PDA

View Full Version : I give up

Soulina
January 1st, 2019, 11:37 PM
My hair is now BCL, barely. Its super fine and kinda thin. I can never enjoy it as it is so fragile. Watching all my friends easily growing to where I am and their hair just looking so much better. Few days of keeping my hair down and loosing inch of my lenght. I just cant take it anymore. I want long and thick hair. I have booked appointment to get my hair in to dreads. They are not called dreads here but tangles(takut). I can finally just grow my hair long without stressing so much about not damaging it. I think this makes me more happy than constantly worrying about my hair not being good enough.

blackgothicdoll
January 2nd, 2019, 12:02 AM
Are you sure, and are you happy with your decision? If those two answers are yes, then that is all that matters. :)

I would love to see pictures when/if you do.

Soulina
January 2nd, 2019, 12:30 AM
Yes, ever since I decided that that is what I want I have dreamed every night about my new hair. It is all I wanted I want long thick hair that I can show to people. Even my mother thinks it is the best thing for me (I was sure she was going to be opposed to the idea). i have played around with the idea for few years, so it was not over night idea and studied dreads. But now it is so close 12th of February (my birthday) is they day when I will get my baby locks.

HazyMoon
January 2nd, 2019, 12:32 AM
Out of curiosity, is your hair breaking off at the ends when you wear it down? Was it recently damaged, or are the bits at the end fragile from their age?

Soulina
January 2nd, 2019, 12:44 AM
They are fragile because of age and simply because my one hair is so fine. Its nearly transparent and you cant feel it at all between your fingers. It tangles easily from anything, no matter how healthy. I would never achieve full hemline of my dreams.

TreesOfEternity
January 2nd, 2019, 03:00 AM
If that makes you happy I say go for it :) Just take into account how dreads look on fine hair, it has nothing to do with the look of dreads on a 4 type hair, you will have just a few of them and the scalp between them will be very visible all the time. Plus having a pixie when you decide you don’t want them anymore.

leayellena
January 2nd, 2019, 03:09 AM
my hair is fine too, I have farytale ends due to growing out a long pixie, my hemline is an M but my hair has grown a bit past tbl (I sat on it since mid nov.). do you know if you have hard water in your area? hard water causes a lot of damage. do you use silicone conditioners? I know they weigh down your hair but they do their job on the ends (who knows how your hair reacts to cones); or use oils on the length.

LittleHealthy
January 2nd, 2019, 03:12 AM
My hair is extremely thin and fine (thicker at the moment due to my recent pregnancy but all falling out again now), and I had dreadlocks, plus worked installing dreadlocks on other people for the past 10yrs for a side-job! I still do it now.
Here’s a couple of tips I give women with thinner hair:
Small sections are best - you’ll start with very thin dreadlocks but they DO shrink, usually at least by 1/3 of overall length.
Decide whether to dreadlock just one section of the scalp (the ears down etc) or not. I kept the top of my head with regular hair so that I could smooth it over my dreads on the fuzzy days. Plus it can make for a softer look.
You can absolutely brush dreadlocks out if you decide not to have them anymore, but you do need to cut them off to shoulder length or so, to brush them out more easily. It takes a long time too, maybe one dread each day!

Lastly, please remember that for the first 6 or so months they will look messy on most days. You grew to BCL with your thin hair and exercised the utmost of patience - this patience will be handy for the dreadlocks journey of maturing and fuzz!

Soulina
January 2nd, 2019, 03:19 AM
If that makes you happy I say go for it :) Just take into account how dreads look on fine hair, it has nothing to do with the look of dreads on a 4 type hair, you will have just a few of them and the scalp between them will be very visible all the time. Plus having a pixie when you decide you don’t want them anymore.

I have only once in my life seen type 4 hair dreads. I have several friends with dreads that have similar type of hair as mine. I also have seen dreads brushed out, so I know that is possibility as well.

Soulina
January 2nd, 2019, 03:22 AM
My hair is extremely thin and fine (thicker at the moment due to my recent pregnancy but all falling out again now), and I had dreadlocks, plus worked installing dreadlocks on other people for the past 10yrs for a side-job! I still do it now.
Here’s a couple of tips I give women with thinner hair:
Small sections are best - you’ll start with very thin dreadlocks but they DO shrink, usually at least by 1/3 of overall length.
Decide whether to dreadlock just one section of the scalp (the ears down etc) or not. I kept the top of my head with regular hair so that I could smooth it over my dreads on the fuzzy days. Plus it can make for a softer look.
You can absolutely brush dreadlocks out if you decide not to have them anymore, but you do need to cut them off to shoulder length or so, to brush them out more easily. It takes a long time too, maybe one dread each day!

