PDA

View Full Version : Cutting in layers to help with stretched out curls

Cinnamonagouti
January 1st, 2019, 02:43 PM
I probably shouldn't be making this thread as I just signed up for the no trimming 2019-challenge. But hey, now I will have a full year to think about this decision.

So, I was inspired by wo who recently posted pictures of her newly cut in layers. We seem to have a very similar hair type and they made her hair look even better. I have thought about this on and off for some years, but have never came around doing it - mostly because I'm afraid it will make my ends feel thin and making it hard to do updos and braids without the ends sticking out. But at the same time, I would love to enhance my curls, especially sine I enjoy wearing my hair out every now and then.

So now I'm asking you guys for advice. Maybe face-framing and some long layers, to keep the length and not thinning out the ends too much? What are your experience with layers, especially for curly or wavy hair?

For reference, my hair is fine (i.e, easily weighed down and doesn't hold it's curl very well), att hip length (86 cm) and curls in spirals that, at this length, starts around my ears but are quite stretched out. I'm at the mid to upper range of ii (about 8.5 cm) so it's not exactly thin, but as my hair has been significantly thicker before (11 cm) I do feel like it's thin now compared to how it was, and hence don't want it to feel even thinner if I cut in layers. The last years I've kept it between just-above-hip to slightly-below-BCL, and have no intention of growing it longer.

Any advice or thoughts, or before and after pictures, are very much appreciated.

Cinnamonagouti
January 1st, 2019, 02:48 PM
(Sorry in advance for the huge picture)

For more reference, this is what my hair looks like at a shorter length (this was in 2012):
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14980&d=1419786197

This is how my hair looks today, without any kind of styling/scrunching - just air drying:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34877&d=1546357535

And this is the best I can get it to curl with different styling techniques (gel, twirling, scrunching and some plopping):
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34226&d=1543480473
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34227&d=1543480473

Cate36
January 1st, 2019, 02:58 PM
You have stunning hair..

I personally wouldn't have them.. If you hair is not super thick, they just make it appear thinner on the length. You hair really looks stunning how it is. Cutting some around your face to frame your face would probably be enough to satisfy you and give it more body on top..

Just my personal opinion..

Lady Stardust
January 1st, 2019, 03:13 PM
I don’t have any experience with curls but just wanted to say how beautiful your hair is :)

Cinnamonagouti
January 1st, 2019, 03:17 PM
You have stunning hair..

I personally wouldn't have them.. If you hair is not super thick, they just make it appear thinner on the length. You hair really looks stunning how it is. Cutting some around your face to frame your face would probably be enough to satisfy you and give it more body on top..

Just my personal opinion..

Thank you! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking; my hair is only medium thickness and cutting in too much layers (especially at this length) might make it feel significantly thinner. How does it work with face framing layers at longer lengths? I mean, doesn't it look weird to have some shorts bits and then suddenly everything else is a feet longer? Or how does it work? Do you "start" in the front and then cut gradually longer bits until you've reached the end, almost like an U-shaped cut? If you understand what I mean, haha.

I'm also hesitant since I do like my hair like it is now, I only miss the tighter and bouncier curls I had when it was shorter. I mostly wear it up or in braids so maybe I can stand a little less curly hair the few times I wear it down, in favour of making it easier to braid and put up. I don't know.

Cinnamonagouti
January 1st, 2019, 03:18 PM
I don’t have any experience with curls but just wanted to say how beautiful your hair is :)

Thank you :flower:

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 03:22 PM
wo's new layers are indeed stunning!

So, I was inspired by wo who recently posted pictures of her newly cut in layers. We seem to have a very similar hair type and they made her hair look even better. I have thought about this on and off for some years, but have never came around doing it - mostly because I'm afraid it will make my ends feel thin and making it hard to do updos and braids without the ends sticking out. But at the same time, I would love to enhance my curls, especially sine I enjoy wearing my hair out every now and then.

That will depend greatly on the type of layering you get, you are less likely to get thinner ends when you ask for long (very long) layers. But do stress that they aren't to touch the length and be very specific on how much you want off, if at all you will be going for it.

I would not do home-cut layering, because I do the ponytail on the forehead method and look at the amount of layers I get. I get a deep V, with waist to classic layering (in my signature), so it "thins" out a lot. A hairdresser can do it much better than that if you don't want thinner ends.

But, again, be very specific. Maybe ask if you can take wo's pictures to the salon? Just a suggestion, and I hope wo doesn't blame me for suggesting it. :o

Cate36
January 1st, 2019, 03:30 PM
Thank you! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking; my hair is only medium thickness and cutting in too much layers (especially at this length) might make it feel significantly thinner. How does it work with face framing layers at longer lengths? I mean, doesn't it look weird to have some shorts bits and then suddenly everything else is a feet longer? Or how does it work? Do you "start" in the front and then cut gradually longer bits until you've reached the end, almost like an U-shaped cut? If you understand what I mean, haha.

I'm also hesitant since I do like my hair like it is now, I only miss the tighter and bouncier curls I had when it was shorter. I mostly wear it up or in braids so maybe I can stand a little less curly hair the few times I wear it down, in favour of making it easier to braid and put up. I don't know.

Not at all... I have long hair and a fringe (bangs) and a few layers cut around my face and it has never looked strange... I'm now growing them out because I'm measuring growth from my fringe :)

I agree with Lapushka.. go to a very well research, gentle, recommended hairdresser if you want to do it... and watch them like a hawk

Cinnamonagouti
January 1st, 2019, 03:32 PM
wo's new layers are indeed stunning!

That will depend greatly on the type of layering you get, you are less likely to get thinner ends when you ask for long (very long) layers. But do stress that they aren't to touch the length and be very specific on how much you want off, if at all you will be going for it.

I would not do home-cut layering, because I do the ponytail on the forehead method and look at the amount of layers I get. I get a deep V, with waist to classic layering (in my signature), so it "thins" out a lot. A hairdresser can do it much better than that if you don't want thinner ends.

But, again, be very specific. Maybe ask if you can take wo's pictures to the salon? Just a suggestion, and I hope wo doesn't blame me for suggesting it. :o

Yes, I think as much layering as you have would make it feel thin (I don't know exactly how thick your hair is, but given the iii classification it's surely a lot thicker than mine). And I would definitely go to the hairdresser for that. The bad thing is that I would probably need to go back for trimming/maintaining; it has to be harder trimming layers than blunt cuts. Actually I've never been to the salon in my life so that's a scary thought, too. My mum has always trimmed my hair as I've always had a blunt cut (both straight and U-shaped), or most advanced - a blunt fringe when I was a kid. If I decide to do it, I will really try to find a good salon.

Cinnamonagouti
January 1st, 2019, 03:35 PM
And also, maybe long layers wouldn't even make that much of a difference? My hair has had it's current curl tightness since around waist, so I'm not sure cutting off a few inches would help. Or maybe that's not how layers work?