PDA

View Full Version : Hello :) After so many bad hair salon experiences.......finally....

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 12:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've lurked here for a while looking for help and inspiration. I won't bore you with the whole story, but after seeing a hairdresser (who a 'friend' hairdresser had recommended) about three years ago, when she literally fried my hair (and I think she did it deliberately), I've seemed to have one bad experience after another in a salon - including going back to my 'friend' hairdresser, who would come to my home each month, and as it turned out, she was actually damaging my hair further by drying it out unnecessarily using the wrong developer. So! While I was trying to re-grow my hair and repair it after such a horrific one-visit-to-the-salon-experience (I lost 60% volume of my hair), my 'friend' was continuing to damage it. After about a year when my hair was still not repairing, I slowly figured it out. The upsetting thing, is that I thought she was a much nicer girl - others had warned me about her, but I guess I fooled. Deep down she's a very jealous, insecure girl and it took me forever to finally realise how manipulative and vindictive she actually is! Silly me. I don't think she wanted me to have nice hair.... and the longer I trusted her, that really was the truth.

However! What she did do, is give me a sense of confidence to look after my hair on my own. I finally decided to take matters into my own hands, literally, and have been in charge of my own hair since (for just over a year now), and I cannot believe - nor can my husband believe - how healthy my hair is growing and looking! I still have a lot of 'junk' (I call it) in my hair... leftover from the one-off damage, and the ongoing damage my 'friend' was doing to my hair - but the rest of it (the new growth that I've been looking after) is so healthy and strong and gorgeous. It's proof, that you really don't need hairdressers - as much as they try to make you feel!

I feel quite lonely in all of this. I have had many a night worrying, crying about my hair. It was so full and wavy, and long - and I couldn't believe how damaged and thin it became, overnight, by simply one visit to a salon. It has truly made me terrified of visiting salons - ever again, and I am wary almost untrusting of hairdressers now. The many hairdressers I have known, seem to have little to no empathy for others and don't seem to care much about 'healthy' hair at all - well that's been my personal experience, anyway.

So I wanted to say hi, and congratulations to all those who have taken control of their own hair and watched it grow and become healthy again!

The only thing that still challenges me, is ....how to trim straight across the back! I'm yet to figure that one out - but other things I have learnt about colour, hydrating the hair, etc - if I can be of any help to others, please ask away :)

Thanks again to all who contribute and help, I'm so glad this forum exists and there are others who love healthy hair too x

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 12:42 AM
Hi Mabel! Please let us know what products or natural remedies you have used to get your virgin growth in such good condition. Also are you growing out bleached or colored hair as sabotaged by your "friend"? I can relate to your story as i was getting light blonde highlights for a decade and had to politely fight to not get overlapping bleach painted on my existing highlights when I went for root touch ups. But they all would still overlap in the back where I could not see what they were doing. Then the dreaded hair ripping comb outs!! I always brought my own comb to use after finger combing and that always seems to irk colorists. I used a girl named Destiny a few times and she was very good, but I moved away and cant find anyone even close to her talent and care.

I gave up on highlights 2 years ago and have hideous looking regrowth from roots now with severely damaged, bleached ends. I have cut 8 inches total in 2018 and i need another 3 inches cut very soon. My hair is in such bad shape that if i tried to go back to my natural color of medium brown with depositing color, it potentially will break off the blonde damage entirely. I am so scared about further breakage and the brittle condition of my hair now. I rarely go out since this past year due to the hair I have now looking so bad. I always liked concerts and dinners out but now I feel that I look too ugly to be out in public. Yet in 2017 my hair was getting so healthy after giving up highlights in late 2016. I have no idea what caused such intense damage in 2018 without any chemical treatments of any kind and no flat irons. It is beyond puzzling.

Any suggestions for healing my damage would be completely appreciated. I cry almost daily over what happened to my hair. Sometimes intensely. I am feeling sad again this moment.

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 01:15 AM
Hi Aethyra! :)

Firstly - please don't feel sad. If you tell me what your hair history is, I might be able to pinpoint what's been going on. I've educated myself quite a bit about hair these last few years - and with colour too. So read what I've written below, and see if that helps - if you want to let me know what's been happening to cause the breakage, I might be able to help a little more x

Yes - unfortunately, hairdressers can be 'slap happy' and don't take enough care. They are often pushed for time, especially in salons that are booking clients back to back with little time for hairdressers to even have lunch (!), but hairdressers 'not caring' is another thing of course....

I personally swear by moroccan oil treatment. Put it in towel dried hair after you've shampooed/conditioned, maybe one or two pumps (not too much) depending on how long your hair is - enough to give your hair a good drink/cover. And always use leave-in heat protectants (like nourishing milk creams that protect from blow-dry/heat) - and leave in sprays designed to protect against heat tools if you are using them (Revlon does a good protectant). All these things will stop the frizz too. Also, try not to shampoo your hair too often - and when you do, use a moisturising shampoo (Kerastase Oleo Relax is good I find) and do a rich repair treatment (Goldwell Rich Repair is very good).

You can put the moroccan oil on dry hair too - put on the ends of your hair to help nourish them in between washes.

These are not cheap products, but truly - they are worth it.

Of course, you can't fix damaged hair as you would know - it has to be cut out unfortunately, but you can hydrate your hair well and keep it healthy whilst it is growing long enough for the damage to be cut out - that way you can keep your 'style' without having to cut it short.

Yes, while I was searching for a good hairdresser, I went to one salon and the girl who was 'styling' hair, was pulling so hard on client's hair using a brush and blow dryer, that the clients head would be thrashed down and up as she would pull the hair out and hold the blowdryer so close to the hair, I thought it would burn. When the same hairdresser came to do my hair I told her I had a migraine and asked if she could be gentle with my hair. Well, she hated me after that. I let her dry my hair once, and never went back. She was rough and didn't care if she pulled at the hair, broke it or burnt it.

Unfortunately - when you speak up and request certain basic (!) things, they absolutely hate you and treat you worse! So, you really can't win. It seems they think they are in control, and that's that. I don't understand the attitude, because it is OUR hair and we do it all the time, and we wear it, live with it. We might see a hairdresser once every two months maybe, or once per month, but when we go into the hair salon, it's as if we no longer 'know' how to do our own hair (?) nor do we have the right to question anything or know anything that is being done! It's a most bizarre attitude. Anyway, the unwillingness for hairdressers to communicate with clients is just another reason I no longer go to salons. I'm sure there are lovely hairdressers out there who treat their clients with respect, but I'm yet to find them!

The nicest, kindest, most gentle and careful hairdresser I've ever had - is me :)

Hope that helps and please let me know if you need any further help, I'll do my best x

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 01:50 AM
Thank you for being so lovely! You are eager to help and that is a wonderful thing!

Moroccan oil never worked well on my hair. I have been using Kerastase products almost exclusively since 2016. I have relatively straight hair and blow dry it on warm setting using my fingers. But blow drying now is not good. That is why I cant go out. No way to style my hair. Air drying shows all the breaks.

I used to love Goldwell products but they changed the conditioner I used to like so much. But, I will try the Oleo Relax and the Goldwell product you have recommended.

