PDA

View Full Version : Shedding

Cate36
December 26th, 2018, 06:15 PM
I didn't wash my hair for a day.. so I get that this can cause more shedding.. but sheesh.. I just washed my hair and had a heart attack over how many stands came out.;. I'm trying to think how many there were.. the thing is, long hair looks worst when it sheds.. I NEVER used to worry about it.. but now I am in major stress over anything coming out.. I think at least 30 strands when I wash come out.. and then the usual drop when I walk around through the day... it worries me..my hair looks fluffy after washing so it doesn't look as thin.. but I worry...

It's growing at the front.. by fringe is now more than halfway down my nose..

I just SO want the stress to stop and to be assured I'm not going bald.. I'm seriously thinking about going to see a trichologist or something to try and get through this stage...

Does hair shed more in Summer?

blackgothicdoll
December 26th, 2018, 06:17 PM
You are severely stressed and anxious, and yes that will cause hair fall.

I would highly advise consulting some sort of professional, a trichologist, or even a psychologist/counselor for you anxiety and symptoms of obsession. You need someone to help you get to the root of why you are so obsessed and stressed, and teach you some coping mechanisms to regroup and refocus your energy.

Cate36
December 26th, 2018, 06:56 PM
You are severely stressed and anxious, and yes that will cause hair fall.

I would highly advise consulting some sort of professional, a trichologist, or even a psychologist/counselor for you anxiety and symptoms of obsession. You need someone to help you get to the root of why you are so obsessed and stressed, and teach you some coping mechanisms to regroup and refocus your energy.

I know.. I've been so so stressed. :-(

blackgothicdoll
December 26th, 2018, 06:59 PM
I know.. I've been so so stressed. :-(

I understand. Whether you're stressed about life, or appearances, beauty, etc., stress is part of life. But if you can't get it under control, it can destroy your life in more ways than just simply your hair. And I don't always believe it's as simple as "stop stressing" *snap fingers* and it's a miracle, not stressed anymore! Sometimes we need help with that, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Have you considered possibly counseling, or do you have friends you can talk to?

There's also a friendship forum, which is private as opposed to this forum we're in that is public. I'm sure you could vent there and people would be happy to just be supportive or lend you advice.

Cate36
December 26th, 2018, 07:34 PM
I understand. Whether you're stressed about life, or appearances, beauty, etc., stress is part of life. But if you can't get it under control, it can destroy your life in more ways than just simply your hair. And I don't always believe it's as simple as "stop stressing" *snap fingers* and it's a miracle, not stressed anymore! Sometimes we need help with that, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Have you considered possibly counseling, or do you have friends you can talk to?

There's also a friendship forum, which is private as opposed to this forum we're in that is public. I'm sure you could vent there and people would be happy to just be supportive or lend you advice.

that's really helpful thank you.. I'll look for it now! It really does help talking and being on here for sure..

Corvana
December 26th, 2018, 08:42 PM
If it helps any at all, you lose about 100 hairs a day on average. And honestly they don't all come out of your hair when they come out of your scalp.

So if you lose 100 hairs, and 80 come all the way out of your hair, that's 20 extra loose hairs in your hair just hanging around. The next day, the same thing but now it's 40 extra hairs. And so on until you wash, and all those extra hairs come out!

That thought helps me when I see how many sheds I get in the shower. For me it's a week to two weeks of stuck sheds, and it seems like a TON! But then I remember it's been a week to two weeks since they all came out and that some of those hairs have been chilling for awhile. Brushing never gets 100% of the sheds out!

Cate36
December 26th, 2018, 09:56 PM
If it helps any at all, you lose about 100 hairs a day on average. And honestly they don't all come out of your hair when they come out of your scalp.

So if you lose 100 hairs, and 80 come all the way out of your hair, that's 20 extra loose hairs in your hair just hanging around. The next day, the same thing but now it's 40 extra hairs. And so on until you wash, and all those extra hairs come out!

