PDA

View Full Version : Do you have other online forum(s) you visit for hair stuff?

Begemot
January 1st, 2019, 03:07 AM
I have been browsing Pinterest and stumbled across some pins of hair care. Some decent tips and some "baking soda and lemon juice!" type of stuff. Reddit has subreddits about hair but those aren't very active imo. TLHC is really the only (informative) place I come to read and discuss hair. I realized I don't even follow any hair blogs anymore... which is kind of sad.

So, is there any other forum(s) of discussion or good blogs/sites you lovely guys and girls go talk about hair care, growing, etc.? Personally I would love recommendations. Not because I'm looking to leave this place, just because of curiosity. TLHC for lyfe :lol:

Doreen
January 1st, 2019, 03:35 AM
Beyond this site, the most discussing I do about my hair is in Youtube comments, and even that is rare. I do like reading through them though! There can be a lot of useful info and advice.

TatsuOni
January 1st, 2019, 03:38 AM
Other than LHC I moderate a Swedish hair forum. It's less active than LHC and not dedicated to long hair but to hair in general, but I spend a lot of time there too. Other than that I haven't found any interesting hair forums.

JennGalt
January 1st, 2019, 03:44 AM
Beyond this site, the most discussing I do about my hair is in Youtube comments, and even that is rare. I do like reading through them though! There can be a lot of useful info and advice.

^^Same here. Mostly YouTube, but every now and then I check the Science-y Hair Blog just to see if anything new and applicable to me has been posted.

Begemot
January 1st, 2019, 03:53 AM
^^Same here. Mostly YouTube, but every now and then I check the Science-y Hair Blog just to see if anything new and applicable to me has been posted.

Thank you for mentioning the Science-y Hair Blog! I have a really distant memory that I have visited it in the past but forgot all about it.

Now I got another flashback: is there a thread somewhere here where you can post a link to your own hair blogs, separate from TLHC? I'll try to search for it...

Alibran
January 1st, 2019, 05:09 AM
I spend a lot of time in a big Curly Girl group on Facebook. That's where I learned the best hair care methods that are specific to my hair's needs.

Ylva
January 1st, 2019, 06:18 AM
Other than LHC I moderate a Swedish hair forum. It's less active than LHC and not dedicated to long hair but to hair in general, but I spend a lot of time there too. Other than that I haven't found any interesting hair forums.

Could you link it by any chance? Would love to join.

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 07:24 AM
I have been browsing Pinterest and stumbled across some pins of hair care. Some decent tips and some "baking soda and lemon juice!" type of stuff. Reddit has subreddits about hair but those aren't very active imo. TLHC is really the only (informative) place I come to read and discuss hair. I realized I don't even follow any hair blogs anymore... which is kind of sad.

So, is there any other forum(s) of discussion or good blogs/sites you lovely guys and girls go talk about hair care, growing, etc.? Personally I would love recommendations. Not because I'm looking to leave this place, just because of curiosity. TLHC for lyfe :lol:

I'm here, and I'm on "Raponsje", which is the Dutch/Belgian version. It's a bit more quiet on there, but still I love the people there.

And I'm on YT (not personally with vids or anything), but I watch & comment sometimes.

TatsuOni
January 1st, 2019, 08:53 AM
Could you link it by any chance? Would love to join.

Am I allowed to do that? I mean, I don't earn any money or anything from it and I don't own it... I'll add a link and the mods can remove it if I'm not allowed to share it. https://har.ifokus.se/ It's all in Swedish.

Ylva
January 1st, 2019, 09:02 AM
Am I allowed to do that? I mean, I don't earn any money or anything from it and I don't own it... I'll add a link and the mods can remove it if I'm not allowed to share it. https://har.ifokus.se/ It's all in Swedish.

I think this whole thread would be off limits if it wasn't allowed. I mean, just mentioning a forum by name would be promoting it, as someone could then find it through Google. I don't see anything forbidden about posting a non-commercial link. :)

Tack!