The only thing I can think of that destroyed my hair in the 1st month of 2018 was added chlorine to our city water. It does not justify the amount of damage incurred however. Yet, I am using good shower filters now for 6 months. I have always shampooed daily with really good products and never had problems with dryness at all. But since coming here I shampoo every other day or I get greasy roots and matting. My hair seems to prefer daily shampooing. But, it is now hurting the bleach damage far too much. I dilute the shampoo now and dont shampoo length except to clarify. I have lost so much hair too. It is so scary! I cannot pull off short hair looks and love long hair. My hair is an inch beyond BSL. My sig pics show my hair before the problems. My hair looks like the picture on the left now with even more roots, far more damage and is very sparse and of course, shorter by a few inches. I spent 2K in 2018 on kerastase products alone. And another thousand on every product I can find that promises to help. If something works, it only works once and I have to try something new. My hair does not like many oils either.

This is why I am so desperate and despondent. Nothing seems to work. Tresemme used to work for me as a conditioner. But now it does not. Kerastase used to make my hair like spun silk but now it makes my hair dry and knotted a day after use. I just dont understand. I have never used a curling iron or hot rollers either.

Begemot
January 3rd, 2019, 02:12 AM
Oh no, your experiences sound downright traumatic... I don't think I could trust another hairdresser ever again if the same happened to me :( I trust my current hairdresser but like most hairdressers I have encountered, she is mostly into styling and dye jobs, "playing with hair", and not so into hair health.

Good luck with your hair care journey and welcome to TLHC! :blossom:

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 02:26 AM
Hi aethyra,

Your hair looks beautiful by the sig pic, and even though you may feel and know it's damaged, it is still beautiful of course, and most people wouldn't know. It does take a while to repair damage / for the hair to grow, as you know. May I ask, did the damage occur after colour - and what colour did you have (brand, level of developer etc)?

You obviously know 'good' products which is really important, and I do encourage you to try the Oleo Relax shampoo by Kerastase - I swear by it (I have tried other shampoos including Goldwell shampoos and they have left my hair feeling very dry, taking me days to repair and get my hair feeling okay again.... so I now ONLY use Oleo Relax!). I know what you mean about your hair responding to washing daily - I find, by the 2nd day, my damaged ends are dry and snaggy (I think it is a sign of damage to be honest, as healthy hair simply becomes more oily over time....and you'll notice the 'healthy' hair feeling normal/oily, while the damaged hair ends become more dry and snaggy), but I simply put my hair up and try to keep it up and away through day 2 and 3 (otherwise I end up spending too much time in the bathroom searching for and destroying all those awful splits and damaged ends!). I do try to wash on day 3 or 4 (unless I have something special on and need to wash it earlier). I can't encourage you enough to try to leave your hair washing until at least 2/3 days apart - the natural oils in your hair are so important not only for your hair but for your scalp and hair growth. Shampooing everyday is simply stripping away those natural oils. So if you can bare it - try :)

Sorry to hear about morrocan oil - I find the Kerastase Nectar Thermique range really good for leave in conditioner (and heat protectant). Do try the Goldwell Rich Repair treatment - it says 60 secs, but I leave it is for 5 and sometimes 10 minutes. The Kerastase Oleo Relax Treatment masque (matching the shampoo) is terrific too, although since having damaged hair I find it not heavy enough. Truth is, all these products can only 'mask' damage - and give some relief/control. There's no quick way to fix damage - which is why it is so frustrating if hairdresser are 'flippant' about damage - it takes years to repair it!

I would like to know what 'colour' products you have had on your hair - because, from what you are describing, it really does sound more like your cuticle is 'open' and that does require chemicals to do such a thing - not sure about the chlorine in the water unless it is an extreme level of chlorine (?)

Also - don't put a towel on your hair after you shampoo - gently pat with a towel to carefully remove excess water, but that's it - and make sure you use a cotton towel, NOT microfibre. Microfibre towels can take it too much moisture and leave your hair dry/brittle! And it's also good to not dry your hair straight away, just pin it back gently and forget about it for a while before attempting to do it :) The moisture naturally drying in your hair, is good for your hair!

I hope I'm helping x

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 02:29 AM
PS - aethyra - have you ever had protein treatments? I only ask, because too much protein can definitely leave your hair dry and brittle.

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 02:44 AM
Hi Begemot :)

Thank you for the lovely welcome and hello back! :) At least you HAVE a hairdresser! :) Yes, I'm truly just too fearful now to go back to any salon - sadly, I'm kinda done! Truth is, I've educated myself now enough to know that if I did go back, I would be questioning everything! - which they would absolutely hate I'm sure ;) I'm even doing my children's hair too now, and loving it! And they look great! You would think they are getting their hair done professionally. I guess I've watched enough hairdressers through my years and my own Aunt was a hairdresser - I remember watching her. So, I think I might've somehow absorbed some of what was going on around me. My career took me in another direction of course, but I feel I might've made a good hairdresser had I chosen that path! ;)

But for now - I just love 'healthy' hair! and am enjoying understanding how best to achieve it.

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 05:07 AM
I'm sorry, I think I should've said hi and introduced myself on the 'new' thread. I just jumped to the mane thread, because I'm trying to grow my hair.
Sorry about that.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2019, 05:40 AM
No need to feel "lonely" in all of this. A lot of us have not gone to hairdressers in... quite a while.

The only thing that still challenges me, is ....how to trim straight across the back! I'm yet to figure that one out - but other things I have learnt about colour, hydrating the hair, etc - if I can be of any help to others, please ask away :)

Thanks again to all who contribute and help, I'm so glad this forum exists and there are others who love healthy hair too x

Try looking into Feye's self-trimming method. There are instructions there for a blunt cut. If you feel unsure, you can have someone help you cut a bit off. Here's the link:
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Again, welcome to the forum. :)

Wendyp
January 3rd, 2019, 05:47 AM
I decided finally to start trimming on my own and let go 100 of the salon after encouragement here. I can’t trim behind my back for the life of me but the spider mom method works great! You can look up the thread here! My hair has never been longer or healthier since ditching the salon!

Kalamazoo
January 3rd, 2019, 06:11 AM
Howdy Mabel! Welcome to LHC!

I sympathize, both with Mabel & Aethyra! My last trip to a beauty salon for my own hair was back in '94. Nope! Not doing that again! :horse:

Due to multiple allergies & chemical sensitivities, I'm as leery of most hair care products as I am of beauticians, which is why I've been looking for answers in Ayurveda or similar sources -- anything totally removed from modern 21st Century American culture! (which is my culture!) :luke:

I found a really interesting article here:

https://www.hairbuddha.net/traditional-hair-care-4-ways-to-naturally-beautiful-hair/

OK, that's not the answer for everyone, but I like thinking as far outside the box as possible.

ETA: Don't be too hard on yourself nor on how your hair looks. We're all our own worst critics. Aethyra, Begemot, Lapushka, Wendyp, your pictures are really lovely!

spitfire511
January 3rd, 2019, 06:35 AM
Welcome mabel and so glad you figured out what works for you and decided to de-lurk! lapushka nailed it if you haven't already - Feye's self-trim is amazing so many of us here use it.

