PDA

View Full Version : Scalp detox treatment

ChloeDharma
December 23rd, 2018, 08:13 AM
I just saw this video about a salon scalp treatment. It looks like an amazing thing to get done and includes magnification of the scalp before and afterwards.
Has anybody had something like this done before? I'm not sure about the expense of getting this done at a salon myself but I have recently brought some fullers earth to try on my scalp.
Anyway, I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on the advice of the trichologist and maybe it's something that could be useful for people who suffer from SD or other scalp issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS67P-274mQ

lapushka
December 23rd, 2018, 08:39 AM
Anything that says "detox", IMO = bunk. It is a fashion word these days. And the fact that the stylist without even looking at her scalp says: every day has me cringing! BTW, I don't see that many flakes on her head at all. I'm like, where is the SD? Yes, if you magnify 200x no doubt you will see flaking (in everyone).

IMO it's not that good a video to get people to deal with their scalp properly.

I would suggest a doctor if you have SD. ;)

Obsidian
December 23rd, 2018, 09:33 AM
To me, it just looks like a over priced clarifying wash. I would be interested to see a before and after with just a regular shampoo. Still, I'm not against a treatment like this as long as the person realized its not some magic treatment and its just a deep cleanse that could be duplicated at home.

Reservechic
December 23rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
I have severe scalp eczema and I undergo month UV light therapy for such and I have undergone countless laser scalp eczema treatments (which all had to be specially approved by my insurance), however, I am getting proper medical professional help for the scalp and skin disorders that I suffer with, from a dermatologist and not a trichologist. However, I don't even know if the female getting the treatment is suffering with severe scalp eczema, scalp seborrheic dermatitis or any other diagnosed scalp disorders, or eve possibly just dealing with dandruff issues. Because, I honestly didn't see anything major going on with her scalp. Schucks, her scalp looks way better mine right now, to be honest.

I would honestly say that using a scalp scrub or even an exfoliating shampoo probably could be just as effective as this treatment, or, there's always the option of using Aztec healing clay or other clays to detoxify ones hair and scalp with. And, those things are fairly cheap and one can readily done within the convenience of ones home, when ever desired.

Begemot
December 23rd, 2018, 11:30 AM
A skin condition should be taken care by a doctor. But personally I love the idea and probably would want to try this treatment if anyone provided this service near me lol. I got some kind of weird fixation with my scalp health at the moment. My hair dresser does sea weed and clay treatments that should also have a clarifying effect. I want to try the sea weed one in the near future. That vlogger has really pretty hair :heart:

Cate36
December 23rd, 2018, 03:11 PM
Oh wow.. her scalp though!!! My scalp itches! They do scalp scans at Trichologist's clinics.... I don't think it costs too much ..

MusicalSpoons
December 23rd, 2018, 03:29 PM
Oh wow.. her scalp though!!! My scalp itches! They do scalp scans at Trichologist's clinics.... I don't think it costs too much ..

It's probably best to do your own tests by eliminating things one at a time until it stops itching, before you spend money that might be unnecessary. If you do go for one, please don't buy any products without going away, doing a bit of research and really thinking it through first :flower: Their job is undoubtedly to sell as well as provide information, so no doubt even if your scalp is fine there will be ways they try to scare you into thinking you 'need' xyz products to keep it healthy. I can very confidently say: you *probably* don't.

Cate36
December 23rd, 2018, 03:41 PM
It's probably best to do your own tests by eliminating things one at a time until it stops itching, before you spend money that might be unnecessary. If you do go for one, please don't buy any products without going away, doing a bit of research and really thinking it through first :flower: Their job is undoubtedly to sell as well as provide information, so no doubt even if your scalp is fine there will be ways they try to scare you into thinking you 'need' xyz products to keep it healthy. I can very confidently say: you *probably* don't.

:( . I have used diluted tea tree oil (diluted in water) on my scalp which does help if I get itching..I use it with a cotton bud.. dilute some in a glass of water.. put a cotton bud in it, and part my hair and rub on my scalp... but I take your point... I won't buy anything else.. although the treatment she had looks great...

