PDA

View Full Version : side shave: anyone tried to stealth grow one out?

Isobibbel
December 30th, 2018, 10:36 AM
had the side of my head shaved for about five years now, missing being able to do symmetrical styles but don't want to cut all of my long hair off to grow it out.
has anyone tried growing out a side shave stealthily and how hard is it to hide?
this is how it looks now
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvrn2i8WoAYQYOj.jpg:large

Beckstar
December 30th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I've had a side shave for 2 years, mine hair is near APL. I've let it grow out for a while before and used bobby pins or gel to slick it back. I just styled as normal or I do a comb over to hide it.

Corvana
December 30th, 2018, 10:48 AM
When I was hiding mine, I just parted my hair the other way lol.

_fred_
December 30th, 2018, 11:18 AM
A friend of mine had a side shave with APL length hair, and grew it out while she was growing the main part of her hair to BSL/MBL. She said it was annoying, but doable. Like corvana, she hid it by parting her hair differently.

Best of luck growing it out, Isobibbel :blossom:

lapushka
December 30th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Should be easy if you apparently have all that hair to cover it! I know it's going to get through awkward stages, but all you have to do is move your hair over it, and hey... you're good! Wish I could have grown out a pixie like that. :)

cjk
December 30th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Stealth means hiding. And the more you try to hide something, the more obvious it becomes.

I can't wait to see how you work with the two distinct lengths, as it grows out. Should be lots of room for creativity!

Isobibbel
December 30th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Stealth means hiding. And the more you try to hide something, the more obvious it becomes.

I can't wait to see how you work with the two distinct lengths, as it grows out. Should be lots of room for creativity!

that could be fun, except I work as a community carer so I need my hair up and presentable all of the time >.<

Danglish
December 31st, 2018, 12:26 AM
My hair is super flat and fine, but there's a lot of it, so I actually managed to stealth grow a side shave, and an undercut on the other side as well, at the same time :)

Simsy
December 31st, 2018, 01:44 AM
Part your hair differently, and do low buns and braids to disguise the shaved side. Once you get some growth on that side, you should be fine to start raising the styles, since the short section won’t be as obvious.

Rowdy
December 31st, 2018, 01:52 AM
An old coworker of mine grew out a side shave exactly like that. She just did a deep side part to cover the shaved side with some low side buns and ponytails. We actually had no idea at all that she was growing out short bits until she said something about it one day! Your hair looks pretty thick, you shouldn't have a problem hiding it.

Isobibbel
January 1st, 2019, 07:17 AM
thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone, growing it out may have to wait though as I've been asked to be a bridesmaid in the coming months...