Lastly, please remember that for the first 6 or so months they will look messy on most days. You grew to BCL with your thin hair and exercised the utmost of patience - this patience will be handy for the dreadlocks journey of maturing and fuzz!

Thank you for the tips, I am getting my dreads done by a professional, the best one I could find in the country where I live. I am planning to leave my bangs undone for now. I know the first year I am going to look bit funny, but I have waited for my dream hair for so long time, one year more is nothing.

veryhairyfairy
January 2nd, 2019, 06:44 AM
I'm excited for you! :D Please let us know how it goes and Happy Birthday!!

Khristopher
January 2nd, 2019, 07:47 AM
I know you've made your mind already, but have you looked into double ended dreadlock extentions? They're not as permanent as dreads done on your hair and can as thick or thin as you want, I've sometimes had the itch to do something like that haha. Found about them watching ch527kerosene on youtube, but if you don't like vivid or unnatural colours I'm sure you can get them in a color similar to yours.
Anyways, please post pics of your hair transformation, it'll surely be an inspiration for many!

Soulina
January 2nd, 2019, 07:48 AM
I know you've made your mind already, but have you looked into double ended dreadlock extentions? They're not as permanent as dreads done on your hair and can as thick or thin as you want, I've sometimes had the itch to do something like that haha. Found about them watching ch527kerosene on youtube, but if you don't like vivid or unnatural colours I'm sure you can get them in a color similar to yours.
Anyways, please post pics of your hair transformation, it'll surely be an inspiration for many!

I have had dread extensions before, and I loved them (Electric blue ones). I want something more permanent this time. And I promise to post pictures as soon as I get my locks.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2019, 07:51 AM
They are fragile because of age and simply because my one hair is so fine. Its nearly transparent and you cant feel it at all between your fingers. It tangles easily from anything, no matter how healthy. I would never achieve full hemline of my dreams.

I wouldn't exactly recommend dreads in that case. But that's me; if it is something you want to do and that makes you happy, go for it.

I just would continue to baby the hair and maybe just trim an inch, or two, and see where you are then... before getting dreads.

LittleHealthy
January 2nd, 2019, 08:38 AM
I don’t think Soulina would ‘resort’ to dreads unless she really wanted them! Dreadlocks are a lot of fun. Also you can add all kinds of things to them to decorate, they’re so expressive!!
Definitely post pictures once you get them done, and good on you for leaving your bangs (I assume that means what we call fringe hair here) our! I think you’d be glad you’d done that. I don’t think I’ve dreaded a woman’s crown area for at least a year! Haha. Be mindful not to ‘buy into’ a lot of the terrible products available to you though... I’m sure you’ve done your research. ‘Chemical free’ dreadlocks are best, with no wax or products added. Once anything like that goes in, it won’t want to come out and can be a sticky mess. Same with powders and even shampoos. Just normal shampoo is fine in small amounts.

Soulina
January 2nd, 2019, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't exactly recommend dreads in that case. But that's me; if it is something you want to do and that makes you happy, go for it.

I just would continue to baby the hair and maybe just trim an inch, or two, and see where you are then... before getting dreads.

If I cut inch or two I am in the same place I have been for last seven years. I never wear my hair down, I sleep with sleeping cap, don't wear elastics, I comb so carefully, I dont dye, I dont style my hair or use heat. Wash once a week etc but I have just have enough. Trims do not make a difference. Thinkness of the circumference of my hair is avarage (over 8 cm) just my single hair is really thin. I have a lot of them. But they are just so fragile when they get longer.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2019, 11:27 AM
If I cut inch or two I am in the same place I have been for last seven years. I never wear my hair down, I sleep with sleeping cap, don't wear elastics, I comb so carefully, I dont dye, I dont style my hair or use heat. Wash once a week etc but I have just have enough. Trims do not make a difference. Thinkness of the circumference of my hair is avarage (over 8 cm) just my single hair is really thin. I have a lot of them. But they are just so fragile when they get longer.

7 years is a lot. I can totally understand your frustration. :flower: I had no idea it was that long!

Good luck with the dreads. :)

truepeacenik
January 2nd, 2019, 11:58 AM
I have had dread extensions before, and I loved them (Electric blue ones). I want something more permanent this time. And I promise to post pictures as soon as I get my locks.

Am I the only person thinking, “do both! Rock those locs, yours and new!”?

Wendyclaire
January 2nd, 2019, 03:12 PM
Don’t do it! You’ll end up looking like you never wash, brush your hair. Dreadlocks are nasty!

gustavonut
January 2nd, 2019, 03:40 PM
Don’t do it! You’ll end up looking like you never wash, brush your hair. Dreadlocks are nasty!

