PDA

View Full Version : How to keep waves in long thick hair?

Faraniel
December 28th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I have kinda long (to my waist) hair and it is very heavy and thick. Which is nice BUT it never keeps any curls nor waves. Sometimes I braid my hair overnight to have waves the next day but the waves usually go flat very quickly. Do you have any tips apart from "cut it to make it lighter"? Thank you very much!

CopperButterfly
December 28th, 2018, 06:01 PM
I also have thick heavy hair that doesn't like to hold a curl. My recommendation of what I've found works best is to dampen the hair before braiding, and maybe run some gel through it before braiding, or putting in curlers. Then once you've arranged the waves or curls in the morning, add some hairspray. I don't know how to make it stay without some kind of holding product.

Good luck.

blackgothicdoll
December 28th, 2018, 06:14 PM
I second using gel or a styling cream (I hate gel) when you braid your hair overnight. Just make sure whatever product you use isn't harsh for your hair.

SwanFeathers
December 28th, 2018, 06:41 PM
I havent been able to keep my natural waves defined at longer lengths, but victorian style rag curls work great!

HopelssRomantic
December 29th, 2018, 09:32 AM
I have the same issue. I find that my hair will stay curly throughout the first day after washing, but get incredibly tangled with the gel products that help hold the shape. That makes it hard to not brush out. I HATE having tangled hair, even if it looks ok from the back, I can still feel the knots. Anyway, I will usually brush out my hair the night of day 1, spray with my water/oil refresher until it's wet again (more like a towel-dried wet, not completely saturated), and then let the curls reform over night. It never gives me the best outcome like washing and a vinegar-rinse, but it's better than wavy fluffy hair. HTH

lapushka
December 29th, 2018, 10:27 AM
How thick is it? Circumference of your ponytail?
What texture are you?

Very important questions. :)

cjk
December 29th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Take a cue from the wavy variation of curly girl.

Moisturize. Tons of conditioner to improve the health.

While wet, apply an extra firm gel cast. And support the waves, experiment with plopping or braiding or whatever. A popular and cheap option is the blue LA Looks gel, I buy mine at Dollar Tree.

Once dry, scrunch out the crunch. And the waves/curls will not only hold but look amazing. Once you find a workable routine, that is.

Faraniel
December 31st, 2018, 09:51 AM
How thick is it? Circumference of your ponytail?
What texture are you?

Very important questions. :)

I tried to measure it and I think it's 10,5 cm. The texture I would say medium, not fine and not very thick.