PDA

View Full Version : Are we really really vain?

Marchpane
November 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
To spend all this time and effort and money, just so our hair looks good? I'm not trying to be rude lol, I'm honestly wondering. I find it really fun to try all this stuff with my hair and try to get it as nice and healthy as possible... that's not vain is it? Lol I worry. XD

HairColoredHair
November 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Phbbbt. Nah. I don't even put on makeup, I can't be vain. :lol:

Isilme
November 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
well, I'm quite vain, but hair is also fun!

Chromis
November 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
That rather depends on your attitude rather than your time. I know some people that take hardly any time at all on their appearance but are still quite vain!

ClareDee
November 4th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Well....there are religious and spiritual elements to the whole long-hair thing too, for some people. They have long hair to concur with a belief system or world view or spiritual sense of self... or as a form of rebellion against something maybe, and need to care for that hair so that they can keep it long and so it will get longer....

So I'd say there are some non-vain exceptions. :hmm:

For me? Yeah, vanity! Not diluted with much else, to be honest ;)
As a semi excuse though, I haven't been vain about myself much before now, so I feel like it's fair enough to have a vanity outlet in my life. I always considered myself plain-looking, and this feels like a chance to be something more than plain. It's for fun, too :shrug: :)

AJoifulNoise
November 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Meh, perhaps. But, I've never been one to be overly concerned with how I look. My hair is more like a pet project. As long as I'm happy with it, I don't care what anyone else things!

MsBubbles
November 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Obsessed, perhaps :agree:. If I had hair like some o' y'all I'd definitely be vain about it. So there.

It's been 5 years since I bought myself any new clothes, so I figure it's ok to spend $38 on a hair clip from Nordstroms (Ficcare).

wintersun99
November 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Ponytale
November 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM
OH--Your post made me chuckle. I am not sure--I don't exactly broadcast that I read this forum because of "how it might sound". I try to dress creatively and feel good--but honestly, I am quite unsure how attractive I am! Some days I feel good, others I feel very plain. I guess my hair has always been *my* feature that makes me feel pretty.

In highschool, I remember some really snippy girls saying to a friend of mine that I "would be nothing without my hair". She said her response was "Yah...she would probably have to give back her membership in the National Honor Society". She was a good friend.

Elainehali
November 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
we all need our hobbies!

I think it's important for people to feel good about their physical appearance. Some people focus on their weight, some go to tanning salons or get their nails done.

We choose hair. I dont think hair-people are more vain than nail-people or clothes-people. lol or even boob-people for that matter.

Bene
November 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
well, i find that i spend less time and money for hair care since i've decided to grow it long. blow drying and serums and stuff, that's tons of time and money. the shampoos and conditioners i've started using since finding this site are wayyyyy cheaper than herbal essences and fructise.

although, i do find that i'm spending money on toys. i do for quality items, not flashy or attention grabbing.

i suppose i could be called vain if i were growing it, just so i could wear it down and look at it all day long. which i don't.

Nat242
November 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't think so. I joined LHC so I could spend far less time and money on my hair (my hair used to be pretty problematic), and pursue a healthier, more natural way of caring for my hair and body, and it's definitely worked out that way. I love hanging out on LHC, but I came here for the hair tips, and stayed for the friendship. I like and enjoy my hair, but I don't spend much time on it at all.

galleth
November 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Well, I spend a LOT less on my hair now that I actually really care for it....
Before, it was "just" hair, and it cost me a fortune to make it look presentable!

squiggyflop
November 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM
yup i never bother to put on makeup either.. guess i cant be vain either..

plainjanegirl
November 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
we all need our hobbies!

I think it's important for people to feel good about their physical appearance. Some people focus on their weight, some go to tanning salons or get their nails done.

We choose hair. I dont think hair-people are more vain than nail-people or clothes-people. lol or even boob-people for that matter.

That's a good way to look at it.

I don't spend a whole lot of money on my hair (I might spend more if I had more money :cheese:).
But I do talk alot about this or that having to do with hair and my mom says I am vain about it.
But I don't wear make up or worry alot about clothes. So I guess it would even out right.

Darkhorse1
November 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
OMG! I was going to make this post! Not in an 'offensive' matter, but curiously.

Honestly? Vainty is more than just loving your hair. I mean, if you love it to the point where you are rude to others, I think that might be a bit extreme. But, I think we just love long hair. Is there anything wrong with loving your hair?

I love long hair and this site has inspired me to try new styles and try new things and my hair looks great!! I've found new hair toys and met great people, so I can't think that this is a vain thing ;)

mira-chan
November 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Same here.
I don't even comb it half the time. :p

Isblå
November 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'd guess we are more or less the same level of vain as everyone else, on average but maybe our image of beauty is different. Most people want to look like the latest trend, most of us, it seems, would rather look like classic goddesses...

girlcat36
November 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Great question, and it's something that I feared people would think of me if I divulged that I belong to a long hair forum.
I think the majority of the members here are not vain.
I figure why should I go around with my hair looking like cr@p if I can come here and find ways to make it more presentable. Mainstream products and hair care methods have only hurt my hair.
I don't wear much make-up, never get spa treatments, had two manicures in my lifetime, and don't dress up. Couldn't really care about being in 'stylish' clothes. So I don't think it is a case of being vain. As another poster said, it's like a hobby.

girlcat36
November 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I'd guess we are more or less the same level of vain as everyone else, on average but maybe our image of beauty is different. Most people want to look like the latest trend, most of us, it seems, would rather look like classic goddesses...

YES! Classic goddesses! That's what we are!;)

ChatoyantLocks
November 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
For me it's more about play, than about vanity. I mean, I ended up with long hair because I didn't bother going to a salon for a decade and a half. How vain can I be? But as long as long as all of the long colorful stuff is here now, I might as well play with it! :D

And there are *toys!* to play with too! Oh joy! :joy:

florenonite
November 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Am I vain? I don't think so, only pretty people are vain xP

In honesty, though, I don't think so. I don't stand there primping my hair in front of the mirror like some girls used to in the loo in between classes at school. Rather, I put it up, and if it starts to come out I can fix it without a mirror. I want long hair, partially for the way it looks, but also for convenience, and therefore I don't think I'm vain.

suicides_eve
November 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM
i'm far to poor to afford vanity :D

DecafJane
November 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
It is probably more like a hobby than vanity. :)

Tressie
November 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Sounds good to me!!!!!!!!! (o:

Tristessa
November 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
What a great post idea. LOL my issues with vanity would exist irrespective of my LHC visiting! Gotta work on that-

I've worried a bit about myself when I've gone through my computer photo albums and noticed the huge amount of pictures I've tried to take to capture my updos, and I try to remind myself like with everything to keep it in moderation-

-but after having been around LHC for over a year, I have come to view this as a hobby, and it is a fun one that makes me feel a lot better about my appearance, as hair is something I control whereas there are other things I can't necessarily change, and it's actually (this will sound cheesy) added joy to my life during times that otherwise would have been bleaker. So I vote hobby. =)

Teazel
November 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
we all need our hobbies!