Cinnamonagouti
January 1st, 2019, 09:08 AM
Nowadays I'm mostly at LHC, but some years ago I was a lot at naturallycurly.com (which of course focuses on wavy and curly hair). Sometimes I also visit the Swedish forum TatsuOni wrote about, but I don't comment there very often.

AutobotsAttack
January 1st, 2019, 12:05 PM
I’m also a member of LHCF. Long hair care Forum. It’s been around for as long as this site has been around. Mostly a safe haven for Afro-Texured hair types.

EdG
January 1st, 2019, 12:10 PM
I was a member of the Men's Long Hair Hyperboard (http://www.mlhh.org) before I joined LHC.

MLHH is still around, but its traffic has dwindled to near-zero.
Ed

zashin66
January 1st, 2019, 02:13 PM
I was thrilled to find LHC and haven't needed to look other places. ....... Guess I'm kind of a "homebody"

DaniGirl
January 1st, 2019, 02:23 PM
I spend time on reddit in the hair subreddits. I also love YouTube videos.

Natalia_A00
January 1st, 2019, 04:16 PM
No, I think this forum is the best one. There are other hair forums but they're not as active, complete and useful as LHC. At least forums for my type of hair, I mean.

Vacurlylady
January 1st, 2019, 04:31 PM
I was thrilled to find LHC and haven't needed to look other places. ....... Guess I'm kind of a "homebody"

I agree. This forum fits all of my needs and hair obsessions. Haha! I’m thankful that it’s so active. I guess I never gave it a thought that it could be here and no one visit... that would be saddddd.... 😐

leayellena
January 2nd, 2019, 03:31 AM
I don't visit other blogs than this one, but I heard about the langhaarnetzwerk (german lhc). I follow (eresh on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/zilvervisje), torrin paige... sometimes I check out coffee and make-up. I follow maborosi and scienc-y hairblog on blogger.
there were a lot of "baking soda for your hair growth", "this will help thicken your hair", etc. I didn't believe a word of it, until I googled for "hair falls but I don't go bald". a lot fo questions have lead me to lhc over and over again for one year, until I joined :P

Nineteenbirds
January 2nd, 2019, 10:20 PM
There are a couple of long hair groups on Ravelry but they're not very active. I did get a good knitting pattern for an over-the-bun shawl from someone there, though.

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 04:24 PM
There are a couple of long hair groups on Ravelry but they're not very active. I did get a good knitting pattern for an over-the-bun shawl from someone there, though.

Very cute comment about the shawl. :o

Nineteenbirds
January 3rd, 2019, 10:39 PM
It looks pretty simple, just a whole lot of garter stitch and increases. With the right variegated yarn it would be spectacular over long hair. I'm pretty slow, though, so it would have to be for next year. It's good to have long-term goals!

Longlegs
January 4th, 2019, 02:56 AM
naturallycurly - even though I'm more wavy, and Haircrazy because I like to dye it unnatural colours.

Cate36
January 4th, 2019, 03:48 AM
I spend time on reddit in the hair subreddits. I also love YouTube videos.

I think I have watched every youtube vid on hair there is. Have learnt a lot.. seen some real horror stories.. it's helped in a way. But the LHC and the direct interaction from this community has been SO valuable.. So happy I found everyone here.

Begemot
January 5th, 2019, 10:45 AM
I think I have watched every youtube vid on hair there is. Have learnt a lot.. seen some real horror stories.. it's helped in a way. But the LHC and the direct interaction from this community has been SO valuable.. So happy I found everyone here.

This place really is the ultimate hair care information bank. The discussions and support are priceless :heart:

hannabiss
January 6th, 2019, 08:16 AM
There was a forum called Untamed Tresses (I think). I made an account way back in 2013 when I shaved my head and actually there were quite a few old LHC members there. Im suprised no ones really mentioned it. But it could be all but dead by now for all I know. Who knows.

