PDA

View Full Version : Rant about hairdressers

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 07:39 AM
So now that my little accident was a couple of months ago (or almost, next friday is 2 months) ive had time to get over the initial shock. Looking back there were so many signs that what she did to my hair was intentional. First, she cut way too much off *inches* more. This was no accident. I should have stopped her right there and not proceeded with the highlights. Second, she knew that I had always used conditioner only when I felt like it, otherwise I didnt need to. After the highlight foils were taken out and my hair was being washed she said “you’ll have to use conditioner now” and even though that might seem like a benign statement, the tone in which she used was not. She also knew that I didnt brush my hair, ive always finger combed. I havent brushed in 17 years and I dont even own a brush. She said something along the lines of “oh youll need a wet brush now” in that same tone. When the foils were on my head they were getting very warm, almost hot. She kept checking them saying oh its fine. She left the bleach on my head for an hour and a half. The whole time I questioned it but she reassured me it was fine. When all was blowdryed and styled it honestly did not look damaged. The reality set in a couple days later when I went to wash it for the first time myself. I texted her right away telling her my hair was badly damaged and what should I do. She proceeded to tell me my hair isnt damaged, that it takes a while for the ph to go back to normal, and that I could even do another round of highlights if I wanted to. The following week when I had my hair dyed back to brown, I didnt not go to her, I let a friends mom do it. Fast forward to a few weeks later, my friend (the one who did the highlights) told me my hair is fading (which it really isnt too bad) and that I need to go back to her so she can dye it brown again. I declined and told her im living with the fading and letting it grow back out. She didnt like that, became hostile and now I think we are no longer friends. This was a person I had trusted, who I thought was my friend, a person that went to my wedding and I to hers. If she did this to my hair, then who can I trust?

Oh and also, I had been going to this girl off and on for 11 year and never once did she do something so awful but then again my hair was never near hip length before

SwanFeathers
December 28th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Im confused. You've been going to the hairdresser for 11 years or this friend?

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Im confused. You've been going to the hairdresser for 11 years or this friend?

She was my hairdresser, my only hairdresser off and on for 11 years

lapushka
December 28th, 2018, 08:13 AM
She was my hairdresser, my only hairdresser off and on for 11 years

Yes but the "friend" you lost, whose mom dyed your hair brown, or the other hairdresser?

I'm confused now. :confused: LOL!

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Yes but the "friend" you lost, whose mom dyed your hair brown, or the other hairdresser?

I'm confused now. :confused: LOL!

Ohhh lol no, not the friend whose mom dyed my hair brown, the only relevance they have in this story, is that she dyed my hair brown because I wasnt going back to my hairdresser friend for her to do it after what she did to my hair

My hairdresser friend was the one a few weeks later telling me it was faded and that i needed to come back to her

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2018, 08:19 AM
I don't think I would be going back to her again.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 08:21 AM
I don't think I would be going back to her again.

Never again. My whole family is upset at what she did and at first they were the ones telling me she definitely did it on purpose and right after it happened I didnt want to listen to them. But now that ive had a while to think, and looking back at the whole situation, there were alot of red flags

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Why do you think she did it on purpose?

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Why do you think she did it on purpose?

The comments she was making, cutting way more off than she knew i wanted, and the comments she made after when I was asking her for help with the damage

She also wanted to dye my hair *again* after my friends mom had already brought me back to brown. And this was even after I told her I was ok with it fading and that I was growing it out and that I really dont think my hair could withstand another dye

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Had she done anything like this to your hair before?

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Had she done anything like this to your hair before?

Not with bleach. A few years back she gave me a mullet type haircut (definitely didnt specifically ask for that at all lol) but I really thought she was just having an off day, and because back then I was used to my hair being shorter, I pulled it back and let it grow out.

