PDA

View Full Version : does oiling your scalp make you loose more hair?

me lene
December 31st, 2018, 08:01 AM
Hello again! :D
I wanted to ask if oiling your scalp and hair make you notice that you loose more hair when you wash them.
I think i have this problem with all the oils that i had used.
Did anyone else have noticed the same?
If now what oil you used that worked for you?

MusicalSpoons
December 31st, 2018, 08:09 AM
For me, I'm not sure - more manipulation at my scalp makes me shed more, whether I'm using an oil or not. I don't know if oil increases the amount extra I shed, but I just don't oil my scalp any more because it requires extra manipulation both to put the oil on, and get it out (massaging conditioner in) and I just don't have the energy for it :shrug: and I wasn't a fan of losing extra hair all the time!

Edit: I do use oil for the ROO method, which keeps my ends pretty happy :)

ArabellaRose
December 31st, 2018, 08:14 AM
Yep, I found putting oil on my scalp caused an alarming boost in my hair shed! I still use oil on my lengths, both as part of the ROO method and LCO method with no issues :)

lapushka
December 31st, 2018, 08:30 AM
Hello again! :D
I wanted to ask if oiling your scalp and hair make you notice that you loose more hair when you wash them.
I think i have this problem with all the oils that i had used.
Did anyone else have noticed the same?
If now what oil you used that worked for you?

Some people can lose more hair when oiling the scalp or putting conditioner on the scalp. If you notice more shedding, stop oiling your scalp or putting conditioner on your scalp - it is a "thing" for some people. A few users here have lost a lot of circumference due to it. So it is not just hairs that would have come out anyway.

Just be mindful of it.

spidermom
December 31st, 2018, 09:38 AM
Lately I've been applying safflower oil (about 1 tsp) from scalp to ends and doing an inversion massage before washing. No increased shedding yet.

Ylva
December 31st, 2018, 09:46 AM
I have personally not experienced increased shedding due to oiling my scalp, but I know some people do. I usually don't do it more often than once a week due to laziness.

Natalia_A00
January 1st, 2019, 04:18 PM
Once I put coconut oil on my scalp and it caused a massive shed! It depends on the person but for me, having a super oily scalp causes my hair to fall more. I notice it when I don't wash my hair for days, my scalp gets very oily and then in the shower I lose A LOT of hair

Wendyp
January 1st, 2019, 06:16 PM
Very much so. My hair would continuously shed and I had no ideas why until I read it on the forum. I never let any oil near my scalp. I oil my ends though and my hair loves Roo.

lithostoic
January 1st, 2019, 06:21 PM
Nope but not properly cleansing my scalp does.

blackgothicdoll
January 1st, 2019, 06:29 PM
I think it depends on the oil, from what I've read. People who use thicker oils on their scalp experience a lot of shed. I figure this is because the oil is too thick and clogs the follicles. I personally don't like applying thicker oils to my scalp, either, though I can't recall if I've experienced shed from them before. If I'm going to put oil on my scalp, I usually plan the wash the same day or the next day. The only exception is if my scalp is very dry and it will put the oil 'to good use', so to speak.

So in summary I think if one doesn't have a dry scalp and uses a somewhat heavy oil, their scalp is like 'ew wth' and starts shedding lol.

Cate36
January 1st, 2019, 07:28 PM
I asked an Indian hair dresser about this. She told me never to leave oil on my scalp over night because it could block the pours of the scalp and cause shedding. She said use for only a short period... 2 hours max.. and then wash off. That way you get the benefits without extra shedding. I DO know people that use oil overnight with no negative side effects, but I personally don't do it.. I oil before washing and leave for around 15 mins...

gustavonut
January 2nd, 2019, 03:12 AM
No, my scalp will usually tell me by producing even more oil if I used too much. I also double wash my hair (wash twice with shampoo) and that always gets the oil out. Since my hair is so short right now I use pre poo oilings as conditioning. I haven’t used normal conditioner in about a month.

cestlavie
January 2nd, 2019, 03:20 AM
I don't experience excessive shedding when I oil my scalp and I never leave it in for a whole night, only 1-3 hours. A good brush before applying the oil is a must for me.

ArabellaRose
January 2nd, 2019, 04:01 AM
I've tried lighter oils and once only left it on for half an hour (I used it as a carrier for EO) and still experienced a lot of shed. Nevermind eh! My hair is nicer now with ROO anyway and it's less effort :D

Growitagain28
January 2nd, 2019, 05:57 AM
I cannot use coconut oil on my scalp, the amount of shedding that happens in the shower afterwards is unreal. Lesson learned! Castor/olive seem to be fine for my scalp. No issues no shedding. It’s so odd!

