PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate free shampoo

Sparkles122
December 24th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Im pretty sure ive tried sulfate free shampoo in the past and from what I remember they made my hair sticky and my roots greasy. Its been so long that I could be wrong. Id like to give them another chance. Can someone who is more experienced give me pros and cons about sulfate free shampoo?

Kalamazoo
December 24th, 2018, 08:32 PM
I googled "sulfate reactions" & then went to the 1st article that came up, which was

https://www.allergy.org.au/patients/product-allergy/sulfite-allergy

Personally, I avoid sulfates because I don't like the asthma attacks that they give me. I prefer avoiding trips to the ER.

blackgothicdoll
December 24th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I googled "sulfate reactions" & then went to the 1st article that came up, which was

https://www.allergy.org.au/patients/product-allergy/sulfite-allergy

Personally, I avoid sulfates because I don't like the asthma attacks that they give me. I prefer avoiding trips to the ER.

I think you have sulfate mixed up with sulfite, according to the link you posted.

Kalamazoo
December 24th, 2018, 09:07 PM
I thought they were the same thing. I will have to do some reading. Thanks!

Kalamazoo
December 24th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Well, I googled "do sulfates cause cancer". I haven't had time to read what came up, but I think I'll stay away.

Kalamazoo
December 24th, 2018, 09:33 PM
I think my opinion of sulfates is going to turn out to be the minority view. Since they are so common in so many products, they must have some good points to them.

I'm a pretty extreme health food nut in general. I've had croupe/allergies/asthma/sinusitus for most of my life, & I've found the best way to deal with it is to avoid most foods & most cosmetics that are sold here.

So, OP, you asked for the pros & the cons. I can only give you the cons. Somebody else will have to come along & give you the pros.

And it is entirely possible that I am mistaken here & there. While I like to come across as a know-it-all, in fact, ah well...

Please forgive me if I've come across as too strident.

There are lots of good, intelligent, sensible folk on rhis website who think sulfates are wonderful. I need to stop yacking so somebody who knows more than I do can speak up.

Corvana
December 24th, 2018, 11:08 PM
There are many different levels of sulfate free! Some will strip your hair just as much as your bog standard sulfate shampoo. I don't remember which, though :hmm:

I prefer sulfate free for the most part, as my scalp gets wicked itchy with sulfates. I do still clarify with sulfates once every other month or so, though! I've got very hard water, so my products (and minerals from the water) always build up.

Kalamazoo
December 24th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Here's an article by Dr. Mercola:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/13/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.aspx

Begemot
December 25th, 2018, 01:15 AM
I'm not afraid of sulfates since they are generally well tolerated but they can be harsh for hair and skin. My personal experience is that I usually need to use more of the sulfate free shampoo in order to get my hair properly clean. I'll just wash my hair twice in a row, basically. It sounds like a hassle but to me it's worth it because my hair feels lovely afterwards. Not dry and static the slightest (this is a huge victory since it's winter where I live). It also took some time to find a brand that works for me. Years ago there was no sulfate free products in markets at all so I ordered couple online but weren't too impressed. So it's about trial and error, like with any other product.

Joules
December 25th, 2018, 02:05 AM
Unless you're allergic to sulfates, they're fine. If you read the studies on sulfates carefully, they cause internal issues only if ingested, and who in their right mind would drink shampoo?

So yeah, if sulfates don't cause you itching and discomfort, don't even bother switching. Sulfate-free shampoo can wreck your scalp if you're on the oilier side, and based on what you said about those shampoos not cleansing your hair enough, I think you are on the oilier side. They sure as hell did give me issues, and I'm not even that oily (it took me a while to develop them though). And please, don't believe the "stripping natural oils" bs, sebum isn't a nice natural oil, it's dirt that breeds fungus and bacteria. As long as you're using a good ph-balanced shampoo, you should be fine.

Hir itself can be protected from drying effects of sulfates with oils and deep conditioners.