Heh, that's what I tell my DH and DS18 when they roll their eyes at being asked to take yet another photo of my hair. :o Hair care certainly falls into the category of hobby or project.

I don't think it's vanity, as such. Not excessive vanity, anyhow. I love the way long hair looks and feels in general, so I like having it myself... plus I've always had long hair, I wouldn't feel like me without it. So I might as well make the most of it, since I've got it.

I don't spend much time on it. As for money, I buy the odd hair toy or product, but that's no different to buying new earrings or body lotion.

It's nice to come here to LHC to talk about hair and show off pictures - and maybe even inspire someone else. Nobody in everyday life ever comments on the latest updo I've mastered, so it's a boost to be able to get feedback here. If it's positive feedback, it can positively make my day. :D I have wondered if I'm getting addicted to compliments, though. :o

longhairedfairy
November 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't spend all that much time on my hair and I need very little money to maintain it!:)

NiAosSi
November 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Neither do I! Whew, for a second I was little :hmm:....

BlndeInDisguise
November 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I think of my "hair hobby" as just taking good care of it, like I try to do with my whole body. I do have long hair for religious reasons, but I used to have long hair and not take good care of it. It's just like exercising and eating right and drinking lots of water and taking vitamins, I guess.

Akiko
November 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Is it vain? Hmmm. Maybe a little. But it is important to me.:)

Oberon88
November 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I think vanity and wanting to look good are even separate things. I don't find anything vain about wanting your hair to look nice and to be healthy.
Vanity to me is more..... I don't know, there's something mean about it, like you think you're better than others because of your hair/clothes/figure.
My mom used to harass me about not caring about/for my hair, now that I do, she claims that I'm vain. And yet I don't wear much makeup and always go out in jeans and dirty boots.
:shrug:

purplebubba
November 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm so vain I probably think this thread is about me.

BunnyBee
November 4th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I don't think it's vanity, it's good to have pride in something about yourself. I think taking care of you hair is a much healthier form of "vanity" if you want to call it that, compared to some of the things people do in order to feel good about themselves - such as cosmetic surgery.

We all want to look good after all! hehe :)

Chromis
November 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM

:rollin:

You walked into this thread like you were walking onto a yacht!

purplebubba
November 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM

You walked into this thread like you were walking onto a yacht!

I had some dreams they were :cloud9: in my :coffee:

gdimoonbeam
November 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I tend to think of my hair as freedom, there's nothing like standing on the beach and letting the sea air flow past lifting the strands...or just the feeling of letting it down and not to mention going against social norms i.e. see the treads about being too old for long hair.

I also enjoy seeing just how long I can grow it.

Carolyn
November 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I think it all depends on your definition of what is vain. I don't see the typical definition of vanity as a bad thing either :shrug: Would it really be anyone's business how much time or money I (or anyone else) spend on my hair or other "vain" activities? My hair activities should not even be on anyone's radar. It's my money and my time and I'm not harming anyone. I'm making me happy :p

GlassEyes
November 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM
...judging from the fact that I can't not look in a miror when I walk by it, must constantly check my hair to see if it's all right, and nearly pitch a mental fit whenever it doesn't look good, yes, I'd say I'm vain.

I have issues with self-confidence, and when my hair looks less than great they show up constantly. It's the one aspect of my appearence I have true control over, unlike...other factors, like my face. I'm not going to go into details with that one.

At least I'm not shallow, and yes, there is a difference. Or at least, i don't think I'm shallow; it's relative, I suppose.

Buddaphlyy
November 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM
For some people, yeah, but most, I think no. I'm not vain about my hair. I see it as an extension of my regular self. So just like I care for my body and face regularly, I care for my hair regularly.

RavennaNight
November 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Well, let's see... I found a hobby. It started with wanting to grow long hair that actually looks pretty. Now it's morphed into an actual health and wellness thing. no more chemical dye: healthy. Making sure I take my vitamins: Healthy. Drinking more water: Healthy! Exercising 3-4 times a week in the gym: Healthy! These are all things I picked up since I joined LHC.(THANX LHC:inlove:) Vain? Maybe a little. ;) I do put some time into my appearance on a daily basis. But I think it's all for a happier, healthier Ravenna. If you can't take care of yourself, how can you take responsibility for anyone else, anyway? I just found a way to make healthier choices more fun. :)

Emichiee
November 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Is vain a bad thing honestly?

I think you can see it in another light - a woman who takes good care of her looks (hair) is a good thing IMO.:)

kwaniesiam
November 4th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I don't view it as being vain, I view it as taking care of myself. Your hair is a part of your physical body, is it not? And that part requires care to keep it healthy, just like your body needs proper nutrition, enough sleep, etc. to function and be the best it can be.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
And if we are, who cares? With hair like some of us have or are getting, we deserve to be:)

ole gray mare
November 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I think a certain amount of vanity is very healthy.

As for the hair, I consider this care to be efficient. I spend less time on it now than I used to, yet it looks better (most days, anyway.) So it's more an exercise in efficiency...I get a bigger bang from less buck.

But, really, vanity (to a degree) is very healthy.

Missie
November 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'm thinking if I had really beautiful hair I probably would be vain. I mean hair that is thick and soft and shining and moves like silk...
yes I would be..
My hair though isn't in that league at all so I simply enjoy finding products to baby it along and help preserve it to be the best and longest it can be (at my great age :) ) Its a little indulgence that makes me feel happy and as a member of a long hair family at the LHC, I see many beautiful healthy heads of hair and I share their delight and triumph.
I think spending this time on the LHC board is a healthy thing, vanity or not

WavyGirl
November 5th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Being raised a Catholic I always thought vanity was a bad thing. As I understand it it's when you put any aspect of your appearance above serving the Lord and loving your neighbour. Withing that framework I think I am a little vain. After all, I devote time to my hair that I could spend doing some sort of charitable work or praying. However, as many have said, we all need balance in our lives and hair care and general health for me has become like a hobby. I would be a complete wreck if I spent all of my time worrying about others and not about me. Anyway, I quite often stop whatever I'm doing with my hair and go help who ever needs me. Not fun when the vet turns up to give the dogs jabs and you're halfway through detangling after a shower. So vain? Yes a little, but I feel at peace with it. I guess if I wanted to stamp it out entirely I'd chop the lot off and be a nun or something. :)

truepeacenik
November 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
not vain. iconoclastic.
I don't even flippin' shave.
and I wear skirts and tank tops. neaner neaner neaener

Starr
November 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I don't call it vanity. . . I call it a personal indulgence.:D

But seriously, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a pride in or have a preference in your own appearance.

