PDA

View Full Version : Slip with alternative washing methods

TwilightMermaid
January 1st, 2019, 03:52 PM
You get slip from conditioner when you wash in any conventional washing method if you use conditioner. I know not everyone needs it because some detangle when dry. I was wondering for those who use any alternative washing method without conditioner, how you get slip? I've used acv before when trying out shampoo bars and I could barely get my comb through my hair.

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 04:23 PM
Marshmallow root is famous for slippage properties. :) It is in some silicone-free products, like some leave-ins and some conditioners.

EdG
January 1st, 2019, 04:51 PM
With water-only washing, my hair has sufficient slip because the sebum is not being washed out completely. Combing while my hair is slightly damp provides even more slip.
Ed

TwilightMermaid
January 1st, 2019, 04:54 PM
Marshmallow root is famous for slippage properties. :) It is in some silicone-free products, like some leave-ins and some conditioners.

Oh I've heard of that before in the Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in! When I first read I immediately thought of those horrible marshmallows in the grocery store, silly me.

Wendyclaire
January 1st, 2019, 04:59 PM
What do you mean by slip? I’m not getting it! Sorry!

EdG
January 1st, 2019, 05:09 PM
Slip = lubrication. It can be provided by sebum, oils, silicones, or water.
Ed

TwilightMermaid
January 1st, 2019, 05:23 PM
What do you mean by slip? I’m not getting it! Sorry!

Ed gave a good description. You get slip from all of those sources, mainly a silicone/silicone free conditioner when I detangle my hair wet. Forgive me for being unclear:)

Reyn127
January 1st, 2019, 05:26 PM
For me, the best thing was oiling my hair. I would usually dampen and then oil the ends, to lock some moisture in there. Argan oil is probably my favorite that I’ve tried.

I’ve also heard slippery elm, and marshmallow root, the latter I’ve used. It made my hair more soft than slippery, if that makes sense. But I do think the best results come from using a combination of things.

nycelle
January 1st, 2019, 05:31 PM
There is nothing (that I've tried so far) that gives slip as good as silicones. The closest I've come are conditioners with lots of oils.

Ophidian
January 1st, 2019, 08:30 PM
I get a lot of slip from fenugreek/methi but only if I let it soak for several hours so it takes on a slimy consistancy.

Nineteenbirds
January 1st, 2019, 10:02 PM
If you tried vinegar and it didn't do the job, maybe you weren't using enough. I mix 1/2 cup rice vinegar with about 28 oz. of water (and a little honey). It sounds like a lot of vinegar, but any less than that doesn't do anything for me. I let it sit for a few minutes in my hair and then comb my hair out in the shower and rinse it; then later, after it's stopped dripping, I rub just a few drops of argan oil into the damp ends. Slippery and shiny, and very affordable!

On the other hand, maybe vinegar just doesn't like your hair. I've tried both lemon juice and citric acid and neither of them were any good for me, but they work well for some other people.

TwilightMermaid
January 5th, 2019, 10:43 PM
I get a lot of slip from fenugreek/methi but only if I let it soak for several hours so it takes on a slimy consistancy.

Do you use fenugreek seeds or powder?

Ophidian
January 6th, 2019, 04:25 AM
I use the powder because that’s what I have but if you use the seeds you can make a rinse that doesn’t have any herb bits in it, which can be a pain to get out of your hair unless you strain it before use and rinse really well (I find dunking my hair in the tub or a bucket/bowl works better than just standing under the shower, personally).

Tip for using fenugreek, which I don’t think gets discussed enough: in my experience it needs to be properly hydrated to release the conditioning properties of the herb. Meaning, mix your powder or seeds with hot water and then let it sit for several hours, stirring occasionally. The liquid will start to thicken and feel slimy, which is what you want. Mmmm slime :p.

Ophidian
January 6th, 2019, 04:39 AM
With water-only washing, my hair has sufficient slip because the sebum is not being washed out completely. Combing while my hair is slightly damp provides even more slip.
Ed

I should add that this is absolutely true for me too. When I was WO I had zero tangles. Same with herb washing. If I use any other washing method, I find it helps immensely to apply the cleanser just to my scalp to leave a thin layer of oil/sebum in the length to lubricate my strands so they don’t get snaggy.

Hairkay
January 6th, 2019, 08:14 AM
I should add that this is absolutely true for me too. When I was WO I had zero tangles. Same with herb washing. If I use any other washing method, I find it helps immensely to apply the cleanser just to my scalp to leave a thin layer of oil/sebum in the length to lubricate my strands so they don’t get snaggy.

I'm another who uses water though I do have a once a week conditioning treatment using either banana or mango or fenugreek honey and yoghurt.