PDA

View Full Version : Extremely itchy scalp

guska
December 27th, 2018, 12:36 AM
My scalp is driving me insane... Itches like there’s no tomorrow. A couple of times I’ve scratched so hard that it started to bleed... TMI, but that’s how much it itches. There’s a small amount of non-oily, dry (almost powderous) sebum but that’s it. My scalp is of the dry type.

I CO-wash once a week with a cone-free conditioner. I don’t use other products/oils. The itchiness starts 3-4 days post-wash. I’ve never experienced this before, even in wintertime. The problem persists even when I switch to a different (cone-free) conditioner.

What could this be? Fungal overgrowth, dry scalp, dandruff, SD, buildup or something else? I don’t clarify, but haven’t found that to be a problem during all the years I’ve CO-washed cone-free. Should I wash more often, as soon as it starts to itch?

I’ve heard about ACV-rinses and tried it a few times before this problem began. Will try again.

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

edit: There are flakes when I scratch, but I don’t know if they are sebum or skin flakes.

Arciela
December 27th, 2018, 01:55 AM
I experienced this for almost an entire year while I was cowashing and then on a whim decided to use my MIL head and shoulders.

That fixed it up for me! Now I can weekly wash with no itching but if I use the cowash or any oil on my head it itches pretty fast.

If its bad you could always visit the dermatologist, they can most likely tell what it is :)

pailin
December 27th, 2018, 02:35 AM
I find vinegar soothes an itchy scalp for me, but doesn't necessarily fix the problem.
I don't tolerate cowashing or scalp oiling because it makes my scalp itch, and stretching washes also makes my scalp itch.

The two obvious causes for scalp itch are dryness - which may mean too much hairwashing- or the greasiness/dandruff/ flakiness, from not enough hair washing or the wrong type of shampoo.
It could be your scalp needs more moisture (maybe oiling) but I think it's very likely it needs shampoo or possibly more frequent cowashing, especially since the itching begins a few days after cowashing and not immediately.

If you try a shampoo, dandruff shampoos with menthol-the cooling ones- feel lovely on an itchy scalp.

Otherwise, do get it looked at by a dermatologist. You shouldn't be itching like that. They'll know if you have one of the less common things going on, like a fungal infection. If it takes a month or so to get a dermatologist appointment, you could always make an appointment and experiment with your routine while you wait.

guska
December 27th, 2018, 03:47 AM
Thank you both for your fast responses!

I’ll try washing with shampoo today, a H&S shampoo with mint, since that’s what I found at home. And maybe my usual conditioner, but only on the lengths.

I will make an appointment with my school nurse/doctor and see what they’ll say.

Edit: I think this scalp problem also causes more shedding than usual. It’s obviously very frustrating but hope the shampoo will help with problem.

Joules
December 27th, 2018, 04:00 AM
I second the shampoo suggestion. I agree that it might be fungal overgrowth, fungus usually causes itching, dandruff and excess shedding (and follicle pain, I had lots of it when I co-washed).

And I'd definitely book an appointment with a dermatologist, the trichologist I follow on social media says dry scalp isn't normal in young people (young meaning of childbearing age).

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 04:11 AM
My scalp is driving me insane... Itches like there’s no tomorrow. A couple of times I’ve scratched so hard that it started to bleed... TMI, but that’s how much it itches. There’s a small amount of non-oily, dry (almost powderous) sebum but that’s it. My scalp is of the dry type.

I CO-wash once a week with a cone-free conditioner. I don’t use other products/oils. The itchiness starts 3-4 days post-wash. I’ve never experienced this before, even in wintertime. The problem persists even when I switch to a different (cone-free) conditioner.

What could this be? Fungal overgrowth, dry scalp, dandruff, SD, buildup or something else? I don’t clarify, but haven’t found that to be a problem during all the years I’ve CO-washed cone-free. Should I wash more often, as soon as it starts to itch?

I’ve heard about ACV-rinses and tried it a few times before this problem began. Will try again.

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

edit: There are flakes when I scratch, but I don’t know if they are sebum or skin flakes.

When is the last time you clarify-washed? I would start there, honestly!!!