Yousra
January 2nd, 2019, 09:21 AM
Yes I lose a lot of hair when I put oil on my sclap. It's a shame because I bought oils specifically for the scalp and kept them all night long. The results on the hair growth were extraordinary however I lost a lot of hair (it's really alarming). I slept with oils, since 10 days I ve decided to I keep oils just an hour on the scalp but I noticed that I continue losing my hair so i think i will completely stop oiling my scalp!

truepeacenik
January 2nd, 2019, 12:13 PM
I asked an Indian hair dresser about this. She told me never to leave oil on my scalp over night because it could block the pours of the scalp and cause shedding. She said use for only a short period... 2 hours max.. and then wash off. That way you get the benefits without extra shedding. I DO know people that use oil overnight with no negative side effects, but I personally don't do it.. I oil before washing and leave for around 15 mins...

This is my experience. I used to overnight oil, but now I use castor, avocado (or any thinner oil to dilute) and essential oils for an hour prior to washing. And certainly not every time.

LittleOgre
January 2nd, 2019, 01:24 PM
Ive actually experienced less shedding when I oil my scalp and I use like 20 drops lol. xD

fraulin
January 12th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Gosh, I was about to put some oil on my scalp and now I don't know what to do. I feel like oiling my scalp helps with my hair growth and my hair feels a lot nicer after washing my hair but I also experience a lot of shedding while oiling my scalp. Well, usually my hair would also shed a lot if I massage my scalp with no oil or brush my hair. So I feel so lost now.

Cg
January 12th, 2019, 03:34 PM
For my desert-dry skin/scalp, I need oil, any kind. No noticeable extra shedding.

sophia_
January 12th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Massaging my scalp while I have oil in it makes me shed a little bit, but as long as I don't massage too much, nothing happens.

MusicalSpoons
January 12th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Gosh, I was about to put some oil on my scalp and now I don't know what to do. I feel like oiling my scalp helps with my hair growth and my hair feels a lot nicer after washing my hair but I also experience a lot of shedding while oiling my scalp. Well, usually my hair would also shed a lot if I massage my scalp with no oil or brush my hair. So I feel so lost now.

In that case, it depends whether the benefits are worth the extra shedding, for you :)

Reservechic
January 12th, 2019, 04:13 PM
I've tried a number of different natural oils and oil mixtures that I have used on my hair as pre-poo treatments, and because the only time that I do a major manipulation of my hair is on my hair wash days, I equate the hairs that I see as being a result of shed hairs that were meant to fall out anyways. Anytime, we touch our hair we are manipulating it, in some way. Because it is normal to shed up to 50-100 hairs a day, which is a lot, but of course the less you manipulate your hair, the less shed hairs you will see on a daily basis. I happen to wear my hair in a bun a whole lot, so on a daily basis, outside of my hair wash days, I manipulate my hair with my fingers, which doesn't allow for me to see even 50 shed hairs a day.

The only reason why I stopped doing regular weekly pre-poo oil treatments is because, the oil would be running down my face and my neck and back (and that is with a plastic cap on) and it is very messy to deal with. Also, I have experienced breakouts because of such too. So, I only do so when the mood hits me, outside of that, I have seen no difference in how coconut oil affects my hair shed rate versus other natural oils at all.

JennGalt
January 12th, 2019, 09:13 PM
For my desert-dry skin/scalp, I need oil, any kind. No noticeable extra shedding.

Same here! My scalp will get dry enough to crack and bleed without it. No increase in shedding; if anything, it’s caused a decrease.

Doreen
January 13th, 2019, 12:37 AM
No I haven't lost hair from oiling my scalp. But I have only done it as a pre-poo treatment, leaving it there for a max of 15mins. However, I have lost hair from not sticking to my wash schedule and letting my hair become too oily with my natural oils. For that reason I don't ever plan to let any oil sit on my scalp for very long. There were probably other factors from not washing (fungus, maybe) but I just don't think my scalp benefits much from having excess oil of any kind.

fraulin
January 13th, 2019, 05:20 AM
In that case, it depends whether the benefits are worth the extra shedding, for you :)

I thought the same thing and ended up oiling my scalp. The shedding wasn't so bad as I was expecting so maybe that was due to stress or some other health issues.