That’s really rude and in fact a nasty comment. I have never personally had dreads but I believe anyone can look how they want at any time. Why does it matter to you?
If it makes her happier then I think she should do it 100%. That’s why I decided to cut my hair so short again despite what people said to me about it. If it’s your life, you live it how YOU want it. Not how some person online says you should.

Also, dreadlocks do not look nasty, they look awesome and very pretty on so many people. And what would be the point of brushing them out?

Ylva
January 2nd, 2019, 03:42 PM

That's a bit rude maybe. :/ If she wants the locs, she certainly shouldn't think about what she LOOKS like to others or if someone finds her hair "nasty" because they imagine dreadlocks to be this or that.

Besides, you DON'T brush dreadlocks, so isn't the point to look like you never brush your hair...? There are people on this forum who never wash their hair anyway, even though they don't have locs. There doesn't need to be anything nasty about that either.

Tinyponies
January 2nd, 2019, 03:59 PM
Wishing you all the best as you look forward to your dreads journey and I also look forward to your pictures and progress.

There are as many different ways to do dreads as undreaded hair so my advice is to go steady and always with what feels right for you.

I had almost a decade of dreads (naturally formed) and loved it. Happy birthday!

lapushka
January 2nd, 2019, 04:05 PM

My mom in fact can go a month+ without washing her hair. She does not have dreads. In fact washing infrequently is quite popular here. :flower: I wash weekly for instance.

lithostoic
January 2nd, 2019, 04:29 PM
I once stopped detangling my hair for 2 and a half years. I loved my dreadlocks! Only 2 were manually installed (tnr method, had em already) and the rest formed naturally. My hair was finer at the time and thin from bleach and dye damage. They still looked great and I grew out the worst of the damage while my hair was locked.

I combed them out gradually over the course of a couple weeks and got a hair cut (my cut to CBL after joining here) to even it out since I did have to use scissors to cut the ends of my locks off before combing. My ends were blunt as opposed to loose (if you get what I'm describing) so I had nowhere to insert the comb without cutting.

For good measure, I cut off the oldest ones (by my nape) almost completely and cut them open to inspect them. Nothing. No lint, no bugs, just hair. Same with all the smaller pieces I cut off from near the ends. Just smelled like hair, too. Clean hair and no sebum smell.

So basically what I'm getting at is DO IT.

lithostoic
January 2nd, 2019, 04:31 PM

Given your strong opinion on not brushing or washing hair, I don't think LHC is the right forum for you.

Doreen
January 2nd, 2019, 04:38 PM
It sounds like this will enable to you enjoy your hair much more! You deserve to have hair that will make you happy, not feel like a chore or an uphill battle.

Wendyclaire
January 2nd, 2019, 05:18 PM
Given your strong opinion on not brushing or washing hair, I don't think LHC is the right forum for you.
That’s not what I said and your response is why people post their afraid to write their true opinions on these threads. And a lot of people want what people really think about a hair issue. That’s why they come here.

Ylva
January 2nd, 2019, 05:57 PM
That’s not what I said and your response is why people post their afraid to write their true opinions on these threads. And a lot of people want what people really think about a hair issue. That’s why they come here.

Expressing one's opinion is fine, but being straight up unnecessarily rude is not. What you wrote was very narrow-minded.

DaniGirl
January 2nd, 2019, 06:35 PM
There’s zero reason to be rude. Would I personally want dreadlocks. No, it wouldn’t be my personal choice. But it is her personal choice. So maybe it’s time for the age old adage of if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all.

*Wednesday*
January 2nd, 2019, 06:57 PM
Hmmm. People I know with dreads take very good care of them. Some people like the "messy" dreads look. I finds dreads sexy.

Longlegs
January 2nd, 2019, 07:45 PM
I think it's your hair and you know what's best. I think they do need 'maintaining' and I've heard that you never use conditioner on them so you might save a bit of money on products. Go for it!

Tinyponies
January 3rd, 2019, 01:30 AM
Dreads were hard to fathom before I had my own. Seems like so much polar opposite advice.

Depends on the particular look and feel, and maintenance schedule you like. Really there are no rules but lots of different possible outcomes. If you have someone on hand who starts off dreads for people, and you like how those kind of dreads mature, then that’s fab and stick with the advice that your stylist gives you.

Kathie
January 3rd, 2019, 04:10 AM
That sounds exciting! Congrats on your decision.

I read a while back that you've been the same length for years while taking great care of your hair. It made me wonder whether youre at your terminal length?

Regardless, I think dreads will be fun. Ive always envied how one can tie their hair up with their own dreads. They have so much volume in updos too.

