PDA

View Full Version : Wetting hair everyday?

LittleOgre
December 21st, 2018, 08:06 PM
I use to wash my hair like every day or every other day but I stopped. I moved to once a week. I hated how my hair looked after a day with no washing so out of frustration. I just wet my hair and massage my scalp everytime I'm in the shower and I get the same nice fluffy soft fresh feeling even though I don't use shampoo. Do you think it's damaging to wet your hair everyday? My hair dries very quickly. I squeeze it with a towel after and it air dries in like 10 - 20 minutes. Hopefully as my hair gets longer it'll stay that way lol.

Riot Crrl
December 21st, 2018, 08:28 PM
I've always done it. Sometimes twice a day depending on my gym and/or swimming routine at the time. And mine takes a lot longer to dry.

I am between long hair at the moment, I got my hair cut short and I'm growing it back right now. This time around when it gets long again I might see how I like trying to keep it dry for a couple of days.

Kalamazoo
December 21st, 2018, 09:12 PM
If it's working for you, go for it. Sometimes that's exactly what my hair needs, too.

Ophidian
December 21st, 2018, 09:42 PM
I’ll let her speak for herself but I know hairkay water-washes every day, and there is an old member with thick, straight, knee-length hair who rinses every day in addition to cowashing. I don’t have personal experience with it but I can’t see the harm, especially since your hair dries quickly.

school of fish
December 21st, 2018, 10:49 PM
I shampoo and condition daily so yes my hair gets soaking wet every day - in fact my hair's condition suffers considerably when I *don't* wet it down, wash & replenish the moisture/slip daily.

My hair does dry rather quickly and I think that's key - I have done no research into this but my gut instinct is that damage from hygral fatigue is more of an issue on strands that stay wet for extended periods of time. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in, but I can state that it's never been a problem for me.

I think this is one of those 'if it works for you, go for it' things - beneficial for some, detrimental for others... if your hair tells you it likes to be water washed or rinsed frequently, I say give it what it wants :)

akurah
December 21st, 2018, 11:49 PM
There are apparently clear cut symptoms of hygral fatigue, and from this article, it actually looks like it's easy to tell if you have it: http://www.thenerdycurlygirl.com/2018/05/hygral-fatigue-excessive-water.html

I think as long as you like how your hair feels after washing and/or rinsing daily, and you don't experience any of the symptoms of hygral fatigue in your hair, it might actually be better for you in the long run. Being happy with your hair and scalp is the most important thing if you have any aspirations towards long hair--if you find yourself hating your hair or how it feels, you're probably doing something "wrong" (for you). I think being happy with your hair is more important.

From reading the above article, it also looks like hygral fatigue might be reversible or recoverable if you pay attention to it and make sure to stop wetting your hair the second you notice symptoms.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2018, 03:40 AM
There are plenty of folks who WO wash and some do it regularly, so I don't think it hurts, as long as it dries quickly - no problem, now if OTOH your hair would stay wet until the next day when you have to re-wet it, then no way is that OK. But you say it dries within 10-20 min. Huh? How is that even possible? :shocked: :lol:

LittleOgre
December 22nd, 2018, 05:09 AM
There are plenty of folks who WO wash and some do it regularly, so I don't think it hurts, as long as it dries quickly - no problem, now if OTOH your hair would stay wet until the next day when you have to re-wet it, then no way is that OK. But you say it dries within 10-20 min. Huh? How is that even possible? :shocked: :lol:

I have no clue maybe it's because its in loced form the water travels down faster. My hair when it was loose dried a lot slower. But now. My length dries in 10 - 20 minutes. Hair barely feels wet when I squeeE it with a towel and my scalp takes like 30 minutes to an hour.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2018, 10:07 AM
There are apparently clear cut symptoms of hygral fatigue, and from this article, it actually looks like it's easy to tell if you have it: http://www.thenerdycurlygirl.com/2018/05/hygral-fatigue-excessive-water.html

I think as long as you like how your hair feels after washing and/or rinsing daily, and you don't experience any of the symptoms of hygral fatigue in your hair, it might actually be better for you in the long run. Being happy with your hair and scalp is the most important thing if you have any aspirations towards long hair--if you find yourself hating your hair or how it feels, you're probably doing something "wrong" (for you). I think being happy with your hair is more important.

