PDA

View Full Version : Best coney free drugstore conditioner for co washing?

jtschoof
December 23rd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Well, title mentions it all.. Does anyone have good experiences with a drugstore conditioner for co washing?
I'm still searching for one but they all contain some silicones which I heard is not proper for co washing.

Reservechic
December 23rd, 2018, 10:14 AM
There are a lot of people that have had good results with the Suave Essentials Conditioners and VO5 Conditioner, as they are all silicone free and super cheap. However, I see that you are located in the Netherlands, so if Suave Essentials or VO5 conditioners are not available in your area, then simply browsing through the hair care isles and finding a very low cost conditioner that is silicone free, and simply giving it a try would be a good option. Also, if possible, you can try using an actual co-wash/cleansing conditioner available in your area that is silicone free and is super affordable as well, and see how that works.

I wished that I lived in the Netherlands and could give you a wide range of silicone free rinse out conditioners to choose from to co-wash with, but hopefully, someone from the Netherlands (or anyone else who is familiar with different hair care brands in that area) will be able to provide you with more info.

Also, I would like to add that the originator of the Curly Girl Method, Lorraine Massey, when she initally started co-washing her hair, she was using a conditioner by Nioxin that is filled with cones, and she first started selling her DevaCurl products all of them weren't silicone free, which there were followers of hers that called her out on such, and then that is what later propelled her to make all of her products silicone free. At this time, she no longer is associated with DevaCurl, however, she still promotes the same things to avoid while on the Curly Girl Method. Which is why, there are some people that co-wash strictly with silicone free conditioners or actual co-washes, however, there are others that do not. It has to do with what works best for your hair, overall. Because there are water soluble silicones and then are non-water soluble silicones, and you actually don't have to use a super harsh clarifying shampoo to get out such. As, there are surfactants that are listed here on the forum that have the ability to remove non-water soluble silicones from the hair completely.

Well, I certainly do wish you all the best with your co-washing journey, okay!

lapushka
December 23rd, 2018, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure there's a lot available in The Netherlands, and ordering internationally comes with high costs. There's the Herbal Essences line, the Loving Blends line; you would all have to check the ingredients because I don't know which ones are silicone-free.

Reservechic, Suave and V05 to my knowledge is not available in The Netherlands. ;)

Robot Ninja
December 23rd, 2018, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure if these are available in your country, but Tresemme Perfectly Undone and one of the conditioners in their Botanique line (it's the one with a really strong coconut smell; the other two have cones, so check the ingredients and avoid it if you don't like overpowering coconut smell) are cone-free and fairly cheap.

MusicalSpoons
December 23rd, 2018, 03:20 PM
I suggest having a look in supermarkets, drugstores, and if you have any discount stores (like Netherlands equivalent of Dollar Tree or Poundland). Ingredients lists are fairly straightforward to interpret; if it ends in -(c)one or -(x)ane it's a silicone (except methylisothiazolinone and the other one that looks similar; they are preservatives). If you're not sure, you can Google the ingredient(s) confusing you, or ask here :)

I did a little search but couldn't find much info, but I did see Kruidvat sells Inecto which should be -cone free. It's might be worth checking Kruidvat's own-brand products in case they do one or some without cones :)

EDIT: you can almost certainly discount Herbal Essences unless they have a significantly different formulation for the continental market; they proudly proclaim to sell silicone-free lines but it only applies to shampoo! If the Garnier formulations are the same as here, you'll probably find one or two cone-free.

EDIT 2: Most of my cone-free conditioners are really random brands I've never heard of from discount shops (not available online at all), and they do a decent job. It really is worth going and looking in person if you can.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2018, 03:55 PM
I did a little search but couldn't find much info, but I did see Kruidvat sells Inecto which should be -cone free. It's might be worth checking Kruidvat's own-brand products in case they do one or some without cones :)

Good suggestion! Only the coconut version is silicone-free, though.

MusicalSpoons
December 23rd, 2018, 04:49 PM
Good suggestion! Only the coconut version is silicone-free, though.

Oh, I've got the shea, cocoa butter (I think) and bamboo ones too - maybe I misread the ingredients :bigeyes:

Ylva
December 23rd, 2018, 04:51 PM
Oh, I've got the shea, cocoa butter (I think) and bamboo ones too - maybe I misread the ingredients :bigeyes:

Or they could have a different formula in your country.

MusicalSpoons
December 23rd, 2018, 04:54 PM
Or they could have a different formula in your country.

:doh: true! I was *so* surprised to see Inecto over here (only in one place) that I think I assumed it was all the same :oops:

lapushka
December 23rd, 2018, 05:05 PM

We in BE only have the citrus (?) version and the coconut and the other one has silicones!

MusicalSpoons
December 23rd, 2018, 05:54 PM
We in BE only have the citrus (?) version and the coconut and the other one has silicones!

Wow, different availability is crazy: it seems on the kruidvat.nl website they have coconut, shea, almond, and argan (the latter 2 I haven't seen over here) :shrug: No ingredients info though so if OP wants to investigate, an ingredients check is *certainly* advised!

[Note to brain: let it go! You're too tired for this!]

Dark40
December 23rd, 2018, 08:00 PM
I agree with Reservechic. You can order Suave and VO5 online at Walmart or Amazon. It is really cheap. Now, you may have to pay for shipping but I really think it's worth it.

lapushka
December 24th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Wow, different availability is crazy: it seems on the kruidvat.nl website they have coconut, shea, almond, and argan (the latter 2 I haven't seen over here) :shrug: No ingredients info though so if OP wants to investigate, an ingredients check is *certainly* advised!

[Note to brain: let it go! You're too tired for this!]

Mind you this was years ago, in Holland & Barrett that they had this selection, in Belgium of course. The Netherlands & Belgium are still 2 totally different countries. ;)