Soulina
January 3rd, 2019, 04:27 AM
That sounds exciting! Congrats on your decision.

I read a while back that you've been the same length for years while taking great care of your hair. It made me wonder whether youre at your terminal length?

Regardless, I think dreads will be fun. Ive always envied how one can tie their hair up with their own dreads. They have so much volume in updos too.

This has been in my mind as well. Locks would be the only way for me to achieve classic length in that case. I gave my hair all the care and time I could, but it just was not meant to be. Even the idea of soon getting my locks makes me so happy about my hair, as before I have just been quite down about it.

Soulina
January 3rd, 2019, 05:37 AM
Thanks everyone for you comments. I know I will hear many times about locks being nasty and smelling, but I know it is not true if you take care of your hair. I promise to post pictures when I finally get them done.

SwanFeathers
January 3rd, 2019, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone for you comments. I know I will hear many times about locks being nasty and smelling, but I know it is not true if you take care of your hair. I promise to post pictures when I finally get them done.

You go enjoy your hair to the fullest! Dont worry about the ignorant people who clearly have no clue what their talking about, your hair is for your own personal happiness (or else it would grow on somebody else's head) You've done the research and know what your doing, you even tested it with extensions first, so go for it! Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Soulina
January 4th, 2019, 05:20 AM
Update: today I asked about locks from my boss and he saw no problem with having them! Also I got few days off for the day of making them and the day after. (I have 28 days paid vacation a year and 7 days still left from 2018)

LittleHealthy
January 5th, 2019, 03:27 AM
Update: today I asked about locks from my boss and he saw no problem with having them! Also I got few days off for the day of making them and the day after. (I have 28 days paid vacation a year and 7 days still left from 2018)

That’s exciting!! You’ll have so much fun playing with them while they’re new. Dread styles are lots of fun!! So are beads and string etc! I loved mine, but my downfall was how long they took to dry after washing them. And they got very heavy. I had mine for a very long time though. You’ll have a ball with them though! Lots of good videos on YouTube on dreadlock styles!

Soulina
February 11th, 2019, 01:04 AM
I am so exited. My appointment for the locks is tomorrow. I promise to post pictures as soon as I get them.

Tinyponies
February 11th, 2019, 01:17 AM
You sound positive about your decision, which is what matters. To be choosing dreads because you want that, rather than because you give up - there’s a big difference there. Dreads can have their own short and long term issues to work through too. I hope you get what you want and enjoy your new dreads. Come back here and show us your three year old, and six year old dreads too! Have fun tomorrow xx

Katsura
February 11th, 2019, 01:19 AM
Have fun! I'm looking forward to seeing them. :)

PixieNixie
February 11th, 2019, 02:34 AM
Checking in for pics :) I read this whole thread and am excited for you. Hoping you are enjoying your hair.

spidergoat
February 11th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Checking in for pics :) I read this whole thread and am excited for you. Hoping you are enjoying your hair.
Me too! I tried dreads once but they weren't for me. I do love the look though and can't wait to see pictures!

Ylva
February 11th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Enjoy your appointment! :) Can't wait for the pics!

milosmomma
February 11th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Ooo I am excited for you! I've always loved the look of dreads and can't wait to see your results :)

BerrySara
February 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM
I too am very excited for you! I think dreads are awesome and have a rebellious attitude about them, I love that. I am also looking forward to seeing your pictures!

lunalocks
February 12th, 2019, 10:40 AM
I am very excited for you and can't wait to see your pics!

Soulina
February 12th, 2019, 05:21 PM
There is only one thing I regret now. Why did I wait so long? I have never liked my hair as much as I do now. I love my hair now. I finally have the thick ponytail I have always dreamed about. My hair has so much volume I cant believe it. Now I can also decorate my hair with beads etc and wear it any way I like or keep it open. . This just feel so good. I currently have 35 thin locks and plan to add maybe 5-10 more. I try to add better pictures later.

https://img.aijaa.com/b/00795/14667971.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00100/14667972.jpg

Ylva
February 12th, 2019, 05:47 PM
It looks very nice! I somehow feel like the locs emphasise the colour of your hair as well. It sort of pops and looks extra beautiful now. :)

Wravyn
February 12th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Yes, ever since I decided that that is what I want I have dreamed every night about my new hair. It is all I wanted I want long thick hair that I can show to people. Even my mother thinks it is the best thing for me (I was sure she was going to be opposed to the idea). i have played around with the idea for few years, so it was not over night idea and studied dreads. But now it is so close 12th of February (my birthday) is they day when I will get my baby locks.