Kalamazoo, Dr. Mercola thinks HIV doesn't cause AIDS and cell phones cause brain cancer. He's a fraud, not a real doctor.

akurah
December 25th, 2018, 02:59 AM
Here's an article by Dr. Mercola:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/13/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.aspx

Dr. Mercola makes outright illegal claims. I would not give him the time of day. See: https://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

Sulfates are harmless unless you are allergic. Whether or not you use them should be based on whether or not you like how your hair feels after using them or not using them. I personally don't like how gummy and gunky my hair feels after using a sulfate-free shampoo, so I use sulfates.

Kalamazoo
December 25th, 2018, 05:35 AM
Hmmm... I have a lifelong history of allergies & asthma. Fragrances really set me off... When it comes to eating, I'm trying to avoid all (and I do mean ALL) artificial additives. I definitely react to MSG (which hides under MANY names on ingredient labels). So hydrolyzed anything is a no-no for me. So is gelatin. I can't walk into Walmart & find ANY shampoo or conditioner on the shelf that I'm NOT allergic to. (I've been able to order Earthly Delight Shampoo & Pomade via walmart.com, but that brand isn't on the shelf at the brick & mortar store in my neighborhood.)

I've done a little reading on sulfates vs. sulfites in the past couple of hours. I learned that they differ by one oxygen atom, & that sulfates are essential to our health.

But then it gets confusing, because I read that sulfates are a major component of industrial air pollution. So I'm wondering if one word, sulfate, is being used to describe two different substances. Because essential sulfates that are natively part & parcel of healthy food have got to be different from sulfates in air pollution. I mean, it's clear that air pollution is bad for you and food's good for you, & saying that both contain sulfates doesn't change the fact that air pollution is bad for you.

So let's talk about the sulfates in shampoo: Where are they coming from? Are they coming from food? Or are they coming from industrial waste products? (That's an objection to fluoride in toothpaste -- Some say that it's coming from the scrapings of smokestacks at manufacturing plants.)

But I'm really not a very good source of info on what sulfates in shampoos do, because they're mixed with such a multitude of other ingredients that I can't tolerate, that it's impossible to tell what's giving me trouble. ... Which is why I'm trying to go additive-free, trying to figure out how to concoct my own, & looking at shampoo recipe books.

Kalamazoo
December 25th, 2018, 05:45 AM
Sulfites: To those, I'm definitely allergic. I visited a church that was serving real wine (instead of Welch's Grape Juice) for Communion. I wound up with a foghorn coughing attack. (I mean, I coughed so loudly that I felt like I sounded like a foghorn.) It was very disruptive & quite embarrassing. It made me wonder if I had some major spiritual problem interfering with me taking Communion. Somebody (Was he the church elder who was talking to me?) said, wine makers put sulfites into wine (besides what's there naturally). I guess I'm just one of that lucky 5-10% of the population who get asthma attacks from sulfites.

lapushka
December 25th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Well, I googled "do sulfates cause cancer". I haven't had time to read what came up, but I think I'll stay away.

That is going a little too far, IMMHO. Anything can cause cancer in that vain, aluminum deodorants, maybe look that one up and you'll be surprised at what you all find.

My dermatologist says it's fine, and so I trust him rather than the internet. :)

Kalamazoo
December 25th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Yes, I know about aluminum deodorants. So I tried the natural ones, including the rocks that said that they were aluminum-free. Turned out, they were aluminum. So I've moved on to coconut oil, or other oils, sometimes with EOs mixed in, sometimes not.

Ah well, you know the joke about health food nuts: "Someday, they'll be dying ... of absolutely nothing!"

nycelle
December 25th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Im pretty sure ive tried sulfate free shampoo in the past and from what I remember they made my hair sticky and my roots greasy. Its been so long that I could be wrong. Id like to give them another chance. Can someone who is more experienced give me pros and cons about sulfate free shampoo?

It really depends on the shampoo. Some clean better than others. How you wash also matters. I wash twice and use a scalp brush since I love an extremely clean scalp.

I've been sulfate free for a year or so now. In my case, they're irritating and cause my scalp to get itchy.
Either I have a sensitivity to them, or they're just too drying for me. Either way, what I've been doing works for my scalp health so I won't go back to using them.

If you prefer sulfate shampoos, then continue using them. There's no right or wrong answer.

