PDA

View Full Version : Found something to Never do again!

Mishka_84
November 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Of course I know wearing hair up can prevent alot of damage, like wind damage. And obviously, riding in a convertible with the top down causes alot of wind. So why didn't I put these two facts together? :)

It took me an hour to get all the tangles out, and I'm still cringing from the amount of damage I know happened. Wondering, how many hair broke while I was trying to get the tangles out?

So, two questions:
What is a good updo that can withstand alot of wind?
And how do you get alot of tangles out without alot of damage?

Amara
November 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
If I just do an updo, no matter what kind, in extreme wind all the little shorter hairs will come free and tangle.

So, the solution for me is to go glam like old movie stars - big ol' sunglasses and a scarf. The scarf will keep your hair nicely in place.

Dvips
November 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I agree that the best protection from wind is some sort of coverage - scarf or hat (or a Buff).

Mishka_84
November 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'd never thought of a cover up! Thanks, that's a great idea!

Indigosails
November 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I agree with the hat or scarf. They will protect it from the sun, too.

mommy101405
November 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think a scarf or hat would be the best way.

Back in April I was in the California dessert and the wind was the worst I think I have ever been in. I made the mistake of having my hair down one day and the knots were terrible. I got in the shower soaked it in conditioner and combed it out while in the shower. It helped because when I tried with it try I was doing nothing but tear the hair.

Magicknthenight
November 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
wow. Yea...Ive had that happen. Its been a long time since i rode in a convertible but a while back when i didn't wear my hair up..woo wee. It was horrible!! You could soak it in conditioner in the shower and finger comb them out. Then S&D to get any nasty breakage off.
You could always take something with you in your purse when you go out to put your hair up if needed. Or a nice hair tie on your wrist. Then you could at least braid it when needed. :)
good luck!

gdimoonbeam
November 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM
My mother and I were in an Amish area of Ohio and we came across some colorful bonnets. I could only imagine what was going through the minds of people as we rode down the street in my mother's Cabrio top down and Amish bonnets on!!!

Anje
November 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I'm another who will get tons of little hairs loose in windy conditions. But if you absolutely can't cover your head, I think multiple french braids starting near the front of the head should hold about as well as anything will. You'd want something that can hold all the short hairs where they are.

missmanytoes
November 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I start with wet or damp hair as that seems to help control the shorter hairs and then toss the hair into an infinity or chain bun. Those are my swimming buns and they hold against the wind quite well too. I suppose you could apply some AVG to help with the shorter hairs, but I don't have that need.

Mishka_84
November 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM
The multiple french braids might work as well. I do have alot of "baby" hairs, probably more than there should be because the excessive shedding I had a while back is finally growing back in.

I'm not sure what a chain bun is?

Bloodflower
November 5th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I was worried about my hair too when I got my convertible a year ago. What works best for me is a wide headband. The one I have has an elastic band on one side so it sits really tight. I would imagine a scarf to be too loose. The rest of my hair is up and contained anyway. This way my hair is protected from wind and my scalp from the sun. Sunglasses on and I'm ready to go.

Now I haven't driven my convertible with the top open since I got bangs a month ago and I guess this is going to be a different story ...

Mishka_84
November 5th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Now I haven't driven my convertible with the top open since I got bangs a month ago and I guess this is going to be a different story ...

Lol, yes, please warn me if you decide to do this in Hawaii... might not want to be on the road with you if you can't see! :D

The headband is a good idea, except I have a latex allergy and can't handle prolonged exposure to elastic (very fun when it comes time to shop for undies ;)). I might be able to tie a scarf really tight though.