I think that if this is what you want to do, then you should do it. If you don't like them, you can always brush them out (although you'll probably want someone to help you with that -- I've read that it's a long process).

Wravyn
February 12th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Whoops, just realized I missed your update. Looks fantastic!

milosmomma
February 12th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Wow you look amazing! I'm so glad you instantly love them, it's great and I'm happy for you. Did they eat up alot of your length? Growing now should be much more fun now that you are in love with your hair :)

ravenheather
February 12th, 2019, 06:33 PM
I think they look great. How long are they? Curious compared to your loose hair.

Soulina
February 12th, 2019, 10:20 PM
ravenheather: I got 20cm extensions so that I would not lose length that much. I lost maybe 10cm so not that much.

Katsura
February 12th, 2019, 11:36 PM
Wow, they look very nice and go very well with your natural hair! I'm happy for you.

Cate36
February 12th, 2019, 11:53 PM
Wow .. so exciting to read the update! Would love to see more pics! Also VERY exciting to hear how happy you are with the result!

JennGalt
February 13th, 2019, 12:22 AM
Congrats on finally being happy with your hair :) Thin locks suit you quite well, and I hope you post more after you get the other 5-10 done, and then again once the dreads are mature! Very nice :)

Begemot
February 13th, 2019, 03:02 AM
So glad to hear you're happy with your hair finally! I love those beads :)

gustavonut
February 13th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Oh my gosh I absolutely love it. I usually hate dreads but those look sooooo good. Congratulations :beerchug:

spidergoat
February 13th, 2019, 08:12 AM
It looks very nice! I somehow feel like the locs emphasise the colour of your hair as well. It sort of pops and looks extra beautiful now. :)

I completely agree with Ylva. Your color looks great and I love how full your hair is!

Ellethwyn
February 13th, 2019, 02:33 PM
There is only one thing I regret now. Why did I wait so long? I have never liked my hair as much as I do now. I love my hair now. I finally have the thick ponytail I have always dreamed about. My hair has so much volume I cant believe it. Now I can also decorate my hair with beads etc and wear it any way I like or keep it open. . This just feel so good. I currently have 35 thin locks and plan to add maybe 5-10 more. I try to add better pictures later.

https://img.aijaa.com/b/00795/14667971.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00100/14667972.jpg

They look fantastic! And I bet one perk to dreading fine hair is that they don't feel as heavy as thicker hair dreaded would. I love that you left the front undreaded and the beads look awesome! Congrats!!!

Groovy Granny
February 13th, 2019, 02:39 PM
That is a very cool look ~ enjoy :cheer:

Soulina
February 13th, 2019, 04:44 PM
I call my locks pötpylät, I know it is kinda wear to name your hair. But these are not just any locks these are mine (not meaning they are better than others just that these locks are more personal thing to me than other peoples) and I just instantly gave them a unique name.

They don't feel any heavier than my hair did before.

Everyone who had locks warned me that first nights would be painful and the process of making them would hurt. I have had no pain whatsoever from my locks. I feel so good, pretty and happy. I know already that this was the best decision I have done for my hair after with the idea of wanting long hair.

I had not change my hairstyle in 20 years (I am 27) so this was a really big thing for me to do. I am not one of those people who change hairstyles often. Hair is in a way sacred thing to me. I cried even after trims as the loss of hair felt so bad. Now I dont have to worry about that anymore.

lapushka
February 13th, 2019, 04:51 PM
I'm so glad you're happy; cute beads! :D

Tinyponies
February 14th, 2019, 05:07 AM
I had not change my hairstyle in 20 years (I am 27) so this was a really big thing for me to do. I am not one of those people who change hairstyles often. Hair is in a way sacred thing to me. I cried even after trims as the loss of hair felt so bad. Now I dont have to worry about that anymore.

The cool thing is, that now you get to keep ALL your hairs, all your shed hairs will add to your dreads and not be lost, and that will cause them to thicken over time. It looks like they have done a great job. Happy to hear of your joy.

spitfire511
February 14th, 2019, 06:11 AM
So very cute - and so very happy you're loving it!! :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 15th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Have you worried about comments about "cultural appropriation"?
I use to have dreads years ago and would get comments from people about how it wasn't appropriate, because I am white passing.
But you live in Finland so you might not face this problem. In the US, ooph. People have their opinions.

Soulina
February 15th, 2019, 10:05 PM
I use to have dreads years ago and would get comments from people about how it wasn't appropriate, because I am white passing.
But you live in Finland so you might not face this problem. In the US, ooph. People have their opinions.

