PDA

View Full Version : Another hair typing post ft. short hair being weird as.

illicitlizard
January 4th, 2019, 05:18 AM
I've always considered my hair fully straight, it may have bent a bit with layers or some such but basically, straight 1a assumed. Hair typing confuses me so help would be appreciated!

Recently, as my hair has been growing out it's been acting, weird I guess?. I took some hair typing pics to see if letting my hair dry naturally without brushing (surprisingly hard) would answer my q's:
First pic is probably the most accurate? Sorry for the selfie camera pics.
https://imgur.com/Bm1iF3Jm.jpg https://imgur.com/5MnJ1VQm.jpg https://imgur.com/4HZuBKIm.jpg
then brushed it out to show what I'd be working with if I ever let my hair air dry. I usually blow dry and it ends up pretty much entirely straight. But like, look how straight and non-frizzy the top of that is, I have veeeery straight hair normally.
https://imgur.com/gYQpbMNm.jpg

Assuming my hair isn't too short to type does this mean I'm like a 1b or something? Or is it only waving there because it's so layered (through growing from one length all over) and that's where my neck is? Actually the more I look the more certain I am that that's the reason.

Either way, it's interesting how length can effect what one's hair does.
So if anyone's read this far, what hair type is this really? Does it even matter? Love to hear your thoughts!

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Looks like 1b, maybe 1c judging from the 3rd picture (such a lovely picture). Maybe mark it 1b/c, just to be on the safe side.

It is a little short, with loose waves especially you need about APL to start to properly tell.

lithostoic
January 4th, 2019, 05:39 AM
It's too short. My waves didn't properly show up until almost BSL. You're probably 2a since your waves start high up. But at this length it appears 1b.

Lady Stardust
January 4th, 2019, 05:53 AM
Your hair is lovely! I would say 1c at the moment and reassess when it’s longer.

It’s common for hair in the 1s to be straight at the top, mine is the same, makes having a fringe less problematic!

I used to think I had 1a hair too and that it misbehaved, it got bent where it touched my neck, but then I realised the difference. 1a hair is strikingly straight, it doesn’t curl under or up at the ends, it looks like it’s been straightened. Very striking and beautiful.

1b hair, according to the hair typing system, looks straight but has body. In my opinion, it looks more like it’s been blow dried straight rather than flat ironed. The difference is noticeable if you compare to a 1a, it has more volume.

1c is more like a river winding a course through the landscape :) The hair moves together rather than individual waves that you get in the 2s.

MusicalSpoons
January 4th, 2019, 09:13 AM
There's so much movement going on there I'd agree with 1c. If you were 1a your hair would probably naturally dry like your brushed-out pic :) but definitely retype again when it's longer too!

Lady Stardust I LOVE those descriptions!!

illicitlizard
January 4th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Looks like 1b, maybe 1c judging from the 3rd picture (such a lovely picture). Maybe mark it 1b/c, just to be on the safe side.

It is a little short, with loose waves especially you need about APL to start to properly tell.
Thank you! I'll probably come back to this thread when I get to that length then and re-type.

It's too short. My waves didn't properly show up until almost BSL. You're probably 2a since your waves start high up. But at this length it appears 1b.
Noted! Will definitely come and re-type when I get to be actually long. Though I used to have markedly straight hair at that length so you never know.

Your hair is lovely! I would say 1c at the moment and reassess when it’s longer.

It’s common for hair in the 1s to be straight at the top, mine is the same, makes having a fringe less problematic!

I used to think I had 1a hair too and that it misbehaved, it got bent where it touched my neck, but then I realised the difference. 1a hair is strikingly straight, it doesn’t curl under or up at the ends, it looks like it’s been straightened. Very striking and beautiful.

1b hair, according to the hair typing system, looks straight but has body. In my opinion, it looks more like it’s been blow dried straight rather than flat ironed. The difference is noticeable if you compare to a 1a, it has more volume.

1c is more like a river winding a course through the landscape :) The hair moves together rather than individual waves that you get in the 2s.
Those are really lovely descriptions and very helpful, thank you!

There's so much movement going on there I'd agree with 1c. If you were 1a your hair would probably naturally dry like your brushed-out pic :) but definitely retype again when it's longer too!

