PDA

View Full Version : Fine Hairs: What Are Your Favorite Styles To Wear?

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Please share which styles work well for you. Thank you!

sophia_
January 4th, 2019, 09:43 AM
What I do almost every day is either a plain English braid, a nautilus bun, or a braided nautilus. I tie my braids with colorful velvet or satin scrunchies to make them more interesting. I find nautilus buns aren't too mechanically intensive and don't cause damage on me, as long as I keep the front loose.

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2019, 09:47 AM
I don't believe I've ever learned to do a Nautilus bun. Is there a good tutorial?

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 10:29 AM
My mom has between shoulder & APL and she wears a peacock twist daily.

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 10:30 AM
I don't believe I've ever learned to do a Nautilus bun. Is there a good tutorial?

I learned with torrinpaige; with this video (she starts the tutorial at 1.15) - It's a great tutorial to learn the handsetting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE

Taliesin
January 4th, 2019, 10:35 AM
I often stick to either a cinnabun held with spin pins when I want a good strong hold or the lazy wrap bun, but that one is a less secure hold for me. The nautilus works too, I just don't do it often. I very very rarely braid anymore because I'm pretty sure it ended up being a bit damaging when I was braiding more often.

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2019, 10:44 AM
I learned with torrinpaige; with this video (she starts the tutorial at 1.15) - It's a great tutorial to learn the handsetting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE

Thank you. She does have good videos!

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2019, 10:44 AM
I often stick to either a cinnabun held with spin pins when I want a good strong hold or the lazy wrap bun, but that one is a less secure hold for me. The nautilus works too, I just don't do it often. I very very rarely braid anymore because I'm pretty sure it ended up being a bit damaging when I was braiding more often.

Also need to learn the lazy wrap bun.......

bparnell75
January 4th, 2019, 11:00 AM
I find using fork for buns instead of sticks. Three and four pongs are best. The only bun that I can hold with a stick are stick wraps ad Nessa buns.

UP Lisa
January 4th, 2019, 11:03 AM
I find using fork for buns instead of sticks. Three and four pongs are best. The only bun that I can hold with a stick are stick wraps ad Nessa buns.

I like forks, as well. Need to actually use them more.

Nini
January 4th, 2019, 11:30 AM
I stick with a braid or a cinnamonbun. These last few years I've mostly used Max'es, but I do have some nice forks and sticks that I try to use once in a while too. I get them all to work well for me, as for sticks and forks a curved three prong fork hold better for me.

I love to look of messier buns, but my hair just won't hold them.

AmaryllisRed
January 4th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Braids and braided buns, mostly.

Cg
January 4th, 2019, 01:10 PM
For my slick hair almost everything has to be braided and/or twisted first, then bunned and held with a fork. Typically I use either a single 4- or 5-prong or two 2-prong forks.

Spidermom's was the bun I could most often rely on to stay in from MBL to nearly classic, helix since then.

UP Lisa
January 9th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Braids and braided buns, mostly.

What types of braids do you do? I have never gotten very good at braiding.

Knightly
January 9th, 2019, 11:19 AM
A cinnamon bun held with a stick, milkmaid braids or a side fishtail braid. I think this particular type of braid makes hair look thicker.
Regular braids only bring out how thin my hair is so I don't wear them too often unless it's necessary haha

AutobotsAttack
January 9th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Braids, or Bantu Knots.

UP Lisa
January 9th, 2019, 11:24 AM
What is a Bantu knot?

AmaryllisRed
January 9th, 2019, 11:42 AM
What types of braids do you do? I have never gotten very good at braiding.

All sorts. Mostly for every day I do French or Dutch braids, usually a single braid but sometimes two.
I never used to be good at Dutch braids but I have gotten better with practice over the last year or two.
I'll wear an English braid sometimes, too, stick a stick through the top, and bun it.
I do like doing fancier braids, four and five strands, fishtails, crown braids, waterfall, lace, etc., but not on any regular basis because they take longer.
I can French braid my hair pretty fast, bun up the ends with a stick, and be out the door in minutes.
For braid ideas, check out the braid picture thread. :)

UP Lisa
January 9th, 2019, 11:49 AM
All sorts. Mostly for every day I do French or Dutch braids, usually a single braid but sometimes two.
I never used to be good at Dutch braids but I have gotten better with practice over the last year or two.
I'll wear an English braid sometimes, too, stick a stick through the top, and bun it.
I do like doing fancier braids, four and five strands, fishtails, crown braids, waterfall, lace, etc., but not on any regular basis because they take longer.
I can French braid my hair pretty fast, bun up the ends with a stick, and be out the door in minutes.
For braid ideas, check out the braid picture thread. :)

Well, looking at your pictures, your hair looks about twice as thick as mine. Very pretty.

AmaryllisRed
January 9th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Thank you. But I'm just a ii, I promise! It's all an illusion...
:magic:

UP Lisa
January 10th, 2019, 06:59 AM

Well, if I did my hair in two french braids like you did in that one picture, each braid would be half that width. You must be closer to the 4" circumference. I'm lucky to have 3".

ravenheather
January 10th, 2019, 08:48 AM
I like a nautilus bun or a Dutch braid. English braid around the house.