Happy Growing! :flowers:

Ylva
January 3rd, 2019, 07:06 AM
make sure you use a cotton towel, NOT microfibre. Microfibre towels can take it too much moisture and leave your hair dry/brittle!

Microfiber towels are definitely the friendliest to hair. They don't remove too much moisture by any means, my hair is still nearly dripping after I squeeze through it multiple times using a microfiber towel. I rather spare my cuticles the abrasion and use MF.

MusicalSpoons
January 3rd, 2019, 08:08 AM
One or both of you mentioned the lengths becoming dry and almost needing the moisture from another wash - I very, very highly recommend trying the ROO method (rinse-out oil, link in lapushka's signature) or at least double-contioning if you aren't already (CWC or WCC). Although I have virgin hair, it needs more moisture than it used to just due to environmental exposure over the years and these two methods have really helped :) It sounds like you have healthy regrowth which is great, and means you can focus on babying and moisturising your damaged lengths to retain them for as long as possible.

I'm so sorry to hear you've both had such terrible experiences, but I'm glad you've made the decision to take control of your own hair care. Welcome! :flower:

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 10:30 AM
PS - aethyra - have you ever had protein treatments? I only ask, because too much protein can definitely leave your hair dry and brittle.

Good afternoon Mabel. I want to express my gratitude for your time in typing out your helpful responses and your genuine concern. I have done an egg yolk treatment about a month ago and it was not helpful. I have used reconstructors as well. I learned from this wonderful site that reconstructors are normally protein based. I am now aware of protein overload. Will this overload go away on its own?

Also I went to the kerastase site at 4 am after reading your recommendations and read the 5 star reviews for Oleo relax. I will order that asap. Thanks to you I also see that there is a Bain Magistral hair balm that I will order. I have used the masque with great but very temporary results, so I will also try the balm in hopes of amplifying the good results. I will work on the shampooing less but my scalp gets oily. I dont wear my hair up enough due to the sparsity but I will try that again with different tools. I look horrible with a bun though. :eek:

I have done 2 treatments with Olaplex 3 with less than stellar results. Is that a protein treatment I wonder?

My last highlights on crown and root growth was in October of 2016. The stylist took another client as i sat in foils and I am sure she left me too long. Also on rinse out she came over and dumped a small amount of something all over my entire head without asking. It was so fast! She did it after shampoo girl rinsed the bleach out. I knew on the finger comb out that my hair did not like it. I think it was a toner but she said it was a gloss. I started Kerastase Therapiste system 4 products) pre poo treatment, shampoo, conditioner and serum) starting weeks after due to difficulty in getting my fingers through my hair from ears down. This regimen made my hair so wonderful but is loaded with so many silicones. Can silicones and daily washing/ blow drying be the culprit over the course of 2 years?

Anyway, big hugs for you for being extremely helpful. Thank you for caring. :blossom::flower::blossom:

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 10:39 AM
I want to say that I love the ladies here!! Sending the best of blessings to everyone here for the best new year possible!

MusicalSpoons
January 3rd, 2019, 10:54 AM
This regimen made my hair so wonderful but is loaded with so many silicones. Can silicones and daily washing/ blow drying be the culprit over the course of 2 years?

My initial reaction to this was 'yes, most likely' but then I thought a bit more about it. Silicones are fine if you know how they work and how best to use them for your hair. Daily washing is fine if you're doing it gently enough (physically gently, as well as using not overly harsh products) and if your scalp needs it. Blow-drying is okay if you're doing it sensibly, not using a hot setting and not causing mechanical damage with tangles or brushing out tangles in wet hair.

So ... maybe. Have a think about how you're doing the daily washing with silicones and blow-drying, and then you'll be able to decide whether it is doing damage or not :)

Ylva
January 3rd, 2019, 12:38 PM
I have done 2 treatments with Olaplex 3 with less than stellar results. Is that a protein treatment I wonder?

No, it's not. It's a bond treatment that is neither moisturising nor a protein treatment.

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 01:14 PM
No, it's not. It's a bond treatment that is neither moisturising nor a protein treatment.

Thank you Ylva. I tried Olaplex 3 after reading about your good results along with Cate's. The first treatment was used incorrectly as I used it as a deep conditioner after shampooing. But I trued it again 2 weeks ago before dilute shampooing then conditioning and it was better, just not great. But maybe more hair would have broken off without it.

Cate36
January 3rd, 2019, 02:16 PM
Thank you Ylva. I tried Olaplex 3 after reading about your good results along with Cate's. The first treatment was used incorrectly as I used it as a deep conditioner after shampooing. But I trued it again 2 weeks ago before dilute shampooing then conditioning and it was better, just not great. But maybe more hair would have broken off without it.

See if you can get the number 2 and leave on over night.. 3 works well doing this also.. regular use improves even initial results.. xoxoxo

lapushka
January 3rd, 2019, 02:59 PM
Microfiber towels are definitely the friendliest to hair. They don't remove too much moisture by any means, my hair is still nearly dripping after I squeeze through it multiple times using a microfiber towel. I rather spare my cuticles the abrasion and use MF.

I have to agree. Microfiber is better, but if you feel your hair fares best with cotton, by all means. Terry cloth can leave your hair fluffy, and microfiber doesn't do that at all. For wavy and curly hair, that's really important.

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 04:19 PM
See if you can get the number 2 and leave on over night.. 3 works well doing this also.. regular use improves even initial results.. xoxoxo

Thank you Cate! I have one more bottle of the Ola 3 and will try it overnight on dry hair?

Your threads are a staple for me. Absolutely essential reading! :flower:

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 07:17 PM
Good afternoon Mabel. I want to express my gratitude for your time in typing out your helpful responses and your genuine concern. I have done an egg yolk treatment about a month ago and it was not helpful. I have used reconstructors as well. I learned from this wonderful site that reconstructors are normally protein based. I am now aware of protein overload. Will this overload go away on its own?

Also I went to the kerastase site at 4 am after reading your recommendations and read the 5 star reviews for Oleo relax. I will order that asap. Thanks to you I also see that there is a Bain Magistral hair balm that I will order. I have used the masque with great but very temporary results, so I will also try the balm in hopes of amplifying the good results. I will work on the shampooing less but my scalp gets oily. I dont wear my hair up enough due to the sparsity but I will try that again with different tools. I look horrible with a bun though. :eek:

My last highlights on crown and root growth was in October of 2016. The stylist took another client as i sat in foils and I am sure she left me too long. Also on rinse out she came over and dumped a small amount of something all over my entire head without asking. It was so fast! She did it after shampoo girl rinsed the bleach out. I knew on the finger comb out that my hair did not like it. I think it was a toner but she said it was a gloss. I started Kerastase Therapiste system 4 products) pre poo treatment, shampoo, conditioner and serum) starting weeks after due to difficulty in getting my fingers through my hair from ears down. This regimen made my hair so wonderful but is loaded with so many silicones. Can silicones and daily washing/ blow drying be the culprit over the course of 2 years?