Mishka_84
November 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM
According to Wikepedia:

vanity is the excessive belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others

There are things about myself that I'd have to say I'm vain about. I'm not a narcissist. I don't think having a little vanity is a bad thing. So long as we don't let ourselves get too carried away! ;)

Bianca
November 5th, 2008, 03:37 AM
we all need our hobbies!

Lol, boob-people.

I dont think i'm vain either. I just have a dream, and that's to have long beautiful hair. I've wanted it for years, but everytime it gets a little long I want something new and cut it. This time I think I'll get there, cause now I have this site and you nice people to help me put down the scissors :p

Even if some would call it vain, I dont think it's a bad thing to care a little about one's looks. As long as it's not ALL one care about :cheese:

Phalaenopsis
November 5th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Even if some would call it vain, I dont think it's a bad thing to care a little about one's looks. As long as it's not ALL one care about :cheese:

I feel the same way. :agree:
And it's also a bit of a hobby of mine to fiddle with my hair :)

Gecko
November 5th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I don't think I'm that vain concerning my hair.... just obsessed. But I am rather vain at times....

rymorg2
November 5th, 2008, 05:54 AM
If I'm vain I get paid to be vain about my hair, since I'm a stylist. LOL!

Seriously though, I've always cared for my hair. Not so much my skin all the time, but ALWAYS my hair. I guess it's my favorite feature on me. Which is saying something, since there are times I HATE my hair. LOL! I feel most vain at work with all those mirrors when I'm staring at myself. But it's always been a hobby of mine, which is how I've looked at it my whole life. I mean, from when I was 6 and had hair that was classic length, to now. I guess that's part of why I went into the business.

Feng-Shui
November 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The time which I on my hair spend is importantly.
I spend time with me and for me.

It gives me energy back which I needs around other humans to help to be able.

Each humans need a reconciliation.

My reconciliation is good me to care around my body.

My hair is a good yardstick.

To my body or my Psych is not well, my hair does not look good.

Feng-Shui :flower:

Tap Dancer
November 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm pretty vain. LOL :p

SHELIAANN1969
November 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I am not vain about "looks" per se, but if my hair looks great and feels great, I feel great and sexy to boot! :D

Siava
November 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm vain. :)

Jorja
November 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM
No, we're not vain! We just have waaaay nicer hair non LHC people :cool::p

MAO
November 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I just look at it as another way to improve upon myself. That, and I have NEVER been satisfied with my hair. Hair color always fades too fast.....curly horns ruining every hairstyle I try.....I found after my first henna that it tames my horns somewhat! Hurray!!

LutraLutra
November 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
For me I think some of it's vanity, but some of it's personal reasons for wanting to care for and enjoy my hair, and there's certainly a hobby aspect too - we're hair geeks :D But feeling good about yourself isn't vain, it's a really powerful thing. This is a really, really interesting thread.

rhubarbarin
November 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I spend a lot less money on my hair, even though my conditioners and hair gel cost $8-10 a bottle, than most people I know who spend money every month to get their hair cut, styled, processed, not to mention that most of them use products that aren't as good for their hair, but just as expensive..

I don't feel that I am that vain. I like my appearence (and my hair) and try to appear my best, but honestly most days I spend about 2 minutes on it (not counting washing my face)

Gothic Lolita
November 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe it's vain, but since it's only hair, I can live with it. I don't spend much money on clothes (means I don't run every week into town to buy the latest trends), so taking care of my hair is my piece of making me pretty.

Don't get me wrong, I like pretty clothes, I just consider it money-wasting to always buy new things, just because there's something new.

Amara
November 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Teehee - that's what I'm aiming for too!

No, we're not vain at all... :D

Silver Strands
November 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
hair is something I control whereas there are other things I can't necessarily change, and it's actually (this will sound cheesy) added joy to my life during times that otherwise would have been bleaker. So I vote hobby. =)

I agree with this 100%.

Silver Strands
November 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM

:laugh:
Thank-You! I haven't laughed that hard in a looong time!

rymorg2
November 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
So I asked dh if I was hair-vain, he says "Not really.....OBSESSED, maybe, but not vain."

Vitalai
November 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I think to have some pride and love for our hair is healthy, so long as it doesn't border onto conceit.

anniefish
November 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I spend a lot less money on my hair when it's longer than when it's short.

susiemw
November 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM

ROTFLMAO!!

good one!

Susan

Bene
November 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
spent some time thinking about this.

there's a big difference between pride and vanity.

i'm certainly proud of my hair's health, and that i don't have to go through the same crap my friends go through to get their hair meeting up to impossible standards.

i'm proud that i've learned to work WITH my hair, and it's natural tendencies, rather than against it. i pamper my hair, and treat it to pretty hair toys, because i feel my hair deserves it.

i don't think my hair is any better than anyone else's, i mean i see hair that's better than mine all the time, but i take comfort in knowing that i didn't have to spend serious time and money at a salon, and on products.

i see myself as taking pride in my accomplishments. i have other things in my world that i've taken time to perfect to the point where it comes with ease. i see my hair length and health as similar to that.

so, no. i don't think me or other ppl (unless they profess it themselves) on this site as being vain. i see it as pride. and not excessive pride at that. just pride in knowing that they do their thing, but they do it well.

Friesiangirl
November 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
No, we just love ourselves. That is something to be proud of!

Hayley

Jessikinz
November 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
If its making us feel good and happy, its not vain at all. Its good to do such things to ourselves, its more like a treat.

Xi
November 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
... I see many beautiful healthy heads of hair and I share their delight and triumph...