My hair has never been hip length until this past year

LeyanaWhite
December 28th, 2018, 08:30 AM
That is horrible!!! Every time I hear a story like this it makes me so disgusted because these people are literally doing this out of spite and jealousy as if they're not capable of growing their hair out just like you did! Yea it might take them some time but yours didn't get long and healthy overnight either. It's a lifestyle and it takes effort, if they're not willing to put in the time and effort that's on them! They can't punish the people who do over their laziness and impatience! Makes me so angry...from now on I only trust myself with my hair. If I mess up at least it's on me and my ignorance, not someone else and their envy.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 08:32 AM
That is horrible!!! Every time I hear a story like this it makes me so disgusted because these people are literally doing this out of spite and jealousy as if they're not capable of growing their hair out just like you did! Yea it might take them some time but yours didn't get long and healthy overnight either. It's a lifestyle and it takes effort, if they're not willing to put in the time and effort that's on them! They can't punish the people who do over their laziness and impatience! Makes me so angry...from now on I only trust myself with my hair. If I mess up at least it's on me and my ignorance, not someone else and their envy.

It absolutely is awful, from now on my hair is growing out natural and im not letting anyone touch it. Its more manageable now after all the care ive been taking of it but we have a wayyys to go

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2018, 08:40 AM
It absolutely is awful, from now on my hair is growing out natural and im not letting anyone touch it. Its more manageable now after all the care ive been taking of it but we have a wayyys to go

And you can learn to cut it/trim it yourself :)

Danglish
December 28th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Sorry about your experience.

I've had mostly very good experiences with hairdressers, though a bad one always makes me wary of going again for a long time. If you ever think of getting a new one, I'd get one who is friendly towards longhairs(some of them are well versed in that lifestyle, actually - they would know that what you want, is what is right for you).

As for hairdresser "aggression"/doing things on purpose, I've also felt that way once. As this woman was brushing tangles out of my hair, she started yanking the brush very aggressively after she realised I was not in the mood for talk, ripping out several hairs in the process. Now, I just chalk it up to her being annoyed at something else,(perhaps her job or entire life) but it did frighten me a lot as it happened, and I did take it personally. Also, I didn't go to a hairdresser for over a year afterwards

lapushka
December 28th, 2018, 09:11 AM
And you can learn to cut it/trim it yourself :)

Yes. Look into Feye's self-trimming method for sure. I'll link it below.
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Also, spidermom has her own method on this, and be sure to ask. It's with a book in front, that's what I know. But she'll explain it better, if she peaks in here! ;)

Also there are methods to layer your hair. It's called the compact cut method for layering, by which you put a ponytail on top of your head or on top of your forehead depending on the layers you want. I do the ponytail on the forehead method and the result is in my signature. DO NOT use these layering methods on hair shorter than BSL/waist! OR, you will have 80s rocker dude vibes, no joke!

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Yes. Look into Feye's self-trimming method for sure. I'll link it below.
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Also, spidermom has her own method on this, and be sure to ask. It's with a book in front, that's what I know. But she'll explain it better, if she peaks in here! ;)

Also there are methods to layer your hair. It's called the compact cut method for layering, by which you put a ponytail on top of your head or on top of your forehead depending on the layers you want. I do the ponytail on the forehead method and the result is in my signature. DO NOT use these layering methods on hair shorter than BSL/waist! OR, you will have 80s rocker dude vibes, no joke!

Yes from now on im doing it all myself. Im going to do the 2019 no trim since my hemline is very blunt with no damage. All the damage is at my crown. So ill see where I am in 2019 and then do it myself

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 09:27 AM
This was my hair before the tragedy

https://postimg.cc/fkJNHhNx

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2018, 09:33 AM
This was my hair before the tragedy

https://postimg.cc/fkJNHhNx

Ooh, that's stunning! But you are nearly back there again, and your hair is still beautiful :)

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Ooh, that's stunning! But you are nearly back there again, and your hair is still beautiful :)

Thank you, im sick to my stomach over it, and even 2 months later, im still not over it, probaby never will be

Joules
December 28th, 2018, 09:55 AM
My theory is that hairdressers hate healthy hair. Whenever they see long healthy virgin hair, their first instinct is to cut, bleach, iron, backcomb and spray the hell out of it. I'll never understand why.

Brad Mondo on YT often says how cutting off large amounts of hair is *satisfying*. Well, guess what, growing that ish out is not satisfying at all. I love his personality and I watch all his videos, but the way he speaks about long and not dyed hair makes me want to run and hide somewhere safe.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 09:58 AM
My theory is that hairdressers hate healthy hair. Whenever they see long healthy virgin hair, their first instinct is to cut, bleach, iron, backcomb and spray the hell out of it. I'll never understand why.