I am not worried about it. Dreads are found in so many cultures. It is weird that someone thinks that way that hair naturally forms if not brushed is hairstyle you can own. In African cultures its normally the warrior aged men that wear locks. Vikings, Celts, Egyptian, and Hinduism has locks too in their history and culture. Also when I think about wise-women and shamans of the past (before Christianity was forced upon us and they destroyed our own culture) to have long dreadlocks they most likely did not care about brushing hair and there have been few stories about ones with long tangled hair.

I personally first saw dreadlocks (or Jata's) on Hindu's as they have been in the Hindu scriptures at least 3500 years. So thinking its only African or Rastafarian thing is just simply misinformation.

Also I do not wear my hair in locks as fashion statement, I have the kinda of spiritual need of keeping all my hair. Also I have only ever seen 4 black people who have dreadlocks, it is not the style of hair that the black people here have. It took me a while to even realize why people over seas see dreadlocks as a part of the black culture only.

shaiyeh
February 15th, 2019, 11:52 PM
I love how they turned out! So happy for you :) Dreads are awesome.
I've never had my own hair dreaded but I've worn DE dread extensions a lot throughout the years. granted, that's not the same thing, but ooo dreads are pretty :)

Ylva
February 16th, 2019, 07:17 AM

This is a bit off-topic, but I just thought to tell a story. I once had to go against a Finnish person (and I am part Finnish myself and my parents live there, so I don't say this in a "Finns are stupid!" kind of way haha) about whether dreadlocks are cultural appropriation or not. The way I understood her in the end was that she primarily had a problem with me using the term 'dreadlocks' in Finnish, because that refers simply to what the Rastafarians do with their hair. :confused: But it just so happens that there isn't any other "official" word for dreadlocks in the Finnish language other than that one. I tried to explain to her that I just refer to the natural state of unbrushed hair and that maybe not all hair types act exactly the same when unbrushed, it's still approximately the same phenomenon. In the end, I just resulted to referring to them as hair sausages to make her happier.

I love your view Soulina and totally agree with you!

lithostoic
February 16th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Fantastic Soulina, I hope you do not see the backlash that I did. I had dreadlocks for 2 years and cut them due to societal pressure (I'm white).

Tinyponies
February 16th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Soulina and Ylva, I love your wording on this. Totally agree! Also I had my hair knotty for close to a decade (uk) and never had anything negative said to me.

Soulina
February 18th, 2019, 02:29 AM
The more time passes the more I love my hair, even the loss of length does not feel bad anymore as I did not lose any of my hair, they are just in more compact form.

Tinyponies
February 18th, 2019, 03:09 AM
The more time passes the more I love my hair, even the loss of length does not feel bad anymore as I did not lose any of my hair, they are just in more compact form.

Hooray, that is great news. :cheer:

Alissalocks
February 18th, 2019, 10:20 PM
I'd love to see more pics? :cloud9: I've always wondered what dreads would be like. So glad you are loving yours!!!

Simpscone
February 19th, 2019, 05:29 AM
They look amazing on you :blossom: definitely the right decision! Can't wait to see how they mature over the coming months!

Soulina
February 21st, 2019, 12:35 AM
I'd love to see more pics? :cloud9: I've always wondered what dreads would be like. So glad you are loving yours!!!

I will take more as soon as these tame little bit down. I still love these, and I have first maintenance 3.4 I will do pic heavy update at least then

Soulina
April 13th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Update: I got extensions, the shrinking was insane, and my hair was just bit over shoulder lenght. I love my hair, I am so happy about it. Even the extensions feel mine as they are permanent. Now my locks are bit over classic lenght and my childhood dream has come true and it is just as awesome as I tought, I regret only about not doing this sooner. I will post pic heavy update later today.

Begemot
April 13th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Great news! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see pics.

lapushka
April 13th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Isn't it a sudden difference in how to handle the hair, though? I mean, with regular growing, you get ample chance to get used to added length and such, but this is quite sudden.

Anyway, looking forward to the pictures.

Soulina
April 15th, 2019, 12:32 AM
Isn't it a sudden difference in how to handle the hair, though? I mean, with regular growing, you get ample chance to get used to added length and such, but this is quite sudden.

Anyway, looking forward to the pictures.

Yes it was, my hair use to be TBL, but no where near this thickness. But still I love every minute of it, it is something I have wanted and hoped for so long, every time I sit on my hair I feel ridiculously happy about it. Every time my hair gets on my way I am amazed and every night I fold my hair next to me.

