PDA

View Full Version : Monthly measurements or pictures

plainjanegirl
November 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Which do you all prefer to track your progress and why?
Also do you prefer to measure or take the pic with wet or dry hair?
Are you strict about doing whichever on the same date of every month?
I want to keep track of my progress but want to do so in the most reliable way.

suicides_eve
November 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I go by visual. I take a monthly picture usually at the end of the month. My hair is curly so i try to show both, straighten and natural.
I am not strict on doing it- i just happen to remember everything last minuet. I keep an album b/c when i had short hair i looked to others monthly progress pictures for inspiration and i hope i can do the same for others in my former boat.

i tried to do the tape measuring thing but it was to inconstant for me to go by.

Sammybunny711
November 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I do a pic and measure in on the 20th of each month, but I also take lots of pics in between to document different washing methods and such. :o) I am also just obsessed right now and I am writing down every single fraction of an inch that I gain! This won't last for long I am sure and I will probably just go to the 20th each month and do one pic. and one measure in. :o) I always do it on dry, freshly clean hair. :o) My most recent pic makes my hair look a lot fuller due to the CV bars but it also looks a little shorter on the sides due to the body!

AnneAdeline
November 4th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I measure my hair and take pictures whenever I remember and have someone to do it (I've given up trying to take pictures of the back of my head). I'm not strict about it at all.

AJoifulNoise
November 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I take a picture sometime during the first week of every month. I used to measure, but it became discouraging when my growth slowed down. I measure sporadically now.

ClareDee
November 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I'm using my stripey neon jumper as my trusty measuring tool, and plan to take a picture every two months. Strictly. :whip:
Not monthly, because I think the average of half-an-inch per month is not going to be noticeable enough to my eye, and it's more satisfying to take a picture and see a whole new inch, rather than just thinking "hmm, is it any longer?"...

I have no-one to measure my hair for me :violin: and I was/am getting inconsistent results with the tape measurer because I can't do it properly myself. The stripes help me to get a much better idea of the rate of growth.
So... yeah... here I am recommending a stripey colourful jumper/shirt/top. :cool:

Bucatini
November 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Per the tape measure, I've been at 27" for nearly a year (impossible, since I don't trim!), but in photo's my growth shows. So I take a photo now and then, whenever I remember, and compare to the old ones. It's growing. Tape measure must be broken.

LawyerGirl
November 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
ClareDee... interesting idea with the stripes! I never would have thought of that!

Vitalai
November 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
ClareDee, I absolutely love your striped jumper idea! :idea:

I'm a more visual person, so when I can remember I just whip out the camera. It takes me several tries and sometimes I don't manage to get it that day, since I'm taking the picture myself. My parents don't understand my love for long hair, so I have to employ hair acrobatics to get a good picture. I don't do it on set dates, and I take them with my hair dry.

Magicknthenight
November 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Which do you all prefer to track your progress and why?
Also do you prefer to measure or take the pic with wet or dry hair?
Are you strict about doing whichever on the same date of every month?
I want to keep track of my progress but want to do so in the most reliable way.
I take pictures. I would measure but i worry i would start to measure too much and obsess! I take the pic with dry hair. Not really a strict date at all. Just when i feel like it. I keep my hair down to dry then i put it up..but when I'm just at home and it hasn't been up and gotten any kinks i will probably take a couple. You could do both. I may start to measure but limit myself!

ETA: i want to take more pictures outside our dark bathroom. It throws people off when i am outside taking pictures of the back of myself. muwahah. But i wish i had someone to take pictures for me. This timer thing isn't working for me. But i did get a new digital camera. (holiday present) my first thought was more hair pictures!

ilovelonghair
November 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
ClareDee... interesting idea with the stripes! I never would have thought of that!

A very good idea!

I don't measure at all (it's inaccurate and I don't go for lenght at the moment) but take pictures every now and then, but not monthly, because that would be frustration. I believe in the very scientific fact that if you don't measure etc it will grow faster :p (it's really true!)

HairColoredHair
November 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I used to measure monthly for the measure in thread, even kept a spread sheet. Then I couldn't measure by hand anymore and I tried to do so by photo, but the hassle made me stop. Going by visual now, taking photos whenever I notice it's a little longer (monthly +)

Meli
November 5th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I get very consistent measurements by measuring wet hair, so that is how I prefer to track my growth. The first months I was very strict about measuring on the first every month, now I can measure a couple of days sooner or later depending on when I wash my hair.

I get pictures when I feel like it, not very regular. My pictures don't seem to be very reliable for tracking growth because the length can look very different depending on the camera-angle and which shirt I'm wearing. Perhaps I could find a more consistent way to make pics if I took my time to figure out how the timer works and experiment with different angles/distance from the camera.

Shanarana
November 5th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I used to measure monthly for the measure in thread, even kept a spread sheet. Then I couldn't measure by hand anymore and I tried to do so by photo, but the hassle made me stop. Going by visual now, taking photos whenever I notice it's a little longer (monthly +)

A spread sheet...wow...that's commitment. :cheese:

This is kind of silly the way I used to measure my hair. I would take the insides and pull to the front and use my hands to count how many times my hands would keep going over the length. If that makes any sense.

squiggyflop
November 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM
im a picture girl.. my measuring skills arent great.. so every now and then ill post my progress in a picture thread.. i used to do it every month but my hair has been growing slowly as of late..

Addy
November 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I like to take pictures too. They don't lie! :D

burns_erin
November 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I measure, or rather have my sister measure, and I periodically have pictures taken. I am a bit more precse on the measuring because somehow seeing the numbers makes me feel compulsed to do so. Pictures I try to do whenever I feel pretty good about my hair so i do not freak too much, because pictures lie to me all the time, but my sister never does.

jojo
November 5th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I used to measure religiously every 1st of the month but then I hit a stall and found it upsetting month after months getting no growth. I haven't measured since ? aug as I had gone 2 months with no growth. I do not know if I have grown since Aug, but I intend to measure on the 1st Dec.

I tend to prefer photos these days as they are more reliable and less likely to get me upset! though i haven't taken many of them lately as I am ignoring my hair!!

Carolyn
November 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I do both. I measure every month. I don't understand why it's so hard to measure by yourself :shrug: If you do it the same way each time you'll get an accurate growth record. I've been measuring my hair since it was above APL and never have had difficulties. I don't take pictures on the first of the month. I really should do it when I measure. I never can see much difference in length in my pictures. If I had a mole or a tattoo or some kind of landmark to go by, I think it might be easier to see progress.

rhubarbarin
November 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I haven't been measuring for the last 6 months, but starting this month I am going to measure on the 1st of each month, and take a picture of dry hair both loose, and with longest strands pulled straight.

paper
November 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I take a pic on the first of the month, every month. I like to see the progress. Sometimes, I measure too on the first of the month. But, I really like to take progress pics.

DarkChocolate
November 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I prefer to take pictures with my hair dry because I go by the visual and my wet hair looks too clumped together.

I like to take pictures during the first week of the month.

I almost look forward to taking pictures every month.

jastark84
November 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I measure my hair wet when I remember to. I always have it up so it's a fun surprise when I do measure it.