Brad Mondo on YT often says how cutting off large amounts of hair is *satisfying*. Well, guess what, growing that ish out is not satisfying at all. I love his personality and I watch all his videos, but the way he speaks about long and not dyed hair makes me want to run and hide somewhere safe.

Throughout the years this particular hairdresser would always make comments about *how does my hair grow so fast* and *what do I eat to make it grow like that* and how hers would never grow past a certain length. Months prior to the highlights I let her do demi permanents on it, and even then she was making comments but never whacked my hair off until now. She put my hair in 4 little pony tails and whacked right above the rubber bands. She was laughing too, and i was nervously laughing. It was an awful experience

spidermom
December 28th, 2018, 10:21 AM
It's so weird that a hair stylist would destroy your hair on purpose because they depend on developing repeat customers to earn a decent living. Surely this woman has to pay bills like everybody else? There must have been something else going on. Whatever the reason (on purpose, accidental, neglectful, otherwise), it's definitely time for a change. Cutting your own hair really isn't hard and when you're ready to do that, I can describe a good method that results in a subtle U-shaped hem. There are a lot of self-cutting videos on YouTube as well.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 10:26 AM
It's so weird that a hair stylist would destroy your hair on purpose because they depend on developing repeat customers to earn a decent living. Surely this woman has to pay bills like everybody else? There must have been something else going on. Whatever the reason (on purpose, accidental, neglectful, otherwise), it's definitely time for a change. Cutting your own hair really isn't hard and when you're ready to do that, I can describe a good method that results in a subtle U-shaped hem. There are a lot of self-cutting videos on YouTube as well.

Thats what I cant understand either. I think what honestly happened was that she left the bleach on wayyy too long in order to try to get my hair light enough. I think she pushed it a little too much but didnt realize it until it was too late. I felt like an hour and a half may have been a little too long and that the foils were getting a little too warm but she said no no its fine.

Id love to learn to cut my own hair. Im going to wait a little while before doing it

Milady_DeWinter
December 28th, 2018, 10:35 AM

So YES. Some years ago I had hip lenght hair, all virgin then, and went to a neat hairdresser close to the place I worked. The guy in charge went all OMG when he saw my hair and I said that I wanted a cut, and offered to do it for free if I was going to cut a large amount. Oh well, I just trimmed 1" (he did a good job I must say) but he was so disappointed because I didn't wanted to cut more :p Not in a grumpy way, like joking... but still.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 10:40 AM
So YES. Some years ago I had hip lenght hair, all virgin then, and went to a neat hairdresser close to the place I worked. The guy in charge went all OMG when he saw my hair and I said that I wanted a cut, and offered to do it for free if I was going to cut a large amount. Oh well, I just trimmed 1" (he did a good job I must say) but was so disappointed because I didn't wanted to cut more :p Not in a grumpy way, like joking... but still.

Awful. I will most likely never go back to a hairdresser fof the rest of my life

Milady_DeWinter
December 28th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Awful. I will most likely never go back to a hairdresser fof the rest of my life

Yep. It made me feel so uncomfortable, and never came back despite it was a good place... and 2 years ago I dyed in another salon and the bleach totally destroyed my hair: the girl left me ORANGE instead of the soft auburn I wanted, and I passed some weeks trying dyes not to look like that... Had to cut back to BSL, my scalp hurted a lot and the damage was terrible; I'm still growing out the damage. I never went back to a hairdresser, learned to trim here in the forum so I'm all happy now. I was very angry for such a long time :( So I totally understand you!

nycelle
December 28th, 2018, 10:55 AM
She was probably annoyed with you because you went to someone else instead of her to have your hair dyed brown.

Either way, she cut off more than you wanted and you seem to think she purposely damaged your hair, so definitely time for someone new.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 10:57 AM
She was probably annoyed with you because you went to someone else instead of her to have your hair dyed brown.

Either way, she cut off more than you wanted and you seem to think she purposely damaged your hair, so definitely time for someone new.

She definitely was annoyed at me for going to someone else to get it back to brown. That was very clear. She was even mad at me for asking her to cover the highlights and I was getting just all around weird vibes.