Sparkles122
December 25th, 2018, 08:58 AM
It really depends on the shampoo. Some clean better than others. How you wash also matters. I wash twice and use a scalp brush since I love an extremely clean scalp.

I've been sulfate free for a year or so now. In my case, they're irritating and cause my scalp to get itchy.
Either I have a sensitivity to them, or they're just too drying for me. Either way, what I've been doing works for my scalp health so I won't go back to using them.

If you prefer sulfate shampoos, then continue using them. There's no right or wrong answer.

I do really like sulfate shampoos and thats what ive always mostly used. However, I have to wash my hair every other day and because of my recent damage to my hair, it can be a little rough on it. I have natural regrowth so my scalp gets oily and itchy and thats why I have to wash every other day

lapushka
December 25th, 2018, 09:37 AM

I do really like sulfate shampoos and thats what ive always mostly used. However, I have to wash my hair every other day and because of my recent damage to my hair, it can be a little rough on it. I have natural regrowth so my scalp gets oily and itchy and thats why I have to wash every other day^

Absolutely! I can't go without sulfates either, my scalp is really picky. I have tried, but my SD (seborrheic dermatitis) would not have it.

You could try and that's about all you can do. It can be a good thing for you, you never know. :flower:

Jo Ann
December 25th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Sparkles, if you want to try a sulfate-free shampoo, why not pick up a travel-size bottle and give it a go? It won't be as expensive as getting a full-size bottle, only to find out you (or your hair or scalp) don't like it.

From my experience, some sulfate-free shampoos will foam, rather than lather, which takes some getting used to. I've had no problems, but I also use a sulfate shampoo once every 4-8 weeks, depending on how often I change my hair color (I use semi-permanent dyes, and use shampoos like Head & Shoulders or Prell to fade the color) or just to "clarify" and remove any build-up I might get from the sulfate-free shampoos.

Let your hair and scalp be your guide.

Ylva
December 25th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Kalamazoo: Sulfates are detergents that cleanse things (like soap, but it's not soap, it's a different kind of cleanser) and they don't actually enter your body through skin, so no, they don't cause cancer unless you drink them. Sulfites, which you are allergic to, are used as preservatives in food, as far as I know, so they have nothing to do with sulfates found in cleansing products.

Kalamazoo
December 25th, 2018, 11:44 AM
I think everybody should use what works for him or her. It's going to be different for every body, because every one of us is genetically & chemically & historically different from everybody else who ever lived. It's truly amazing how unique we all are.

Just for fun, I found some more bad news about soap and everything in it:

https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/tips/5-allergens-in-soaps-cause-dermatitis.htm

OK, I have a weird sense of humor.

But seriously, there are medicines that are administered by skin patches; so that's evidence that what touches our skin does get absorbed into the bloodstream.

In my personal experience, I've noticed that eating 1/4 cup of blueberries drastically improves my vision. It makes all the blues much more intense & all the colors prettier. When I dyed my hair with blueberries, I mashed up just 4 berries & added them to my hair mask. Those 4 berries on my scalp affected my vision every bit as much as eating 1/4 cup.

Joules
December 25th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Just for fun, I found some more bad news about soap and everything in it:

https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/tips/5-allergens-in-soaps-cause-dermatitis.htm

OK, I have a weird sense of humor.

But seriously, there are medicines that are administered by skin patches; so that's evidence that what touches our skin does get absorbed into the bloodstream.

There's information in that article (about parabens and breast cancer) that has been debunked recently. Why would I believe everything else?

My point is to read actual scientific studies and not random articles online.

About blueberries could be just placebo effect. Our skin is designed to protect us from the environment, it absorbs miniscule amounts, if anything at all.

MusicalSpoons
December 25th, 2018, 03:51 PM
But seriously, there are medicines that are administered by skin patches; so that's evidence that some of what touches our skin can get absorbed into the bloodstream if the molecules are small enough and scientifically proven to do so.

Fixed it for you :wink: (not everything is absorbed by the skin. Many things are not, because their molecules are too big or cannot chemically make their way into the bloodstream.)