Exactly! I think vanity is only poisonous if it means comparison ("my hair is better than her hair"); but I think this community is about celebrating the beauty of all hair (particularly the long variety, of course). When I see a picture of beautiful extremely long hair (that I will never have) or beautiful intricate updos (that my fingers could never accomplish), I feel happy and uplifted that there is such beauty in the world. And on the odd occasion when I catch my hair looking nice, I admire it, too. There's no sin in making something look as beautiful as it can be -- that's art. We're hair artists! :lol:

Marchpane
November 6th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Exactly! I think vanity is only poisonous if it means comparison ("my hair is better than her hair"); but I think this community is about celebrating the beauty of all hair (particularly the long variety, of course). When I see a picture of beautiful extremely long hair (that I will never have) or beautiful intricate updos (that my fingers could never accomplish), I feel happy and uplifted that there is such beauty in the world. And on the odd occasion when I catch my hair looking nice, I admire it, too. There's no sin in making something look as beautiful as it can be -- that's art. We're hair artists! :lol:

Beautifully said! That's how I feel too, I think. ^^ It's hard to nail down the line between loving beauty and vanity, but I think you really explained it well.

Thanks everyone for such thoughtful answers... heehee gotta love a good philosophical discussion. About hair. XDD

LisaJaney
November 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM
To spend all this time and effort and money, just so our hair looks good? I'm not trying to be rude lol, I'm honestly wondering. I find it really fun to try all this stuff with my hair and try to get it as nice and healthy as possible... that's not vain is it? Lol I worry. XD

What human isn't, just a little? :eyebrows: Everybody's got a hobby/interest, why not this for us? But ours changes and gives us milestones to reach. That's kinda cool!

OK, it's not cool if you're a product-ho (you KNOW who you are! :twisted: ) because that just takes up a lot of room in the bathroom and into the hall and down the stairs, but other than THAT, it's cool!

florenonite
November 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM
What human isn't, just a little? :eyebrows: Everybody's got a hobby/interest, why not this for us? But ours changes and gives us milestones to reach. That's kinda cool!

OK, it's not cool if you're a product-ho (you KNOW who you are! :twisted: ) because that just takes up a lot of room in the bathroom and into the hall and down the stairs, but other than THAT, it's cool!

Hehe, my flatmates wonder why I've got three shampoos and two conditioners in the bathroom ... but then some of them use a 2-1 poo-and-condish, so the number of bottles evens out :p

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf/bbs/images/smilies/hiya.gifI'm a hair geek. AND a little vain :o

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 11:41 PM
http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf/bbs/images/smilies/hiya.gifI'm a hair geek. AND a little vain :o

I am addictid to mirris and constantly check my hair whne it is down. I guess I qualify?:cheese:

rubyredslippers
November 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I guess I am a bit vain about my hair . . . It's not something that I could give up as easily as, say, makeup, and I do feel that it is my most attractive feature. So if admitting something about yourself is pretty, and being unwilling to give that something up is considered vanity, then I guess I'm vain. But as vanities go, I think it's a pretty minor one. I'm not hurting anyone by spending a little extra time learning new updos, or anything.

sneakybea
November 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I think I'm a little vain about my hair because I like to draw attention to it and hate the thought of cutting it off. But I also think of it as a form of entertainment that I don't have to pay for! When you were kids, did you ever sit in a line, one behind each other, and french braid each other's hair? Did you ever go to slumber parties and play with each other's hair? To me back then, long hair was less about looks than it was about creativity and bonding, and I kind of still feel that way.
Of course, I care a lot more what I use on it now.

MotherConfessor
November 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Fiddlesticks. Vanity has nothing to do with taking pride in your appearance, taking care of your body or loving yourself. Vanity is the belief that being attractive makes you better than the people you think are less attractive than you.

I get very frustrated when I see women and girls worried about appearing vain just because they like themselves. There is nothing wrong with self love, we are all great and I think the world would be much less vain in general if we could all just say "My girlfriends are beautiful, my guy friends are handsome, my mother is stunning, the sky is amazing and I am beautiful!"

.... Twanda!!!!!!!!!! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

ajr
November 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Oh I'll admit it I'm vain. I don't understand why that's seen as a bad thing? I'd much rather look in the mirror and think damn I look good today, then fixate on if my hair is frizzy or the bags under my eyes. Of course if you think that your better then the next person because you have a great hair then yeah you're a moron. But for the most part I think vanity can be a good thing. It's much better, imo, than low self esteem.

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Nah...I feel that way sometimes, but there is nothing wrong with caring about the way you look! If all you care about *is* the way you look, and you constantly think you're better than others, then I'd say you're vain. Otherwise no...

ladyfairington
November 13th, 2008, 07:23 PM
i think i am hair vain.

like, when i see another girl with "pretty hair", i think about how she damaged it with a straightening iron and layered all that hair product into it, etc etc etc.

especially "scene kids".

all that teasing and back combing and hot pink hair dye and hairspray.

it gives me shivers to think about what they're doing with their hair and makes me feel good.

not feel good because their hair is being tortured ( that's sad ), but feel good to know that i don't do that to my hair since i took a pledge to treat my hair better.

it's my braid-est friend. <3!

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Ah, scene kids...I do admit that I like some of the styles, but yes, the hair must go through a lot. I can't stand this ultra-stick-flat-limp-hair trend! Naturally straight, or straightened hair is fine and beautiful, but some people think that it's unacceptable to have anything but!

krt1013
November 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Sometimes my BF wonders if all I ever think about is my hair... and sometimes I wonder if he is right, lol.

I think I am a little vain about my hair... I guard it fiercely and think that it is the biggest factor in determining my outer beauty.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Eh, everyone's vain. :p If not, we'd all walk around in undyed but also unbleached clothing without decoration on it, no jewelry (I don't wear a lot of that anyway) and no makeup (some here never wear that anyway). Everybody's a little bit vain. Don't worry. You can have a little self-love and still be an awesome person. :D

Garnetgem
January 23rd, 2016, 03:20 AM
Nope i mean how can caring for our flowing locks be vain,if we want long hair then we must take great care of it after all it takes a few years to achieve our length then we are not going to neglect it after waiting now are we...

some think we are but i doubt the ones who think that have got long hair so what do they know about it,i don't see myself or any other long haired person vain,when i see someone with healthy hair i am thinking there goes a person who takes great care of their hair! :)

Jadestorm
January 23rd, 2016, 03:32 AM
In my opinion it's just taking care of yourself and that's a good thing.

restless
January 23rd, 2016, 04:00 AM
This is a really interesting topic and I loved reading all the replies. Im not sure Ive ever thought about it as actual vanity. I mean, when I do deep treatments and such, I dont really do it while thinking it´ll look gorgeous afterward, its just another way of being kind to myself and taking care of me and my body. I do take pride of the fact that all these years of dedication has resulted in soft and healthy hair and my hairtoy collection is rather awesome (;)), but... vain? Idunno. Good question.