She cut off more than what I wanted but honestly I could have lived with that if my hair wasnt also damaged. And yes looking back on it, that bleach was left on way too long and she knew it. No more hairdressers for this girl lol

Joules
December 28th, 2018, 11:31 AM
So YES. Some years ago I had hip lenght hair, all virgin then, and went to a neat hairdresser close to the place I worked. The guy in charge went all OMG when he saw my hair and I said that I wanted a cut, and offered to do it for free if I was going to cut a large amount. Oh well, I just trimmed 1" (he did a good job I must say) but he was so disappointed because I didn't wanted to cut more :p Not in a grumpy way, like joking... but still.

Well, at least he did what you asked him to. Some hairdressers just chop...

But I understand, some hairdressers do have big mouths and say things their clients don't want to hear. That was the reason I quit going to a hairdresser. I just got tired of hearing opinions about my ends and how much I should cut off.

Joules
December 28th, 2018, 11:45 AM

Well, she should have thought more about the situation instead of just getting annoyed.

My Mom got mad at her hairdresser once. She would often make Mom sit with the dye on her head longer than recommended, or she wouldn't wash it out properly, and it gave Mom bad allergic reactions. Mom tried to tell her about it, but she didn't listen. Well, one day Mom just asked her what dye she used, bought it and asked me to touch up her roots at home. Now she goes to that lady only for major changes and trims, and guess what? She treats her like a princess. And I'm just wondering how could she not pay attention to an allergy. When Mom went to a different (super expensive) salon for a consultation, she told a hair guy there that she had an allergy, he got worried and refused to do anything on her without a patch test. I guess some people can't comprehend how serious an issue is until something awful happens.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Well, she should have thought more about the situation instead of just getting annoyed.

My Mom got mad at her hairdresser once. She would often make Mom sit with the dye on her head longer than recommended, or she wouldn't wash it out properly, and it gave Mom bad allergic reactions. Mom tried to tell her about it, but she didn't listen. Well, one day Mom just asked her what dye she used, bought it and asked me to touch up her roots at home. Now she goes to that lady only for major changes and trims, and guess what? She treats her like a princess. And I'm just wondering how could she not pay attention to an allergy. When Mom went to a different (super expensive) salon for a consultation, she told a hair guy there that she had an allergy, he got worried and refused to do anything on her without a patch test. I guess some people can't comprehend how serious an issue is until something awful happens.

Thats awful that she would do that to your mom
I feel like some of them dont really care because they arent the ones that have to walk around with the damage after they are done. Im actually kind of glad something like this happened, because it honestly could have been alot worse. If the bleach had been left on any longer I would have had breakage all along my crown. Ive been an RN for 11 years, I know nothing about hair coloring (actually minimal) but I knew well enough that something didnt feel right about the bleach being on so long. I actually did start to question it almost around the 45 minute mark. She checked them, said my hair is intact and its fine. So i thought shes the hairdresseer she would know

nycelle
December 28th, 2018, 12:26 PM

Nah, most of us don't think into a situation if we don't believe we did anything wrong.

I would never, ever let anyone leave bleach on my hair for 1.5 hours, that's beyond ridiculous and Sparkles is lucky she didn't lose her hair.

As far as your mom, that's terrible - but why did she go back more than once to someone who gave her problems?
I had a bad trim back in May/June. Not only won't I go back, but I made sure the owner of the salon knew what happened, and I posted on Yelp as well.

I know sometimes people aren't comfortable being confrontational, I get that. But when it comes to our health, that's when we need to speak up and say FU, get this S**t off my head. :shrug:

Cate36
December 28th, 2018, 01:43 PM
The hairdressers I have been to lately have all had good intentions...

Before I damaged my hair, I never touched hairdressers.. But the damaged prompted me to cry for help.. and I do think I got it in spits and spats..with a few regrets..

One woman really helped me with some amazing essential oils that she infused into my hair..it has never felt so soft..! I'm tempted to go back to her once my hair has got a little stronger, longer and thicker and have the treatment again..

But it's the brushing I hate..! My hair so So delicate after the damage .. and they seem to brush and pull the hair as if it is healthy and normal.. it's not..

When I wash it, I take ages and ages to detangle it. stopping whenever the comb hits a tangle and working it out with my fingers.. I am at the point where I feel I'll never go to a hairdresser again, unless it is for a Olaplex treatment or something similar, and under the proviso that I can brush it and dry it myself.. I can manage split ends without a hairdresser.. it really doesn't ever need cutting as such..