Soulina
April 15th, 2019, 12:50 AM
So here a few pictures. This hair just makes me so happy, no longer do I have to worry about my bun being small :D

https://img.aijaa.com/b/00958/14689329.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00719/14689330.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00783/14689331.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00365/14689332.jpg

desisparkles
April 15th, 2019, 01:01 AM
:heartbeat:heartbeat:heartbeat:

looks gorgeous! glad you are happy :)

Begemot
April 15th, 2019, 01:07 AM
Cute dreads! They suit you so well :)

YvetteVarie
April 15th, 2019, 06:44 AM
I'm glad you are happy with your hair now. That's all that really matters.

Not relevant: It is my first time seeing a white person with dreads and the difference with black people dreads is interesting. How were the dreads formed? Sorry if you had said it in an earlier post, I didn't read the entire thread, I only skimmed through it

Soulina
April 15th, 2019, 01:30 PM
I'm glad you are happy with your hair now. That's all that really matters.

Not relevant: It is my first time seeing a white person with dreads and the difference with black people dreads is interesting. How were the dreads formed? Sorry if you had said it in an earlier post, I didn't read the entire thread, I only skimmed through it

My hair is extremely fine and dreads extremely easily. But I wanted smaller dreads than those that naturally form on me (it takes 1-2months for me to naturally form dreads if I do not brush my hair) so I went to saloon that only does dreads and nothing else to get mine started. They are done with the crotchet hook. I have only seen few black people with dreads and the texture is different. I have never seen baby dreads on a black person, but atleas the more mature dreads feel different.

lapushka
April 15th, 2019, 03:07 PM
It looks very "wild", but you guys know me. I like wild. ;) :D :thumbsup:

Gorgeous, and I hope you continue to love it!

milosmomma
April 15th, 2019, 03:16 PM
They look great! You're so pretty

YvetteVarie
April 16th, 2019, 03:51 AM
My hair is extremely fine and dreads extremely easily. But I wanted smaller dreads than those that naturally form on me (it takes 1-2months for me to naturally form dreads if I do not brush my hair) so I went to saloon that only does dreads and nothing else to get mine started. They are done with the crotchet hook. I have only seen few black people with dreads and the texture is different. I have never seen baby dreads on a black person, but atleas the more mature dreads feel different.

The baby dread texture is definitely different, mainly I think because of the hair type and the methods used to form them. I hope you will keep updating us on your dread journey

Sarahlabyrinth
April 16th, 2019, 04:01 AM
Looks amazing on you :D I'm not surprised you love it!

Ellethwyn
April 16th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Gorgeous, Soulina! I especially like how it looks in double braids! So rad!

Soulina
May 28th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Update: I LOVE MY HAIR. I just could not be happier about my decision. Of course getting used to having so much hair suddenly took its time, but I have no regrets. I have learned few new hairstyles and keep learning more. I have even planned to make one of my other hair dreams come true and dye the ends blue. I am allergic to hair dyes, especially blue. I could use elumene hair dye to dye my roots black. I used to be so paranoid about my hair, because it was so fragile, it feels like my hair was mean to dreaded. It dreads extremely easily and I have not had any problems with dreads starting to merge.

I am also happy that you have made me still welcome here :) this place has had so big part in my life as a passionate long hair lover.

https://img.aijaa.com/b/00967/14704334.jpg

TreesOfEternity
May 28th, 2019, 08:34 AM
You are so pretty, that hair suits you perfecly!!! :crush:

Ylva
May 28th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Your hair is looking amazing and it suits you so well! :)

Vacurlylady
May 28th, 2019, 09:37 AM
I just read this entire thread! I’m so happy for you. It seems you have found a match that suits you well. I’m going to look up how dreads are actually made, just out of curiosity. Your latest pictures are beautiful! Please keep us posted on whether you blue tip them! Have a great day!

Begemot
May 28th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Update: I LOVE MY HAIR. I just could not be happier about my decision. Of course getting used to having so much hair suddenly took its time, but I have no regrets. I have learned few new hairstyles and keep learning more. I have even planned to make one of my other hair dreams come true and dye the ends blue. I am allergic to hair dyes, especially blue. I could use elumene hair dye to dye my roots black. I used to be so paranoid about my hair, because it was so fragile, it feels like my hair was mean to dreaded. It dreads extremely easily and I have not had any problems with dreads starting to merge.