Platzhalter
January 10th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Not really, at least not anymore. There's the Langhaarnetzwerk, which is (as already mentioned) some kind of German LHC, only smaller. But my activity on there's rather limited for various reasons.

zashin66
January 17th, 2019, 02:10 AM
Nope my hair prefers this site. And I just have to keep my hair happy

clandestine
January 17th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Once I found LHC I stopped looking around for others.

gustavonut
January 18th, 2019, 04:15 AM
I’ve looked for other sites before that could at least be similar to this one but I haven’t found anything.
This site is the most “active”.
I have asked hair questions on a forum site called Gaia online, but that doesn’t count because it’s a site for anime and avatar making. Not hair. :p

Dark40
January 18th, 2019, 10:09 AM
I spend a lot of time on the, "Long Hair Loom" forum. I've also learned a lot about hair care needs for my hair.

Spar
January 18th, 2019, 01:57 PM
There's /r/Haircarescience and /r/curly on reddit, but they're not nearly as helpful or informative as LHC.

Although I will say that LongHairCareForum has a ton of information that can even be applied to type 1 or 2 hair. It's a good website.

Begemot
February 7th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Although I will say that LongHairCareForum has a ton of information that can even be applied to type 1 or 2 hair. It's a good website.

I have been lurking that site a bit and like it! I'm not a WOC but like you said, there's lots of information and I like the atmosphere :)

Sid0rela
February 7th, 2019, 09:35 AM
I go on "Long hair community meeting place" on Facebook
I like that Fb page, it's active and positive

Groovy Granny
February 7th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Nope...LHC is IT :love: and occasionally I browse youtube for style ideas :shrug:

I tried the FB group years ago, but there were creepy guys lurking, and you can't hide your ID :tmi:

lapushka
February 7th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Nope...LHC is IT :love: and occasionally I browse youtube for style ideas :shrug:

I tried the FB group years ago, but there were creepy guys lurking, and you can't hide your ID :tmi:

Did you report it to the mods/admins of the FB group. I'm sure they'd want to know. :flower:

Groovy Granny
February 7th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Did you report it to the mods/admins of the FB group. I'm sure they'd want to know. :flower:

I think I did at the time...it was a big problem back then.
I am private anyway and just use FB for family and close friends, so I left the group :flower:
Pics were being lifted from the group and I didn't want to be targeted for my age/hair length/color.

Ligeia Noire
February 7th, 2019, 11:48 AM
There's nothing really that great out there. I think the high time for forums stopped five years or so ago. Nowadays, I am only here and I was on the fb long hair community one because I thought it was related to this one but when I found out it wasn't, I was a bit disappointed but stayed, regardless.
Lizz the admin is a sweetheart and they do keep the voyeurs away.
However, the bickering and drama made me leave. Don't have time for that. I did get one perk from there... Meeting and talking with Madora. She even shared pictures from when her hair was long. What a sight. I made a friend there. Kari and I know JJJ and Torrin are frequently there too. Curly tresses too and another nice lady that i forget the nickname....Nothing against it but it's not for me.

Alexandrina
February 7th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Ugh, that is awful groovygranny! Some people just have no respect for other people.

And it's not just privacy from your OWN pictures you have to worry about these days, I HATE how any one can snap a pic of you in public, THEY own the rights to the pic, and can post it anywhere they please.

Zero privacy these days.

Groovy Granny
February 7th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Ugh, that is awful groovygranny! Some people just have no respect for other people.

And it's not just privacy from your OWN pictures you have to worry about these days, I HATE how any one can snap a pic of you in public, THEY own the rights to the pic, and can post it anywhere they please.

Zero privacy these days.

I live out in the boonies but saw that on the news recently...the possibility never even crossed my mind :tmi:
Thankfully people are older like me or young enough to be just into their own selfies :p

Zesty
February 7th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I mostly get my hair fixes here and on Instagram. You have to be careful with Insta though, plenty of creepers, but it is possible to have fun conversations with other longhairs in the comments, and see a lot of very pretty hair. I think a lot of LHCers can't tolerate it though, and I don't blame them.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos but I don't know if I've ever commented.