From reading the above article, it also looks like hygral fatigue might be reversible or recoverable if you pay attention to it and make sure to stop wetting your hair the second you notice symptoms.

Thank you for this, akurah. I've read about hygral fatigue, and have porous hair, but nothing has been as helpful as this article.

blackgothicdoll
December 22nd, 2018, 10:30 AM
I wet my hair every day in the summer, I would use a natural conditioner that had rosemary or peppermint in it and massage it into my scalp and rinse. My hair would take most of the day to dry, but after work I would take it out of the bun and put it in two pigtails so that it could finish drying (it would not dry in a bun).

Some say this is bad, but in the summer I have to shower two times a day, three times when I go to the gym. I'm incredibly sweaty. So at least one of those times I need to get the sweat out of my scalp, thus using a product with an antibacterial essential oil to prevent something breaking out on my scalp.

If your hair dries fast, I don't see it being a problem at all.

geenie
December 22nd, 2018, 12:53 PM
I believe hair is more fragile when its wet... which means it's more prone to breakage. But hair being wet itself, I don't believe to be damaging.

Dark40
December 22nd, 2018, 03:16 PM
I used to wash or shampoo my hair daily but I've cut back to only doing it three times a week. Or, every other day. But no, I don't think wetting it everyday damages. Whatever works for you go for it. I find at times mine needs to be wet daily again too. I also love that fresh feeling of washed hair too.

Hairkay
December 23rd, 2018, 02:26 PM
Iíll let her speak for herself but I know hairkay water-washes every day, and there is an old member with thick, straight, knee-length hair who rinses every day in addition to cowashing. I donít have personal experience with it but I canít see the harm, especially since your hair dries quickly.

Yes I do water rinses daily. It's not too harsh for my hair and I am happy with it.

Cate36
December 23rd, 2018, 02:32 PM
I used to wash or shampoo my hair daily but I've cut back to only doing it three times a week. Or, every other day. But no, I don't think wetting it everyday damages. Whatever works for you go for it. I find at times mine needs to be wet daily again too. I also love that fresh feeling of washed hair too.

Have you found an improvement in your hair since washing it less often?

Reyesuela
December 27th, 2018, 02:04 PM
There is clear evidence that the swelling from wetting your hair does cause damage. This is clearly shown by research.

That doesn't mean it gets porous. When I was able to wash my hair twice a week and wear it up, I basically had no split ends. When I had to go back to washing it daily because of using minoxidil, I started getting plenty of splits again. I'm back to every-other day as my scalp slooooooooooooooooowly adjusted to the alcohol, and I'm hoping the damage will slow way down!

Cate36
December 27th, 2018, 08:20 PM
There is clear evidence that the swelling from wetting your hair does cause damage. This is clearly shown by research.

That doesn't mean it gets porous. When I was able to wash my hair twice a week and wear it up, I basically had no split ends. When I had to go back to washing it daily because of using minoxidil, I started getting plenty of splits again. I'm back to every-other day as my scalp slooooooooooooooooowly adjusted to the alcohol, and I'm hoping the damage will slow way down!

Why did the minoxidil make you wash daily? Did it irritate your scalp?

Reyesuela
December 30th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Why did the minoxidil make you wash daily? Did it irritate your scalp?

It's the carriers for the minoxidil, not the minoxidil itself. Glycol and alcohol both made my scalp itchy and flaky if I didn't wash daily, then just flaky, and now I can go 2 days without getting flaky.

These help penetration and drying so variants without them just don't really work as well.

RottenMango
April 23rd, 2019, 06:38 PM
I wet my hair everyday as itís literally the only way that works for me to moisturize and style it.

Begemot
April 24th, 2019, 06:57 AM
I have noticed that curly textures seem to enjoy and benefit from daily wetting. It doesn't work well for me.