If that doesn't help, I would go see your doctor, if you can. You might need something medicated.

We can't diagnose you over the net, and we aren't doctors!

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 04:13 AM
And I'd definitely book an appointment with a dermatologist, the trichologist I follow on social media says dry scalp isn't normal in young people (young meaning of childbearing age).

My mom always had dry scalp, since she was a child, all through now at age 73. She can go a month, and even longer, without washing. No flakes, no nothing (sebum I mean). It has always been a mystery, but I'd not just trust these internet "gurus".

Stray_mind
December 27th, 2018, 04:24 AM
I have the same problem, except i don't co wash. I haven't switched any products, i do a ROO once in a while.

When i touch my scalp, a bunch of small white dandruff starts falling like snow.
My hair actually doesn't get as oily after two days of not washing as it used to, i wonder if it is just dry scalp because of winter weather...

Maybe i should try clarifying...

Joules
December 27th, 2018, 05:45 AM
My mom always had dry scalp, since she was a child, all through now at age 73. She can go a month, and even longer, without washing. No flakes, no nothing (sebum I mean). It has always been a mystery, but I'd not just trust these internet "gurus".

This internet "guru" is a doctor with Classic length fabulous hair (used to be knee, but she cut it earlier this year). She suffered from androgenetic alopecia in her late teens and decided to become a trichologist because of it. She doesn't give out advice and diagnoses, she just says what can be abnormal (emphasis on can), and what you should probably check. I don't think your mother ever checked why her scalp was dry, so how can you be so sure there were no underlying issues at all? Some things can go unnoticed if they don't bother you. Of course she might be an exception, but I think such cases would be quite rare. An average person with dry scalp most likely needs it (and their hormones) checked.

bokeh
December 27th, 2018, 05:55 AM
My hair always starts to itch or get sore in spots a day or two after either washing with shampoo or co-washing. It immediately feels fine after shampooing or co-washing. Shampoo seems to give me longer (about an extra day) before the itching starts again. I would love to go for a long time without washing but I focus on my scalp health and wash as soon as I feel the first itch. I hope that your scalp feels better as soon as you wash with the H&S.

guska
December 27th, 2018, 06:14 AM
lapushka, in my country it takes forever from booking an appointment to actually seeing the doctor. It’s a thing. And in my case I have to first consult my school doctor/nurse as they will book the appointment. So yes, I will have my scalp checked by a dermatologist, there’s just a really long waiting time. And I know you guys can’t diagnose me :)

Joules, I’ve always had dry skin and scalp... I had my hormones checked the same time as my bloodwork, everything was normal.

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 06:25 AM
This internet "guru" is a doctor with Classic length fabulous hair (used to be knee, but she cut it earlier this year). She suffered from androgenetic alopecia in her late teens and decided to become a trichologist because of it. She doesn't give out advice and diagnoses, she just says what can be abnormal (emphasis on can), and what you should probably check. I don't think your mother ever checked why her scalp was dry, so how can you be so sure there were no underlying issues at all? Some things can go unnoticed if they don't bother you. Of course she might be an exception, but I think such cases would be quite rare. An average person with dry scalp most likely needs it (and their hormones) checked.

My mom's healthy for a 73 year old, never had any issues with anything. I think she might be one of *more* out there that don't have to wash regularly. Think of all those Afro-American women who wash 2 weekly or monthly. Surely they aren't exceptions either? :)

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 06:27 AM
lapushka, in my country it takes forever from booking an appointment to actually seeing the doctor. It’s a thing. And in my case I have to first consult my school doctor/nurse as they will book the appointment. So yes, I will have my scalp checked by a dermatologist, there’s just a really long waiting time. And I know you guys can’t diagnose me :)

Can you get a hold of Nizoral 2%, or the 1% if it's not OTC. Maybe try that. Your scalp may not be dry, but oily and the CO-washing might not be doing it any favors. I'm saying you could "try" it, not that you have SD.

lithostoic
December 27th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Don't rule out head lice!

MusicalSpoons
December 27th, 2018, 07:36 AM
I have the same problem, except i don't co wash. I haven't switched any products, i do a ROO once in a while.