MusicalSpoons
January 10th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Well, looking at your pictures, your hair looks about twice as thick as mine. Very pretty.

Well, if I did my hair in two french braids like you did in that one picture, each braid would be half that width. You must be closer to the 4" circumference. I'm lucky to have 3".

Thickness isn't the only factor; it also depends on how compressible the hair is and how much taper you have. I have ~3" circumference (haven't checked for a while so not sure if it's any more than that) with taper and at FTL I could put my hair into a bun that would fit under my cupped hand - and my hands are not big!​ My hair was having a particularly floofy day when I did the bun in my avatar :lol:

However I have just looked at the braid thread and yeah, my single braid is about the same visual thickness as one of AmaryllisRed's twin braids :p your styles are stunning!
However for braids it also depends on how tightly you braid too :wink:

Edit: to actually contribute to the thread, my hair really is slap-bang on the border of F/M so my contribution may not mean much, but buns with forks are absolutely my go-to styles. I don't braid often, I don't do sectioned styles pretty much ever, but buns work and stay put all day. The extra length after the basic bun structure has been formed, plus double-wrapping and the extra stability of forks can make buns hold like a rock. Wrapped styles stay better for me than twisted but I think for most people it's the other way round, lol!

AmaryllisRed
January 10th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Thank you for the compliment, MusicalSpoons!
I haven't measured in a while and don't remember my exact circumference.
My hair is just really floofy some days, especially after washing. And it compresses a lot. I don't braid tightly because my braids would be tiny.
It's all just floof and frizz and loose braiding and braid shred. :)

Larke
January 10th, 2019, 03:54 PM
English braid, nautilus bun, I'm very boring. But fine hair is so hard! I love my hair that way, but seriously, so many tutorials don't work for me because I can't get the volume needed to make it all look nice. Wouldn't want it any other way, though. ^_^

LittleHealthy
January 11th, 2019, 03:33 AM
I love a lazy wrap bun on the nape of my neck (down low) held with my Ficcare look-alike. It makes my bun look fuller to hold the bun with that instead of a stick, for some reason.

cestlavie
January 11th, 2019, 03:56 AM
I put my hair in a cinnabun or lazy wrap bun with a stick, hair fork or two little claw clips.

TreesOfEternity
January 11th, 2019, 04:48 AM
I like to do my buns with a thick stick or huge fork, so they appear bigger (otherwise they look ridiculous but oh well).

I’m trying to get better at doing Gibson tucks as well. Braids I don’t do much because they look too thin, and with all my hair flat against my head I don’t really like how they look on me.

harpgal
January 11th, 2019, 05:12 AM
My hair is very fine and if I did not braid, it would float around everywhere. For my part, it is a pinless braided bun or a braid wrapped around my head. The wrapped braid around my head is the most comfortable. It distributes the weight and stays neat. In order to get the length required to do that, I had to get to mid-thigh length.

UP Lisa
January 11th, 2019, 06:41 AM
English braid, nautilus bun, I'm very boring. But fine hair is so hard! I love my hair that way, but seriously, so many tutorials don't work for me because I can't get the volume needed to make it all look nice. Wouldn't want it any other way, though. ^_^

Yes. Fine hair is hard.

UP Lisa
January 11th, 2019, 06:46 AM
I like to do my buns with a thick stick or huge fork, so they appear bigger (otherwise they look ridiculous but oh well).

I’m trying to get better at doing Gibson tucks as well. Braids I don’t do much because they look too thin, and with all my hair flat against my head I don’t really like how they look on me.

I haven't tried that thick stick or huge fork thing. Good idea.

UP Lisa
January 11th, 2019, 06:48 AM
My hair is very fine and if I did not braid, it would float around everywhere. For my part, it is a pinless braided bun or a braid wrapped around my head. The wrapped braid around my head is the most comfortable. It distributes the weight and stays neat. In order to get the length required to do that, I had to get to mid-thigh length.

Well, I don't expect to ever get to that length! I think it must help you that your hair is thicker, so if some of it gets broken off it still looks like you have some.:o

harpgal
January 11th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Well, I don't expect to ever get to that length! I think it must help you that your hair is thicker, so if some of it gets broken off it still looks like you have some.:o
Lisa, I never expected to get to this length either. I remember long, long ago when I got to 40 inches. I was so surprised! So you just never know how long your tresses will get. Truth be told, my hemline is very thin down there at the bottom.

UP Lisa
January 11th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Well, I haven't seen a pic in ages, but I remember it being totally beautiful!

Crystawni
January 12th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Please share which styles work well for you. Thank you!

Knotty, twisted buns like Celtic Knots and rotated or divided Gibraltar and LWBs work best for me (heaps of pics of various styles over the years via my profile), with face framers whipping around out front. But for a softer, more relaxed look, I often twist a ponytail upwards and clip the tail just below the crown with a Ficcare or Flexi so it's a tails up (and dowwwwwwn) like a cascading waterfall of hair.