I bet letting your hair do its thing has been liberating :) Happy to see you so happy!

lapushka
May 28th, 2019, 10:36 AM
It looks good on you! I have to say. I am not a fan of dreads myself (on me? nope), but if they all looked as good as yours, you might even convince me to like them. :D

truepeacenik
May 28th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Absolutely lovely. Your loctician did a wonderful job.
And they suit you

Wusel
May 28th, 2019, 11:05 AM
To be very honest, I never liked dreads, but when I see them on you now I find them FANTASTIC! :) :) :) They really suit you. Looks like you and your hair are really made for them :)

Kat-Rinnè Naido
May 28th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Wow! It looks stunning and fits well with your gorgeous look.
The main thing is that you are happy with your hair again and are able to have some fun with it.

zoezahn
May 28th, 2019, 06:16 PM
They really do look nice! I really like the thin-ness of them, and the possibilities for different styles would be endless.

milosmomma
May 28th, 2019, 06:25 PM
I'm so glad you love them, you look so pretty and I agree like you were meant to have dreads. They fit you well :)

Soulina
May 29th, 2019, 02:18 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments :) I will keep this thread updated about my dread journey and how they develop. It is really interesting to see how my dreads mature and change with the time.

LittleHealthy
May 29th, 2019, 04:49 AM
Ahhhh they look amazingggg!!!!!

CosmoCat
July 2nd, 2019, 07:13 PM
Oh, my gosh!! I love them. It makes me want them.

(edit: i’m not as cute or young as you, however.)

Soulina
July 12th, 2019, 04:56 AM
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00012/14722901.jpg

I still love this hair so much. Now starting finally to learn to do buns and braids again.

LittleHealthy
July 12th, 2019, 06:12 AM
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00012/14722901.jpg

I still love this hair so much. Now starting finally to learn to do buns and braids again.

They’re coming along so nicely!

Groovy Granny
July 12th, 2019, 11:03 AM
So here a few pictures. This hair just makes me so happy, no longer do I have to worry about my bun being small :D

https://img.aijaa.com/b/00958/14689329.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00719/14689330.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00783/14689331.jpg
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00365/14689332.jpg

I am also happy that you have made me still welcome here :) this place has had so big part in my life as a passionate long hair lover.

https://img.aijaa.com/b/00967/14704334.jpg

I am so happy for you; they are very pretty, and suit you perfectly :heart:

AuntyMiki
July 12th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Oh my goodness! You are gorgeous and rock those dreads!😻

Mariekeeee14
July 13th, 2019, 07:06 AM
I just finishes reading this thread and my God, I LOVE your dreads! Have you settled on a routine yet?

Soulina
July 15th, 2019, 12:51 AM
I just finishes reading this thread and my God, I LOVE your dreads! Have you settled on a routine yet?

I wash roots 1-2 times a week and lengths once a month. I wear t-shirt on my head to sleep just to manage all this hair. I also do fix them with crochet hook weekly and have appointments to locktician every 3-6 months to keep the roots neat. Still getting used to having this much hair. The weight no longer bothers me my scalp has gotten used to it.

Soulina
July 15th, 2019, 12:53 AM
Thank you all for the support. I knew LHC has one of the best communities in the internet. But you are all so nice :blushing:

AmberWillow
July 15th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Your dreads look absolutely amazing! :love: I think you were meant for them :D

MermaidDreads
July 27th, 2019, 04:09 PM
I skipped over reading this several times because I thought the thread would be about someone who was unhappy with their hair and did a big chop. Well, I finally decided to read this and was so surprised. It was almost as if I were reading about myself in places. I've always had such thin, fine, fragile hair. It breaks so easily and I could never get it past back. I finally started thinking about getting dreads. For about a year I researched and watched a million YouTube videos and finally took the plunge about a year and a half ago. I've never loved my hair until I got dreads. I never got compliments until I got dreads. Now I get them all the time. I can't believe I waited so long to dread my hair. I can't imagine being without them ever again.

Soulina
March 7th, 2020, 10:23 AM
https://img.aijaa.com/b/00368/14806553.jpg

One yearish update. I still absolutely love my hair. It has not actually grown as is expected on the first year. Not it shoud start growing finally and I can not wait

Khristopher
March 7th, 2020, 11:16 AM
Soulina what a gorgeous braid! It's amazing :inlove: it's so good that you're finally happy with your hair too!

Ylva
March 7th, 2020, 11:20 AM
It looks amazing, Soulina, and really suits you!

BraidedBunch
March 8th, 2020, 08:15 PM
Wow. This is exciting, and I'm excited for you! You look absolutely awesome in these new locks and I'm so glad you made the decision to do what you wanted to do with your hair. Way to go!
:cheer::hifive:

GoddesJourney
March 8th, 2020, 10:19 PM
Wow. It looks beautiful and you look beautiful. Congratulations on an obvious success!

squirrrel
March 9th, 2020, 02:05 AM
It does look fab. I look forward to hearing about the progress it makes as time goes on. Thanks for the update.

ynne
March 9th, 2020, 08:00 PM
They look amazing, and very neat. :) I saw some of the early photos from when you just got them, too. Did you ever get the blue ends?