When i touch my scalp, a bunch of small white dandruff starts falling like snow.
My hair actually doesn't get as oily after two days of not washing as it used to, i wonder if it is just dry scalp because of winter weather...

Maybe i should try clarifying...

My scalp used to do that, and the itching, and it was purely dehydrated skin - not *dry* skin because it's definitely oily, but dehydrated. It took experimenting with different types of shampoo to find something that didn't dehydrate my skin when I used it - so far only 3 (completely different!) products keep it happy enough. I also tried miracle water, but that made no difference for my scalp (my body loves it though!).

(I thought it was sulphates, but I tried several different sulphate-free shampoos and they were better but still not mild enough. I have found one SLES-containing product works, a feminine wash with a lower pH; one 'normal' sulphate-free shampoo, and one raw/fermented soapnut shampoo.)

Mine got worse in winter too, with the dry indoor air.

blackgothicdoll
December 27th, 2018, 09:21 AM
My mom's healthy for a 73 year old, never had any issues with anything. I think she might be one of *more* out there that don't have to wash regularly. Think of all those Afro-American women who wash 2 weekly or monthly. Surely they aren't exceptions either? :)

I was going to say as well... most black women have dry scalps, which is why we don't wash our hair too often or even add oil to our scalps. We want to encourage sebum production, it isn't something that happens naturally for a lot of us. Genetics would definitely play a role in that, I wouldn't say it's a health issue (right off the bat, without additional evidence).

guska
December 27th, 2018, 09:55 AM
So I washed my hair with the H&S shampoo and for now my scalp isn’t itching or anything. I’ll check in if my scalp starts to itch before my next washing session.

lithostoic, I had my mom check my head and hair, it’s not lice :)

lapushka, it’s available in my local drugstore in two forms, 2% cream and shampoo, I think I’ll buy the shampoo.

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 10:49 AM
lapushka, it’s available in my local drugstore in two forms, 2% cream and shampoo, I think I’ll buy the shampoo.

Don't want to be annoying and say what's obvious, but be sure to follow instructions. Suds up, leave in for 5-10 min. (I would leave it on max. amount of time), then wash with the suds and rinse. Voilà! It should alleviate the itch just about right away. You do have to use it 2 times a week until all symptoms go away.

guska
December 27th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Don't want to be annoying and say what's obvious, but be sure to follow instructions. Suds up, leave in for 5-10 min. (I would leave it on max. amount of time), then wash with the suds and rinse. Voilà! It should alleviate the itch just about right away. You do have to use it 2 times a week until all symptoms go away.

Thank you for the reminder :blossom: Is it a product that I have to use all the time or the itchiness will come back?

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Thank you for the reminder :blossom: Is it a product that I have to use all the time or the itchiness will come back?

Normally, when I use it, I use it until all symptoms have gone (usually I can tell by the flakes, if they have finally gone, it's OK). Then I just switch back to sulfates (because I can't CO-wash or it comes back, sulfate-free same thing).

Joules
December 27th, 2018, 11:56 AM

Black women's hair doesn't show greasiness like Caucasian hair does. Because of texture, and because they usually put it into a protective style and don't touch it for weeks. My Mom has 3B curls, and she can easily go for an entire week without washes, even though technically she's as oily as me (I wash my hair every 72 hours), just because the sebum doesn't spread down the hair as quickly. Same thing with dreadlocks, a lot of people with dreads wash their scalps once a month, even though when their hair was loose they needed to wash often. It just doesn't look dirty.

I just googled "afro hair dry scalp", and most results talk about dry, itchy and flaky scalp (some even mention pain). So it's definitely not just lack of sebum, there's fungus involved, most likely because of infrequent washes.

teeks
December 27th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Don't rule out head lice!

I've just had head lice (thank you, child who shares my pillow at night) and it itches like crazy on me.

dagny
December 27th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I had this exact same thing happen to me and, after suffering for a year of crazy itching (no flakes, no critters, etc) I finally grabbed some SLES shampoo (on a whim) and had INSTANT relief!