Anyway, big hugs for you for being extremely helpful. Thank you for caring. :blossom::flower::blossom:

Just a quick reply, I'll reply some more a little later! :) - but to address Olaplex - Olaplex is 'classed' as a protein treatment - although it works by bonding proteins already existing in your hair (not adding any more proteins to your hair). Problem is, although I have not tried it personally, there have been many girls claiming it has damaged their hair, with one girl quoting: "my hair still feels permanently coated in something and so brittle and dry. Caution to others considering it - do a test on your hair first "
I've even read a hairdressers shock and surprise after she used Olaplex and the damage it caused in her hair. She was trying it out before offering to her clients and was shocked and upset by the outcome. I can't recall where I read that story, but I had thought at the time, what a lovely hairdresser because she was careful to 'try' products before giving them to her clients, just to make sure it was okay. I was sorry to read that her hair had been damaged, and once again, she was posting a 'warning' to others to be helpful.

Here's a link discussing Olaplex that I found :
https://www.haircrazy.com/forum/dyeing/25650/olaplex-ruined-my-hair/

While it may be helpful to some, it may not work well for everyone - we all have different hair, some curly, some straight, some wavy..... some prone to dryness/oiliness.... etc etc, so it's always worth checking before using new products - I've learnt that one the hard way too, I used a particular shampoo and found that it absolutely dried my hair out, then when I did a search, found other girls complaining of the same thing with the exact same shampoo!

So, in my personal opinion, while your hair is dry and brittle, I would certainly ONLY hydrate and steer clear of any product that works on a 'protein' based mechanism.

And re the microfibre towels - I had purchased a set designed for salon use - I couldn't work out what was making my hair SOOO dry, until I realised it was the towels. Now, that's just my experience, could be the brand etc...., they weren't cheap mind you and were 'salon use brand'. My husband prompted me to wonder if it was the towels making my hair suddenly dry, because he dried his hands using one of the towels one day and complained how dry his hands felt afterwards. So I stopped using the microfibre towels and noticed how my hair went back to feeling normal (after a bit of TLC and hydrating), and I began using my good quality bath towels instead, simply gently dabbing the excess water, then putting my hair up with a clip to slowly dry (until I was ready to blow dry etc). Once again, some people might find them wonderful to use but that was just my experience and it surprised me how incredibly 'drying' the microfibre towels were on my hair. My husband got to score the towels though - for working on his prized BMWR75/76 motorcycle :)

Everyone is so different of course, but it's worth sharing experiences should that help others x

spidermom
January 3rd, 2019, 07:30 PM
I really like blotting excess water from my hair with a flannel pillowcase. I can't stand the way microfiber feels and regular bath towels seem too rough.

I think hair stylists have a totally different view of hair that we do around LHC. Although I don't want it for myself, highly processed hair can look beautiful. Comparing that to natural hair is kind of like comparing a manicured lawn to a meadow. To each his or her own, you know?

Ylva
January 3rd, 2019, 07:49 PM

Ideally, you should use Olaplex 2 or 3 after clarifying (or otherwise shampooing, preferably without film formers) your hair. Leave it on for at least 4 hours is my advice. Then, wash it off with shampoo and proceed with conditioning as you normally would.

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 07:58 PM
Thank you to all the lovely hellos :) and welcomes x

It's wonderful to realise you are not alone. And again, re the Olaplex - I haven't used it personally so I can't say from personal experience where others can and have found great results - like Cate36 :), but I've always found, you have to judge it based on what your own hair is feeling like, and go from there. No one knows your hair, as well as you! And I have learnt to read many reviews of products to help guide me :)

Aethyra - You can't go wrong with Kerastase Oleo Relax, I'm so pleased you've ordered it. And my pleasure, if I can help in any way I will certainly try and share my own experiences. It sounds like the hairdresser had left the bleach on for too long, and the toner...... Toner's can be drying too, so I'm not sure, but it sounds like it may have contributed to the damage. Yes, I had that with my original damage where the hairdresser put something on my hair - so quickly, as you say! - without consulting me or even telling me what she was going to do or was doing. She put this gloop on my hair, real fast, when I asked her what it was, she called it a 'treatment', then put me under a heat lamp. As a result, I lost more than half the volume of my hair. As I left the salon I felt my hair was so thin. When I got home, I realised the damage - particularly when I washed it. Then, I could see. I couldn't believe it. When I rang the salon, I asked her what it was, she seemed indifferent almost 'not caring', and said it was a protein treatment. I never asked for a protein treatment and to this day, I have no idea why she just decided to do something like that. I have NEVER been put under heat - and although I had politely requested for them to take the heat away (after 10 minutes) because it was giving such me a terrible headache.... I felt torn between being wanting to be polite to this hairdresser and confused by what was happening to me at the time. She seemed so indifferent to me, I barely knew her - she had been recommended by my 'friend' hairdresser. Her indifference added insult to injury, she truly didn't care and even sound like she meant to harm my hair. To this day, I have no idea why. I spent the next many nights crying over the mess of my once beautiful hair. That happened in 2015, and I am still growing out some of that damage. My 'friend' hairdresser continued the damage by using the wrong developer on my hair for over a year until I twigged and then I finally took control - and haven't looked back! So, that was my introduction to 'protein' and as I have wavy/curly hair, I have learnt a lot about what is good for my hair and what is not. Moisture is the thing that my hair craves.... and it never fails me. So my only advice is to be a little careful with products designed to encourage protein or 'build' or add protein.

And thank you Lapushka and others for mentioning the Feye's self trimming method! :) Does it really work? - as in, straight blunt cut across the back?? I have tried (not the Feye's method) and although even, have ended up with a slight U shape - every time!!, even though I'm trying to angle the cut etc to allow for bringing hair to the front..... Once you bring that hair from the nape of the neck to the front, it seems hard to avoid that U shape.... (!!) So I'm desperate to know if Fey'es actually works?? :) I cut my little daughter's hair and do it professionally (as in, sectioning etc) - and it truly looks so beautiful (I do an A line for her, and it suits her so much). I actually envy her! :) that she has someone to cut her hair so well with so much love!!! :) I truly love cutting my children's hair, I really enjoy it - and they do too! :)

So thank you for encouraging me to do Feye's method. May I ask, have you lovely girls tried it and ended up straight at the back?

Thank you again for all your warm welcomes - it really means a lot to me x I'll try to make my posts a little shorter from now on :) !!!!

Mabel
January 3rd, 2019, 08:34 PM
And PS Aethyra - I'm sure you look beautiful with your hair pinned back :) - give it a try, the natural oils in your hair are so important for your overall scalp/hair health x Even push it back to 2/3 days.... but definitely give it a try and you will find your hair will feel stronger, slowly over time.

By the way, my hair is fine but I have a lot of it, and it is more wavy/curly than straight. When I hold up a section of my hair in the light, you can see the last 8/9 months of thick healthy hair growth coming down..... you can literally see a timeline of good hair (under my care), and damaged hair (under the hairdressers' care), towards the ends of my hair where it is the thinnest (which is the beginning of the hairdresser damage saga!). It really is a forensic report ! :) You can tell a lot about what has happened to your hair by simply looking at the timeline of growth - and you can even pin down the 'point of change'.