VenusianMane
December 28th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry for this terrible experience, Sparkles122 but soon enough your hair will get to hip length again and be even more beautiful than ever :heartbeat

I don't plan to learn how to trim/cut/layer my hair on my own, I rather go to a professional, but I'm getting increasingly worried about going to hairdresser again because of all the bad experiences I heard of around here :( sure, I had my share of not being entirely happy with a haircut, hairdressers cutting more than I asked for, but nothing major and also, despite me always caring a lot about my hair, I never did it as much as right now, and this care will grow the longer my hair and my dedication to it grows, so I'm worried for the day when I'll have to cut it, I hope I don't have a bad experience, I still want to value and trust good professionals and IDK I think if I cut my hair on my own I'd mess it up or it wouldn't be that good

Joules I totally agree with you on Brad Mondo, I love his videos, but it's so sad to see what he thinks of long hair, and other hairstylists too

Servana
December 28th, 2018, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about it @VenusianMane.
It's not as common as it would seem based on these boards. Coming from someone who usually has waist or hip length hair but actually likes to get their hair cut off to shoulder every now and again, it's actually hard to find someone who will even do it! Whenever I come in with my long hair and ask for a bunch to be cut off they are always so hesitant and cut off way less than I want, saying "Oh no let's just try this length and see how you like it, then you can come back and get it shorter". They seem to be afraid that they're going to cut it the way I've asked for and then I'm going to cry because all my hair is gone or something. Which probably has happened with other customers, lol. Or maybe they're just trying to make more money by getting me to come back twice!

Either way it's annoying and I went through a period of maybe 2 years where I solely cut my own hair because I wanted to be able to hack it off at my leisure! Self-cutting is cool, but I've gone back to hairdressers because it's just so much easier. I was able to do a pretty good job and get it even, but for some reason the layers on the sides always looked weird on one side. Having wavy or curly hair is definitely an asset if you self-cut, lol. Oh and I think you need to get some expensive scissors because I got $20 ones from a hair place and they were so blunt they couldn't cut through the tiniest amount of hair and trims would take over an hour. So just something to think about if you like the convenience of hairdressers. They're not the devil, you just need to find a trustworthy salon and stick with it.

illicitlizard
December 28th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not as common as it would seem based on these boards. Coming from someone who usually has waist or hip length hair but actually likes to get their hair cut off to shoulder every now and again, it's actually hard to find someone who will even do it! Whenever I come in with my long hair and ask for a bunch to be cut off they are always so hesitant and cut off way less than I want, saying "Oh no let's just try this length and see how you like it, then you can come back and get it shorter". They seem to be afraid that they're going to cut it the way I've asked for and then I'm going to cry because all my hair is gone or something. Which probably has happened with other customers, lol. Or maybe they're just trying to make more money by getting me to come back twice!

This has happened to me too so many times! It may just be luck of the draw, but I've only had my hair cut shorter than I wanted once and that was mostly due to me not communicating what I wanted. All other times they seem terrified to cut off what I actually want. Especially with big chops, like bsl to sl or cbl to buzz haha.
I understand a hesitant stylist more than a scissor happy stylist just because of how many people get precious about their hair (as they should, I mean come on it takes so long to grow!!) and the fact that if they're a good hairdresser they want to build their clientele.

It's really awful though that this hairdresser was so passive aggressive to you Sparkles. Hopefully you can find a better way to get haircuts, either self cutting or getting a hairdresser that's on board with your hair goals!

Dendra
December 28th, 2018, 04:23 PM
I'm really sorry for how much you miss your hip length hair Sparkles, I know hair regret too well.
Your hair is still lovely though and will grow back, at least your hairdresser could not rob you of your genetics!

I have to agree with the above in that I have always had hairdressers take too little rather than too much off. Maybe because I've never gone in with hair past BSL?
Though I did have a hairdresser take his bad day out on my hair once, he heat damaged the c**p out of my hair. And another one told me I'd ruined my hair with a box dye (it was pretty damaged), which made me really sad, hence the aforementioned hair regrets.