Prior to this, I had used 'natural' shampoos/conditioner for over 15 years, no sulfates, no cones, tried CO/WO/no Poo, clays, masks, and basically everything recommended here. So it was strange that my scalp started itching.

Now I use SLES shampoos whenever my scalp feels itchy, and the natural ones the rest of the time. Works perfectly for me.

HTH!

Reyesuela
December 27th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I'd use actual shampoo--Nizoral for the hair-growth-boosting side-effects.

Asians have less sebum in their hair, ears, and skin. (Google "wet ear wax gene". lol) Just because it doesn't feel oily doesn't mean that a lack of shampoo isn't the problem. A dryer scalp vs a white person is very normal for Asians. That doesn't mean that it doesn't benefit from washing. "Dry, itchy, flaky" is normal for Asian dandruff. Doesn't mean there's going to be something else going on than just skin that is flaking but isn't being pulled free because what you're doing isn't enough for your scalp.

In premodern times, there would me a lot of scalp manipulation with combs against the scalp itself to keep all the normal shed skin from building up. There was also often oil used to help lubricate, loosen, and remove flakes. You can adjust to less dependence on modern detergents over time, but it depends on your own scalp and if you adopt other techniques to replace modern detergents as to how much success you will have.

blackgothicdoll
December 27th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Black women's hair doesn't show greasiness like Caucasian hair does. Because of texture, and because they usually put it into a protective style and don't touch it for weeks. My Mom has 3B curls, and she can easily go for an entire week without washes, even though technically she's as oily as me (I wash my hair every 72 hours), just because the sebum doesn't spread down the hair as quickly. Same thing with dreadlocks, a lot of people with dreads wash their scalps once a month, even though when their hair was loose they needed to wash often. It just doesn't look dirty.

I just googled "afro hair dry scalp", and most results talk about dry, itchy and flaky scalp (some even mention pain). So it's definitely not just lack of sebum, there's fungus involved, most likely because of infrequent washes.

These are all broad generalizations. :/

ETA: I will simply attest, I wash once a week, it's around day 3 or day 4 that I notice my scalp produce sebum. If it doesn't produce sebum, I will need to oil because it will feel awfully dry. After I've oiled, I'm safe to wash again in the next couple days. Anyway, the point of any of that information is for me to say that yes, it is possible to have a dry scalp, it's not because we're all dirty and never wash our hair and have scalp fungus. :rolleyes:

guska
December 27th, 2018, 02:34 PM
dagny - That sounds so much like me! Many ’natural’ sulfate- and cone-free years. They worked when they worked.

Reyesuela - My whole family besides me has oily skin. I’ve always thought that dry skin was normal for me because I’ve always had it.

And regarding the Nizoral - It boosts hair growth as a side effect? Wohoo. I’m not going to expect any new growth, but still hoping, you know. But wait, hair growth, not thickening? :(

Seems that I have to rethink my washing routine, but I’ll gladly start using sulfates again if that’s all it takes to stop the itching and flaking.

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 02:40 PM
These are all broad generalizations. :/

ETA: I will simply attest, I wash once a week, it's around day 3 or day 4 that I notice my scalp produce sebum. If it doesn't produce sebum, I will need to oil because it will feel awfully dry. After I've oiled, I'm safe to wash again in the next couple days. Anyway, the point of any of that information is for me to say that yes, it is possible to have a dry scalp, it's not because we're all dirty and never wash our hair and have scalp fungus. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with that! Not all African-Americans have dry scalp and not all white people have oily scalp either. My mom is white and can go 2 months if she really wants. When she used to work she even went 3 months sometimes due to being too busy. No. No joke!!!

I still think that trichologist is way off base to make these kinds of "assumptions" without a base in science or even a study on the subject. What is s/he basing herself/himself on, anyway?

lithostoic
December 27th, 2018, 05:28 PM
I've just had head lice (thank you, child who shares my pillow at night) and it itches like crazy on me.

Ugh I'm sorry to hear that. I had lice either last year or the year before and it sucked. They took forever to go away despite harsh antiparisitic hair treatments.