That thought helps me when I see how many sheds I get in the shower. For me it's a week to two weeks of stuck sheds, and it seems like a TON! But then I remember it's been a week to two weeks since they all came out and that some of those hairs have been chilling for awhile. Brushing never gets 100% of the sheds out!

That's super helpful.. also SO good to see how much growth you had between Oct 2017 and Oct 2018!

-Fern
December 26th, 2018, 11:37 PM
I just showered and probably lost about fifty hair strands (totally normal for me), so thirty sounds pretty okay, too. :)

Cate36
December 27th, 2018, 01:22 AM
I just showered and probably lost about fifty hair strands (totally normal for me), so thirty sounds pretty okay, too. :)

Thanks so much for that.. How often do you wash fern?

Corvana
December 27th, 2018, 01:45 AM
That's super helpful.. also SO good to see how much growth you had between Oct 2017 and Oct 2018!

Thanks! I think it's nice to see too :laugh: Next October I'll have a 2017-2019 one! I can't wait.

Ylva
December 27th, 2018, 02:40 AM
30 shed strands when washing is like nothing. I lose that easily.

lapushka
December 27th, 2018, 05:26 AM
I didn't wash my hair for a day.. so I get that this can cause more shedding.. but sheesh.. I just washed my hair and had a heart attack over how many stands came out.;. I'm trying to think how many there were.. the thing is, long hair looks worst when it sheds.. I NEVER used to worry about it.. but now I am in major stress over anything coming out.. I think at least 30 strands when I wash come out.. and then the usual drop when I walk around through the day... it worries me..my hair looks fluffy after washing so it doesn't look as thin.. but I worry...

It's growing at the front.. by fringe is now more than halfway down my nose..

I just SO want the stress to stop and to be assured I'm not going bald.. I'm seriously thinking about going to see a trichologist or something to try and get through this stage...

Does hair shed more in Summer?

TBH, and can I be frank? :flower:

I think you have started to obsess over your hair quite a bit and that's not good.

30 strands for 2 days is *nothing*! Normally you can lose up to 100 strands daily. So it's all just *fine*!

Can you remember my mantra? Benign neglect. Soon I will come haunt you with those words. LOL! :lol:

ETA/

When I detangle (brush) at the end of the week, after a week of "loosely" finger detangling, I lose 3 palms full of hair. Totally full, I shed "beasts". As long as you aren't losing thickness, it is all just fine. And don't start obsessively measuring your circumference because within a year those numbers can vary, season to season.

-Fern
December 27th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much for that.. How often do you wash fern?

2-3 times a week. :)

Danglish
December 27th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Do you put your hair up a lot? As others have said, we do lose 100-120 strands a day, and if it's been up the entire time, then showering time is the only time your scalp has a chance to get rid of all those strands. And then you're actually losing less than expected

snorkie
December 30th, 2018, 11:45 PM
We lose lots of hair thru the day...more than you would realize. If you could collect every hair you shed thru the day, it would probably scare you. Don’t panic, take your vitamins, eat a good meal and don’t forget your hair oil!

Cate36
December 30th, 2018, 11:58 PM
TBH, and can I be frank? :flower:

I think you have started to obsess over your hair quite a bit and that's not good.

30 strands for 2 days is *nothing*! Normally you can lose up to 100 strands daily. So it's all just *fine*!

Can you remember my mantra? Benign neglect. Soon I will come haunt you with those words. LOL! :lol:

ETA/

When I detangle (brush) at the end of the week, after a week of "loosely" finger detangling, I lose 3 palms full of hair. Totally full, I shed "beasts". As long as you aren't losing thickness, it is all just fine. And don't start obsessively measuring your circumference because within a year those numbers can vary, season to season.

:) just read this.. love you Lapushka X

Cate36
December 30th, 2018, 11:59 PM
We lose lots of hair thru the day...more than you would realize. If you could collect every hair you shed thru the day, it would probably scare you. Don’t panic, take your vitamins, eat a good meal and don’t forget your hair oil!

I'm wearing it down all the time now, so I do notice hair fall but not massive.. so calming a little.. I can feel it thickening on my scalp.. so that is a good sign... X