PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! My hair is gummy and tangly

FallingDarkness
December 28th, 2018, 06:28 PM
So there's this section of my hair that is lighter than the rest. Idk why. it's just like 4 inches right on the left side of my face. Lately that section of hair has become gummy in texture and easily tangled. It's very unsightly and the problem is too high up for me to just wanna hack it off. Is there any fix for this? or at least an explanation? I would hate for my hair to be damaged beyond repair.

Thank you all.

If you need pics I'll be happy to oblige.

blackgothicdoll
December 28th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Could it be build up? What have you been doing with your hair lately?

akurah
December 28th, 2018, 06:31 PM
What is your hair's history? Virgin? Dyed? Etc

Servana
December 28th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Do you use heat on your hair? Do you bleach/dye it? Those are the usual explanations.

I would recommend doing some protein treatments. For now try doing one once a week until it gets better. And moisturise a lot after you do the treatments, because they can make your hair even more dry and tangly, but they help build your hair back up and get rid of the gummy texture.

MusicalSpoons
December 28th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Sun damage, maybe, perhaps from driving? I used to get much more of a tan on one side of my face when I used to drive a lot in summer :grin:

FallingDarkness
December 28th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Virgin hair. Might be because I've been in Florida for a while when I normally reside in Oregon. I was every 3 days just WC. Haven't been keeping up with deep conditions lately. It's been lighter there since summer so I probably have some mild sun damage. But it wasn't problematic before now.

FallingDarkness
December 28th, 2018, 06:52 PM
I do not use heat on it though. I had to use a blow dryer the other day but I used low heat and a heat protectant. I try to take good care of my hair :(

Corvana
December 28th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Gummy usually means you need more protein, so a protein mask or something should help?

FallingDarkness
December 28th, 2018, 07:08 PM
I've never used a protein mask - any recommendations?

Obsidian
December 28th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Gummy as in actually soft and stretchy or gummy like gunky and sticky?

FallingDarkness
December 28th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Uh maybe more of the soft and stretchy type of gummy.

Obsidian
December 28th, 2018, 08:25 PM
That is definitely the kind that needs protein then. Do you have a Sally's near by? The two step protein treatment by aphogee is a really good one.
Stretchy hair is usually a sign of severe damage like over bleaching. Did anything get spilled or applied to your hair by accident?

Reyn127
December 28th, 2018, 09:16 PM
I'd agree, sounds like a protein treatment might be the way to go. A lot of regular stores (like drugstore/ grocery/ etc.), sell single-use packets of hair treatments sometimes, so if there's no Sally's or whatever, you could try there. Something that says "protein" on the label/description should put you in the right direction. You should notice fairly immediately after the treatment if it has helped.

blackgothicdoll
December 28th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Yeah and in addition to what's mentioned above, you can get it from over-moisturizing. Maybe it's an area that you don't rinse out your conditioner from all of the way? Many conditioners are ok to leave in, but I think for other hair types they may not be, and if you use a super moisturizing conditioner than that could have happened over time.

Be very careful with the two-step treatment. It makes your hair hard before you rinse it out; do not touch your hair while it's hard like that or it can break in that state.

Jo Ann
December 28th, 2018, 09:38 PM
I would try a clarifying shampoo (Suave's Daily Clarifying Shampoo is a good one--and it's cheap!) followed by a DT first. If the problem is still there after you do this, then I would try a protein treatment. It does seem strange that you'd have a "gummy" hair problem just on one small section, though--sounds like something might have gotten spilled on it, maybe?

MusicalSpoons
December 29th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Gummy - in need of protein - bleaching is what made me think of sun damage, especially if one has been driving at the same times most days; the sun will be at a similar angle each time so the same bit of hair gets it. Or sitting in the same place in a sunny room at the same time each day? (I only say this again to explain my reasoning in case you discounted it too soon, not to be annoying!) If it's not that, though, it sounds very odd. Surely you'd notice if something had been spilled on it!

lapushka
December 29th, 2018, 10:26 AM
I would try a clarifying shampoo (Suave's Daily Clarifying Shampoo is a good one--and it's cheap!) followed by a DT first. If the problem is still there after you do this, then I would try a protein treatment. It does seem strange that you'd have a "gummy" hair problem just on one small section, though--sounds like something might have gotten spilled on it, maybe?

Seconding this. Sound advice. Clarify first then see what happens. I hope you didn't experiment with something, OP?

FallingDarkness
January 1st, 2019, 12:21 PM
Protein saved my hair!!! Thanks guys. <3

Cate36
January 1st, 2019, 03:31 PM

Great news! Thanks for the update!

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 04:29 PM

Awesome! :)

Vacurlylady
January 1st, 2019, 05:02 PM

I ❤️ A happy ending!

Corvana
January 1st, 2019, 05:16 PM

Oh good!! I'm glad there was a happy ending! Thanks for the update!