Entangled
December 27th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Seconding the medicated shampoo--I have SD and it helped a lot! Another thing that helped was making sure my hair was completely dry before putting it up. Between using the medicated shampoo and drying my scalp, the flakes and itchiness that had bugged me for years went away in two weeks!

littlestarface
December 27th, 2018, 11:21 PM

OO your beautiful hair! :wail: I hope you can get rid of them quickly teeks.

Joules
December 28th, 2018, 01:32 AM
I still think that trichologist is way off base to make these kinds of "assumptions" without a base in science or even a study on the subject. What is s/he basing herself/himself on, anyway?

I don't even know, maybe education?

Guys, if you want to consider itchy and flaky scalp a norm, go for it. Your scalp, your choice. I tried to help with a suggestion from an actual hair doctor whose hair looks like she knows what she's doing.

Lapushka, your mother is the only person with dry scalp without symptoms of fungal overgrowth I've ever heard of in almost a decade of my hair research. In my eyes she's a one in a million exception.

blackgothicdoll, I didn't mean you were dirty and had scalp fungus, I certainly didn't want to offend you. "Scalp fungus" is something we all have in small amounts, it's just that it starts overgrowing in certain conditions. In me this overgrowth manifested itself in awful scalp/follicle pain and shedding after years of low-poo and co-washing (and occasional stretching washes) without enough clarifying. I thought I just had sensitive scalp and my sheds were normal, when in relity I needed a generous dose of sodium lauryl sulfate. Since I discovered scalp fungus overgrowth was a thing, I've seen a lot of people (both on this forum and outside of it) having it without even realizing there's an issue. That's why I'm talking about it and bringing up that trichologist, because yes, in this case generalizing isn't as bad (doctors do generalize flu or yeast infection symptoms and prescribe generalized meds, why do scalp conditions have to be different?). If someone still wants to sacrifice their scalp for the sake of having moisturized hair, well, there's nothing I can do about it.

Let's close this conversation.

lapushka
December 28th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Lapushka, your mother is the only person with dry scalp without symptoms of fungal overgrowth I've ever heard of in almost a decade of my hair research. In my eyes she's a one in a million exception.

I know, Joules, it's a total mystery to us. And what's odd is that her hair, apart from where she constantly sprays her hair spray (in the front) smells as fresh as on wash day. No sour smell, no oily smell, no sebum-y smell, nothing. :?: She went to the doctor with this (our family internist at the time) and he just said, if it didn't bother her, not to mess with it and to just wash as less as possible as washing it more frequently was not going to be beneficial for her scalp skin.

And I agree, let's get back on track! :thumbsup:

MusicalSpoons
December 28th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Guys, if you want to consider itchy and flaky scalp a norm, go for it. Your scalp, your choice.

I did, for a long time, because I didn't know any better. I eventually found relief, even though it wasn't a massive problem once my scalp was a bit happier, and it's a wonderful feeling :happydance:

(Not that everyone's issue will be the same as mine was - far from it - but still, the symptoms were similar.)

Stray_mind
December 28th, 2018, 10:59 AM
So i clarified and massaged some cedar essential oil into the spots that were itchy and then into the entire scalp. So far so good. Not gonna put anything else on my hair this time.

nycelle
December 28th, 2018, 11:07 AM
I'm not gonna say something that's not popular here, but it's my opinion.

Personally, I think a lot of hair/scalp issues are caused by just not washing your scalp enough. Washing only when the scalp gets oily means that environmental pollutants, dust, lint, etc, are just going to be sitting on your scalp, and in your hair until you (not you per se) think it's oily enough to wash. Some heads may be able to handle it, but I don't think most can. And if you're someone that washes once a week, and uses a cowash or mild shampoo, it may just not be enough to keep your scalp healthy.

I no longer wait until my scalp starts to get oily. These days I wash every 3rd day like clockwork, and I wash twice (I use sulfate free). I also use a scalp massager with my second wash.

As far as a flaky scalp, I used to get it in the winter months, but only around my hairline. It was dry, flaky skin and using sulfates exasperated it in my case.