It's unbelievable that some hairdressers do not understand the importance of healthy hair or how to treat hair carefully - nor do they seem interested to learn enough about it. They seem to have all the products in the world, and want to dazzle with trendy colours and new techniques etc.... but not many of them truly understand the basic health of hair. Your hair is connected to your scalp, which is your skin connected to your face. I noticed that when my hair was first damaged, my skin was dreadful as well. They are absolutely connected and as such, I feel it is so important to treat your hair with love and care. It may be growing and needs to be cut occasionally, but it is very much a part of our 'makeup' and overall health.

Watching hairdressers rubbing wet hair vigorously with a towel at the basin (sometimes even looking away and not paying attention), combing/brushing hard and pulling down from roots to ends on wet hair, blowdrying on high heat close to the hair (sometimes even leaning the hairdryer on the actual hair), leaving styling tools to sit on the hair (while seeing steam rise) in order to 'set the shape'..... slicing hair by dragging scissors down along the hair!!!.... I've seen all these things done and worse in 'salons' and it truly makes me cringe. Oh, the thought of ever stepping back into the salon...... No thank you. And I've known hairdressers personally - believe me, when they make mistakes, they are trained to have a poker face - they will NOT be honest and tell you. So, the client is left to feel like it might be something they are doing. I guess it's part of the trade, but I do feel it is dishonest and unfair.

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 11:15 PM
Chuckling aloud about the comment about using the microfibre towels for the prized BMW motorcycle. :laugh:

Thank you for the warning Mabel. I am not going to use that 3rd bottle of olaplex as it is not worth the risk.

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 11:24 PM
Watching hairdressers rubbing wet hair vigorously with a towel at the basin (sometimes even looking away and not paying attention), combing/brushing hard and pulling down from roots to ends on wet hair, blowdrying on high heat close to the hair (sometimes even leaning the hairdryer on the actual hair), leaving styling tools to sit on the hair (while seeing steam rise) in order to 'set the shape'..... slicing hair by dragging scissors down along the hair!!!.... I've seen all these things done and worse in 'salons' and it truly makes me cringe. Oh, the thought of ever stepping back into the salon...... No thank you. And I've known hairdressers personally - believe me, when they make mistakes, they are trained to have a poker face - they will NOT be honest and tell you. So, the client is left to feel like it might be something they are doing. I guess it's part of the trade, but I do feel it is dishonest and unfair.
And all as you are forced to fork over anywhere from 240.00 to 550.00 (with tip included)

Mabel
January 4th, 2019, 03:23 AM
And all as you are forced to fork over anywhere from 240.00 to 550.00 (with tip included)

Exactly! :rolleyes:

DaniGirl
January 4th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Here is something I will say with any professional in a trade including hairdressers. Their time has a value, so does their, experience, their skill, their tools as well as any chemical costs and any other materials used on their hair.

I am pro good hairdressers, and I know there are a lot of bad ones who chop too much don't listen, and over treat hair etc. I've grown up in the industry and it's not fair to undervalue their time just because you don't want one to touch your hair.

Let's start with the costs to become a hairdresser. They've paid for their initial training, where I am it's 1 year of training to become an apprentice and depending on where you train the cost ranges from $9-15k CAD. They also have a year of full-time training that they can't work to cover living costs, plus their books and starting tools. Decent tools to get you through school and your first 1-2 year in the industry can cost you easily $500 and up, they have to buy everything, scissors in different types, trimmers, hair dryers, curling irons, straightening irons, brushes and combs. They also aren't able to buy a non-commercial brand because a $20 hair dryer from Walmart will die incredibly quickly. They're a professional with professional tools, those tools will die and need to be sharpened and repaired in order for them to do their jobs. Here there is a Journeyperson's certificate you can write the exam for showing a high level of competency and skill both written and practical in the skills required to be a hairdresser. You can't work in or own a licensed salon here without either being a trained apprentice working under a journeyperson or being a journeyperson. There are very few people who are left working in the industry who aren't journeypersons because it wasn't brought in until about 30 years ago here, those people are classed as grandfathered in, they can work but they may not have apprentices working under them. It also costs money to prepare for and take your exams.

Now let's get into what they have to pay just to operate. They are either employed directly by a salon and are paid either commision or an hourly wage. Or they are renting, they can rent their own exclusive space, or they can rent a chair in an existing salon. if they're chair- renting they're charged an amount per month whether they are working or not, and no matter how busy their day is. Even if they have a home-based salon there are considerable financial costs in their set up, like plumbing, sinks, chairs, mirrors, organizers. As well as extra costs like, water, heat and electricity.

Their time has value, they have the reasonable expectation of making enough after they pay bills or their salon pays bills to earn a living wage to pay bills. A good stylist will have paid for extensive ongoing training and clinics to improve their skills and to keep their skills up to date. These skills are constantly updating and changing, that all costs money. A good stylist will also have several years of experience, they have spent years learning exactly how to mix and apply colour, exactly how to cut a certain type of hair and how to get the best out of their client's hair. That experience is often reflected in the price they charge.

Let's start with the amount of time it takes to do an average hair appointment. A wash, cut, blow dry and style takes on average a 60-minute appointment. A single colour process like touching up roots takes about the same, plus any time added on for cutting and styling. I had a brunette to red balayage done in April. It took 6 hours to go through, during which a stylist often can't do anything else because they need to be watching the different stages continuously and only have 1 chair to work with. Every single thing a stylist does to your hair takes time.

The price will factor in things like the costs of shampoo, conditioners as well as any extra treatments that are done to your hair. Costs of chemical treatments will also include things like the cost of hair colour, developer, peroxide and any other product they use. Where I am the stylist price for a tube of 1 hair colour starts for entry-level brands at $15 for 1 tube, higher end colours often get better results and cost a lot more. The most recent one I had done on my hair, including, bleach, peroxide, developer, 3 different colours used cost wholesale cost alone $55CAD. That's just product costs with zero mark up.

There is a reason why it can cost a lot to go to a salon and see a good stylist to get your hair done. That doesn't mean that every stylist is necessarily good or worth a high amount of money, especially new stylists and apprentices.

I understand seeing a professional stylist isn't for everyone, and many people can have bad experiences, but please don't tear down an entire profession, their skills qualifications and value of their time as trained professionals, by implying that there is zero value in what they do. You wouldn't do it to a lawyer, doctor, electrician or mechanic, please don't do it to a stylist.

Ylva
January 4th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I am not going to use that 3rd bottle of olaplex as it is not worth the risk.

You can donate it to me. I’ll gladly use it up for you. ;)

aethyra
January 4th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Here is something I will say with any professional in a trade including hairdressers. Their time has a value, so does their, experience, their skill, their tools as well as any chemical costs and any other materials used on their hair.

I am pro good hairdressers, and I know there are a lot of bad ones who chop too much don't listen, and over treat hair etc. I've grown up in the industry and it's not fair to undervalue their time just because you don't want one to touch your hair.

Let's start with the costs to become a hairdresser. They've paid for their initial training, where I am it's 1 year of training to become an apprentice and depending on where you train the cost ranges from $9-15k CAD. They also have a year of full-time training that they can't work to cover living costs, plus their books and starting tools. Decent tools to get you through school and your first 1-2 year in the industry can cost you easily $500 and up, they have to buy everything, scissors in different types, trimmers, hair dryers, curling irons, straightening irons, brushes and combs. They also aren't able to buy a non-commercial brand because a $20 hair dryer from Walmart will die incredibly quickly. They're a professional with professional tools, those tools will die and need to be sharpened and repaired in order for them to do their jobs. Here there is a Journeyperson's certificate you can write the exam for showing a high level of competency and skill both written and practical in the skills required to be a hairdresser. You can't work in or own a licensed salon here without either being a trained apprentice working under a journeyperson or being a journeyperson. There are very few people who are left working in the industry who aren't journeypersons because it wasn't brought in until about 30 years ago here, those people are classed as grandfathered in, they can work but they may not have apprentices working under them. It also costs money to prepare for and take your exams.

Now let's get into what they have to pay just to operate. They are either employed directly by a salon and are paid either commision or an hourly wage. Or they are renting, they can rent their own exclusive space, or they can rent a chair in an existing salon. if they're chair- renting they're charged an amount per month whether they are working or not, and no matter how busy their day is. Even if they have a home-based salon there are considerable financial costs in their set up, like plumbing, sinks, chairs, mirrors, organizers. As well as extra costs like, water, heat and electricity.

Their time has value, they have the reasonable expectation of making enough after they pay bills or their salon pays bills to earn a living wage to pay bills. A good stylist will have paid for extensive ongoing training and clinics to improve their skills and to keep their skills up to date. These skills are constantly updating and changing, that all costs money. A good stylist will also have several years of experience, they have spent years learning exactly how to mix and apply colour, exactly how to cut a certain type of hair and how to get the best out of their client's hair. That experience is often reflected in the price they charge.

Let's start with the amount of time it takes to do an average hair appointment. A wash, cut, blow dry and style takes on average a 60-minute appointment. A single colour process like touching up roots takes about the same, plus any time added on for cutting and styling. I had a brunette to red balayage done in April. It took 6 hours to go through, during which a stylist often can't do anything else because they need to be watching the different stages continuously and only have 1 chair to work with. Every single thing a stylist does to your hair takes time.

The price will factor in things like the costs of shampoo, conditioners as well as any extra treatments that are done to your hair. Costs of chemical treatments will also include things like the cost of hair colour, developer, peroxide and any other product they use. Where I am the stylist price for a tube of 1 hair colour starts for entry-level brands at $15 for 1 tube, higher end colours often get better results and cost a lot more. The most recent one I had done on my hair, including, bleach, peroxide, developer, 3 different colours used cost wholesale cost alone $55CAD. That's just product costs with zero mark up.

There is a reason why it can cost a lot to go to a salon and see a good stylist to get your hair done. That doesn't mean that every stylist is necessarily good or worth a high amount of money, especially new stylists and apprentices.

I understand seeing a professional stylist isn't for everyone, and many people can have bad experiences, but please don't tear down an entire profession, their skills qualifications and value of their time as trained professionals, by implying that there is zero value in what they do. You wouldn't do it to a lawyer, doctor, electrician or mechanic, please don't do it to a stylist.
I agree with the costs for education and time. That is why i have in the past forked over 500.00 to Dino of Palm Beach as a master colorist to highlight my roots only and cut. He is amazing and caused zero damage. But there are so many who overlap onto bleached hair when doing partial highlights then rip through your hair on the combout with zero regard.

I have screamed out in pain before from thatfrwaking paddle brush. Then see them pulling out all that freshly bleached hair from the brush as they go. I have NEVER had a stylist gently comb through my tresses post wash. They whip out the paddle brush like a crazed lunatic in such a rush and get so freaking upset if you dare to say a word.

Dino did allow be to use my fingers and a wide tooth comb on my hair but i cant afford that massive price tag.

Besides that, I cant do highlights anymore after a lazy ass colorist dumped an unknown vial on my head during rinse out. Thanks to her, my bottom 10 inches of hair (the final highlights) are completely destroyed. I know she overlapped in the back!! When I initially said, when sitting in chair at the start " please dont overlap" she said " what is overlapping? " WTF? I should have walked right then. But i explained and she said she would never do that..

Using exclusively kerastase products over the next 2 years and cutting 6 to 8 inches per year since that last fateful october 2016 day, I got rid of most of the damage, or disguised it; yet I suddenly had such intense breakage and matting all through 2018 from our city adding additional chlorine to our water supply.

She probably used a 30 developer AND overlapped. How stupid does a person have to be to not know NOT to put bleach in previously bleached hair or understand the term overlapping when highlighting partially. Cost with tip= 300.00. She blazed out of the salon during combout saying she had to go to church. I still tipped her 50.00 for her time too!!

You act as if education in hair costs 100 grand for the initial certificate for state licensing. My sister is a doctor. Does that give her the right to rush through exams because she has other patients waiting and/or be careless and/or incompetent with flagrant disregard for the outcome of her patients once they leave her office?

Puhleeeeeease!!! I am complaining about bad results from being careless and sloppy, not the money! I am worth it baby! Stylists who ruin hair should be sanctioned and sued!! Or let me get them in the chair and dump **** all over their heads then leave that person sitting to take on a quick 70.00 hair cut client.

nycelle
January 4th, 2019, 01:29 PM
I agree with the costs for education and time. That is why i have in the past forked over 500.00 to Dino of Palm Beach as a master colorist to highlight my roots only and cut. He is amazing and caused zero damage. But there are so many who overlap onto bleached hair ehen doing partial highlights then rip through your hair on the combout with zero regard. I have NEVER had a stylist gently comb through my tresses post eash. They whip out the paddle brush like a crazed lunatic in such a rush and get so freaking upset if you dare to say a word. Dino did allow ne tp use my fingers and a wide tooth comb on my hair but i cabt afford that massive price tag.

Besides that, I cant do highlights anymore after a lazy ass colorist dumped an unknown vial on my head during rinse out. Thanks to her, my bottom 10 inches of hair ( the final highlights) are completely destroyed. I know she overlapped in the back!! When I initially said " please dont iverlap" she said " what is overlapping? " WTF? using exclusively kerastase products over the next 2 years and cutting 6 to 8 inches per year since that last fateful october 2016 day, got rid of most of the damage, or disguised it; I suddenly had such intense breakage and matting all through 2018 from our city adding additional chlorine to our water supply.

She probabmy used a 30 developer and overlapped. How stupiddpes a oerson have to be to not know NOT to put bleach in previously bleached hair or understand the term iverlapping when highlighting partially. Cost with tip= 300.00. She blazed out of the salon during combout sayibg she had to go to church.

You act as if education in hair costs 100 grand. My sister is a doctor. Does that give her the right to rush through exams because sge has other patients waiting and/or be careless and/or incompetent with flagrant disregard for the outcome of her patients once they leave her office?

Puhleeeeeease!!!

The highlighted bit gave me a chuckle. Actually yes, most do this thanks to the crappy healthcare HMO system in the US.
Medical doctors time their exams so they can see the most people, in the least amount of time. Let's not pretend this isn't a common practice.