Ylva
December 23rd, 2018, 03:55 PM
Be careful with "diluting" EOs in water. Even though they technically aren't oils, they act like oils, and technically can't be diluted in water. You'll still get undiluted EO when it does come out of whatever container it's in. But if you find it helps, that's good! :)

Cate36
December 23rd, 2018, 04:49 PM
Be careful with "diluting" EOs in water. Even though they technically aren't oils, they act like oils, and technically can't be diluted in water. You'll still get undiluted EO when it does come out of whatever container it's in. But if you find it helps, that's good! :)

Well ...as long as it doesn't make my hair fall out or break off... :-(

Corvana
December 23rd, 2018, 08:19 PM
I think the biggest thing that did anything for her is the scalp brush. It works a bit like a good facial scrub, and if you combine it with a scalp scrub (or shampoo with sugar in it, even), then it's going to work really well at getting your scalp all nice and clean!

spidermom
December 23rd, 2018, 11:17 PM
When I feel my scalp or the hair near my scalp needs extra attention, I comb my shampoo solution over my scalp with my plastic, wide-toothed comb. My scalp and hair feel really clean after that.

Cate36
December 24th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Yes, after watching a few vids on it, I can see that really all they do is massage the scalp/steam with shampoo and natural oils, followed by a treatment on the hair...

My scalp itches a lot.. I put oil on my scalp last night and it's itdhy this morning.. I was going to try not to wash my hair today, but I am starting to think that it is better to wash it gently whenever needed, than to try and stretch out for the sake of it?

lapushka
December 25th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Yes, after watching a few vids on it, I can see that really all they do is massage the scalp/steam with shampoo and natural oils, followed by a treatment on the hair...

My scalp itches a lot.. I put oil on my scalp last night and it's itdhy this morning.. I was going to try not to wash my hair today, but I am starting to think that it is better to wash it gently whenever needed, than to try and stretch out for the sake of it?

Wash it when it needs to be, definitely. But if that itch doesn't go, I'd go to the doctor. Maybe you need medicated shampoo. A regular shampoo or shampooing more often more than likely isn't going to solve that. It might, but it might not.

Ylva
December 25th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Cate, does the itching start right after washing, or the following day? If it starts right after, maybe you're actually washing too much? Just a suggestion. People with oilier scalps are always encouraged to wash more often, but I find that my scalp actually likes not being washed despite being on the oilier side. If I want my hair to look nice (not too oily at the root), I should wash every 72 hours or perhaps even 48, but my scalp is much happier if I stretch my washes farther than that.

lapushka
December 25th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Cate, does the itching start right after washing, or the following day? If it starts right after, maybe you're actually washing too much? Just a suggestion. People with oilier scalps are always encouraged to wash more often, but I find that my scalp actually likes not being washed despite being on the oilier side. If I want my hair to look nice (not too oily at the root), I should wash every 72 hours or perhaps even 48, but my scalp is much happier if I stretch my washes farther than that.

I think she may have tried that (have I read that somewhere :hmm:) and it still itched.

Are you using the Olaplex on the scalp? Did it start with the use of that?

Any other product that could be the culprit?

If not... please go see a doctor. Something might be up.

Ylva
December 25th, 2018, 10:16 AM
I think she may have tried that (have I read that somewhere :hmm:) and it still itched.

Are you using the Olaplex on the scalp? Did it start with the use of that?

Any other product that could be the culprit?

If not... please go see a doctor. Something might be up.

Hmm, alright. In that case it certainly doesn't sound very good and I'd also recommend seeing a doctor!

When I do Olaplex treatments, I find that my scalp does start to itch a little during the treatment, likely because my scalp is staying wet for such a long time even if I didn't direcly apply Olaplex on my scalp. Some of it will get there anyway, and I start with towel dried hair, too. But that itching disappears after I shampoo it off.