Regarding that article - if you search enough there are articles about how almost anything is bad for you. I'll point you to this website to illustrate the point: http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html (Btw, dihydrogen monoxide is essential for life - without it, no life would exist on this planet.)

I do agree with you that we should use what we know to work for our bodies, definitely. Some people have to use sulphates to maintain a clean and happy scalp; some people have to avoid sulphates to maintain a clean and happy scalp; some people have to use only water, and some people have to use only their own sebum to keep their scalps happy and healthy :shrug:

Kalamazoo
December 25th, 2018, 08:12 PM
I suppose Dihydrogen Monoxide might also be known as H2O? Thank you. I needed that.

Somewhere, I've got a book that I found in the Humor section at Barnes & Noble, Everything Is Bad For You. I guess I need to look at it again. Life has been getting too scary lately.

Thank you, MusicalSpoons!

Jo Ann
December 25th, 2018, 08:15 PM
And now I'm reliving my college chemistry class from *mumbles* almost 40 *stops mumbling* years ago :p

megthehennahead
December 29th, 2018, 03:04 PM
My scalp is happier without sulfates - it always felt super sensitive after a wash with sulfate shampoo. I think it's definitely worth researching, particularly given the recent damage that you're trying to combat.

I've been pleased with my results from this line: https://www.ogxbeauty.com/shop/bonding-plex/
It claims to be similar to Olaplex, but in a much cheaper shampoo/conditioner form. If you've used and like OGX in the past, I would definitely recommend this one!

Sparkles122
December 29th, 2018, 03:07 PM
My scalp is happier without sulfates - it always felt super sensitive after a wash with sulfate shampoo. I think it's definitely worth researching, particularly given the recent damage that you're trying to combat.

I've been pleased with my results from this line: https://www.ogxbeauty.com/shop/bonding-plex/
It claims to be similar to Olaplex, but in a much cheaper shampoo/conditioner form. If you've used and like OGX in the past, I would definitely recommend this one!

Does it cleanse your scalp well?

megthehennahead
December 29th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Does it cleanse your scalp well?

Yes! My hair and scalp feel very clean after washing and I get 2 good days (occasionally I can eek out a third) of being able to wear my hair down/loose and have it look clean. I usually wash every 3-4 days, and days 3 and 4 are definitely still presentable enough for a bun or french/dutch braid without looking too dirty.

MusicalSpoons
December 29th, 2018, 03:24 PM
I suppose Dihydrogen Monoxide might also be known as H2O? Thank you. I needed that.

Somewhere, I've got a book that I found in the Humor section at Barnes & Noble, Everything Is Bad For You. I guess I need to look at it again. Life has been getting too scary lately.

Thank you, MusicalSpoons!

You're welcome :thumbsup: and I'm glad you took it in the spirit in which it was intended; I wasn't sure how it came across at the time :)

littlestarface
December 29th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Best sulfate free shampoo iv'e ever used chi :inlove:

Zesty
December 29th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Sulfate free usually gave me flakes and a gunky scalp after more than a few washes. I tried many and the one that was tolerable was Shea Moisture's coconut line shampoo. But I still got flakes. Sulfate-free works well for some people, but I'm not one of them.

Now I shampoo twice with sulfates and lately use a scalp massager/shampoo scrubber thing as well, and that is what makes my scalp happy. :shrug: I compensate for it by conditioning the bejeezus out of my length and ends.

Sparkles122
December 29th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I get flakes in a day or 2 of using sulfate shampoo, so as interested as I am in sulfate free, I just dont think its going to work out for me

lapushka
December 29th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I get flakes in a day or 2 of using sulfate shampoo, so as interested as I am in sulfate free, I just dont think its going to work out for me

That depends. Is your hair oily? Does H&S shampoo usually work? Then indeed, I would not go sulfate-free; but if that's not the case sulfate-free may even get rid of the flaking. It's worth a shot. And if it doesn't work out, you can use the rest as body wash or in a handsoap container.

Reservechic
December 29th, 2018, 05:10 PM
If someone's hair can stand using sulfate shampoo on it, then that is perfectly fine. For those that can't there's always sulfate shampoo or other types of cleansers they can choose to cleanse their hair with. Everyone's hair and scalp needs are different, so one can choose to use whatever they find best meets their hair and scalp's needs when it comes to cleansing such with.

