PDA

View Full Version : Hair beginning to split halfway up the strand

Doreen
January 1st, 2019, 02:38 AM
I have noticed on my coarser strands that the hair partially splits up the strand. It forms kind of an oblong shape like <> but doesn't completely branch off, if that makes sense.

My questions are: Have you experienced this? What causes it? How can I prevent it?

I made a picture (https://imgur.com/a/n9iArr2) to illustrate since my explanation was probably unclear:

https://i.imgur.com/cxrS24k.png

Servana
January 1st, 2019, 05:44 AM
I've seen this in some of my coarse strands too. I don't have an answer but hopefully someone else does!

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 08:36 AM
Hair can split *so* many different ways, and this is one of them. I would cut above the "0", and just be done with it.

If that's the only split in your hair, consider yourself happy. :thumbsup:

There is no way to prevent split ends, but moisturize your hair well. Keep it well-conditioned, put some stylers on your hair (like for sure a leave-in and some serum). There's tons of ways to moisturize on this forum.

The rest is just... luck, I'm afraid.

I don't get them at all, but then I don't look for them either. ;)

MusicalSpoons
January 1st, 2019, 08:41 AM
I've had those occasionally (in fact I've probably had every type of split there is :rolleyes:) but I don't know what the cause is :shrug: They happen in my weak, feeble white blonde hairs far more than in my [normal-for-me] medium darker hairs - so the opposite of your experience it seems!

Gwyned
January 1st, 2019, 09:43 AM
I have gotten these splits before. They are normally on my coarse hairs. I was thinking if it had something to with snagging or maybe certain kinds of pins and clips. Or even when my hair gets stuck in my jewelry. This particular kind of split concerns me because it's significantly higher up than other splits. I think Lapushka is right about conditioning and using serums (or whatever nourishes and protects your hair). My hair hasn't been super dry in a really long time. In fact, it has improved in regards to moisture retention since joining this forum. I wish I had a definite answer. Thinking about these things could drive you crazy. Hahaha.

Doreen
January 1st, 2019, 11:34 AM
I have gotten these splits before. They are normally on my coarse hairs. I was thinking if it had something to with snagging or maybe certain kinds of pins and clips. Or even when my hair gets stuck in my jewelry. This particular kind of split concerns me because it's significantly higher up than other splits. I think Lapushka is right about conditioning and using serums (or whatever nourishes and protects your hair). My hair hasn't been super dry in a really long time. In fact, it has improved in regards to moisture retention since joining this forum. I wish I had a definite answer. Thinking about these things could drive you crazy. Hahaha.

Yes they are very pesky since they're so high up! And they don't stick out so it is almost impossible to find them and cut them off. I couldn't even find one to take a picture of it so had to make that drawing instead. I guess I will try not to think about them too much since there doesn't seem to be much to do about them. Once they turn into a "real" split end and I can see them more easily I'll trim them off.

Reyn127
January 1st, 2019, 11:42 AM
I definitely get these, regularly. For me, most splits seem to be caused by getting damaged while tangled. Like being stuck in a tight knot, the hair is forced to bend at an acute angle, which weakens those spots. And then when I go to comb then out, any tugging, even gently, can maybe weaken those places further. There’s all sorts of bending, twisting, tugging, etc. in tangles.

My recommendation is not to worry too much, first of all. I would snip it off just above where it’s splitting, so that strand doesn’t continue to get worse, or affect the ones around it when it inevitably tangles again. And yeah, maybe do a conditioning treatment every so often - more moisture if your hair is all brittle and dry, or more protein if your hair is stretchy and weak. And just generally be gentle with it, and you should be fine.

Reyesuela
January 1st, 2019, 02:21 PM
For me, it was caused by clothing friction.

blackgothicdoll
January 1st, 2019, 03:01 PM
BBBs that actually have nylon bristles, and combs with seams can definitely cause these in coarse strands.