Sparkles122
January 4th, 2019, 01:50 PM
I’m sorry but in my case, what I experienced was pure negligence. Leaving bleach on someone’s head is just not ok. I know this now, when it was happening I did not. I shouldnt have had to. I was paying a professional who should have known. I understand that not all hairdressers are bad, but Id rather not go through any more trials to find out. So it just baffles me how someone could be so careless

DaniGirl
January 4th, 2019, 02:09 PM
I agree with the costs for education and time. That is why i have in the past forked over 500.00 to Dino of Palm Beach as a master colorist to highlight my roots only and cut. He is amazing and caused zero damage. But there are so many who overlap onto bleached hair when doing partial highlights then rip through your hair on the combout with zero regard.

I have screamed out in pain before from thatfrwaking paddle brush. Then see them pulling out all that freshly bleached hair from the brush as they go. I have NEVER had a stylist gently comb through my tresses post wash. They whip out the paddle brush like a crazed lunatic in such a rush and get so freaking upset if you dare to say a word.

Dino did allow be to use my fingers and a wide tooth comb on my hair but i cant afford that massive price tag.

Besides that, I cant do highlights anymore after a lazy ass colorist dumped an unknown vial on my head during rinse out. Thanks to her, my bottom 10 inches of hair (the final highlights) are completely destroyed. I know she overlapped in the back!! When I initially said, when sitting in chair at the start " please dont overlap" she said " what is overlapping? " WTF? I should have walked right then. But i explained and she said she would never do that..

Using exclusively kerastase products over the next 2 years and cutting 6 to 8 inches per year since that last fateful october 2016 day, I got rid of most of the damage, or disguised it; yet I suddenly had such intense breakage and matting all through 2018 from our city adding additional chlorine to our water supply.

She probably used a 30 developer AND overlapped. How stupid does a person have to be to not know NOT to put bleach in previously bleached hair or understand the term overlapping when highlighting partially. Cost with tip= 300.00. She blazed out of the salon during combout saying she had to go to church. I still tipped her 50.00 for her time too!!

You act as if education in hair costs 100 grand for the initial certificate for state licensing. My sister is a doctor. Does that give her the right to rush through exams because she has other patients waiting and/or be careless and/or incompetent with flagrant disregard for the outcome of her patients once they leave her office?

Puhleeeeeease!!! I am complaining about bad results from being careless and sloppy, not the money! I am worth it baby! Stylists who ruin hair should be sanctioned and sued!! Or let me get them in the chair and dump **** all over their heads then leave that person sitting to take on a quick 70.00 hair cut client.

Not one of those questionable activities is the sign of a good stylist. A good stylist is worth their weight in gold. Most of that isn't even old training it's no training or lack of knowledge and skill. especially brushing wet hair and forcefully. I've never had a stylist ever whip out a brush to use on it wet to detangle, maybe to blow it dry. Maybe I've just never experienced a bad stylist. Serious red flag if you have to explain in detail what an actual hairdressing term is. An even larger red flag that someone has open vials and bottles near a sink where an accident could happen, like dumping chemical on to someone's hair. 30 volume developer can certainly be used, but it should be balanced properly and watched like a hawk. You should always be having a thorough consult every single time. Laziness skipping that and making sure you're happy and comfortable is another red flag.

Education in hair doesn't cost $100k but last time I checked the average stylist isn't charging you $200 for a 15-minute appointment as doctors do, or $500 an hour consult as lawyers do. That doesn't mean that their time doesn't have value, however, I find most have rates that are in line with their skill and experience level, those that don't word of mouth and reviews are wonderful ways of correcting shoddy overpriced work. It's hard to overcharge if you screw up, don't have a good portfolio and don't have good quality. As you've stated there's a drastic difference between the results of a $500 set of highlights and obviously poorly done and inferior ones.

A hairdresser is going to be like any other person you deal with, some are excellent, some are average, some are good, some are poor and some are terrible and should never be allowed near scissors or a colour bowl ever again.

I understand you're incredibly unhappy with your most recent salon experiences, you have every right to be. It sounds like they've been completely atrocious. I would be incredibly wary and just as mad as you if I'd experienced the same. However hairdressers are a trade, they do have skills and training and their time does have value. The crappy ones are definitely worth a heck of a lot less than the good ones. Unfortunately as with many things sometimes finding a good one is incredibly hard without breaking the bank. I only encourage you to please not tar the entire profession with the same brush, and please remember and respect that they are a professional and their, time and skills do have value, and that is why the good ones can cost a lot for an appointment.

DaniGirl
January 4th, 2019, 02:13 PM
I’m sorry but in my case, what I experienced was pure negligence. Leaving bleach on someone’s head is just not ok. I know this now, when it was happening I did not. I shouldnt have had to. I was paying a professional who should have known. I understand that not all hairdressers are bad, but Id rather not go through any more trials to find out. So it just baffles me how someone could be so careless

It definitely was, poor ****ty behaviour is still poor ****ty behaviour. I'm certainly not advocating for crappy stylists who overcharge. Simply stating that for those good stylists, you pay a lot to see, who have consistently good results and referrals. There is a reason that the appointment can cost a lot of money.

Sparkles122
January 4th, 2019, 02:17 PM
It definitely was, poor ****ty behaviour is still poor ****ty behaviour. I'm certainly not advocating for crappy stylists who overcharge. Simply stating that for those good stylists, you pay a lot to see, who have consistently good results and referrals. There is a reason that the appointment can cost a lot of money.

Oh absolutely. If I knew for a sure fact that the stylist would do an excellent job and I would love it, I would pay for quality work

DaniGirl
January 4th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Oh absolutely. If I knew for a sure fact that the stylist would do an excellent job and I would love it, I would pay for quality work

I've read your thread, I know after your most recent experience and that stylist's horrific behaviour you might never trust one with your hair ever again and honestly, it's completely understandable. We're here because our hair is important to us. We love it have goals with it, monitor and check it like crazy. We want to get to the point of our best possible hair, what that means for each of us might mean something completely different.

If you ever decide that you do want to visit a stylist again. Start with looking for referrals, check which of your friends with hair in good condition that looks amazing, ask them who they go to, especially when unstyled, good hair should look good even up in a ponytail after not being washed or styled. Check reviews, check photos, research and get referrals from people with hair like yours, you'll see a consistent list of who does the best work in your area. Honestly if you see someone with your hair type and your goal hair, even if they're a stranger don't be afraid to say that you love their hair and ask them where they get it done. Check how much they have for experience and what their qualifications. I wouldn't trust my hair ever to someone who'd been doing hair for less than 6-7 years. It takes time to get to the point that you're at a reasonably competent and skilled level that I'm trusting you with my hair.

Most of all make sure you're comfortable with your stylist. Don't be afraid to ask for a consult, don't be afraid to keep a list of what your goals are and what you're looking for and go through with them before a comb or scissor goes near your hair, exactly what your goals and expectations are. Have photos of what you're looking for ready to go and make sure they're realistic for your hair colour and type. Especially don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and your hair. It's your hair, you're a paying customer and they should be listening and understanding exactly what you want before anything is done to your hair. If they don't be prepared to walk away from the appointment. If they're not comfortable doing what you've asked walk. If they're uncomfortable it's a sign. Don't be afraid to ask questions especially during anything you don't understand or can't see. And of course be prepared to pay possibly more than you're expecting for an excellent stylist. If you're having any sort of chemical treatment, make sure your stylist has a thorough list of anything chemical on your hair, I've seen some terrible things come from not telling a stylist honestly whats on your hair, due to how it's chemically interacted.

But most of all make sure you are happy and comfortable with what is being done to your hair, and of course, that might mean no hairdresser at all and taking care of it yourself. Each person has their own comfort level based on their experiences and you should do what makes you happiest and most comfortable.

aethyra
January 4th, 2019, 03:03 PM
I want to clarify that ny signature pic hair photos were done by a master colorist in Ft Lauderdale. Destiny at Sullo Salon. She did a 2 part process with highlights and Bayalage. She did such a good job that mere Tresemme conditioner would comb right through my hair. No breaks, snarls or tangles with daily shampoo, conditioner and blow dry on low heat and finger styling. My signature pic is from 2015 or so. Posted because I never thought to take pictures of the back of my hair. But she did. So.. If you want the vest blondage fly in to see Destiny at Sullo on US1 and Oakland Park in Ft. Laud.
Zero damage!! So it CAN be done. She is really amazing!

The lady who ruined my hair is Sheila in Boca Raton.

nycelle
January 4th, 2019, 03:16 PM
I want to clarify that ny signature pic hair photos were done by a master colorist in Ft Lauderdale. Destiny at Sullo Salon. She did a 2 part process with highlights and Bayalage. She did such a good job that mere Tresemme conditioner would comb right through my hair. No breaks, snarls or tangles with daily shampoo, conditioner and blow dry on low heat and finger styling. My signature pic is from 2015 or so. Posted because I never thought to take pictures of the back of my hair. But she did. So.. If you want the vest blondage fly in to see Destiny at Sullo on US1 and Oakland Park in Ft. Laud.
Zero damage!! So it CAN be done. She is really amazing!

The lady who ruined my hair is Sheila in Boca Raton.

I generally go down to Delray Beach once a year to visit my parents when they're in Fl.

There have been times when I've considered going to a salon for wash/blow out just because it's so hot, and I'm too lazy to do my hair. Now I know where not to go- so thanks for posting the name.

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Mabel, if microfiber dries too fast (I typically leave mine on about 30 min.) then by all means use the towels that work for you! :flower:

And thank you Lapushka and others for mentioning the Feye's self trimming method! :) Does it really work? - as in, straight blunt cut across the back?? I have tried (not the Feye's method) and although even, have ended up with a slight U shape - every time!!, even though I'm trying to angle the cut etc to allow for bringing hair to the front..... Once you bring that hair from the nape of the neck to the front, it seems hard to avoid that U shape.... (!!) So I'm desperate to know if Fey'es actually works?? :) I cut my little daughter's hair and do it professionally (as in, sectioning etc) - and it truly looks so beautiful (I do an A line for her, and it suits her so much). I actually envy her! :) that she has someone to cut her hair so well with so much love!!! :) I truly love cutting my children's hair, I really enjoy it - and they do too! :)

So thank you for encouraging me to do Feye's method. May I ask, have you lovely girls tried it and ended up straight at the back?

Thank you again for all your warm welcomes - it really means a lot to me x I'll try to make my posts a little shorter from now on :) !!!!

I have used Feye's method when my hair had an even blunt cut (no layers). It works well. spidermom has her own version on the method, so if she could chime in here, it makes cutting even easier.

These days I have layers in my hair. I use a different method for cutting the hair (ponytail on the forehead and cut a bit off). But these home-layering methods are for hair that is longer than waist for sure. Otherwise you might end up looking like an 80s rocker dude. :)

aethyra
January 4th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Mabel! I live love love your long posts!

Skunklover
January 4th, 2019, 04:13 PM
I know EXACTLY where you are coming from and how you are feeling. I myself am recovering from a bad situation with bleachings from one particular stylist. She said “yeah you can definitely get to the level blonde you want” needless to say 8 bleaching sessions and almost $1000 later I never got ANYWHERE near the promised color. I had to dye it back to dark brown and cut off almost 10 inches. Now I am on my journey to long healthy hair!!!

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 04:17 PM
I know EXACTLY where you are coming from and how you are feeling. I myself am recovering from a bad situation with bleachings from one particular stylist. She said “yeah you can definitely get to the level blonde you want” needless to say 8 bleaching sessions and almost $1000 later I never got ANYWHERE near the promised color. I had to dye it back to dark brown and cut off almost 10 inches. Now I am on my journey to long healthy hair!!!

$1000! And still no result. I would have complained my booty off. :(

So sorry that happened to you! :flower:

aethyra
January 4th, 2019, 04:57 PM
I generally go down to Delray Beach once a year to visit my parents when they're in Fl.

There have been times when I've considered going to a salon for wash/blow out just because it's so hot, and I'm too lazy to do my hair. Now I know where not to go- so thanks for posting the name.

Certainly PM me if you are coming this season and get bored. We can head downtown and I will take you to lunch!

Mabel
January 5th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Mabel! I live love love your long posts!

Thank you Aethyra! :) Also! I wanted to mention: One Kerastase product that I have used and still use occasionally, and found REALLY helpful for my dry ends is Nutritive Masque Magistral - 'for severely dried out hair'. It is Fantastic. I actually find it too heavy for my roots, but I apply it to the mid length to ends, leave in for 5 mins, and I do find it is extremely nourishing for my poor damaged ends. If you haven't tried it yet, please do as I think you'll find it helpful. Use it sparingly - my tub has lasted me for over 6 months as I only use it once every couple of weeks or when I need to. I also 'double moisturise' after I shampoo - sometimes using the Rich Repair leaving it on for a bit, then follow up with the mid-ends heavier Kerastase treatment and leave on for an extra 5 mins. I also try to change my treatments, as I find my hair responds better to changing products - rather than using the same all the time.... except Oleo Relax Shampoo! That one I never change! :)

Sorry, I should've mentioned that product in my first reply to you, but I honestly haven't used it in a while and had forgotten how amazing it is (and heavy!) until I noticed it in my cupboard this morning and thought to mention it to you. I seriously have enough hair products to open a store! :) Definitely try it if you haven't already, as it may help x

Mabel
January 5th, 2019, 09:58 PM
Mabel, if microfiber dries too fast (I typically leave mine on about 30 min.) then by all means use the towels that work for you! :flower:

I have used Feye's method when my hair had an even blunt cut (no layers). It works well. spidermom has her own version on the method, so if she could chime in here, it makes cutting even easier.

These days I have layers in my hair. I use a different method for cutting the hair (ponytail on the forehead and cut a bit off). But these home-layering methods are for hair that is longer than waist for sure. Otherwise you might end up looking like an 80s rocker dude. :)

Thank you Lapushka! Yes, my hair length is just below shoulder (I'm trying to grow it and doing okay.... but it takes time of course!). So, given the length, I don't think I would be able to do it well by myself - unfortunately. So thank you so much for the reply and for the heads up! :) I'm not too keen on the 80s rocker dude look :) - not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you're after!! :)

Thanks again x

Mabel
January 5th, 2019, 10:01 PM
PS - my hair was much longer, but after the damage, I had it all cut off to just above shoulder.... just to try to start again with 'healthier' hair. My hair had been that badly damaged, I had no choice sadly.