I dont think hair-people are more vain than nail-people or clothes-people. lol or even boob-people for that matter.

lol well spoken! :D

Mimha
January 23rd, 2016, 04:48 AM
I would like to say something about vanity, because apparently most of the people mix it with self esteem. Nothing is more erroneous ! Let me make my point :

The origin of the word "vain" means "empty", or "pointless", or "useless", or "for nothing" kind of thing. It means that vanity is the fact of caring and giving value to empty things. To care for appearances (= what you HAVE and show) instead of true values (= what you ARE in terms of inner virtues). Vain people put a lot of importance in their appearance and belongings, and work hard to build up their image because most of the time they lack self-confidence as well as self esteem. They look proud and self confident, but in fact they are not. They act with arrogance and contempt, and judge the quality of the others on their look and belongings. So they create a character of themselves, to personify a better self in front of the others - based on look and belongings - to hide their supposed weak points. Their aim is to PRETEND. They don't work at improving themselves : they work at hiding and at "make-the-others-believe". This is vanity.

Don't get me wrong : we all do this, to a certain point ! Some sort of facade is necessary in society. But if this facade is so important that you can't walk out without make-up, extensions, handsome boyfriend, big car or whatever, or if you start judging the people's value from their hair length (compared to yours^^), you should start worrying about your true self-esteem.

So to come to the point, enjoying your hair, being proud of it, spending hours of crazy care, feel beautiful in front of your mirror or thrilling the admiration of the passers-by when you have a nice hair day, all this is not vanity as long as you don't believe that this makes you a valuable person inside. I personally love my long hair, and I feel happy and beautiful with it. (On a meanest side, I also enjoy the bitter look of some envious people in my neighborhood, who spend a lot of time spying one another to see who is doing what. :p) But I know that if one day I have to say good by to my beloved hair because I have a life-threatening disease or whatever, I will not feel I have lost any of my true values. Hair is just... hair. I don't judge the value of the people to the length/shine/color of their hair. If they judge me for that, they are not worth being my friends anyway, so all the better and good riddance.

I read somewhere in this forum a person saying that she hoped to "accomplish herself" through growing hair. I felt sad that someone could mix up her true value as a human being with some inches of keratin. Self esteem can certainly be boosted by the fact of feeling beautiful thanks to nice hair, but it should not be based on this ! This would definitely be vanity (= emptiness).

missblueeyes
January 23rd, 2016, 05:00 AM
Yes I am and I honestly don't give a f*** if people think that's a bad thing. ;) Confidence is the key.

embee
January 23rd, 2016, 06:48 AM
I feel some vanity/pride about my hair now, because I wanted long hair for *so many years* and finally have it. My hair is not "pretty hair" in my eyes, it's just long hair. However, my care routine and my updo styles do not indicate vanity or obsession or even much time invested - except for the growing time.

For many of us, long hair seems more like playing, showing off the fun styles we can make, showing them to people who will be interested and appreciative. We have challenges and failures and successes, and this is harmless fun. A harmless hobby, perhaps. When we were little, perhaps it was dressing barbie doll hair?

That is not taking into account the expensive hair toy problems some of us run into... ;) But if it were not hair toys it would be some other fool thing.... sweaters or earrings or fancy socks. :)))

bunneh.
January 23rd, 2016, 07:20 AM
There's so much on the internet about accepting all sorts of people, no matter which religion they belong to, their sexuality or eating habits or where they live or what they do. People accept (or try to accept) all sorts of people, but ironically we still don't accept their characters. When someone is mean either in real life or online or poorly informed about things or snobby or vain or whatever, we just think that they're "bad" or "worse" people that should change and be kinder. We never just go "oh shoot, well that's the way s/he is" and most definitely we never go "I don't like him/her too much I'll just avoid her and potential conflicts" we rather feel the need to expose the obvious that they're mean and hurt other people and what not. Nothing can hurt you if you don't let yourself be hurt. There are things like bullying and threatening and what not which are terrible and have to stop I agree, but if someone tells you the shirt you're wearing looks horrible you can just ignore them or say you like it and don't care about their opinion. Or do people really get that offended by everything, that it leaves them depressed and crying for days?

People have different interests, we like our hair, hair is our hobby we take of the hair because it's our passion. You won't get killed if you look in the mirror and say you look good, on the contrary that is a good thing (just don't fall in love with yourself). Whether or not I personally would get called vain I don't really care. Actually I might even be delighted that people took their time to look at me, evaluate me, get to know me and share their unimportant opinion with me because it proves I have an impact on people that have a bit too much time on their hands.

missrandie
January 23rd, 2016, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't say I'm vain, but I would say that I have more pride in my hair and looks when I am well maintained, which translates to confidence for me.

Its no different than having a clean home or tidy yard or washed/polished vehicle or anything else, in my opinion.

Also, I don't find it vain to want to reflect my inner personality in my outward appearance.

pamrlyn
January 23rd, 2016, 08:49 AM
Copied & pasted definition of Vain

vain
adjective
1. having or showing an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth.
"their flattery made him vain"
synonyms: conceited, narcissistic, self-loving, in love with oneself, self-admiring, self-regarding, self-obsessed, egocentric, egotistic, egotistical;..

IMHO
The key word here is excessive. Caring about your appearance & yourself are good things. But when carried to an extreme level the same becomes vanity. Just about anything carried to an extreme turns negative.

chen bao jun
January 23rd, 2016, 10:27 AM
Mimha gave a good definition of vanity.

But there's more.The feeling that one should not be vain because it is a wrong thing to do (sin) is, I think, more associated with the Judaeo-Christian tradition than any other faith tradition and actually much more important in Christianity (so it became important in our culture back in the days when Christianity was the majority religion and dominant mode of thinking--which it isn't anymore. That is, its still the majority religion but it's not the dominant mode of thinking, at least, Christian values certainly no longer dominate popular culture at all, people nowadays mostly don't even what they actually ARE and when they do, they reject them.)

In traditional Christianity being 'vain' about something would not completely mean the thing that the person was 'vain' about was something 'empty' (thinking that things are 'empty' while it exists in Christianity (Biblical book of Ecclesiastes for instance), would actually be much more an aspect of a religion like Buddhism, which believes that what people think is important in life is all 'illusion' and empty because of that). What the Christian would mean was that the person was not giving the proper glory to God. (Humility).