I prefer to use sulfate-free shampoo for the most part at this time in my hair journey. I need to get my hair and scalp as clean as possible, but in a non-stripping way, because I do suffer with a very dry, itchy, flaky scalp, due to my scalp eczema, and also because my hair is naturally very dry as Ellen. Now, when I am feeling lazy or strapped for time, I will use an actual co-wash instead.

However, of course there are no rules when it comes to what an individual should or should not be using on their hair. One can only find what works best for their hair through trial and error. As, our hair is and will always be the best indicator of what actually works best on it and what doesn't!

MusicalSpoons
December 29th, 2018, 05:36 PM
That depends. Is your hair oily? Does H&S shampoo usually work? Then indeed, I would not go sulfate-free; but if that's not the case sulfate-free may even get rid of the flaking. It's worth a shot. And if it doesn't work out, you can use the rest as body wash or in a handsoap container.

FWIW my scalp is most definitely oily, and sulphate-free got rid of my flakes. I think I stated upthread it *may* not have specifically been the sulphates (I've since found the grand total of one SLES product my scalp is happy with!), but sulphate-free certainly made a huge difference. However if H&S does completely work after a few washes, it may well be best to stick with that.

Sparkles122
December 29th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Where my natural regrowth is coming in is oily and I have an oily scalp

lapushka
December 30th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Where my natural regrowth is coming in is oily and I have an oily scalp

Well... you won't know unless you try. No one can *really* tell you what it's going to do. Just a lot of guesses. :shrug:

illicitlizard
December 30th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Sulfates are harmless unless you are allergic. Whether or not you use them should be based on whether or not you like how your hair feels after using them or not using them. I personally don't like how gummy and gunky my hair feels after using a sulfate-free shampoo, so I use sulfates.
^^ This 100%.

I've done a little reading on sulfates vs. sulfites in the past couple of hours. I learned that they differ by one oxygen atom, & that sulfates are essential to our health.

But then it gets confusing, because I read that sulfates are a major component of industrial air pollution. So I'm wondering if one word, sulfate, is being used to describe two different substances. Because essential sulfates that are natively part & parcel of healthy food have got to be different from sulfates in air pollution. I mean, it's clear that air pollution is bad for you and food's good for you, & saying that both contain sulfates doesn't change the fact that air pollution is bad for you.

So let's talk about the sulfates in shampoo: Where are they coming from? Are they coming from food? Or are they coming from industrial waste products? (That's an objection to fluoride in toothpaste -- Some say that it's coming from the scrapings of smokestacks at manufacturing plants.)

Why would it matter where the sulfates were coming from if they have the same chemical structure? Idk just seems too similar to the 'natural = better always' argument which grinds my gears. The sulfates in pollution vs haircare likely differ too, since sulfates are just a group of molecules with the SO42− ion e.g. both epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and SLS are sulfates but aren't the same thing at all. There isn't a singular compound that can be described as a sulfate.

FWIW my scalp is most definitely oily, and sulphate-free got rid of my flakes. I think I stated upthread it *may* not have specifically been the sulphates (I've since found the grand total of one SLES product my scalp is happy with!), but sulphate-free certainly made a huge difference. However if H&S does completely work after a few washes, it may well be best to stick with that.

Same, switching to sulfate free (in both hair and skincare) was really helpful to stop my scalp flaking/itching. Kind of annoying though as I like the clean feeling sulfate shampoo gives to my hair, it just isn't compatible with my skin :/

snorkie
December 30th, 2018, 11:36 PM
My favorite shampoos are the bar variety from Lush Cosmetics. Brazilliant is my absolute go to. Lathers well, is easy on stained hair, and smells wonderful.

Ylva
December 31st, 2018, 07:41 AM
My favorite shampoos are the bar variety from Lush Cosmetics. Brazilliant is my absolute go to. Lathers well, is easy on stained hair, and smells wonderful.

Lush shampoos have sulfates, as far as I know.

MusicalSpoons
December 31st, 2018, 07:47 AM
Why would it matter where the sulfates were coming from if they have the same chemical structure? Idk just seems too similar to the 'natural = better always' argument which grinds my gears. The sulfates in pollution vs haircare likely differ too, since sulfates are just a group of molecules with the SO42− ion e.g. both epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and SLS are sulfates but aren't the same thing at all. There isn't a singular compound that can be described as a sulfate.

Same, switching to sulfate free (in both hair and skincare) was really helpful to stop my scalp flaking/itching. Kind of annoying though as I like the clean feeling sulfate shampoo gives to my hair, it just isn't compatible with my skin :/

Exactly! Though I believe they generally use lauric acid derived from palm kernel oil or coconut oil, which is deliciously ironic :rollin:

Yeah, I do understand that fluffy and light feeling isn't necessary for the hair to be clean, but I also miss it!

Lush bars are, as far as I understand, just basically concentrated SLS shampoo.

Kalamazoo
January 3rd, 2019, 05:32 AM
Well, now here's a sulfate-free shampoo!

https://www.hairbuddha.net/homemade-egg-shampoo-clean-strengthen-your-hair/

:henny:

And here's another interesting article by the same author:

https://www.hairbuddha.net/traditional-hair-care-4-ways-to-naturally-beautiful-hair/

:run::run::run::run::run::run:

Joules
January 3rd, 2019, 06:35 AM
Well, now here's a sulfate-free shampoo!

https://www.hairbuddha.net/homemade-egg-shampoo-clean-strengthen-your-hair/

:henny:

And here's another interesting article by the same author:

https://www.hairbuddha.net/traditional-hair-care-4-ways-to-naturally-beautiful-hair/

:run::run::run::run::run::run:

Why do people continue using questionable (and sometimes totally disgusting) food shampoos when there're all kinds of nice products on the market? I mean, unless you have a mysterious health condition that makes you allergic to literally everything but eggs and soap nuts... Why?

I went through similar obsession with everything natural when I was 16. I tried washing my hair with egg yolks, and it was the worst hair month of my life. It barely cleaned my scalp, it dried out my hair, it made my hair smell nauseating, the process itself was absolutely disgusting and it put me at risk of getting salmonella poisoning. It's been 8.5 years and the memory of it still makes me shudder. Now excuse me, I need to go and smell some Pantene to stop the flashbacks.

ReadingRenee
January 3rd, 2019, 09:45 AM
I have done a lot of experimenting with sulfate and sulfate free shampoo and I have come to the conclusion, at least right now in the winter that I need sulfate free or my scalp gets so dry and itchy. I will try in the summer and see if I get the same results.

I was hoping that people had some good recommendations for sulfate free shampoo. The Shea moisture line is too heavy for my hair, and I feel like its greasy the next day.

Right now I use Carols Daughter black vanilla but anybody else use something sulfate free that they love?

Sparkles122
January 3rd, 2019, 10:50 AM
The only sulfate free shampoo ive tried is called Broo shampoo, ive tried to love it and I dont. I hate how my scalp and hair feels. I was going to try the loreal sulfate free line, but I really dont want to keep putting my hair through all these trials. I guess i just love sulfates and silicones

nycelle
January 3rd, 2019, 10:58 AM
I have done a lot of experimenting with sulfate and sulfate free shampoo and I have come to the conclusion, at least right now in the winter that I need sulfate free or my scalp gets so dry and itchy. I will try in the summer and see if I get the same results.

I was hoping that people had some good recommendations for sulfate free shampoo. The Shea moisture line is too heavy for my hair, and I feel like its greasy the next day.

Right now I use Carols Daughter black vanilla but anybody else use something sulfate free that they love?

I used the Black Vanilla for a while until my hair went into protein overload. I still use it every few weeks to get my protein dose.

For sulfate free, I love Not Your Mothers Natural Blue Sea Kelp and Coconut Water. It's one of my faves. But for whatever reason, right now they're only selling it at Ulta. You can get the other NYMN lines from most drugstores, walmart, target, but not this one. It's in the dark blue bottles.

eta: One of the reasons I love it is because it cleans well, and it's not heavy at all, not even the conditioner. It's their middle of the road product between very light, and heavy oil based shampoos/conditioners.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2019, 05:10 PM
Lush bars are, as far as I understand, just basically concentrated SLS shampoo.

Yes the Lush bars contain sulfates, they are not "regular" soap/shampoo bars.

Lush is *known* to put sulfates in everything, even their conditioners, while you hardly find that on the regular market!

Taliesin
January 3rd, 2019, 06:09 PM

I use L'Oreal Ever Strong. First few times I used it I got crazy good volume but that has since stopped (unfortunately). I like it well enough, it does the job. Still trying to figure out if there's any benefit to it for me using sulfate free vs sulfate, I use a regular sulfate shampoo once in a while too for a bit of clarifying. The "L'Oreal Ever ___" line has other varieties too, I use the one for fine hair (not sure it makes a difference though!).

catabear
January 4th, 2019, 12:50 AM
I only wash my hair 1-2x a week, but it loooves Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla shampoo. My hair is curly and prone to dryness, so I've been going the sulfate-free route and I'm loving it!

desisparkles
January 4th, 2019, 01:46 AM
I like the Giovanni brand of sulphate free shampoos.

giovanni root 66 max volume & giovanni triple tea treat shampoo are the 2 I've tried and I like them both. The Triple Tea Treat makes my scalp tingle and I always use a shampoo brush so I also believe that helps.

https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/jump/product/Natural-Tea-Tree-Triple-Treat-Shampoo/1000410599?ta=triple%20te

Katsura
January 4th, 2019, 03:34 AM
I tried them, also together taking turns with SLES -shampoo, until my scalp started giving me hell. Now I'm looking back, I might even try cones.

Lady Stardust
January 4th, 2019, 04:44 AM
I stumbled into using sulphate free shampoos by accident. I wanted to avoid silicones - I don’t think they’re the devil but I prefer my hair without them. I might want silicones again later as my hair gets longer but for now I’m happy without them.

I found the range of silicone free products that were also cruelty free to be quite limited, and I’ve ended up using sulphate free just because the product ranges that fit the bill are sulphate free. The first one I used was from the Bodyshop Rainforest range and it might as well have been a sulphate, it made my scalp itch and was too strong for me. When I realised that Naked products had been reformulated into the Noughty range I went straight back to those. Naked products weren’t sulphate free but Noughty are.

As I said, I stumbled there by accident, but now I don’t want to switch. My scalp and my hair are much happier.

ReadingRenee
January 4th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the great recommends guys. Im going to check some of these out and look for NYMs blue kelp and coconut water next time Im in an Ulta.

My husband just got this Loreal Elvive clay "rebalancing" shampoo that supposedly has no sulfates or cones . I haven't tried it yet though.

Sparkles122
January 5th, 2019, 09:20 AM
So I feel like a pretty big dum dum right now. I was organizing shampoo and conditioner bottles when I looked closer at one of my Biolage ones. On the front of the keratindose shampoo it says sulfate free! Lol I really had no idea this shampoo is sulfate free and in the past ive used it for sometimes long stretches of time with no issues. Can someone tell me if this is truly sulfate free?

https://i.postimg.cc/xkVKw23P/3-D35-FCB5-2-C31-4-E11-86-FC-5-FC4-B6-E04-F5-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xkVKw23P)

https://i.postimg.cc/Z9W1M6jN/AD7435-BE-6184-412-C-95-B0-882095-A943-E6.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Z9W1M6jN)

MusicalSpoons
January 5th, 2019, 09:49 AM
It is sulphate-free but there are several different surfactants in there - the five ingredients after water are all surfactants, so I'd think it would probably get your hair pretty clean. That's possibly why it worked fine for you?

Sparkles122
January 5th, 2019, 10:41 AM
It is sulphate-free but there are several different surfactants in there - the five ingredients after water are all surfactants, so I'd think it would probably get your hair pretty clean. That's possibly why it worked fine for you?

That makes sense, because without looking at the bottle I would bave never known it was sulfate free. Unlike the broo shampoo brand which is very obviously sulfate free