VenusianMane
December 28th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about it @VenusianMane.
It's not as common as it would seem based on these boards. Coming from someone who usually has waist or hip length hair but actually likes to get their hair cut off to shoulder every now and again, it's actually hard to find someone who will even do it! Whenever I come in with my long hair and ask for a bunch to be cut off they are always so hesitant and cut off way less than I want, saying "Oh no let's just try this length and see how you like it, then you can come back and get it shorter". They seem to be afraid that they're going to cut it the way I've asked for and then I'm going to cry because all my hair is gone or something. Which probably has happened with other customers, lol. Or maybe they're just trying to make more money by getting me to come back twice!

Either way it's annoying and I went through a period of maybe 2 years where I solely cut my own hair because I wanted to be able to hack it off at my leisure! Self-cutting is cool, but I've gone back to hairdressers because it's just so much easier. I was able to do a pretty good job and get it even, but for some reason the layers on the sides always looked weird on one side. Having wavy or curly hair is definitely an asset if you self-cut, lol. Oh and I think you need to get some expensive scissors because I got $20 ones from a hair place and they were so blunt they couldn't cut through the tiniest amount of hair and trims would take over an hour. So just something to think about if you like the convenience of hairdressers. They're not the devil, you just need to find a trustworthy salon and stick with it.

I see, thank you for the reassurance! :p
I guess I'm worried because I would have yet to find a trustworthy salon, I like my current one, but the hairdresser cuts the hair in a way I don't know if I want it again, I think she thins my hair (?) and I wanted to try to find another hairdresser, but I'll that concern for future me

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I'm really sorry for how much you miss your hip length hair Sparkles, I know hair regret too well.
Your hair is still lovely though and will grow back, at least your hairdresser could not rob you of your genetics!

I have to agree with the above in that I have always had hairdressers take too little rather than too much off. Maybe because I've never gone in with hair past BSL?
Though I did have a hairdresser take his bad day out on my hair once, he heat damaged the c**p out of my hair. And another one told me I'd ruined my hair with a box dye (it was pretty damaged), which made me really sad, hence the aforementioned hair regrets.

Thank you. Ive always for the most part cared about my hair, but I guess this time was pretty traumatic. Especially since I had worked so hard and then in a couple hours it was down the drain. I dont know why I thought this was a good idea. I think its mostly in part that whenever I went to go have a demi permanent on it she would say “you should let me highlight your hair”
Whats done is done, I can only move on from here. Oh how I wish that I had went to a hairdresser that didnt want to take too much off.

Servana
December 28th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Hopefully you can bounce back quickly. Maybe focus on doing deep treatments and TLC and try not to think about the length so much. I'm going through something similar except it was my fault.

I always cycle through having waist to hip length hair and then getting bored and cutting to shoulder. I see all these cute short cuts and I'm like "Oh I want to look like that! I'm sick of all this hair!" And then I cut it and it turns into a giant poof ball due to my hair type and then I have to grow it out again as I don't think my hair looks good until at least MBL. So I'm at BSL right now and it was so healthy but then I went to the pool with some friends one day and the chemicals were so strong... And it was as if my hair had a bleach bath, it was and is so dry and damaged. It was a few weeks until I could even brush through it and it's still dry and frizzy. It's getting better though! Lots of deep conditioner and oils, and a bit of protein.

So yeah, you need to find a distraction 😬 Also for faster growth and healthier hair I recommend fish oil tablets - for me personally these work wonders.

Sparkles122
December 28th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Hopefully you can bounce back quickly. Maybe focus on doing deep treatments and TLC and try not to think about the length so much. I'm going through something similar except it was my fault.

I always cycle through having waist to hip length hair and then getting bored and cutting to shoulder. I see all these cute short cuts and I'm like "Oh I want to look like that! I'm sick of all this hair!" And then I cut it and it turns into a giant poof ball due to my hair type and then I have to grow it out again as I don't think my hair looks good until at least MBL. So I'm at BSL right now and it was so healthy but then I went to the pool with some friends one day and the chemicals were so strong... And it was as if my hair had a bleach bath, it was and is so dry and damaged. It was a few weeks until I could even brush through it and it's still dry and frizzy. It's getting better though! Lots of deep conditioner and oils, and a bit of protein.

So yeah, you need to find a distraction �� Also for faster growth and healthier hair I recommend fish oil tablets - for me personally these work wonders.

Ive gotten it to something more manageable than it was, but it will definitely need to be grown out. The most fun part of this all is that my ends are perfectly fine and the damage is all along the crown, which is the absolute worst

And yes Ive been taking fish oil for years, it clears my skin too! I will never go without it

Wendyclaire
December 28th, 2018, 08:25 PM
You just can’t put your faith in a hair dresser to know what you want. Most will do their own thing and try to talk you into something they want to do. I feel bad a friend would do that to you. Sometimes female friends are jealous and can be hateful.

kitcatsmeow
December 28th, 2018, 09:39 PM
There is only one person I trust with my hair and she has beautiful healthy long hair and completely understands. When i went for my trim I’m november and mention about cutting inches off because of my shed she was like “you’re not really going to are you?” Lol. Anytime I do anything more than dust the ends she asks me 8 times if that’s what i really want. Even cutting a 1/2” and i don’t even think she did quite that much.

Not all hairdressers are awful but for her to do something like that on purpose sounds to me like she want really your friend.

lithostoic
December 28th, 2018, 09:53 PM
That is just awful. I remember getting cap highlights at the age of 14 and my scalp being SO sore. Hairdresser insisted on the cap even though I asked for foils.

Being 14 she ignored my request and spent the next hour or more struggling to pull my hair through the cap. Then had the nerve to say with exasperation "You have sooo much hair" like no **** Sherlock that's why I wanted the freaking foils.

Results looked great but my scalp hurt so bad that I couldn't wash my hair for several days and I was a daily washer back then. And we spent more money than we probably should have because of the amount of time we were there.

leayellena
December 29th, 2018, 02:11 AM
Hairdressers are psychos.

sophia_
December 29th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I just don't trust other people with my hair, not even friends to braid it, because they're not inside my head, and even when I request something simple it's sometimes unfamiliar to them. Self-trimming is much easier to me when I'm cutting a small amount, it's difficult to do on other people I imagine, because it's harder to get it straight when it's so small. When stylists brush my hair, or even when people run their fingers through it, I'm constantly on edge, listening for snaps on my silk-fine hair (it's as easy as tearing a tiny silk thread! Good thing I have a lot of it lol). I just don't let anyone touch my hair anymore.

2gaits
December 29th, 2018, 07:52 PM
I liked a hairdresser I went to for hearts but he was only great if you wanted to maintain a shorter style. His assistant that washed and blow dried the hair was a nightmare. Ripped out my hair when combing it wet and would just burn it with the dryer. Latest stylist is great at dusting the ends but she insists on adding highlights even though I have asked for lowlights the last few times. Also I swear she was practically cutting into my scalp with a comb this time. Hair dryer was super hot and she was using a metal bristled brush. Crazy. Why do they do these things??

Joules
December 30th, 2018, 02:51 AM
I liked a hairdresser I went to for hearts but he was only great if you wanted to maintain a shorter style. His assistant that washed and blow dried the hair was a nightmare. Ripped out my hair when combing it wet and would just burn it with the dryer. Latest stylist is great at dusting the ends but she insists on adding highlights even though I have asked for lowlights the last few times. Also I swear she was practically cutting into my scalp with a comb this time. Hair dryer was super hot and she was using a metal bristled brush. Crazy. Why do they do these things??

They don't know better. Or maybe they don't care, they need to make you look good for one day, and whatever happens after that isn't their business. That's why it always makes me laugh whenever I hear a hairdresser giving out hair care advice.

lapushka
December 30th, 2018, 05:46 AM
I like not going, actually. I don't miss it one bit. I had 2 perms while on this forum and so I needed a hairdresser to do it, but I came back with "big" fuzzy hair both times; yep, nothing curly girl about it. :lol: Oh well. First thing I did was re-wash and style it CG style - much better. I loved those curls. Second time some hair broke off, though (an entire roller's worth). So I no longer am "eager" to get one. Even though I will always like curly hair!

We all have our stories of fright. I shared mine a couple times, more than a couple times, and so I'm not going to repeat them, let's just say one time, I went before I graduated and that got messed up quite a bit. :( I shocked my mom at the time with my haircut (ear length bob with super short bangs as they had had to "fix" it).

It will pass, and you'll learn to deal with doing your own hair. It's the most fun to me. I no longer need someone else to do my hair (well, actually my mom cuts it for me. I do the ponytail, she makes the cut, I have "fuzzy" fingers due to my condition).

Hope the damage grows out nicely! :flower:
And it will, I'm sure!