I like to check 691superlonghair for a blog fix.

But really, the LHC is the last word on long hair forums IMO. Great people, great content, friendly atmosphere, etc.

Ceib
February 7th, 2019, 09:15 PM
I'm in a few FB groups and tend to browse the long hair and curly hair subreddits. Pinterest is hit or miss for me, I see a lot of bad advice there.

Begemot
February 8th, 2019, 03:22 AM
Pinterest is hit or miss for me, I see a lot of bad advice there.

Tell me about it. Last time while browsing Pinterest I came across a pin saying that you can grow an inch during night if you braid your hair in four sections, BUT it only works if you drink two big glasses of water before sleeping :lol: all kinds of foolishness there.

PixieNixie
February 8th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Yes. I stalk Instagram for hair color inspiration and have two other forums I visit that specialize in fashion color hair dyeing. I also just google stuff. I tend to watch and follow curly girl method stuffs. My hair isnt really curly per say but I find some of their tricks and tips very useful.

truepeacenik
February 8th, 2019, 09:58 AM
I was a member of the Men's Long Hair Hyperboard (http://www.mlhh.org) before I joined LHC.

MLHH is still around, but its traffic has dwindled to near-zero.
Ed
MLHH might be how I found LHC.
A woman mentioned in it a comment.

Katsura
February 8th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I've sometimes ended up on the Finnish juurikasvu.org googling something about haircare, but I'm not a memeber there.

Begemot
February 8th, 2019, 10:25 AM
I've sometimes ended up on the Finnish juurikasvu.org googling something about haircare, but I'm not a memeber there.

I was around when the hair section of the forum had more action but it's not very active anymore. There's more talk about cosmetics etc.

YvetteVarie
February 11th, 2019, 12:17 PM
I lurk on Long Hair Care Forum. Hopefully, I can manage to pay the sub and access the full site. I also go on a facebook page for naturals in my country. It has a generally good vibe, and there is some good information there

languagenut
February 13th, 2019, 11:03 PM
I just happened to stumble across this forum while looking for instructions on how to use hair sticks. I don't frequent any other hair sites, as I haven't looked for any; I wasn't even really looking for this one! :lol:

Tell me about it. Last time while browsing Pinterest I came across a pin saying that you can grow an inch during night if you braid your hair in four sections, BUT it only works if you drink two big glasses of water before sleeping :lol: all kinds of foolishness there.

And maybe if you do it at midnight, under a full moon, you'll get two inches! But really, the only result I'd get from following that pin's advice would be being up all night...

Begemot
February 14th, 2019, 05:47 AM
And maybe if you do it at midnight, under a full moon, you'll get two inches! But really, the only result I'd get from following that pin's advice would be being up all night...

LOL! :lol: These crazy tips that have nothing to back up their claims are hurting my head.

Hairkay
February 14th, 2019, 10:04 AM
I check out youtube for hairstyle inspiration though I am aware of a lot of click bait including "grow hair overnight" nonsense.

Shepherdess
February 14th, 2019, 10:19 AM
I used to visit a couple other hair forums, including a curly hair one, but I just don't have time to put much energy into so many places anymore. I did join a few facebook groups recently. Other than forums and groups, I love finding inspiration on Pinterest, mostly for long hair pictures and vintage hair pictures and hair toys. I'm sort of done with trying to find hair care tips and really only just looking for inspiration or perhaps a better way of putting up my hair. :) I do follow a few long hairs on Instagram and YouTube too.

Natalia_A00
February 14th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Also I've tried finding forums in Spanish but I wasn't lucky! I don't think there are many active forums on the internet nowadays, this is one of them. Now people use Facebook groups I guess, reddit, etc

blesseddamozel
February 14th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Not a forum but I'll echo some others in saying Youtube ^^ But the LHC is truly the best IMHO :crush: