PDA

View Full Version : Is this a shampoo or a conditioner?

blackgothicdoll
December 23rd, 2018, 09:24 AM
Functionally speaking. Based on the ingredients, could I really expect this to cleanse my hair on its own? I've used it in between washes and it was better than a conditioner, but I'm not sure if I could really trust it to get hair clean.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81g5-D7VabL._SY679_.jpg

AQUA / WATER / EAU, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, SODIUM COCOAMPHOPROPIONATE, HYDROXYPROPYL STARCH PHOSPHATE, BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, MENTHOL, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, MENTHA PIPERITA (PEPPERMINT) LEAF EXTRACT, LIMONENE, GLYCINE SOJA OIL / SOYBEAN OIL, TOCOPHEROL, LINALOOL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS OIL / ROSEMARY LEAF OIL, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, CITRONELLOL, JUNIPERUS COMMUNIS FRUIT OIL, BHT. F.I.L.#D178275/1

Ophidian
December 23rd, 2018, 09:36 AM
So the 3rd ingredient is a surfactant, and the others to my knowledge are more conditioner-typical ingredients. So it’s basically a cowash from what I can tell—maybe on the richer side? I’m sure someone with more ingredient knowledge could help you break it down further. As to whether it would get your hair clean on a regular basis, you’d probably have to test that out. What is your routine currently like? If you’re using a sulfate shampoo on the regular this would probably be a big adjustment. But if you’re already sulfate free or cowashing or something like that it shouldn’t be a huge difference unless your hair disagrees with something in this specific formulation. I hope this answers your question somewhat, though I know it basically sums up to “try it and see” :)

Obsidian
December 23rd, 2018, 09:36 AM
Its a cleansing conditioner made for co-washing. It wouldn't get my hair clean but if co washing works for someone, this should be a good product.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2018, 09:38 AM
AQUA / WATER / EAU, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, SODIUM COCOAMPHOPROPIONATE, HYDROXYPROPYL STARCH PHOSPHATE, BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, MENTHOL, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, MENTHA PIPERITA (PEPPERMINT) LEAF EXTRACT, LIMONENE, GLYCINE SOJA OIL / SOYBEAN OIL, TOCOPHEROL, LINALOOL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS OIL / ROSEMARY LEAF OIL, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, CITRONELLOL, JUNIPERUS COMMUNIS FRUIT OIL, BHT. F.I.L.#D178275/1

It says it is a cleansing "balm", so it's like a CO-wash. I actually don't see any detergents, or am I looking over them. :hmm: I think I would use it as a conditioner; not on the scalp at all. I doubt it's going to clean that much!

lithostoic
December 23rd, 2018, 09:43 AM
That's not really for us to decide. It's a cleansing conditioner but some people like myself can wash and get clean results with just a regular conditioner. If you are someone who has to shampoo to feel clean, then this probably isn't for you.

FennFire911
December 23rd, 2018, 10:04 AM
I used a sister-product to this and loved it. L’Oreal used to make 6 in 1 Ever Curl. I only don’t use it anymore because I can’t find it. I’m on the oily side and generally need to wash every other or every 3rd day. That was honestly the most amazing individual product I’ve ever used. I would have to wash twice because it simply didn’t lather and I didn’t feel I had gotten clean enough with a single wash. But I didn’t have to use any other products. Two washes with it and I didn’t need any rinse out nor leave in conditioners. My hair was shiny, soft, had plenty of slip to be easily detangled, and I could wash every 3rd day without getting greasy in between washes.
I haven’t tried this specific formula that’s labeled for colour treated hair but if it’s like the one for curlie hair it’s probably really nice. I can’t speak with any knowledge of the ingredients. I would personally call it a cleansing conditioner.

blackgothicdoll
December 23rd, 2018, 10:58 AM
I wash once a week, and I use a sulfate-free shampoo (it has coco-betaine and olefin [yes I butchered those, hopefully what I'm talking about makes sense xD]) but still even that feels very harsh sometimes. I was considering alternating with a more gentle shampoo every other wash. I do use cones here and there, and a lot of oils. Still, that aforementioned shampoo gets my hair very, very clean, and I'm starting to think I don't need that rough of a clean every week. I do, however, definitely still need to wash my hair. I guess I won't know until I try.