ReptilianFeline
December 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM
My scalp used to be really flaky and itchy when I used regular shampoo. it was a bit better when I went sulfate-free but not as good as I wanted it. When I went no-poo my scalp seemed happier than ever. So, I'm no-poo. I make sure I have something scrubby in the mix so I scrub my scalp and that seems to help, but... I do have a couple of problem spots on my scalp that I give extra attention to. I have found that neem oil on the problem spot stops the itch for a day or two. So does rocacae (sp?) medication gel. I have tried aloe vera gel, but that doesn't really help as long as the neem or rocacea medication.

I know one thing... it isn't easy to find a working sollution for scalp problems, and sometimes it isn't on the entire scalp either. Consider this: you get a shampo that fixes the problem spots but makes the rest of the scalp problematic?
Anyway. Keep on trying to find what works for you!

spidermom
December 29th, 2018, 10:10 AM
The last time I had a flare of SD, the doctor told me not to let my hair be wet for hours - dry it. That helped a lot.

lapushka
December 29th, 2018, 10:23 AM
The last time I had a flare of SD, the doctor told me not to let my hair be wet for hours - dry it. That helped a lot.

Also a very good tip. I seem to "get away" with air drying for 2-4H, it's almost never 4H though, but a little air drying does it some good as well. I haven't had a flare up in a while!

Reyesuela
December 30th, 2018, 02:26 PM
dagny - That sounds so much like me! Many ’natural’ sulfate- and cone-free years. They worked when they worked.

Reyesuela - My whole family besides me has oily skin. I’ve always thought that dry skin was normal for me because I’ve always had it.

And regarding the Nizoral - It boosts hair growth as a side effect? Wohoo. I’m not going to expect any new growth, but still hoping, you know. But wait, hair growth, not thickening? :(

Seems that I have to rethink my washing routine, but I’ll gladly start using sulfates again if that’s all it takes to stop the itching and flaking.

Take a look at the distribution for the low-sebum-gene: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABCC11#/media/File:World_map_ABCC11_A_Allele.svg

White is the percentage of the population that will have less oil than anyone with the black color gene variant. :) Hubby has a double-white gene--kids are split, I'm double-black. LOL.

You seem to need a double-dose of the white mutant variety to be one of the lucky ones who basically gets very little armpit BO.

guska
December 31st, 2018, 03:53 AM
So I bought the Nizoral from my local pharmacy, but the package doesn’t say the concentration of ketaconazole which is really weird. And do I have to use my regular shampoo (in this case H&S) when I use Nizoral? The instructions doesn’t say anything about that. I tried to ask a clerk but we misunderstood each other and he kept explaining to me that this was a medical shampoo, which I of course know lol.

It’s been four days since I washed my hair with shampoo and my scalp is fine! Guess it really was down to the shampoo/sulfates. No itching at all but there is some powdery sebum visible when I gently scratch my scalp :/ My hair, on the other side, looks dead without CO. It’s not as shiny as before.

Take a look at the distribution for the low-sebum-gene: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABCC11#/media/File:World_map_ABCC11_A_Allele.svg

White is the percentage of the population that will have less oil than anyone with the black color gene variant. :) Hubby has a double-white gene--kids are split, I'm double-black. LOL.

You seem to need a double-dose of the white mutant variety to be one of the lucky ones who basically gets very little armpit BO.

I have no armpit odor, AFAIK lol, and my sweat doesn’t smell :)

lapushka
December 31st, 2018, 07:54 AM
So I bought the Nizoral from my local pharmacy, but the package doesn’t say the concentration of ketaconazole which is really weird. And do I have to use my regular shampoo (in this case H&S) when I use Nizoral? The instructions doesn’t say anything about that. I tried to ask a clerk but we misunderstood each other and he kept explaining to me that this was a medical shampoo, which I of course know lol.

It’s been four days since I washed my hair with shampoo and my scalp is fine! Guess it really was down to the shampoo/sulfates. No itching at all but there is some powdery sebum visible when I gently scratch my scalp :/ My hair, on the other side, looks dead without CO. It’s not as shiny as before.

No Nizoral replaces your shampoo. Like I mentioned. You wet your hair, then apply it to your scalp (distribute well, and enough of it, not a coinsize or so), suds it up and then *leave it on* for 5 to 10 min. I recommend 10 min. Then further lather up the suds on your head and wash your scalp with it well, then rinse. That's all.

