PDA

View Full Version : Going insane over my hemline :D :D

Melkoroth
December 24th, 2018, 07:44 PM
So im a guy... i always had long layered hair.... now i cut it at home to a straight blunt hemline cut....

Thing is.... my hair is wavy, my hair can act really crazy. And now i feel like my hemline is really uneven. I cant really cut more to make it more balanced because i already cut it too short.
Its really hard for me to do 100% straight hemline because my hair is so wavy.

so here are some pics : https://imgur.com/a/FkfDf5D https://imgur.com/a/eUeCaix . On the first pic it looks uneven... on the second one it looks good.... i dont even know anymore :D

Should i just wait to grow it out ? Do u think it looks ridiculous on the first pic ?

I should probably also mention that i suffer from body dysmorphia and i obsess over every detail....

I want to grow my hair to my waist... so all i want is to start with a good base. But all i see now is an uneven hemline :D and i dont know if its just me being paranoid or if it really looks ridiculous.

blackgothicdoll
December 24th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Your hair is very beautiful.

Going for an even hemline on hair that has a texture is just not something I would try to do, because your hemline will vary from day to day. So yes, when your hair is straight (if you straighten it) and you cut it blunt, it's blunt then. But once your pattern returns, it won't be anymore. And the next day, it may be different, and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do anymore cutting or bother with the hemline, it'll drive you crazy. Just grow it out and see what it does. :)

Kalamazoo
December 24th, 2018, 08:12 PM
A year ago, I tried to trim my fairy-tale ends. I thought I'd get them blunt & then grow out to some incredible length & then trim regularly to grow out the layers.

Well, it's been over a year since that trim. I've done S&D daily, but no real trims.

And in that year, my hair has grown unevenly, so that the ends look as fairy-tale as ever.

So I decided that for me, with my particular set of follicles, it isn't worth it to trim. I just want the length for now.

I may change my mind in the future.

ETA: My hemline's a W. Just thought that would make you feel good.

akurah
December 24th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Curly and wavy hair does not lie down well for a straight hemline. Don't cut it further, you have it as good as it is going to get for having curls there, just let it be

Ophidian
December 24th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Can confirm the above. ;)

ETA: your hair looks great. If you are anything like me, if you try to get it perfect you’ll start with “let me just even up this one piece” and then wind up bald.

yahirwaO.o
December 24th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Hey man! Im a guy too who used to be a hem perfectionist. Like others have already mentioned, texture hair especially when its not super long can easily change its shape from day to day. A perfect neat cut can only be noticed on natural straight hair or poker straight, so I wouldn't go mad about it in your case (besides you did a fairly good job)

For me however since my hair is on the straighter side, i kinda have to pay extra attention without being crazy psycho obsessive about a perfect cut either. So now I just allow myself for some mistake room and only go for u or v shapes, its too much job for a straight line and usually get away easier with a round shaper versus blunt. (My avatar is very prolonged u shape, kinda blunt in the base not so perfect that goes upwards dramatic cause currently i have face framing layers and angles)

Bonus tip wavy and curly hair look fantastic in a u or v shape and if you see a longer strand just try point cut to soften any hash cut,

cjk
December 24th, 2018, 11:25 PM
So im a guy...

So am I! Nice to meet you.

Thing is.... my hair is wavy, my hair can act really crazy. And now i feel like my hemline is really uneven. I cant really cut more to make it more balanced because i already cut it too short.

Your hair has a very pronounced texture. Lots of women would spend hundreds of dollars at salons to get what you have, naturally.

But you've already answered your own question. You already cut it, you're dissatisfied with the results, and you think it's already too short. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

Put down the scissors.

Its really hard for me to do 100% straight hemline because my hair is so wavy.

Then you have three choices.

First, learn to LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Second, continue cutting it yourself, hopefully learning as you go.

Third, have someone else cut it.

on the second one it looks good.... i dont even know anymore :D

Freaky isn't it?

Anything organic is going to be slightly irregular anyway. But even if you get it looking perfect, eventually you'll move. And Heaven forbid you wash your hair, it'll spring because of the reduced weight.

In fact that's the underlying idea behind a deva cut, but that's a very specialized approach.

Should i just wait to grow it out ? Do u think it looks ridiculous on the first pic ?

We are each our own worst enemy. All those little flaws your brain sees, no one else will ever notice.

If I'm being brutally honest you're right. Looking at it critically, a little tweaking could make it look even better. But you did a pretty good job, and not one that will draw negative attention.

I should probably also mention that i suffer from body dysmorphia and i obsess over every detail....

See my statement immediately above.

I want to grow my hair to my waist... so all i want is to start with a good base. But all i see now is an uneven hemline :D and i dont know if its just me being paranoid or if it really looks ridiculous.

Your hair looks perfectly fine. Is that a sufficiently clear statement?

But I will say this. Your hair will not draw negative attention. But your body language, particularly your discomfort with your hair, will likely telegraph your discomfort to others.

I had to get used to having a short haircut when I cut my pompadour into a military styled flattop. The hair looked good...I looked uncomfortable. At least for a brief while.

I required an attitude adjustment. Inside me. What worked for me was not paying it any attention. Rather than worrying what others would think, which was really in my imagination anyway, I just said "f--- it, this is my hair." I DECIDED to wear it confidently, without concern.

Cate36
December 24th, 2018, 11:34 PM
You boys have lovely hair! yahirwaO.o your hair looks so thick and shiny... I love men with long hair...

lapushka
December 25th, 2018, 06:48 AM

It looks fine. I think you did a good job trimming - I would not worry about it at all. If we say that, it means a lot!

Are you in therapy for your issues? If you don't want to answer that, it's fine; just thought I'd ask.

It's not your hair that is the issue, that's for sure!

It's really pretty.

Just leave it alone, and maybe joining the no-trimming challenge for 2019 will get your mind off of this.

-Fern
December 25th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Welcome to LHC! I think it looks totally fine, I also have wavy hair, and even when I had a professional cut it, it would look wonky because my curls form differently every time it dries. The longer it gets, the easier it will be! The weight of your hair will start to pull the wave out more, so it'll look more and more consistent.

blackgothicdoll
December 25th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Your hair looks perfectly fine. Is that a sufficiently clear statement?

But I will say this. Your hair will not draw negative attention. But your body language, particularly your discomfort with your hair, will likely telegraph your discomfort to others.

I had to get used to having a short haircut when I cut my pompadour into a military styled flattop. The hair looked good...I looked uncomfortable. At least for a brief while.

I required an attitude adjustment. Inside me. What worked for me was not paying it any attention. Rather than worrying what others would think, which was really in my imagination anyway, I just said "f--- it, this is my hair." I DECIDED to wear it confidently, without concern.

cjk, you should totally give pep talks. I always enjoy reading your posts about confidence when people on this forum are unsure about their hair/accessory/appearance choices. They are always great messages that anyone can take home. :)

Arciela
December 26th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Your hair looks fine to me! As it grows longer it will probably seem better to you :) Mine was like that too when I cut it..now, beyond APL it looks fine to me :D

Todd
December 26th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I agree with the others. Leave it alone and let it grow. Its a long way to waist; there will be plenty of opportunities to "adjust" it if need be, but for now you just have to give it time. In a year or a couple of years, there might be an obvious need for a trim, but who knows, maybe not! No need to fix anything when it isn't broken.

zashin66
December 26th, 2018, 11:47 PM
I'm going to chime in with everyone else!! Looks great don't touch it... Just let it grow and the ladies will love it (and lads too)

spidermom
December 27th, 2018, 06:48 AM
No more cutting (for now). Let it grow. I agree with everyone else: wavy hair looks different from day to day. Your hem will never look perfectly straight and even. If it really bothers you, pull it back into a ponytail so you don't see it and get busy with other things.

yahirwaO.o
December 27th, 2018, 06:41 PM
You boys have lovely hair! yahirwaO.o your hair looks so thick and shiny... I love men with long hair...

:o Thanks Cate. Now i'm going to let it grow and grow!!!

Ju
December 28th, 2018, 04:14 AM
My hair is like yours. I had really bad ends for a really long time and so spent a lot of time microtrimming and general trimming just to get it to a healthiness i like, and to get it to be all one length. I've basically achieved that, save for a few sections of hair that are still too short to reach my shoulder length hemline, but for a while I kept obsessing over ensuring that it was the most blunt it could possibly be.
Ultimately I realised that my hemline looks the best it can right now, and I should love it because its what I pined after for over two years. And I do, I love it.
Now I'm leaving the scissors alone (it took a lot of hard effort to be strong enough not to keep picking them up!) and am preparing for a 6 month no trimming challenge.
The funny thing is - I used to go like two years without trims when I was younger, and had no problem with it and in fact was afraid of cutting it - but it ultimately was never really in good condition. So the thought of not trimming makes me anxious not only with respect to ruining my nice hemline that I've taken a long time and lots of hard work to achieve - but also that by putting down the scissors I will end up like I did when i was younger - with long but rubbish hair.
But then I remember that I no longer use heat on my hair up to twice a day for hours at a time, I wear protective styles, I have a good haircare regime, I know how to S&D, and so everything should travel just fine.
At the end of the day, for me I really just want to achieve my long hair goals (gunning for BSL for now!).

I hope you can find peace in the gorgeous hemline that you have, and find comfort in neglecting to pick up the scissors on a frequent schedule.

clandestine
December 28th, 2018, 02:10 PM
I think your hair looks just fine. I wouldn't stress over trimming more to get it even, the waves are going to win in the end :p

lunalocks
December 28th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I think your hair looks great! Let it grow. It will look great in a pony. Curlies I know cut theirs when it is dry just FYI but DON'T CUT IT! let it grow and see what it does. For me, the longer my hair gets, the wavier it is. Look at every day being an adventure and variety being the spice of life.

Flossiebell
December 28th, 2018, 05:26 PM
I know exactly what you mean - I’m also a bit obsessive with hemline. I cut my wavy/curly hair whilst damp and when it starts to curl as it dries I can see a piece that (to me) looks obviously longer than the rest......very frustrating! Although other people say it looks fine. Am just trying to forget about it at the moment - wurly hair will do it’s own thing no matter what so just have to go with it lol