Yes, I remember the Ever Curl, I loved it so much!!! I wish I could remember how I actually used it though, that was years ago. Yet I do still remember the smell somehow. Useless brain -_-

lapushka
December 23rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
I wash once a week, and I use a sulfate-free shampoo (it has coco-betaine and olefin [yes I butchered those, hopefully what I'm talking about makes sense xD]) but still even that feels very harsh sometimes. I was considering alternating with a more gentle shampoo every other wash. I do use cones here and there, and a lot of oils. Still, that aforementioned shampoo gets my hair very, very clean, and I'm starting to think I don't need that rough of a clean every week. I do, however, definitely still need to wash my hair. I guess I won't know until I try.

Yes, I remember the Ever Curl, I loved it so much!!! I wish I could remember how I actually used it though, that was years ago. Yet I do still remember the smell somehow. Useless brain -_-

If that is harsh already, I'm willing to bet this will be *nice*!

MusicalSpoons
December 23rd, 2018, 11:32 AM
Based on what you've said so far, I'd think if you leave it on for long enough and massage it well enough you'll *probably* be okay. Coco-betaine and olefin sulfonate together sound like they're a clarifying shampoo, so ... it really does depend. Alternating washes sounds a good plan.

Dark40
December 23rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
It's a conditioner made for co-washing.

blackgothicdoll
December 23rd, 2018, 07:59 PM
Based on what you've said so far, I'd think if you leave it on for long enough and massage it well enough you'll *probably* be okay. Coco-betaine and olefin sulfonate together sound like they're a clarifying shampoo, so ... it really does depend. Alternating washes sounds a good plan.

Ahh, that explains it! I always thought shampoo had to have SLS to truly be clarifying.

I'll try the alternating washes. Thank you all!!

Ophidian
December 23rd, 2018, 09:24 PM
SLS is definitely on the very cleansing end of the detergent spectrum, but in my experience there are definitely others that can get you squeaky clean. I learned this when I tried a sulfate free shampoo containing olefin sulfonate, thinking it would be mild... I swear that stuff could have stripped varnish :D

Corvana
December 23rd, 2018, 09:37 PM
It says it is a cleansing "balm", so it's like a CO-wash. I actually don't see any detergents, or am I looking over them. :hmm: I think I would use it as a conditioner; not on the scalp at all. I doubt it's going to clean that much!

Yes, it has one! Sodium Cocoamphopropionate is a detergent according to cosmeticsinfo.org (https://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/sodium-cocoamphopropionate) (link is to the proper page).

What Is It?
Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Sodium Cocoamphopropionate, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate and Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate are amber liquids with a faint fruity odor. In cosmetics and personal care products, these four ingredients are used in the formulation of shampoos and other hair products, and skin cleansing products.

Why is it used in cosmetics and personal care products?
Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Sodium Cocoamphopropionate, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate and Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate clean the skin and hair by helping water to mix with oil and dirt so that these substances can be rinsed away. They also increase foaming capacity or stabilize foams. These ingredients enhance the appearance and feel of hair, by increasing hair body, suppleness, or sheen, or by improving the texture of hair that has been damaged physically or by chemical treatment.

OP it sounds like a nice cleansing conditioner for sure! It will likely do the trick for alternating washes.

lapushka
December 24th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Yes, it has one! Sodium Cocoamphopropionate is a detergent according to cosmeticsinfo.org (https://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/sodium-cocoamphopropionate) (link is to the proper page).

I had looked it up, but Google said "hair conditioning agent".