There has to be an indication of what is in this product. HAS TO BE!

MusicalSpoons
December 31st, 2018, 08:12 AM
guska are you able to upload a photo of it? Does it have a leaflet inside telling you what it is and how to use it? (Legally required for all medications here, presumably things are similar in the rest of Europe.)

lapushka
December 31st, 2018, 08:32 AM
guska are you able to upload a photo of it? Does it have a leaflet inside telling you what it is and how to use it? (Legally required for all medications here, presumably things are similar in the rest of Europe.)

Hence my "HAS TO BE". I also wanted to hint at it being a requirement. There is no way that they won't mention it, at all.

A picture would be nice!

guska
December 31st, 2018, 09:09 AM
The Nizoral I bought has 2% of the active substance. It was written as 20 mg/ml on the packaging instead of 2%, which is why I missed it in the first place, how embarrassing :doh: And there is a list of ingredients in this product on the backside of the packaging and of course in the leaflet inside. The leaflet says how it is used and how often, but not if it replaces regular shampoo. Now I know that it does, thanks for clarifying that lapushka :)

Here is a link to the one I bought, as I’m unable to post a picture for now: *link removed*

MusicalSpoons
December 31st, 2018, 09:27 AM
Oh that's good :thumbsup:

lapushka
December 31st, 2018, 10:12 AM
Yes that's awesome!

I hope it clears the issue up for you! The itch might go right away or after a few washes, the longer you keep it on (don't go over 10 min.) the better. Our leaflet used to say 5 min. now it says 5 to 10. Beats me how that happened!

guska
December 31st, 2018, 10:18 AM
Yes that's awesome!

I hope it clears the issue up for you! The itch might go right away or after a few washes, the longer you keep it on (don't go over 10 min.) the better. Our leaflet used to say 5 min. now it says 5 to 10. Beats me how that happened!

My leaflet says to wait 3-5 min before rinsing :confused:

Reyesuela
January 1st, 2019, 09:40 PM

I have no armpit odor, AFAIK lol, and my sweat doesn’t smell :)

Mine does. Lol. Hubby uses no deodorant and doesn’t need to.

I would use a separate conditioner with Nizoral.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2019, 04:23 PM
My leaflet says to wait 3-5 min before rinsing :confused:

By all means then let it sit for max. 5 min. It may be a different formula than we have in BE. Always do what your leaflet says. So let it sit for 5 instead of 10, please!

guska
January 3rd, 2019, 02:25 PM
Forgot to keep you updated :doh: My latest washing session was on December 31st last year lol. I used about one tablespoon of the Nizoral, distributed it evenly on my scalp and massaged thoroughly. Some of the lather went to my hair. I let the shampoo marinate for five minutes as per the instructions on the leaflet, and then rinsed carefully. Conditioned the lengths and jumped straight into the sauna.

Now a few days later my scalp is doing fine :) No itching at all but there is some dry, powderous sebum. Again, only visible if I scratch my scalp. I don’t know, should I just live with it? I’m otherwise completely content with my scalp-situation.

Doreen
January 3rd, 2019, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about the remaining sebum if your scalp isn't itching anymore, guska. I think it's pretty normal (at least, normal for me, and doesn't cause me any problems as long as I maintain my wash schedule).

sophia_
January 3rd, 2019, 02:40 PM
The only thing I've found that stops my scalp from itching is daily washing- if I skip it, it itches. I think mine might be wrapped up in my head, if I don't wash it I'll be thinking about it all day and itch it, but what helps, helps.

Cate36
January 3rd, 2019, 04:28 PM
The only thing I've found that stops my scalp from itching is daily washing- if I skip it, it itches. I think mine might be wrapped up in my head, if I don't wash it I'll be thinking about it all day and itch it, but what helps, helps.

I've really noticed that stress causes my scalp to itch.. especially because the stress of late is to do with my hair!

I am trying not to wash every day.. At the moment I wash every other day with Bondi Boost hair growth shampoo, which is organic and very gentle with peppermint in it which really cleans my scalp.

