PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Hair Growth

LittleOgre
January 2nd, 2019, 01:16 PM
I had to cut the back of my hair because since my hair is pretty short... and the back just looked like a really ugly mullet... Is it just me or do any of you guys notice some parts of your hair growing like weed but others taking there sweet old time. The mullet is coming back again and I love the fact that my hair is growing extremely fast. a little over 2 inches in the back but it's just starting to look so weird again... around the front of my hair. its growing a little over an inch and the sides grow just about an inch. so basicaly the avergae growth is an inch. I dont count the rest because I know I'm going to cut if until my hair hits shoulder length then Ill let the weird length go on. and then I have those few locs where one is only growing the average rate. half an inch and a few others that are so long... more than two inches that I'm forced to re tighten so it doesn't fall out. Wish it was my whole head... because I cut it off anyways to make it look even with the rest of the locs. would be weird if the majority of my hair is like 5-8 inches and then have a couple locs that are at my shoulder. xD But yeah. Is it just me with this weird out of wack genetics or do you guys experience uneven hair growth throughout your head? like do you have strands of hair that somehow just outpass the rest of the hair and others that are just growing so slow. Also oddly enough. The small part of my hair behind my ear that almost reaches 3 inches in less than a month is the most sensitive. just touching it the wrong way hurts really bad. Hard to explain but its kind of like a more painful version of hurting ur funny bone. The back area is sensitive as well but not as sensitive as that little part.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2019, 01:31 PM
I had to cut the back of my hair because since my hair is pretty short... and the back just looked like a really ugly mullet... Is it just me or do any of you guys notice some parts of your hair growing like weed but others taking there sweet old time. The mullet is coming back again and I love the fact that my hair is growing extremely fast. a little over 2 inches in the back but it's just starting to look so weird again... around the front of my hair. its growing a little over an inch and the sides grow just about an inch. so basicaly the avergae growth is an inch. I dont count the rest because I know I'm going to cut if until my hair hits shoulder length then Ill let the weird length go on. and then I have those few locs where one is only growing the average rate. half an inch and a few others that are so long... more than two inches that I'm forced to re tighten so it doesn't fall out. Wish it was my whole head... because I cut it off anyways to make it look even with the rest of the locs. would be weird if the majority of my hair is like 5-8 inches and then have a couple locs that are at my shoulder. xD But yeah. Is it just me with this weird out of wack genetics or do you guys experience uneven hair growth throughout your head? like do you have strands of hair that somehow just outpass the rest of the hair and others that are just growing so slow. Also oddly enough. The small part of my hair behind my ear that almost reaches 3 inches in less than a month is the most sensitive. just touching it the wrong way hurts really bad. Hard to explain but its kind of like a more painful version of hurting ur funny bone. The back area is sensitive as well but not as sensitive as that little part.

Nope, my hair grows just about evenly all over. I had my trim yesterday. I ponytail on the top of the forehead for layering. And the hem, I mean the ponytail, looked a tad uneven, "bitten into", but that's all the unevenness I got. A 1 inch trim "covered" the unevenness, so it wasn't too bad. I think I can count myself lucky. This is after 2 years+ of no trimming. November 2016 was my last trim.

That is crazy growth.
Doesn't the trim unravel your locs, though?

spidermom
January 2nd, 2019, 01:36 PM
It's pretty common really. Take a look at the fairy tale ends thread. Untrimmed hair takes all kinds of shapes.

Cinnamonagouti
January 2nd, 2019, 01:49 PM
It's pretty common really. Take a look at the fairy tale ends thread. Untrimmed hair takes all kinds of shapes.
Do you have a link to that thread? I can't find it.

LittleOgre
January 2nd, 2019, 02:16 PM
Nope, my hair grows just about evenly all over. I had my trim yesterday. I ponytail on the top of the forehead for layering. And the hem, I mean the ponytail, looked a tad uneven, "bitten into", but that's all the unevenness I got. A 1 inch trim "covered" the unevenness, so it wasn't too bad. I think I can count myself lucky. This is after 2 years+ of no trimming. November 2016 was my last trim.

That is crazy growth.
Doesn't the trim unravel your locs, though?

Yeah it does unravel them just a slight bit but then I just get curly ends which I prefer over blunt ends anyway. My mom still has a hard time believing the back of my hair growing that fast even though she touches my hair a lot. Honestly even though it happened to me. Id be skeptical if anyone told the grew almost 3 inches in a month lol. At least there whole head lol.

blackgothicdoll
January 2nd, 2019, 04:01 PM
I used to have bangs, and when they grew back it seemed like they came back in at a quicker rate than the rest of my hair. It also would appear that the sides of my hair grow slower, but I think it was because I was wearing tight buns for awhile and didn't retain the length. I still have a weird mullet thing too. :( I think that's just my fate. lol.

ArabellaRose
January 2nd, 2019, 04:36 PM
The hair towards to the front of my hair line seems to grow slower than the back, it's quite frustrating!

lithostoic
January 2nd, 2019, 04:51 PM
My hair grows slowest in the front and fastest in the back. You can observe this by looking at my bleach demarcation! It looks u shaped from the back. My hemline also forms into a v shape when I go long periods without a trim.

