PDA

View Full Version : sensitive scalp

hollygolightly
December 26th, 2018, 07:07 AM
My scalp has been feeling so sensitive lately. I used to sleep in a top knot holded with a claw clip and now I can't because it hurts a lot. I would say that sometimes even finger combing is painful. Anyone knows what can I do? I've been through a lot of stress lately, I'm on my last exams at university, maybe that could be the reason

Joules
December 26th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Are you no-poo or sulfate-free by any chance? My scalp used to be unbearable when I avoided sulfates.

If not, maybe it's just length changes. I could wear high buns when I was APL-BSL, now that my hair is longer and heavier top knots are forever just a dream.

I'm not sure if stress could have anything to do with it, it can cause hair loss, but scalp pain? Maybe someone here experienced something similar?

hollygolightly
December 26th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Are you no-poo or sulfate-free by any chance? My scalp used to be unbearable when I avoided sulfates.

If not, maybe it's just length changes. I could wear high buns when I was APL-BSL, now that my hair is longer and heavier top knots are forever just a dream.

I'm not sure if stress could have anything to do with it, it can cause hair loss, but scalp pain? Maybe someone here experienced something similar?

actually I did became sulfate free weeks ago, maybe that could be the problem. I will go back to sulfates and see what happens, i've never had any problem using them, I just wanted to see if sulfate free shampoos did something special to my hair

lapushka
December 26th, 2018, 08:19 AM
actually I did became sulfate free weeks ago, maybe that could be the problem. I will go back to sulfates and see what happens, i've never had any problem using them, I just wanted to see if sulfate free shampoos did something special to my hair

Might just be that you need to clarify-wash. You could go back to sulfate-free, but at least every 2 weeks to a month do a clarify-wash.

hollygolightly
December 26th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Might just be that you need to clarify-wash. You could go back to sulfate-free, but at least every 2 weeks to a month do a clarify-wash.

ok thanks!

Cg
December 26th, 2018, 11:06 AM
It's probably typical that as hair grows we have to use different tools and techniques. Perhaps your hair has simply reached a tipping point and it's time to rethink the night time claw clip. I remember reaching that no-claw point and my hair and scalp felt immediately better.

Stress is likely compounding your issues too. Stress compounds everything.

ReadingRenee
December 26th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Just wanted to chime in and say that I realized this was my problem a while back as well. My scalp got really sensitive and hurt to even switch the parting of my hair to a different side. I realized that since I went to mostly CO, that this is when the problem started. I clarified, and then went back to sulfate free with clarifying whenever I feel like my scalp is sore and it made a huge difference. My theory was that my roots got too heavy with buildup or something. Might be worth a try.

hollygolightly
December 26th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I realized this was my problem a while back as well. My scalp got really sensitive and hurt to even switch the parting of my hair to a different side. I realized that since I went to mostly CO, that this is when the problem started. I clarified, and then went back to sulfate free with clarifying whenever I feel like my scalp is sore and it made a huge difference. My theory was that my roots got too heavy with buildup or something. Might be worth a try.

I showered with a sls shampoo and my scalp hurt literally just by existing. I didn't even touch it or anything. I think it was because my hair was wet and it created a little more weight. Now that is dry it doesn't hurt at all, so thanks for the advice. I also think it was because of the build up, I think I will finish my bottle and go back to sls. Besides, my sulfate free shampoo contains silicones and I think that can create a lot of build up

ReadingRenee
December 26th, 2018, 12:57 PM
I showered with a sls shampoo and my scalp hurt literally just by existing. I didn't even touch it or anything. I think it was because my hair was wet and it created a little more weight. Now that is dry it doesn't hurt at all, so thanks for the advice. I also think it was because of the build up, I think I will finish my bottle and go back to sls. Besides, my sulfate free shampoo contains silicones and I think that can create a lot of build up

Yikes! if you had a sulfate free shampoo but with silicones, it seems like that would build up even faster. I have a shampoo like that and I gave it to my husband because it just didn't work for me. I am so glad that now that it's dry it doesn't hurt anymore. I notice my hair is a little more frizzy and fly away now that I am not COing, but oh well at least my scalp doesn't hurt anymore! :D

hollygolightly
December 26th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Yikes! if you had a sulfate free shampoo but with silicones, it seems like that would build up even faster. I have a shampoo like that and I gave it to my husband because it just didn't work for me. I am so glad that now that it's dry it doesn't hurt anymore. I notice my hair is a little more frizzy and fly away now that I am not COing, but oh well at least my scalp doesn't hurt anymore! :D

Now I know what i'll do with that shampoo! I'll give it to my boyfriend, he was using it to wash his beard when he came to my house anyway. I'm glad your scalp doesn't hurt anymore :)

lapushka
December 26th, 2018, 03:57 PM

I'm glad you got that solved! I also could not deal with sulfate-free. But we're all different (thank goodness). :)