Lady Stardust I LOVE those descriptions!!

Thank you! Looks like I'm changing at least temporarily to 1b/1c.

It's very surprising though, as people used to ask if I'd straightened my hair in its natural state, but my grandma seems adamant that my hair used to be wavy so what is the truth haha.

spidermom
January 4th, 2019, 05:28 PM
I'm going with 1C. It's amazing how much length can change your hair type. I get spirals that don't really form until around APL. At chin length my hair is pretty much straight but bushy, very bushy.

CopperButterfly
January 4th, 2019, 11:22 PM
I'm going to guess 1c. Your hair appears to behave a lot like mine, and I've always considered it straight. But I get the weird bends that aren't proper waves too. But it looks totally straight if I so much as brush it out wet, or blow dry.

illicitlizard
April 28th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Feel free to ignore this update, it's only been like 3-4 months and I'm not at APL for accurate hair typing, but nonetheless thought I'd try this again to see if it had straightened out, guess not so much. I feel like my life has been a lie I thought my hair was bone straight :shrug: guess 1b/c it is!
https://imgur.com/rzOAWHvm.jpghttps://imgur.com/R0ZhzJQm.jpg

But if I brush it out it smooths down as normal, heres untouched vs shaking it out vigorously vs brushing just for comparison
https://imgur.com/vKkCcMym.jpg

Begemot
April 28th, 2019, 06:56 AM
You have great body wave! Beautiful shine too :)

CopperButterfly
April 28th, 2019, 07:15 AM
It looks like it's possibly getting wavier with length. I'd almost call it 1c/2a with those new pictures. I totally understand, I was shocked at how much wave I got when doing hair typing.

illicitlizard
April 28th, 2019, 07:47 AM
You have great body wave! Beautiful shine too :)
Thank you so much :)

It looks like it's possibly getting wavier with length. I'd almost call it 1c/2a with those new pictures. I totally understand, I was shocked at how much wave I got when doing hair typing.
Wowza that's wild... I'm still getting over not being 1a lol. Hair typing really enhances the texture a whole lot! Now I'm curious to see how it gets once it's at a type-able length :)

lapushka
April 28th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Feel free to ignore this update, it's only been like 3-4 months and I'm not at APL for accurate hair typing, but nonetheless thought I'd try this again to see if it had straightened out, guess not so much. I feel like my life has been a lie I thought my hair was bone straight :shrug: guess 1b/c it is!
https://imgur.com/rzOAWHvm.jpghttps://imgur.com/R0ZhzJQm.jpg

But if I brush it out it smooths down as normal, heres untouched vs shaking it out vigorously vs brushing just for comparison
https://imgur.com/vKkCcMym.jpg

That still looks like accurate typing to me. :D Maybe 1b/c at the most.
Beautiful! :)

Aerya
April 28th, 2019, 10:46 AM
I think it's too short to tell just yet and the 1b/c seems accurate for now, but girl, your hair is getting long! Lovely colour too :flower:

Cg
April 28th, 2019, 12:35 PM
There is so much body and wave, if this is 1b hair I need a different designator. 0a? -1a? -1-a?

lapushka
April 28th, 2019, 12:53 PM
There is so much body and wave, if this is 1b hair I need a different designator. 0a? -1a? -1-a?

LOL! I had hair similar to illicitlizard pre-puberty, and it was 1b/c, very similar looking!

There is a difference between a "body wave" where there is one wave in the entire hair, and the separate "stringy" waves of someone in the 2s. So I think therein lies the confusion. ;)

Cg
April 28th, 2019, 01:17 PM
What I call body is volume, not wave. Pretty much what most everyone else gets, but not -- sniff sniff -- 1as.

