PDA

View Full Version : Sleep paralysis and hair growth

TwilightMermaid
January 5th, 2019, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had sleep paralysis and how it may or may not affect their hair growth(in a stress sort of way). I got it yesterday and it wasnít that scary I just felt really heavy and I just wiggled my toes and fingers until my body moved again; I thought I would have to breathe really hard for someone to help because my mom was in the room. After, I turned my head the other way and went back to sleep (I was on my stomach) and it happened again so I just got up and went to sleep on the couch. This was all because I read that it can happen because of irregular sleep, in my case due to winter break. Also, I had to drop my brother off at the airport at three so I went back to sleep at eight a.m. Iíve been super emotional and sad at night for the past two days after the holiday commotion and Iím scared that it will happen again. I feel really alone because of missing my family and that dumb paralization and Iím sure that crying isnít good for your health, lol.

blackgothicdoll
January 5th, 2019, 12:04 AM
I'd be more concerned about the sleep paralysis in general, than hair growth. I suffer the same, but usually it's associated with a nightmare - I understand that it's not fun at all. I don't know much more about this topic unfortunately, but yes, it does deal with an incomplete REM cycle. I would just focus on trying to fix your sleep cycle so you don't have to endure that anymore, and if it continues, maybe try to evaluate why it happens, or talk to someone about it if it will make you feel better. For me, sometimes it just happens, I forget about it and life goes on. I've had it for years so it's only a problem when it's happening.

I hope things get better for you.

Kathie
January 5th, 2019, 12:11 AM
I've suffered from sleep paralysis since I was young. It use to terrify me until I learned what it was! Paralysis during sleep is a normal part of the sleep processes and prevents us from physically acting out our dreams. Unfortunatly, sometimes we can wake while still in that state. Back in the day people use to beleive that a deamon had them pinned down- terrifying!! If you google sleep paralysis you'll see some intereseting paintings. But, I cant see how its directly linked to hair growth. But stress and poor sleep quality, on the other hand, could effect physiological functions including hair growth.

TwilightMermaid
January 5th, 2019, 01:04 AM
Thank you for reassuring me:)I know that it’s nothing serious and all I have to do is get good sleep, I just am really stressed right now and I went through a stressful few days and experiencing this didn’t help:D I searched on google and it gave me all these nightmarish descriptions totally the opposite of my experience, as any sort of medical search on the internet does. It does make me very relieved to know that it is just a natural bodily function and you can get out of it with moderate ease (at least in my case). I can’t believe some people say that it is demonic interference, lol.

lithostoic
January 5th, 2019, 01:21 AM
I've always had sleep paralysis especially in times of stress (which is fairly often because I have anxiety) and my hair still grows faster than average.

Rosy blossom
January 5th, 2019, 05:47 AM
It's a little freaky seeing this thread because after such a long time I too had sleep paralysis last night! It was about 6 different ones, and for the first time in my life they happened whilst i was dreaming instead of be being conscious (If that makes any sense). I used to get them since i was a teenager, they were never frequent but when they did happen it would leave me feeling exhausted and worried that it'll happen again. The only thing I can advise is don't ponder on it too much just think of it as a nightmare and focus on something else. I'm going to try and have a relaxing evening today, pamper myself a little, so hopefully I can get better night deep sleep.

AmaryllisRed
January 5th, 2019, 09:58 AM
I've always had sleep paralysis especially in times of stress (which is fairly often because I have anxiety) and my hair still grows faster than average.

Yeah basically this.
It happens to me on occasion and my hair has always grown fast. I don't think there's any correlation.
But when I saw this thread, I got kind of excited thinking maybe it was going to say that people who get sleep paralysis have fast-growing hair!

Aerya
January 5th, 2019, 10:00 AM
I doubt the paralysis itself would affect hair growth unless it causes you a lot of stress and lack of sleep over time.

But they are no fun, that's for sure. I don't have them very often thankfully but when I do, they are often combined with nightmares and so dreadfully scary I fear trying to sleep the days after. It truly feels as if there is something sitting on my chest pinning me down, and with hallucinations as well I fully understand people believing it to be demons!

lapushka
January 5th, 2019, 02:49 PM
I've suffered from sleep paralysis since I was young. It use to terrify me until I learned what it was! Paralysis during sleep is a normal part of the sleep processes and prevents us from physically acting out our dreams. Unfortunatly, sometimes we can wake while still in that state. Back in the day people use to beleive that a deamon had them pinned down- terrifying!! If you google sleep paralysis you'll see some intereseting paintings. But, I cant see how its directly linked to hair growth. But stress and poor sleep quality, on the other hand, could effect physiological functions including hair growth.

I can't either.

I haven't had it. I can have awful waking nightmares though, not knowing whether something is real or not (not realizing in my mind, believing that I am wide awake in the nightmare). That happens to me. It is funny but it is always between 3 & 4 AM when something like this happens (witching hour, anyone?) and people laugh at me for that. But it never ever fails!

Cate36
January 5th, 2019, 04:15 PM
It's very very common, and not at all harmful. It helps to understand what it is, subconscious knowledge of it in and out of sleep, can lessen the symptoms of fear, so I really recommend reading up on the condition - there are SO many people that suffer from it. It can't affect hair growth at all.. sleep is essential for hair growth, and as long as you are getting some good shuteye each night then your hair will be OK. I guess it is just the stress surrounding it that can affect things for you..

TwilightMermaid
January 5th, 2019, 10:17 PM
But when I saw this thread, I got kind of excited thinking maybe it was going to say that people who get sleep paralysis have fast-growing hair!
I wish!

I had seven hours of sleep last night compared to the three or four on the night of, so I bet it was all because of poor sleep. I read a good amount about it between the last two days and I understand it. I feel like such baby automatically thinking about my hair rather than my mental health! It's not causing me stress now, but I'm still going to focus on relaxing because I know any sort of stress (my daily life, ha) isn't good for overall health.

*Wednesday*
January 6th, 2019, 05:17 AM
It's waking during REM (rapid eye movement). Sometimes called Old Hag Syndrome. This has happened to me usually when I'm laying on my back sleeping. As another poster stated is to disable the body so you don't start acting out your dream state. Anyway this would have nothing to do with hair growth as it's just a freak thing.

Actually, the deepest part of sleep stage 4, is when the body repairs and heals itself which is why when you're sick your body wants to sleep and go into a deep sleep. Also kids when they are growing, growth occurs in stage 4 sleep. So there's a higher probability that hair growth occurs in this stage as well. But don't quote me on that.

Alex Lou
January 6th, 2019, 09:36 PM
I had sleep paralysis on a regular basis for about 10 years. I always seemed to have a good hair growth rate.

Kathie
January 7th, 2019, 02:06 AM
I can't either.

I haven't had it. I can have awful waking nightmares though, not knowing whether something is real or not (not realizing in my mind, believing that I am wide awake in the nightmare). That happens to me. It is funny but it is always between 3 & 4 AM when something like this happens (witching hour, anyone?) and people laugh at me for that. But it never ever fails!

That's literally like something out of a horror movie! If I remember correctly 3 am is when the occurrences in the Amityville Horror house would happen :shocked: