PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing help

Flossiebell
January 5th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone

I ‘think’ my hair type is a 2b/c maybe? But I’m not sure. My hair is straightish in places underneath, wavy in others and goes into soft ringlets in others. I’d be grateful if you could give me your opinions so I can try and make the most of my hair type. It’s just washed and airdried (several hours previously....if that matters), no products/brushing.

Hopefully link to photo below will work, I’ve never posted a pic before

https://i.postimg.cc/dQh9y8s4/ABC11-D5-E-2656-48-C6-864-C-6-E7062150-EEA.jpg

Thank you 💐

lapushka
January 5th, 2019, 02:31 PM
That is 2b for sure, and if you have ringlets somewhere, 2c. If somewhere in between, I'd go with 2b/c. For sure! That is waaay beyond 2a! Your wave pattern is too tight for that.

MusicalSpoons
January 5th, 2019, 02:37 PM
I've never seen braidwaves that tight so I'd be inclined to say 2c, especially as you say you have ringlets underneath. (But I'm no expert on wavy types.)

cjk
January 5th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone

I ‘think’ my hair type is a 2b/c maybe?

https://i.postimg.cc/dQh9y8s4/ABC11-D5-E-2656-48-C6-864-C-6-E7062150-EEA.jpg

Thank you ��

Definitely on the upper end of 2, and if you have spiral ringlets that actually places you in the 3 range.

Having a mixed hair type is particularly confusing for a lot of us, myself included.

I think you're in the right neighborhood.

lapushka
January 5th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Definitely on the upper end of 2, and if you have spiral ringlets that actually places you in the 3 range.

Having a mixed hair type is particularly confusing for a lot of us, myself included.

I think you're in the right neighborhood.

It's too wavy to be anywhere near 3, cjk. ;)

Cinnamonagouti
January 5th, 2019, 04:54 PM
I'll agree with lapushka and say 2b or 2c, for now. I also agree with MusicalSpoons that the waves looks tighter than most 2b haris I've seen. But that is a lot how my hair looked before I started to do several different things that brought out my curl pattern better (turned out to be all ringlets, even though I still type it as 2c/3a because they are pretty loose). And it looks like most waves ends in a little ringlet-shape, so might well be curls waiting to happen, at least with some additional styling (but yeah, I know you are supposed to type your hair unstyled). Or, it might also "just" be waves. Very pretty either way :)

cjk
January 5th, 2019, 06:55 PM
It's too wavy to be anywhere near 3, cjk. ;)

Really?

The way it was explained to me was that type 2 is 2-dimensional. S-waves. And that type 3 is 3-dimensional, spirals and ringlets. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly rescind my statement.

She's got beautiful waves, overall. Definitely on the upper end of 2 with them. But she did mention ringlets, specifically.

DaniGirl
January 5th, 2019, 07:13 PM
I’d say 2c, and it wouldn’t surprise me if with some TLC if you were firmly in 3. Your hair looks like it has the potential to have some serious curls hiding in there.

chiapommama
January 5th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Flossie Bell your curl pattern looks a lot like mine. My hair is darker though and got a lot of silver for all my wild times😂.

Begemot
January 6th, 2019, 01:58 AM
You have such beautiful wavy hair! 2c maybe?

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 03:55 AM
Really?

The way it was explained to me was that type 2 is 2-dimensional. S-waves. And that type 3 is 3-dimensional, spirals and ringlets. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly rescind my statement.

She's got beautiful waves, overall. Definitely on the upper end of 2 with them. But she did mention ringlets, specifically.

Yes, really. :)

3a looks totally different!

Flossiebell
January 6th, 2019, 04:40 AM
Wow.....thank you for all the nice comments everyone ☺️. And thanks for your opinions. I’ve always found it confusing. I remember once I put some curl cream on my hair and let it air dry without moving too much (not intentionally - was watching a film) and it went from straight combed out to spirals all round my head. But there was no space between each twist of the spiral so looked like a cord - I looked like one of those mop dogs lol

lithostoic
January 6th, 2019, 07:58 AM
2b/c. Curlier than braid waves but not quite curly enough to be full 2c which has ringlets.

lapushka
January 6th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Wow.....thank you for all the nice comments everyone ☺️. And thanks for your opinions. I’ve always found it confusing. I remember once I put some curl cream on my hair and let it air dry without moving too much (not intentionally - was watching a film) and it went from straight combed out to spirals all round my head. But there was no space between each twist of the spiral so looked like a cord - I looked like one of those mop dogs lol

There's for sure ways to enhance what you got, but the hairtyping has rules (maybe unfortunately) and so it requires the hair to be fully unstyled an bare.

But I would sure love to see what happens when you enhance the waves!

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2019, 12:59 PM

It sounds like if you wanted to tweak your routine to be more moisturising your nascent curls would come out, to the point that if you retyped a year or so down the line you'd be in the 3s. Clearly your hair is secretly curly and just needs that extra boost to go for it ;)

spidermom
January 6th, 2019, 03:32 PM
I'm going with 2C for your hair.

nycelle
January 6th, 2019, 03:35 PM
I also think 2c. I was classified as a 2b and my waves are much looser than yours.

VenusianMane
January 6th, 2019, 06:32 PM
I agree with 2b/2c, maybe just 2c
And your hair is very beautiful! :heartbeat

UP Lisa
January 8th, 2019, 09:05 AM
My hair is 2b, and yours is definitely more wavy.