MusicalSpoons
April 28th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Breaking out the hairtyping guide here:

1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

No way is that 1b. Those waves visible - probably not quite 2s yet, granted - are very definitely body waves at least. Not 'enough to give volume, doesn't look wavy' but they are discernible waves, therefore 1c. (Yes the very top looks straight but we've mentioned elsewhere so many times that the roots don't count because they do what they want regardless of what the rest of the hair does :p)

Beautiful shine, too! It will be interesting to see what happens with even more length :)

illicitlizard
April 28th, 2019, 04:39 PM
That still looks like accurate typing to me. :D Maybe 1b/c at the most.
Beautiful! :)
Thank you lapushka! Will definitely be sticking to 1b/c :)

I think it's too short to tell just yet and the 1b/c seems accurate for now, but girl, your hair is getting long! Lovely colour too :flower:
Haha thank you! I'm very impatient but will try to wait until I have actually long hair before I trot this thread out again :P

This one made me laugh omg

No way is that 1b. Those waves visible - probably not quite 2s yet, granted - are very definitely body waves at least. Not 'enough to give volume, doesn't look wavy' but they are discernible waves, therefore 1c. (Yes the very top looks straight but we've mentioned elsewhere so many times that the roots don't count because they do what they want regardless of what the rest of the hair does :p)

Beautiful shine, too! It will be interesting to see what happens with even more length :)
Thank you MusicalSpoons! I'm also curious for how it'll be with more length, but considering how long it took to dry evennow I dread future hair typing endeavours

Andthetalltrees
April 28th, 2019, 05:54 PM
1c or 1c/2a it looks pretty close to mine

Cg
April 29th, 2019, 09:25 AM
1c or 1c/2a it looks pretty close to mine

I concur. The waving starts fairly high in the untouched photo so perhaps 1c at least, if not 2a once it gets long enough to be certain.

Agava
May 27th, 2019, 11:42 AM
How I didn't see this earlier? iliticlizard, I've been in the same confusion few days ago! Funny how our hair surprised us :) I was always as a child in 1a, and last 10-15years, from time to time I had frizzy ends but not much. This is my most frizzy and most wavy period, reaching 1c, while some said it could be even 2a. What happened- I have no idea. I believe it's reaction to bleach and dye, but who knows. I'm also waiting at least APL to reanalyze my texture

illicitlizard
May 29th, 2019, 06:44 AM
How I didn't see this earlier? iliticlizard, I've been in the same confusion few days ago! Funny how our hair surprised us :) I was always as a child in 1a, and last 10-15years, from time to time I had frizzy ends but not much. This is my most frizzy and most wavy period, reaching 1c, while some said it could be even 2a. What happened- I have no idea. I believe it's reaction to bleach and dye, but who knows. I'm also waiting at least APL to reanalyze my texture

It's really interesting to see how hair changes over time! Gosh though, waiting to APL to get an accurate typing pic is taking a hot minute grrrr.

Agava
May 29th, 2019, 09:43 AM
It's really interesting to see how hair changes over time! Gosh though, waiting to APL to get an accurate typing pic is taking a hot minute grrrr.

At least, if not only the length, the accurate texture typing is a reason more for not to trim. Only patience and time, and we're there :D

illicitlizard
April 15th, 2020, 08:56 AM
Bam, it's an update, finally let my hair dry without touching it for the first time probably since my last update to this thread!

https://i.imgur.com/MfRQRSum.jpg https://i.imgur.com/5t0u3Esm.jpg https://i.imgur.com/qEadUOUm.jpg
Hair is back to how I remember it from childhood, I reckon the 1b/c is probably most accurate based on visual hairtyping guide.
Turns out teen me got very close to 1a hair with crap tonnes of silicone weighing me down, the more you know :P

Ylva
April 15th, 2020, 09:00 AM
Wow, your hair has grown so much!

I would call you 1c/2a.

MusicalSpoons
April 15th, 2020, 09:03 AM
I'd say 1c, possibly 1c/2a.
(1b is straighter than people think - it totally looks straight, just not pin-straight.)
So shiny! And it's grown so much! :D

Bri-Chan
April 15th, 2020, 09:09 AM
I think 1c.
Beautiful hair!

illicitlizard
April 15th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Thank you guys! Appreciate the feedback :) looks like we're going with 1c

lithostoic
April 15th, 2020, 10:06 PM
Love the update :) your hair is so shiny!

DropStitches
April 16th, 2020, 09:11 AM
Gorgeous hair, illicitlizard - and inspirational growth!

CopperButterfly
April 16th, 2020, 11:56 AM
Beautiful! I would also call 1c. Looks just like mine! Also you've got some good growth over the past year!