As this relates to hair, it would be someone thinking, 'I am so great, I am superior to others in some way because I have all this wonderful hair and I grew it all by myself and it is so important and I am so important.' It would be a reason for 'pride' (self-esteem run wild as you think mostly about yourself and not enough about other people, and more importantly not enough about God.)

A non-vain person would not necessarily NOT be taking care of their hair or never thinking about it(God's creation and God's gift to them) but would have things in a 'proper' perpective (according to Christianity), and give God the glory for it and be thankful and (this would be the most important) not be putting it above God in importance to them. If others admired their hair or got pleasure from looking at it, they would be happy not because it was about them, but about God (who ultimately created them and decided to give them this particular gift/blessing of hair to an unusual extent--and can of course also decide to NOT let them have anymore at some point, as anyone who has experienced thinning or balding, which is not in OUR control, can attest).

Christians would not only think about such things in relation to physical qualities such as hair, or beauty or strength, but also in terms of things such as their money or wealth, or their intellectual gifts and talents.

Thus, for instance, you get someone extremely gifted in music, such as J.S. Bach the composer, who obviously worked hard studying music and worked hard composing (and did astonishing things, most people who know music would agree, more than any other European composer of music)--but who wrote on every single one of his compositions 'for the greater glory of God'. Its the same mode of thinking. He was very well aware that he had an extremely great talent (false modesty is not required in traditional Christianity)--but the point was the glory of God, not his personal glory.

But the point even more is that that would apply to EVERYTHING in life in an all inclusive way, so that not falling into 'vanity' would mean that you gave as much glory to God for your beautiful hair as you would give Him if He had made YOU capable of writing The Art of the Fugue or the Mass in B minor.

This mode of thinking is somewhat complicated by the fact that in traditional Christianity some believers would sometimes sacrifice something to God, not because it was BAD but because it was GOOD, to show how much they honored God. Thus you get nuns, for instance, cutting off their hair when they become nuns. This is not because it is bad or wicked to have hair, or somehow a sin (and because the Christian God likes to have people give up everything beautiful or fun, as many seem to think nowadays). It is precisely because a woman's hair is good and can be so beautiful that she could CHOOSE to give it up to God. She would not be 'not vain' BECAUSE she cut it off, or 'better' than other people because she did this.

It would be a worthy sacrifice because she would be giving up a good for what she believed was a greater good. (Just as nuns and monks make a vow of celibacy NOT because sex is something bad, but because it is a great gift of God, within marriage and because they are 'sacrificing' in being unmarried and celibate, sacrificing something wonderful. Its not a sacrifice, after all, to give up something 'bad'.)

So enjoying and taking care of your long hair would not be automatically 'vain' at all, and 'vanity' (as in 'personal vanity' --the word does also have the meaning of something 'empty' as Mimha said) is a complex thing--two people could have similar beautiful hair and be taking essentially the same care of it and one of them could be 'vain' and the other one could be 'not vain.'

Just wanted to explain that there is a lot of context involved and it comes ultimately out of this part of Western culture, because its no longer very well understood and the thinking behind it is REALLY not understood anymore, mostly. So people tend nowadays to throw around words like 'vain' just as general insults and to tell the truth, very often with the thought behind it nowadays is the one that on LHC so many know so well (through bad experiences) that "How dare you have long hair when other people can't grow hair like yours."

That is, the fact that you have beautiful long hair automatically means that you are 'vain' and also obviously 'selfish'--and if you were a 'good person' or a 'moral person' (in contemporary terms, which as I said are very different from traditional Christian-influenced terms), you would not only cut it off, but donate to Locks of Love or some similar organization. God doesn't exist and the 'glory of God' is a completely meaningless phrase in our current culture (if you've even ever heard it) and its all about things like, everybody being equal and nobody having things that others don't have and nobody having to feel bad because someone else is 'gifted' with something they CAN'T have whether because they didn't do the same work, or just didn't naturally get it--that is, from nature or genetics (since we don't put God into it as creator anymore in the wider culture and its even considered offensive to bring up a mention of this belief in a lot of circles, if you are old-fashioned enough to still have it).

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 10:48 AM
I don't think so. To me, my hair is a sort of hobby, as in I spend a lot of time caring for it. Perhaps I'm a little vain because I like how it makes me look, but as others said, it's not excessive. I like to think of my hair as an extension of myself that I have to love and treasure just like any other part of me.

parkmikii
January 23rd, 2016, 11:03 AM
Maybe I am a little bit..I mean, I did cringe a lot when I bought my 2 ficcare hair clips, but hey, they're green and I wanted them for a long time and I use them almost everyday. Man, I did feel quite guilty though XD
As for hair in general, I consider it a hobby since I really enjoy taking care of it :)

Dessi
January 23rd, 2016, 11:14 AM

But there's more.The feeling that one should not be vain because it is a wrong thing to do (sin) is, I think, more associated with the Judaeo-Christian tradition than any other faith tradition and actually much more important in Christianity (so it became important in our culture back in the days when Christianity was the majority religion and dominant mode of thinking--which it isn't anymore. That is, its still the majority religion but it's not the dominant mode of thinking, at least, Christian values certainly no longer dominate popular culture at all, people nowadays mostly don't even what they actually ARE and when they do, they reject them.)

In traditional Christianity being 'vain' about something would not completely mean the thing that the person was 'vain' about was something 'empty' (thinking that things are 'empty' while it exists in Christianity (Biblical book of Ecclesiastes for instance), would actually be much more an aspect of a religion like Buddhism, which believes that what people think is important in life is all 'illusion' and empty because of that). What the Christian would mean was that the person was not giving the proper glory to God. (Humility).

As this relates to hair, it would be someone thinking, 'I am so great, I am superior to others in some way because I have all this wonderful hair and I grew it all by myself and it is so important and I am so important.' It would be a reason for 'pride' (self-esteem run wild as you think mostly about yourself and not enough about other people, and more importantly not enough about God.)

A non-vain person would not necessarily NOT be taking care of their hair or never thinking about it(God's creation and God's gift to them) but would have things in a 'proper' perpective (according to Christianity), and give God the glory for it and be thankful and (this would be the most important) not be putting it above God in importance to them. If others admired their hair or got pleasure from looking at it, they would be happy not because it was about them, but about God (who ultimately created them and decided to give them this particular gift/blessing of hair to an unusual extent--and can of course also decide to NOT let them have anymore at some point, as anyone who has experienced thinning or balding, which is not in OUR control, can attest).

