PDA

View Full Version : Looking to substitute a product

joyinc
January 1st, 2019, 02:04 AM
Hi everyone!

Gosh it's been an eternity since I've posted here. I have a hair dilemma and i'm not sure if there's a product out there for me.

My hair loves silicones. I've tried oils, but the cones are what has made me able to grow my hair to my waist. Specifically the only product that has worked for me is this:

https://dr9wvh6oz7mzp.cloudfront.net/i/6b76a0b06e9df90576b608b9b0a40f1c_ra,w380,h380_pa,w 380,h380.png
It's worked for me for years faithfully. That and the serum.

My problem is now that I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. It's gotten way out of hand lately. I've switched to all different kinds of scent free natural shampoos, but without my serum, my hair is dry and brittle. It's heavenly with silicones.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a similar product that is completely fragrance free? I'd be so grateful. I should have asked sooner. I'm at the point where i'm ready to chop it off!

akurah
January 1st, 2019, 02:16 AM
Naturelle Biotera makes a styling gel that is fragrance free, unfortunately it also does appear to be cone free. They also make fragrance free shampoo and conditioner, and the conditioner has cones, so maybe switching to a fragrance free come conditioner might help.

I can't speak to how it might affect someone with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, but I have an unknown skin condition that demands fragrance free and I've really liked this stuff.

https://www.naturellepro.com/biotera-hypoallergenic

You are going to have trouble finding fragrance free products unfortunately. I've been fuming about the whole thing for a little over a year now. It's really infuriating

Doreen
January 1st, 2019, 03:11 AM
My hair also loves silicones, but lately I have been using Josie Maran "Light" argan oil as my serum. It has no scent or fragrance. The coney serum I liked best was discontinued, but the oil seems to work just as well. I'd say it's worth a try -- the full size bottle is very expensive but you can get a mini bottle or just go to Sephora and ask for a sample.

Also, this might be an unconventional suggestion but a lot of lubricants are just variations of cones. For example Astroglide X Silicone only has two ingredients: cyclomethicone and dimethicone, which are commonly found in many hair products as well. No fragrance. I have never tried it on my hair, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 07:41 AM
What about natural oils?

This may not be as natural, but...

Mineral oil is *great* to use, if you're OK with it?

Just get some baby oil (fragrance), or mineral oil (I've seen on YT they have it in any supermarket in the US), and it is fragrance free that way. You just need a couple drops, spread through the palms of your hands, and applied to the last bits of your hair.

Works *wonders*!

joyinc
January 1st, 2019, 11:37 AM
This is genius! I'm off to look for lube! Lol

Sadly I've tried every oil out there. Nothing but tangles and snaps! Oh my gosh, I cant believe I never thought of lube!!!

Alibran
January 1st, 2019, 11:58 AM
Also, this might be an unconventional suggestion but a lot of lubricants are just variations of cones. For example Astroglide X Silicone only has two ingredients: cyclomethicone and dimethicone, which are commonly found in many hair products as well. No fragrance. I have never tried it on my hair, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Using lube as a finishing product isn't uncommon for people following the Curly Girl method. Obviously, it's only the silicone free lubes that are CG friendly, but there's no reason why silicone based lubes wouldn't work the same for people who need cones.

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 03:37 PM
There is silicone lube & water based lube, so you might want to see what you want.

joyinc
January 2nd, 2019, 08:13 PM
Thank you all so much! I found some silicone lube on amazon!