LittleOgre
January 3rd, 2019, 03:53 AM
I used to have bangs, and when they grew back it seemed like they came back in at a quicker rate than the rest of my hair. It also would appear that the sides of my hair grow slower, but I think it was because I was wearing tight buns for awhile and didn't retain the length. I still have a weird mullet thing too. :( I think that's just my fate. lol.

Arent you going to shape it?

Tinyponies
January 3rd, 2019, 07:29 AM
I have the same genetic mullet tendency lol but I adore the shape of fairy tale ends. I couldn’t find the thread either and would love to get on there if anyone can find it.

Danglish
January 3rd, 2019, 08:02 AM
I have noticed this as well. I feel like the hairs at the very back of my head near the spine grows much faster than the rest, and that it looks ragged after a while. I don't know how much this has to do with layers, but I've also noticed that it has to be severely damaged for me to even tell the difference between uneven growth and damage. I believe this is because the variations in length and waves mimics breakage somewhat(my hair is very silky in texture, so damages are not that visible)

MoreSky
January 3rd, 2019, 08:09 AM
Mine grows at different rates in different areas, but some of the growth is perceptual due to thickness. The two back "corners", the back area behind the ears seem to get bushy very quickly. I also notice uneven growth on any area I use castor oil, especially in the front. Although I get good growth results from castor oil, I feel the need to trim the unevenness thereby essentially negating the growth. Another reason to leave well enough alone. Sigh.

CopperButterfly
January 3rd, 2019, 08:17 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40313&page=81

Here's the fairytale ends thread. A lot of older pictures are missing, but there are still some good ones.

Tinyponies
January 3rd, 2019, 08:33 AM
Thank you CopperButterfly :flower:

sophia_
January 3rd, 2019, 02:25 PM
I have coarser (but still fine) hairs on the underside that can grow pretty fast and are pretty dense and a canopy of superfine spiderweb less-dense hair that grows slower than the rest. The pieces in the very front take forever to grow. I don't worry about it so much any more, I'm the only one who notices it.

AutobotsAttack
January 3rd, 2019, 05:48 PM
It’s kind of a given that hair doesn’t grow evenly, since our heads aren’t shaped horizontally. Hence, the back of your hair having a head start compared to the hair above your foreheads

Taliesin
January 3rd, 2019, 06:05 PM
Yep, I also find the front of mine absolutely grows slower than the back. For me the front is also finer and more prone to damage so there's that too.

lithostoic
January 4th, 2019, 05:49 AM
It’s kind of a given that hair doesn’t grow evenly, since our heads aren’t shaped horizontally. Hence, the back of your hair having a head start compared to the hair above your foreheads

I think you misinterpreted, though the visual of a horizontal head made me laugh! My virgin roots are about 2-3 inches longer in the middle back of my head despite it being the same layer of hair. Some people's hair really does grow at different rates throughout their head.

Lady Stardust
January 4th, 2019, 06:09 AM
My hair grows faster at the back, it would form a U hemline within a few months if I didn’t have it trimmed. The hair that grows from my temples grows incredibly slowly.

ArabellaRose
January 4th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Yep, I also find the front of mine absolutely grows slower than the back. For me the front is also finer and more prone to damage so there's that too.

Definitely this is a factor for me also. Additionally I'm still growing out layering at the front and microtrimming the back to try to even it out. It'll take time but I have faith it'll even out eventually!

LittleOgre
January 4th, 2019, 07:04 AM

Even when the hair is trimmed to even everything out. The back of my hair outpaced the front and I have a few strands that just grows faster than all of my head even though I'll cut it out to even it. I can understand what you mean by the back of the hair getting a head start but I cut the back of my hair shorter than the rest because I knew it grew faster. The back was half the amount of inches compared to the front and now it's outpacing the front again.

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Even when the hair is trimmed to even everything out. The back of my hair outpaced the front and I have a few strands that just grows faster than all of my head even though I'll cut it out to even it. I can understand what you mean by the back of the hair getting a head start but I cut the back of my hair shorter than the rest because I knew it grew faster. The back was half the amount of inches compared to the front and now it's outpacing the front again.

But isn't that the idea that your hemline travels down, LittleOgre? Or are you getting rid of layers?

I would just let it grow, see where it takes you, but I tend to say that a lot. LOL!

MusicalSpoons
January 4th, 2019, 08:31 AM

That's totally normal. It's why people want to trim to 'even up the hemline' when there's no damage. You'll also find people talking about their 'racer hairs' when nearing milestones, because even on the same posts of your head some hairs will grow faster than the rest :)

blackgothicdoll
January 4th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Arent you going to shape it?

Nope, my hair grows like that, if I cut it I'll never grow my hair out. It's only noticeable if I don't style my hair, which I never do.

LittleOgre
January 5th, 2019, 01:16 PM
That's totally normal. It's why people want to trim to 'even up the hemline' when there's no damage. You'll also find people talking about their 'racer hairs' when nearing milestones, because even on the same posts of your head some hairs will grow faster than the rest :)

Wonder why that is honestly