HOWEVER, on the days that I don't wash, when my scalp starts to itch, fist I make myself NOT itch.. then I put on a relaxation app on my phone, that talks me through breathing, letting muscle groups relax etc.. and by the time I'm 2 mins in, my scalp has stopped itching.. so it really can be stress related..

lapushka
January 3rd, 2019, 04:31 PM
You did great, guska! Just stick with it, wash 2x a week with it and do this for at least a month. Then if it's all gone (don't expect flakes or weird sebum to go on first use), you can think of switching back to your old routine.

Obsidian
January 3rd, 2019, 04:35 PM
Forgot to keep you updated :doh: My latest washing session was on December 31st last year lol. I used about one tablespoon of the Nizoral, distributed it evenly on my scalp and massaged thoroughly. Some of the lather went to my hair. I let the shampoo marinate for five minutes as per the instructions on the leaflet, and then rinsed carefully. Conditioned the lengths and jumped straight into the sauna.

Now a few days later my scalp is doing fine :) No itching at all but there is some dry, powderous sebum. Again, only visible if I scratch my scalp. I don’t know, should I just live with it? I’m otherwise completely content with my scalp-situation.

Sometimes if I have extra gunk on my scalp I'll wash with my regular shampoo then apply the nizoral. Not every wash of course but every three or four during a SD flare.

CocoBean
September 8th, 2021, 12:46 PM
I did some research on what causes fungus on the scalp, since I've determined THAT is MY issue. Lots of different causes, but can be transferred human to human, from towels, pillow cases, etc. Then I came across a solution, it named a plant in the Latin term: Azadirachta indica which is Neem oil!! Lo and behold, I have Neem oil, and got it recently for my plants (great bug deterrent). When I looked at my bottle, it actually says it's good for scalp issues. So I got a cotton swab stick and applied it to my hot spots, and well, I have to say: NO MORE ITCHING!! Give it a try ladies, it might help you with those itchy spots. Apparently scalp fungus damages the hair follicles causing fall out, so best to treat asap. Hope this helps someone!!

Kathie
September 8th, 2021, 02:56 PM
I did some research on what causes fungus on the scalp, since I've determined THAT is MY issue. Lots of different causes, but can be transferred human to human, from towels, pillow cases, etc. Then I came across a solution, it named a plant in the Latin term: Azadirachta indica which is Neem oil!! Lo and behold, I have Neem oil, and got it recently for my plants (great bug deterrent). When I looked at my bottle, it actually says it's good for scalp issues. So I got a cotton swab stick and applied it to my hot spots, and well, I have to say: NO MORE ITCHING!! Give it a try ladies, it might help you with those itchy spots. Apparently scalp fungus damages the hair follicles causing fall out, so best to treat asap. Hope this helps someone!!

Interesting! I've also seen neem oil as an ingredient in some hair products.

CocoBean
September 9th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Really? Need to look for them. Just wish it didn't smell so bad. Need to find out if I can add some essential oils to a small batch to cover the awful smell.

Kathie
September 9th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Really? Need to look for them. Just wish it didn't smell so bad. Need to find out if I can add some essential oils to a small batch to cover the awful smell.

I saw them in an Indian market. I wish I could tell you the sames of the products, but I just saw them in passing.

JasminxCat
September 9th, 2021, 11:06 PM

When I'm spot treating with oil, I mainly use eucalyptus and it reeks too, or at least I can't stand the smell of it. I wear it at night then wash it out the next day

CocoBean
September 10th, 2021, 09:20 AM
When I'm spot treating with oil, I mainly use eucalyptus and it reeks too, or at least I can't stand the smell of it. I wear it at night then wash it out the next day
Jasmin I've tried cedarwood oil, my fave is Frankincense. It helps with the itch. But noticed immediate relief with Neem oil.

I saw them in an Indian market. I wish I could tell you the sames of the products, but I just saw them in passing.
Saw some shampoos on Amazon with Neem oil. Did look to see if they were sulfate free, etc. You can also add Neem oil to a small amount of your own shampoo for washing/treating.