Christians would not only think about such things in relation to physical qualities such as hair, or beauty or strength, but also in terms of things such as their money or wealth, or their intellectual gifts and talents.

Thus, for instance, you get someone extremely gifted in music, such as J.S. Bach the composer, who obviously worked hard studying music and worked hard composing (and did astonishing things, most people who know music would agree, more than any other European composer of music)--but who wrote on every single one of his compositions 'for the greater glory of God'. Its the same mode of thinking. He was very well aware that he had an extremely great talent (false modesty is not required in traditional Christianity)--but the point was the glory of God, not his personal glory.

But the point even more is that that would apply to EVERYTHING in life in an all inclusive way, so that not falling into 'vanity' would mean that you gave as much glory to God for your beautiful hair as you would give Him if He had made YOU capable of writing The Art of the Fugue or the Mass in B minor.

This mode of thinking is somewhat complicated by the fact that in traditional Christianity some believers would sometimes sacrifice something to God, not because it was BAD but because it was GOOD, to show how much they honored God. Thus you get nuns, for instance, cutting off their hair when they become nuns. This is not because it is bad or wicked to have hair, or somehow a sin (and because the Christian God likes to have people give up everything beautiful or fun, as many seem to think nowadays). It is precisely because a woman's hair is good and can be so beautiful that she could CHOOSE to give it up to God. She would not be 'not vain' BECAUSE she cut it off, or 'better' than other people because she did this.

It would be a worthy sacrifice because she would be giving up a good for what she believed was a greater good. (Just as nuns and monks make a vow of celibacy NOT because sex is something bad, but because it is a great gift of God, within marriage and because they are 'sacrificing' in being unmarried and celibate, sacrificing something wonderful. Its not a sacrifice, after all, to give up something 'bad'.)

So enjoying and taking care of your long hair would not be automatically 'vain' at all, and 'vanity' (as in 'personal vanity' --the word does also have the meaning of something 'empty' as Mimha said) is a complex thing--two people could have similar beautiful hair and be taking essentially the same care of it and one of them could be 'vain' and the other one could be 'not vain.'

Just wanted to explain that there is a lot of context involved and it comes ultimately out of this part of Western culture, because its no longer very well understood and the thinking behind it is REALLY not understood anymore, mostly. So people tend nowadays to throw around words like 'vain' just as general insults and to tell the truth, very often with the thought behind it nowadays is the one that on LHC so many know so well (through bad experiences) that "How dare you have long hair when other people can't grow hair like yours."

That is, the fact that you have beautiful long hair automatically means that you are 'vain' and also obviously 'selfish'--and if you were a 'good person' or a 'moral person' (in contemporary terms, which as I said are very different from traditional Christian-influenced terms), you would not only cut it off, but donate to Locks of Love or some similar organization. God doesn't exist and the 'glory of God' is a completely meaningless phrase in our current culture (if you've even ever heard it) and its all about things like, everybody being equal and nobody having things that others don't have and nobody having to feel bad because someone else is 'gifted' with something they CAN'T have whether because they didn't do the same work, or just didn't naturally get it--that is, from nature or genetics (since we don't put God into it as creator anymore in the wider culture and its even considered offensive to bring up a mention of this belief in a lot of circles, if you are old-fashioned enough to still have it).

That was very well said and I absolutely agree with what you said. It was a pleasure reading it. Thank you. :flower:

Mimha
January 23rd, 2016, 11:39 AM
(...) 'vanity' is a complex thing--two people could have similar beautiful hair and be taking essentially the same care of it and one of them could be 'vain' and the other one could be 'not vain. (...)

Totally agree with this, chen ! And I appreciate your deep analysis of the judeo christian aspect of vanity, which I had let aside.

The aspect of "how can you keep your hair so long when others don't have the same to enjoy" is a good example of how a self enjoyable thing can be turned into something society pushes us to feel guilty about. If I have nice hair which gives me happiness, and I care for it myself year after year, I deprive nobody of anything. My hair grows from my own scalp. It's a body part of mine. I have not stolen it from anybody. I don't grow it to make the others feel bad. If they do, it's their own problem to solve. The world is full of people who have things we know we cannot have. For example people have children. I don't. (I could not have any). Should I tell the people who have several kids that they should be ashamed to have so many children when others can't have any and give me some ? Lol. No ! I had to learn to be happy of my own situation and make the best of what I have.

missrandie
January 23rd, 2016, 11:56 AM

Beautifully stated.

EdG
January 23rd, 2016, 11:57 AM
I think we are being human.

Humans like long hair so much that we bred it into ourselves. We are just doing what our ancestors did. :)
Ed

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 12:28 PM
I think we are being human.

Humans like long hair so much that we bred it into ourselves. We are just doing what our ancestors did. :)
Ed

Amen! :agree:

EdG
January 23rd, 2016, 12:32 PM
Amen! :agree:My follow-on joke is that humans like long hair so much that we also bred it into man's best friend.

I used to have a shih-tzu with floor-length hair (about 5 inches). :lol:
Ed

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
My follow-on joke is that humans like long hair so much that we also bred it into man's best friend.

I used to have a shih-tzu with floor-length hair (about 5 inches). :lol:
Ed

Hahaha! My dog grows hair like crazy too :laugh: I accept your theory! :hifive:

languagenut
January 23rd, 2016, 12:42 PM
I don't know that I'd describe myself as "vain" of my hair or my looks. I'm just content with my appearance, and I like to see it. I look in the mirror and smile at myself, and some may think me vain for doing that, but really, it's just that I see myself and I like how the person in the mirror looks and am glad that the person is me. So I smile, and smiles beautify everyone, so I'm even happier about how I look. I couldn't care less what other people think of my appearance, only what I think of it. And usually I think quite well of it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

DeadlyUnicorn
January 23rd, 2016, 01:30 PM
Maybe I am a little bit..I mean, I did cringe a lot when I bought my 2 ficcare hair clips, but hey, they're green and I wanted them for a long time and I use them almost everyday. Man, I did feel quite guilty though XD
As for hair in general, I consider it a hobby since I really enjoy taking care of it :)

Well hey, that's not really any different than a short haired person spending big bucks on heat styling tools now is it? :p Some of them run 200$ and only do one thing! :bigeyes:
(Not saying long haired people can't also spend 200$ on a heat styling tool, or that it's even a bad thing to do.. But $40-$60 hair clips are like nothing compared to that lol)

Also, I feel quite vain at times. But someone posted the definition.. And I can't honestly say if I'd consider it 'excessive'... Hmm... Maybe I'm slightly vain, but it's not all about my hair. :p

mermaid lullaby
January 23rd, 2016, 03:11 PM
I like the Christian statement above. Pretty much sums up how I think of myself and beliefs.

