Why do you think gel will make it worse? The whole point is to let gel dry, holding the hair in position, then scrunching out the crunch and the hair stays where it dried - as far as I understand it, anyway. I know my Mum used to use mousse to keep volume in her hair while she blow-dried, but nothing to do with keeping moisture in or anything. (I don't know, I'm not a curly so I'm happy to be corrected if necessary!)

Maybe gel will make my hair look limp or even thinner? You mean using regular gel in hair, right? Or there is a certain hair gel for curls?

Margarita
January 6th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Also, isnt gel causing hair loss and damage? Thats what i am afraid of..:/

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 01:49 PM
I have no idea but it's successful for so many people that there must be a way of applying it that brings curls out to their full potential. Hair loss and damage - again, I don't know for sure but I can't imagine it would be so successful for a huge number of curlies if it did!

Edit: as far as I know there are different types of gel with different consistencies and different holding power. It does seem to be something you might have to experiment with to find what might work best for your hair, but just like anything else in hair care, it may be worth the effort if you find something that works well. It seems mousse isn't doing what you want it to :shrug:

Margarita
January 6th, 2019, 01:54 PM
I have no idea but it's successful for so many people that there must be a way of applying it that brings curls out to their full potential. Hair loss and damage - again, I don't know for sure but I can't imagine it would be so successful for a huge number of curlies if it did!

I am not sure enough, maybe i will try and see what i can do. An idea has stuck in my head, wetting my hands enough and putting a tiny amount of conditioner and lightly scrunching my dry curls. I know putting conditioner on dry hair makes it a lot worse but, what if damp my curls before? Would it be better? Wetting my hair and then adding mousse becomes worse and i lose moisture. :confused::hmm:

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Wetting and putting more conditioner on sounds a decent idea, something I've seen mentioned often on here for refreshing curls :)

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 02:01 PM
They're in the US. It looks like they're slowly expanding worldwide.

Thank you! :) I'll keep my eye on that then.

Margarita
January 6th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Wetting and putting more conditioner on sounds a decent idea, something I've seen mentioned often on here for refreshing curls :)

Great! I will try it! Thanks.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Also, isnt gel causing hair loss and damage? Thats what i am afraid of..:/

It isn't for me, but you can't comb or brush that out, especially not right away, so be careful. Otherwise you *might* get breakage. If you put a lot in there!

I put gel in my hair on wash day, on wet hair (Sunday). Then I leave my hair alone for the rest of the week, apart from finger detangling by separating the hair in sections and stroking sheds out at night, before bed. I only brush the next wash day (Sunday, week later). By that time the gel has all but disappeared and my hair barely has hold any longer.