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 03:19 PM
Well, I do care about my body and I try to make myself look pretty. I don't think I'm vain.

I think taking care of yourself doesn't make you vain, either. Vain implies having a very high opinion of yourself, which I personally don't but I still want to take care of my body, and hair is an extension of that... you only get one body, after all :)

Lauraes
January 23rd, 2016, 03:19 PM
I don't think it's vain. I spend a lot of less time and money on my hair than a lot of people.

lapis_lazuli
January 23rd, 2016, 04:01 PM
I don't think it's vain. I spend a lot of less time and money on my hair than a lot of people.

That's also true. With the upkeep of short hair, blowfrying, and chemical dyes, I'd say we're much less vain in contrast :p

Ashflower89
January 24th, 2016, 03:10 PM
I don't feel vain taking care of my hair, but I do spending so much time on this forum. It all feels sort of obsessive and annoying, so I don't hang out on here much anymore. Just upload my monthly length pics and leave it be.

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 03:13 PM
I don't feel vain taking care of my hair, but I do spending so much time on this forum. It all feels sort of obsessive and annoying, so I don't hang out on here much anymore. Just upload my monthly length pics and leave it be.

Feeling a lot like this right now. But there's nothing interesting going on in my life so I just hang out here. Hopefully things will turn soon and I'll become less obsessive about it. Monthly length pics sound like a good idea :)

Lady Menelwen
January 25th, 2016, 02:26 PM
It's self-care...for me at least.

I'm always in pain or my brain is trying to ruin me with it's ailments and demons, and I have pretty low self-esteem about my physical appearance anyways, so my hair is truly my only pride and joy.

To care for my hair is to care for myself.

Is it really vain to love yourself? Such shallow thoughts if that is so.

luvlonghair75
January 25th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I care for my hair like I care for the rest of my body. I don't think what this forum represents is vain at all! Very informative and I've learned alot that's worked for me in my time being here, reading various posts! :)

irodaryne
January 25th, 2016, 05:39 PM
It's self-care...for me at least.

I'm always in pain or my brain is trying to ruin me with it's ailments and demons, and I have pretty low self-esteem about my physical appearance anyways, so my hair is truly my only pride and joy.

To care for my hair is to care for myself.

Is it really vain to love yourself? Such shallow thoughts if that is so.

I find that in modern western culture, loving one's self is seen as vain. I'm constantly told I'm conceited and vain when I get a compliment on my looks and say something along the lines of "thanks, I know!" or don't give of the impression that I'm somehow not happy with my looks. How dare I, a woman in western society, feel beautiful enough without makeup or seriously altering my appearance. That's the impression I get from people. It's not even that I'm not accepting compliments or that I'm being rude about it, I genuinely appreciate when people compliment me. It's just weird how my showing that I do love myself and my looks and I'm okay with that suddenly makes others uncomfortable.

And it's not like I'm saying I look better than anyone else, I don't believe that. Everyone's beautiful in their own way, I really do believe that.

llamacat
January 28th, 2016, 06:53 AM
I admit that I'm vain...
but, I think being vain is in someway a good thing.:cloud9:

seaweed_maenad
January 28th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I believe a little vanity is healthy. To create a vision of what you wish to be and work toward that is really a form of healthy self love. I have an old fashioned actual vanity from the 1910's with a baroque fancy mirror above it and that's where I do my daily hair care stuff and makeup. It's a lovely little self care ritual I look forward to everyday and it makes me feel confident and prepared to face the world. I also keep my hair potions and combs, etc there. So cheers to a healthy dose of self loving vanity girls. =)

bunniefaerie
January 28th, 2016, 05:48 PM
All human beings are vain. I actually recently had an argument with my boyfriend over this-- he thinks he's not vain because he doesn't often take selfies, and that I am vain for caring how my hair looks and stuff lol. Literally everyone is vain unless you genuinely wake up, roll out of bed and walk out the door. Even bothering to put on clothes that aren't pajamas is "vain". So yes of course it's vain to care about how pretty our hair looks in a world where there are infinitely more important things-- but importance is subjective to each person... If every day is a struggle for you just to survive then it would be massively vain to spend all your time on your hair. But for most of us, we have a privileged life and spending time on our hair isn't that big of a deal-- what else are we going to do with that time anyway? Probably something else we enjoy, not anything of more 'importance'. So might as well do this.

AmyBeth
January 29th, 2016, 01:23 AM
I feel that there is a distinction between vanity and pride. Vanity seems to me to be a sort of arrogance, and craving admiration from other people. Pride is more about just being satisfied with myself, apart from worrying about what others may think. I surely don't worry too much about how other people feel about my hair, because if I did, I know it would probably look better, by conventional standards, if I wore it down and washed it more often than once a week!:p I spend no more than 10 minutes a day detangling and putting it up, and really don't spend much money on it. I'm pretty happy with my hair, but I certainly don't think any better of myself because I like my hair, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to think well of me because of my hair.:)

spirals
January 29th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Copied & pasted definition of Vain

vain
adjective
1. having or showing an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth.
"their flattery made him vain"
synonyms: conceited, narcissistic, self-loving, in love with oneself, self-admiring, self-regarding, self-obsessed, egocentric, egotistic, egotistical;..

IMHO
The key word here is excessive. Caring about your appearance & yourself are good things. But when carried to an extreme level the same becomes vanity. Just about anything carried to an extreme turns negative.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I've been called vain but I have to discount it because that person later admitted she said it out of jealousy. I still don't know what she has to be jealous of. I'm the same distance from perfect as she is.

stelz
January 29th, 2016, 03:45 AM
The dictionary definition of "vanity" is "excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements."
Speaking for myself, I'm no Marilyn Monroe. I NEED my long hair and makeup, lol!
So it doesn't really fit the definition of "vain".

fiğrildi
January 29th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm vain on a certain level. But growing long hair, looking after it, buying hair toys and making nice updos... that I do it entirely for myself. It feels nice when I receive a compliment, but when I look after myself I'm not seeking admiration from others. So it's mostly a matter of self-love rather than showing off. Nothing wrong about being vain, anyway :wink: